Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday Juice!!!!!!!!!
#182 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM

And while I do revel in the day, I just want to clarify that it's Caitlyn's birthday, not mine
#183 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Happy Birthday, Caitlyn!

HJ, :!!

Danile - way to go on the test! You are amazing.

Sarah
#184 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Somehow I dropped my log in and stopped getting updates! Grr...

Here's a brief update on me:
My mom went home on Monday. It was so hard to see her go and I am so thankful that we had the time together that we have had.

Annie is doing well. She has a pukey stomach thing going right now. Frankly, I think we caught it from the MMF crowd. Her CT scan is scheduled for Monday. Until that is over and, pray it's true, we get the positive results, I won't feel relaxed about her health.

Ellie is great. I love this age with her. She is obsessed with bones. And ballet. I am telling her all about careers in sports medicine. We're going to a women's basketball game this afternoon (Stanford vs. Oregon - I am cheering for Oregon).

Meg- I seem to have caught up after you came to a resolution about your DSS. It sounds like you handled the situation with maturity and grace - which I totally give you big credit for. It sounds like an endlessly frustrating situation.

KK- I hope the application is well received!

I dislike this smilie. laughup: I just feel that it is weird to have a disembodied head and hand and then do that with the mouth.

I don't know how to use, but really really like : and

All right, I am going to clean off my desk now. Sadly, I had so much work piling up that there are files on the shelf outside my office because the administrative staff couldn't fit it on my desk. :
#185 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 05:54 PM

That's 2 for me. Sorry Juice- I'm still learning all this stuff. I suppose I could find out oy huh? I just never go over there... Happy birthday to Caitlin!!
#186 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Danile, no worries sweetheart. It would appear that it was Jus's birthday but nope...

girls are running amok and I am fried like an egg, like huevos rancheros, and must go play puzzles.

Lisa, Sol is also obsessed with bones, who has them (Reina, our dog), who doesn't (bugs), why mommy's bones "moved" and she has to go to a bone doctor (chiro)...
#187 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just a note to FF, in case my PM doesn't work... T is running a high fever, and I feel like I'm having the initial symptoms (his started with a sore throat, I've got a sore throat, I slept in his bed last night...). Between wanting to be around to hover over him and not wanting to expose you (and Will), I don't think I should meet up with you tomorrow. I'll give you a call if you don't respond within a few hours. Sorry!
#188 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 PM

D'oh! Sorry Caitlin! I read OY but must ahve just skimmed and saw Juice. Sorry! I'm going to edit my original post! Hope your year is fantastical!!!
#189 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM

random question: anyone else dealing with selective listening w/ their may babe? I'm sure this isn't the last of it, but . ftr, I know she's hearing me because at the same volume, I asked if she wanted to go in the kitchen to get some chocolate and she hopped right up.

kk---sorry that you and T are down w/ fevers and sickies! bummer!

I'm in a grumpy mood so I'll end it there.....

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#190 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM

Heather, ask Juice allllll about this topic. Frustrating!!!!
#191 of 532 Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 PM

I'm sorry Heather... did you say something?

:

Sorry, couldn't resist. MAJOR selective listening here. An. Noy. Ing.
#192 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 AM

*ignores until someone starts yelling*
Oh um, ahem. YEP. Selective listening like WHOAH. It's SO annoying. Especially when I say "did you even HEAR ME?!?!" And he says, "yeah"

When I've asked him why he acts like he doesn't hear me he doesn't really answer me. Of course.
So anyway, yep.

More later, just checking in. I have to get to bed soon. Taking a 3 1/2 year old to a movie (The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! It was great fun) is hard! Hah.
#193 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Sherri, I have to say your original post made me really happy, because after all, it was MY first birthing day. I'm all sappy and emotional (Cancer woman here) but when I read it, I just felt applauded, and that was really nice :

And now, for something completely different:

OMG OMG OMG THE SELECTIVE HEARING!! It's maddening! My only saving grace is that Allison is not my first, and I remember *distinctly* when I had Caitlyn to her 3 year well check (albeit at least six months late), and I asked him to check her for an ear infection even though she had no symptoms. He did, but said she was fine, and why was I concerned? I told him she didn't respond when I was talking to her. He almost laughed out loud, and said, "That is very common at this age, but I promise she can hear you." I went home, and did a little experiment - I was talking to her and she was ignoring me, and without changing my tone I just inserted the phrase, "Would you like some ice cream?" and she spun around and said "YES!"

I have a whole file in my brain, it's labeled "Developmentally Appropriate But Highly Irritating."

Allison is killing me right now. She doesn't really *ignore*, she just pulls this fantastic civil disobedience thing. Ask her to do something, she says she doesn't want to. Explain that she'll need to do it anyway, and she just turns and looks at you. Stares blankly into your face, no drama, no antics, no nothing. The other day I decided to stare her down, and I swear, she didn't blink for so long I wondered if she was having a seizure of some kind : She just stands there and looks at you with the slightest pout. It's both maddening and hilarious at the same time.
#194 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:54 AM

selective hearing and EXTREMELY selective responding here, too. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! but when i resort to asking either/or situations with something that might just be the teensiest bit interesting to do, he magically responds! for example, "do you want to put your shoes on so we can go to Trader Joe's or do you just want to stay home by yourself while Stefan and I go to Trader Joe's?" (he LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES trader joe's, it's so funny...) response: "no, no, no, i want to go, i want to go, i need to get my shoes, i neeeeeeeeeeed to get my shoes..." runs off to front door area to put on shoes. :

bill went skiing today. i thought i was being nice giving him a day to himself. ha, not doing THAT again. short person meltdown occurred shortly after 430, bill was unreachable by cell (no coverage up on the mountain...???) and they stayed until the last possible moment of skiing. ummm, no. when i asked you to please consider leaving around 3-330ish because it takes close to 2 hours to get home, which would have put you at home around 530, instead of me finally resorting to calling your friend's cell phone and talking to you while child are screaming in the background and then that phone loses reception, and then you call me back 10 minutes later from still 1.5 hours away and it's 530 and both of them have been FUH-REAK-ING out for an hour already for no particular reason (marek's may have been needing to poop related, however), i'm not happy. i have an afternoon to myself to go to a friend's mama blessing tomorrow, but dang that's not enough. i'm making a massage appointment for next weekend at the coast.

and now for my chocolate cake that i'm NOT sharing.

~claudia
#195 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 AM

our developmental trick du jour is picking up on phrases and putting them into use.

'will you please come downstairs and put your pirates away?'
'i can't; i'm too busy'

:

i'm dying to go skiing but not dying enough to pay for it (+ babysitting). i'm secretly glad doug has not tried to go without me :

ok. gee all is quiet and i have some time alone and it is 11:30 and i should just go to bed!

they're talking about pulque on tv right now
#196 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 AM

pulque sounds good right about now. par-tay at our house replete with cooing not eating babe.

claudia...I had one of those kinda moments earlier. *hugs* hope tomorrow afternoon replenishes you a bit.

come on boy :::: so I can sleep already!

#197 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Was HJ up partyin' in the wee hours? Wait! Now I know why they're called "wee" hours, because "wee" people cause you to be awake during them.

TC your afternoon sounds awful. I sure hope you get a break today.

Viet and I are trying a new morning technique here, which so far, works for me! Amara wakes at the pre-dawn, wanting to nurse nurse nurse, about 2x each breast, but still can't get back to sleep, waking Sol up, and then all 3 of us are grouchy because everyone needs to have slept more, then I am launched into a day of small people's needs without so much as a cup of coffee, until I get it amidst cries and more needs...
So today at the 3rd of 4 breast-switches,

*pause to hang out with Sol while she wakes up*

As I was saying, I took Amara up to Daddy at the request for "otro" (her first time using the word!) and then went about my coffee business. Sol woke up shortly thereafter, and I can hear Amara playing upstairs, so it didn't work extremely well to get both girls to sleep more. But, I had about 20 min to myself, which is important.

The saddest thing is though, that I dropped my brand new french press from christmas, it's all of about 2 weeks old, and it's history. wah! Back to cone filter drip method, cup by stinkin cup.

So now Sol and I are snuggling on the couch while I attend to my mmf..
#198 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
The saddest thing is though, that I dropped my brand new french press from christmas, it's all of about 2 weeks old, and it's history. wah! Back to cone filter drip method, cup by stinkin cup.
This is truly sad. Ug. (I could never have one of those myself, because I'm so breaky.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
come on boy :::: so I can sleep already!
:Eat, HJ, eat!!!!: Sorry you're going through this yet again, Heather.

TC, I think that the worst period in the day is from ~4-6 (give or take an hour or so), so I feel for you wrt Bill's outing.

Selective deafness has been going on here for quite a while. Yes, if you whisper, "Raisin?" they hear you, but otherwise, no. It sounds like Z and Allison do the same things. I'm a little scared, because while he generally behaves far better than T did at 3, he's *much* harder to disclipline (ie, bend to my will) than T was. I think I've shared that I've really trained them on "I'm asking you nicely" (code for, "Dude, I'm about to YELL because I've asked you too many times!").

Have to say, Meg, I was majorly impressed with the way you handled things.

Nothing exciting here. The advice line nurse says T most likely has strep. He's had a fever over 103 (with higher spikes) for 3 days, sore throat. Yeah, I guess strep is probably it. I have a sore throat, no fever (thank goodness). I'm going to just keep pushing the liquids and probably take him to the dr. tomorrow morning. I want to keep him *away* from the little ones... I don't want this to go through our family like the last thing. (Poor kid wet his bed last night when he was incoherent from fever and took off his pull-up then didn't make it out of the bed... I went to check on him and found him naked, shivering under a wet blanket... nice.) Dh is all freaked out about the (fruit) sugar in apple juice and giving that to him when he's sick... I've tried pointing out that he needs to stay hydrated in whatever form we can manage it, but dh is a bit of a nut. (This is part of the reason I'm ditching Ferny... I don't trust dh to take care of him properly in my absence.)
#199 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Wee hours for sure. So he eventually gave in to sleep w/o eating much.

I broke my friend's french press once. Wish they were more durable! New morning routine sounds good!

kk--poor T! I'm with you on not trusting my other half's judgement especially after the girls came back from the park yesterday frozen w/ only light jackets, no hats and one pair of mittens between them!

Glad to know C is developmentally on target in the listening dept!

#200 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Juice~your post seriously made me lol. I have to make sure Saige is looking me in the eye when I talk to her if it's anything important.

She has just started telling me "not right now" when I ask her to do something.

KK~We've been dealing with a sore throat/fever thing around here too. Now K has a cough I'm worried about-He was premature and spent a week in the nicu.
I hope your lo feels better!
#201 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I am about to crack a new book that a friend loaned to me: Scream Free Parenting: the Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool. She said it was a quick read and really resonated with her. The premise is (stealing from the back cover), "Our biggest enemy is our own emotional reactivity". Ya think??????

Els, on the broken french press sitch. That sucks.

Nightweaning update: We're all good! For a couple of weeks, he was down to one waking around 2 AM, DH would go in and he would just go right back to sleep, easy peasy. For the past 2-3 nights, no wakings at all, until about 5:30 or so, at which point I go in and pray he will nurse/sleep a little longer. So as long as I go to bed at a decent hour, I am getting SLEEP. And not n a twin bed with a toddler - in my own bed!

OW! Jett just bit me. : Gotta go.
#202 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 01:51 PM

I posted a little something oy last night about a friend who is very sick and in need of lots of and .

HF, huge, massive hugs to you, girl.

KK, hope T feels better soon and that no one else gets it.

I agree with Meesa - eye contact is key!

TC, sorry you had a crappy evening. Sometimes I feel glad that I am so used to flying solo for dinner/bed time. If I were used to having help, it would make the alone times much worse. But I am pretty used to doing it all myself. If they are both melting down, obviously that's a lot worse than just handling a regular day. Anyway, book that massage and take some time this afternoon, even if it's just out for a coffee and browsing a book store.

I feel like Old Mother Hubbard. My cupboards are bare. I have already arranged for my mom to watch Jett while Mia is in school so I can do a Monster Shopping Trip this week. We are so out of everything. Serious restocking of pantry is in order.

OH! OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Did I ever mention to you all that John got his promotion????? Oh yes, my man is now the Director of Quality for Rhapsody online music service. He is still negotiating his raise, but no matter the specifics of that, there will be more money coming in to our house as of the 15th! YAY!
#203 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM

meg: rhapsody? cool. bill likes that software/web service. he even worked on a project with them up in seattle with intel. and if john ever wants some security/testing feedback on it, bill said he's happy to give some.
#204 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM

mornin!

i stayed up way too late dinking on the computer. and then ebin woke 4zillion times. doug got him at 8 but i only stayed in bed until 8:30 because i could hear him fussing. he's yawning and rubbing his eyes gee why so tired????

we have both voted on mcD's drivethorugh because we have no REAL coffee in the house i think babe must go down for his nap first.
#205 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM

babe did not go down yet but i'm hoping he will soon so i can run a couple of SOLO errands

just wanted to add that i hope T feels better. strep is SO painful.

and that is such a bummer about the french press

it is all football all the time around here we need to remove the door we put in and cut into the header to install it correctly. and then that might not even be enough and if we have to expand width-ways it will be a major pita. and it looks like it really isn't going to happen today. procrastination station. i really wanted to get it installed and locked before we leave town. i thought we were going to board our dog though and now our friend is going to take care of him (and the wounded cat). so at least that is better on the safety front.

meg - that is awesome about john's promotion!! i'm reading the positive discipline book you recommended and it is great. i just realized it is the first and only 'parenting' book i've ever read : that's pretty lame considering i've been a parent for 3 1/2 years now!! gah. of course i've read plenty of developmental stuff and dr. sears has a bit of discipline in his books.
#206 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post

I have a whole file in my brain, it's labeled "Developmentally Appropriate But Highly Irritating."

Allison is killing me right now. She doesn't really *ignore*, she just pulls this fantastic civil disobedience thing. Ask her to do something, she says she doesn't want to. Explain that she'll need to do it anyway, and she just turns and looks at you. Stares blankly into your face, no drama, no antics, no nothing. The other day I decided to stare her down, and I swear, she didn't blink for so long I wondered if she was having a seizure of some kind : She just stands there and looks at you with the slightest pout. It's both maddening and hilarious at the same time.

Oh Juice... thank you so much for the laugh. I know I shouldn't, but it was so funny! If it saves me any face for laughing at your misfortune... we are very much going through the same *so not listening when i don't want to* phase. Very selective listening.. and selective focusing. Does anyone's may baby have issues staying at the table for an entire meal? I don't mean until the adults are done.. just until THEY are done... *sigh*

Els- Sorry about your french press.

KK- Sending some serious healing vibes for your fam!

TC- I would be LIVID. But then... in those moments DH always likes to remind me that he does many more supportive and active parenting things than most of the people we know. I then remind him that I do many more healthy parenting things for our children than most of the people in our county. (We live in a VERY mainstream area... I'm one of the hippie kind of chicks... ) Definitely take some time to yourself. Breathe and relax. You deserve it.

And where is Lisa? I haven't heard from her in while.

Meg- Congrats to your DH!

That's all my babybrain can remember... LOve to you all and sorry if I forgot to respond!
#207 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Also wondering where our dear Emmalola has gone to! Hope life w/ the legumes is going okay and that you'll let us know if it's not. Thinking of you!

#208 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 PM

yes yes! EL too! And HJ- i forgot eating vibes to your lo!
#209 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 PM

alright.. since i skipped the previous chiro discussion... do any of u ladies have any experience with reflux/chiro care being helpful? Jasmine is puking and cring so much.. and since her weight isn't back up we're feeling pretty confident it is reflux since Dom has it and I have it and it runs in my family...
#210 of 532 Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 PM

I do think chiro helps reflux, but my take on it is that for certain kinds of reflux it needs to be in concert with allopathic medicine. HJ has been adjusted every two weeks so far and it seems to counteract a lot of the terrible arching he does. Arching/extension= trouble feeding ....ex. try lifting your chin and swallowing...and then tuck your chin and swallow...huge difference. He always has some tight spots in his neck/mid-thoracic and is always a much happier babe after an adjustment. That said, we also do meds because he was in pain from the spitting up and that impacted his eating and consequently my supply. Sorry she's not such a happy camper!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page