link to old thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year, y'all!

The kids actually slept/are sleeping late today! Woo hoo!

We went to a partay last night at a friend's house. They have a kindergartener and then other couple friends came and brought their kids. G was the tag-alonger with the other kids, but he had fun. Although, there was a minor injury with about each child...kind of common when a bunch of 3-6 year olds gather, I guess. G fell down a couple stairs while trying to be under a giant Thomas the Train (sounds worse than it is. He's okay). This is the first time dh and I actually went "out" on NY Eve in forever. It was a little tough for A, though, as she is such an extrovert and wanted to engage with everyone but she was so tired. I had to wear her around their house in the sling so she'd sleep at all and no NIP for her; I had to nurse her in a quiet bedroom as she was totally distracted in the living room. Totally different than G.

It's cooooooold here today. It was 2 degrees (F) when we came home last night around 10:30. The main highway between here and Denver was closed for about 24 hours due to avalanche threat, so our grocery stores were pretty thin yesterday! I'm so not used to how cut off from things we can be out here in the winter!

Dh is making biscuits and eggs, so I best go.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM

oh, and danile, loved your birth story. Your doula should look into midwifery! Can't wait to see pics, too.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM

*pokes head out from under rock*
YO DUDE, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Okay, so before anyone chokes on their tea/coffee in utter shock, just know that I may not be very prolific in the thread, but I need my May Mamas in more regular supply! I have MISSED you all and have been weathering being a mama to my May babe alone for FAR too long!

Most of you know some of what's up, but let me do a quick rundown; I'm a nanny 3 days a week to a 5-month-old; Rowan comes with me two out of the three days, the other one he stays home with my friend M., the mama of the 2-year-old that I do a swap with; I also watch her son for pay once a week in addition to the regular swap.

Rowan is awesome; well, right now, in the midst of all the holiday madness he's been kind of, well, INSANE but we're dealing. In general he is a joy, and I love that he is a KID, now, and we can have conversations and play games and stuff. I think he's starting to READ, too! : Amazing. I also need to peruse this forum again to remind me that yes, all the crazy little things these kiddos do is NORMAL, the neuroses will pass, the fact that he seems to grow deaf when I try to talk to him in anything resembling a "gentle" voice and I resort to yelling : is something that will pass...yeah. Some reminders that I am not a terrible mama would be nice!

DH and I are amazing, not much else to say about that.

And I of course am getting cut short by the child asking for a cookie at 11am!
Oh yeah, it's good to be back.

Here's to an amazing 2008 for everyone!
Old 01-01-2008, 02:39 PM

kk--get back here with more words than that!

jacquie--yay for a night out!

renae!!!! happy almost!! hope you are showered with love and cool gifts!

cookies at a 11am are nothing. my girls get m&ms (3) with breakfast after they chew their fish oil caps. :

hj slept from 7-3!! last night.

still way tired from the cumulative lack of sleep.

DH went into work today even though the office is closed. :

off to see what the girls want to do today!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 01-01-2008, 03:45 PM

Allison informed me this morning, in all seriousness, that she would like a chocolate sundae for breakfast.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Mmmmmm... chocolate.

NYE festivities were unusually non existent last night. I didn't even stay up until midnight. I think I fell asleep around 10:30 or so - a first for me. I normally at least stay up. And it's a good thing I went to sleep, because Mia woke up around 1:30 and had to go potty (with Jett in tow ) and she ended up pooping a big ol poop and then after I got them all back in bed, she whispered to me, "Mommy, I pooped again. I had an accident." So it was up again, lights on, changing clothes, the whole bit. It must have been 2:30 before we all got back to sleep. If i had stayed up until midnight or later I would have been um, not as patient as I was. And this morning I feel jut fine. Refreshed even.

Yay for going out and having fun, though.

MF, good to "see" you and Happy Big Day tomorrow.

Kids are watching the Rose Parade. Oh wait, they are starting to fight. What else is new?

Happy 2008 EveryBuggy!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Happy 2008 to you all!

NYE was spent at my SIL's family's house. We had a good time, and got home around 1030. Katie fell asleep in the car, and I fell asleep around 1130 or so. I had planned on at least staying up, but dh was watching football and I was bored, so I fell asleep.

Going to take the kids sledding today, so I'll check in later.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 PM

Happy New Year!!! :::

i stayed up til 1. thankfully ebin slept from then until 6:30! and then back down again until 9:20. that was amazing. it may be a 'family nap' day though

ebin's 2nd top toofer broke through. i had given him motrin last night so maybe that helped the good sleep

there were lots of fireworks here last night. oregonians LOVE their explosives. i'm still not used to it, coming from CA where they're prohibited in a lot of places. (well and everyone sets off illegal fireworks here....up in the sky bright lights types and lots of mortars.) amazingly enough the sky was clear of clouds for what seems like the first time in 2 months and we could see the fireworks.

yeah. the candy/cookie/sugar begging begins right after breakfast here. 'but i ate my breakfast!!!!' but then i make it worse by buying things like TWO boxes of popscicles. the skinny cow fudge bars...omg. i ate my breakfast so i might just have to have one myself soon
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Happy 2008 everybuggy!

I was SO gonna be the first to make this thread. I fergot.
Baby all over me and this keyboard is making mommy really pissy.

I was well asleep last night after starting the night in party mode. Viet was really tired, so it took the wind right outta my sails, usually it's vice versa...
So I got a little tipsy on mezcal and then went to bed.

Yesterday though Sol and I had the best day, really fun, I took her with me on all my errands plus a surprise visit to the park. Then I had a meal with her at my fave restaurant, owned by a friend of mine preg with #2 who wanted a sling==trade==nice meal for sling. So Sol and I had "drinks", I had the salmon (luxury), dessert, coffee, and we had about a 2 hr meal if you can imagine. We had crayons and paper and scissors for her, and all in all a totally nice mama n sol time.

Then this morning I woke up to a gift under the tree for me!!! Viet had written a cute letter from "melchor" of the 3 kings, that he heard sancho claus didn't bring the mami of this family any presents, so here's one, plus a little giftie for the girls, and I got a french press! num num! Now my coffee rocks even harder. I really am happy with it.

My girls were just naked in the patio taking baths outdoors. Now they need towels, gotta run, but am so happy soooo happy renae you are back.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, today must be Z's day:

At 5:30 am, he and T climb into bed with us. Z had awakened T (I don't know how, he sleeps so soundly), and they're both there saying they're hungry, demanding "treats", etc. Dh exhorts them not to wake L. Oops, too late ("Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!"). Dh leaves bed with the 2 little ones (for Z to finish his dinner from last night, hmm, is that why he's hungry?), and T and I sleep another hour or so.

Coupla hours later, finally pry T out of our bed, try to shovel healthy filling breakfast down him so we're prepared to go to the New Year's potluck brunch we always go to (where there is often a serious imbalance in the goodies:sustaining food ratio). Ask Z to get dressed. Minutes later, find him upstairs, naked, doing "penis push-ups" (spread-eagled on the floor, lowers himself till his penis touches the floor).

Z's resolution for the new year, by the way, is to go on more hikes.

Oop. Gotta go.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 PM

I think that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Sorry- It's been crazy around here. We had planned New Years with friends thinking we would have a couple week old baby and be well rested. I didn't have the heart to cancel- so I've been completely overtaken by that. They came up with their three kids and it was INSANITY!!! But we're doing well... Jasmine is a little angel (though she seems to have her days and nights mixed up) : But who can resist such beautifulness even if it IS three in the morning? I will try to post some pics soon... I've just been distracted with the visitors...

Much love to my MMF who I read- but don't always get to reply to!

Wish me luck... I start full time online courses next week!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 AM

omig&d, kk, that is frickin' fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh-neeeeeeeeee... :

aloha, yet again, from kauai. my sis and her partner leave late, late tonight, none too soon, it seems, as they are not only driving me crazy, but my mom too. communication issues. arrrrgh.

just 'scribin', more when we get back to p-town saturday.

and just an fyi, kauai is experiencing one of its rainiest winters in a long, long time. beauitful, but rainy and a little colder than a tropical vacation.

aloha,
~claudia
Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 AM

Ducette- mama, you need to put your feet up! You DESERVE to put your feet up. You just had a baby! I really hope you get to recoup and curl up with your lil nursling.

HF- that's funny. L gets exactly 3 M&M's every morning for breakfast, too. For eating his chewable vitamin. Since his diet is attrocious (thanks, feeding team), the vitamin is really important. He also gets a babyspoonful of chocolate ice cream every morning, in which his reflux med is mixed. Yah, his life is rough.

Hi Renae!

Nightweaning. Hah, ha, ha. :. W is almost 11 months old, and I have made it a policy basically since birth not to nurse him more often than every 2 or 3 hrs at night. If he gets up between then, he gets ME, with NO BOOB. So you'd think, since he has other sleep associations with me, that it would be easy to push the envelope to nursing every 4 hours. Heck, maybe a 5 hour stint. Sigh. head. As jstar said, things get busy during the day, so I worry that he needs those night-time feedings. I've been _intending_ (but not following through) to work on fewer nursings, as I thought I was getting transferred to a new group home soon, where I couldn't take the babe, and so DH was going to be on night duty.

However, I just learned tonight that the higher ups are thinking about keeping me in my current position till I have enough work as a trainer that I don't need a direct care position. : : . That would be so cool. In addition to the red cross stuff, which isn't that many hours, I may be teaching OIS (Oregon Intervention System- now a national program for dealing with violent behavior in clients- please don't laugh to hard after recent events), and perhaps also teaching Bloodborne pathogens. Wow, my old teaching job without all those math papers to correct. Sounds good to me.

Jacqu- I hear you on diff kids being so diff to take out in public!

Isn't it funny how New Years changes after you're a parent? Suddenly that good ol routine feels more important than gettin' down or gettin' toasted.

I don't think I've seen the new year in as a parent until this year. We had a GREAT time. We went over to the main house of our spiritual community, put the kids to bed in one of the bedrooms at 8pm, (there are like 10 bedrooms in this house or something), and then hung out and played board games and shared stories and played guitar and stuff till midnight. I heard about the time the pastor pulled his kids out of school for 4 months and headed the family down to Mexico. They were sick of the US, and gonna leave the country for good until their VW bus broke down and they couldn't afford to go on. tee hee. I love radicals. We're the most boring non-radical people in our church.

Blech. Full day tomorrow at work, kids in tow. Do I hafta?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM

First of all, penis push-ups?!?!
Wow, that is some funny funny stuff!
And secondly, KAUAI! I knew you were gonna be in Hawaii, Claudia but I somehow missed that you're in KAUAI! That's amazing! We will have to compare notes when you get back! Definitely a highlight of 2007 for me!

Glad to know the begging for treats isn't just because WE have a TON of treats in this house and have been a little lax with the treat-giving this holiday season. : I KNOW there have been several accounts of "cookies for breakfast" this past month...now we're trying to get out of the whole holiday mode...but it's hard! I also don't really count the holidays as being "over" until AFTER my birthday! And that's...today!

That's right, me=OLD! I'm 32 today. Growing older isn't really freaking me out. Maybe it's the fact that I still have acne, and drama, like a teenager.
Seriously, I actually feel good about the coming year, and I feel good about the year behind me (dude, I had the BEST year musically! I went to so many shows and got into so much music...and I started going clubbing again! Yeah, good times) and I kinda like that my birthday is so close to the beginning of a New Year.

Anyhow, more later I'm sure. I'm pretty tickled to be back myself! Sesame Street just ended and Rowan turned off the TV, and went into the other room to play with the balloons DH left on his changing table this morning...for ME! Haha.

Oh yeah, I meant to add: No birthday plans today, just work. It's all good. DH promised we could go to my favorite restaurant for brunch Saturday morning; this awesome place called Julian's, where I actually went for the first time for my 30th birthday! It's expensive, punk-hipster-rich-kids-whose-parents-sent-them-to-art-school-in-the-city , but I love it. And it's totally kid-friendly. And so many vegan-vegetarian choices that I am always overwhelmed and not sure what to get!

Have a great day mamas. It's so awesome to be able to catch up on whate everyone is up to. I've missed you.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM

:::
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RENAE!

It's so very good to see you!! May the coming year be even better than you anticipate :

Got our first real snowfall here last night, so my main goal for the day is to get all three kids outfitted in their snow gear and go outside to play. Honestly, that sounds so totally daunting, I may have to get myself a second cup of coffee before I really contemplate that. And of course Ethan is still sleeping, after being up for a nice party between 2:30 and 5:00 this morning. Nightweaning is on the horizon, but probably not for a couple more months. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Our babes need to coordinate their partying...HJ was rockin' it from 10p-1215am and back for more at 3am. Nightweaning is obviously a looooong way off for us, but yes, totally dreaming about the sleep I will get one day in the future. For now, 5 hours cobbled together will have to do.

Mister man lounging in the boppy and E entranced by super why! C at school...

For now I'll just dream of coffee. Pondering getting one of those pod type machine thingies. HJ doesn't nap during the day anyway so not like a little caffeine would make a difference!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi friends!

I have both girls dripping off of me at the moment, nak too, every morning/day is like this. kk, please tell me again how you do it sans tv.

Amara just fell for the second t ime in two days from a dining room chair onto a tile floor. Should I take her to the chiro?

Renae, I am sooooo happy for you that you've had a good 2007, musically and otherwise. I am sending you great wonderful birthday wishes. Thanks for re-joining us, it wasn't the same without you. I love knowing my posts would sometimes make you laugh.

can't. handle. this. mamaneedmamaneedmamaneedmama much longer.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Happy Birthday Renae!!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Hope you get a break, soon, Els! Its hard to be so touched out with no end in sight.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM

thanks Sherri for the empathy. After reading Heather's post again I had a thought:

icoffeepod!

What would it be like?

what bells n whistles?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Happy Birthday Renae! Welcome back! We've missed you, girlfriend.

I meant to respond to the treats thing in my last post. Lily has had so much sugar in the past 3 weeks. I can't even blame it in my parents - I got her all the chocolate for her stocking. : Oh well, it's back to sanity when we get home.

Ducette, mama, you're amazing. Be sure to take care of yourself too, hon.

Fiddle - the new teaching gigs and job sitch sound great. I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

Elsanne - I would take her to the chiro, if it were me. Icoffeepod: you could program it to wake you up with a certain song. You could download special recipes for frothy mocha drinks from St@rbucks.

Today I'm getting a massage (gift certificate from my parents). Soooo looking forward to it. We leave here tomorrow and home Friday. It's been good but I'm ready to head back.

S.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM

NAK and trying to verbally referee between two wwf pro wrestling toddlers...

Just wanted to quickly say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RENAE!
Hope you have some fun before you go Claudia!
Els- hope you get a delicious break soon!
Heath- Jas lays propped in the boppy while swaddled when we watch our nightly movie/play cards together after the boys go to bed. That just made me picture the similar things parents sometimes need to do to breathe...

Gotta run... they're fighting with their little playset chairs... :

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Els, I just had to come commisserate with you for a second (while Rowan has allowed me to go! ) about the mamaneedmamaneedmamaMAMAMAMAMAMAMA!!!!
Yeah, and I only have one. Sometimes it feels like a lot more. Haha.

I hope you get some time to yourself soon, dear Mama!

And getting three kids outfitted for snow? Now *I* need a second cup of coffee! Good luck!

Okay, MAMAMAMAMAMAMA is back on. Talk to you later.

It's GOOD to be back.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Hmm, did I say earlier that I felt daunted by the prospect of gearing up three kids and going outside? I think next time I'll give myself license to listen to that little voice : The problem with trying to get three kids ready is that any time *one* of them cooperates, the other two are off creating chaos somewhere else. I couldn't find Ethan's snowpants at all but we persevered and made it outside, where all were happy for at least the first 30 seconds. Ethan thought it was the best thing ever, but kept running for the street. He's so dang cute, though! Allison started out thrilled, but I think she got tired quickly and had snow in her boots and mittens, so she didn't last long.

So in less than an hour we were all exhausted and ready for some hot cocoa. And though it was a lot of work, it was a lot of fun and even though I say I won't undertake that again without reinforcements, I'll probably be moved by the magic of it all again.

Now I need a nap.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM

juice---you have me awwing out loud here. Visions of what our winter will look like next year! Is it me, our are your kiddos tall? They looks so much older than their actual ages!

Elsanne--I would take her to the chiro. E is a daredevil+clumsy...not a good combo and could probably stand to get adjusted every week at the rate she falls/tumbles.

FF--yay for saner job prospects! Teaching rocks!

Claudia-- hope the rain, rain goes away and comes again like Sunday!

Renae--*mwah* just makes me happy to see your purple!

Sarah--I think we need some pics oy! when you get back!

my iCoffeePod would most definitely download starbucks recipes and be remotely operable from upstairs...hmmm....would probably also grind/blend beans to suit my whim...playing soothing wake up music would be a bonus.

Girlies are enjoying playing together quietly! nicely! sharingly! in the attic playroom. Our house may be a little fixer upper, but I totally love that we have an attic playspace and sewing area.

I fear that HJ has much of C's same temperment wrt sleep. Desperately trying to find a sling/wrap/carrier solution to keep him content. gah.

onward!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

juice-

those pics are heavenly! you seem to have a talent for catching the magic of the moment, myself- not so much.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Those pictures rock, Juice! I especially liked the pouty Allison picture! And the last one of Ethan was magical for sure! Remind me again how old Caitlyn is? Five? Six?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Juice--your post was inspired. I loved the pics and the one of Allison's misery made me guffaw aloud. Don't tell her I laughed at her misery.

Heath--"sharingly" made me smile. I can relate.

ff--yaaaay at the job prospect! At being recognized by the higher-ups! Your NYE sounds really lovely.

icoffeepod: would also line up the day's tasks, communicating to coffee maker and to computer to a) make coffee, and b) get my email up on screen.
Hell, then it would make breakfast.

User Tag List