#2 of 68 Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something in last month's thread caught my eye this morning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlowyn View Post
I can't believe it!

I have not kept up with all of you through out the years, : ....
"Through out the years" Holy cow!! We've been together for nearly four years now!! This is boggling. :

Jett's latest growth spurt seems to be over. His feet grew a full size, I can't make excuses for his 2T pants any more and his mind exploded as well....all the new words, concepts, questions and oh...oh, oh, the WHYs. Not that he's settled into his new person, his pleasant little self is back. I miss it every time it goes away. Growth spurts are REALLY hard on this guy's moods.

He's fighting valiantly about colors right now. He wants to know them badly, and is constantly asking, "What color is this?" but they're just not coming together in his mind. We were really worried that he was color blind, but then he showed us all the numbers out of the color blindness test circles, so I guess the right neurons just aren't firing yet. Poor dude is so frustrated about it.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 68 Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

Julian started school on Thursday. He attends a special needs preschool for 3 hours a day, 4 days a week. When he got home yesterday he told me "Oh mom! School's so cool!"
It was hard to send him, and both my DH and I cried when we dropped him off. I was worried he'd have a hard time following directions and getting a long with the other children, but his teacher called me both Thursday and Friday to tell me he had a great day!

I'm happy for him (and for me! the break is nice).
#4 of 68 Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

It was really hard for me to put Meg in preschool when she had just turned 3 too. It's good for him and he likes it. That's awsome!

Past- It's trippy isn't it? Nearly 4 years!!! I don't know most of my IRL friends nearly that long!

C is a wild man. He's very interested in having a younger sibling. He asks constantly if I'm "going to have a baby this year?" Or if what I'm knitting is for a baby...nudge nudge. I tell him it's for the hypothetical baby. It's sort of field of dreams knitting.

Happy Birthday to all the kiddos I missed!
#5 of 68 Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Nannymom, thanks for starting the new thread... I wasn't trying to be a smartie, was just busy at the time and forgot to come back and do it!

I check my email and this thread throughout the day while standing behind my computer chair, leaning over -- because I have had to barracade so much crap in front of my desk to keep all the little fingers out of my stuff!

Isaac started crawling and pulling himself up, all at once, at 7 months. And started walking at 9 months, 9 days. So now he is not even to his first birthday, and is up to a RUN and CLIMBING on everything. Good Lord. He keeps me busy! They all do.
#6 of 68 Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Hi, y'all! Happy Birthday to the little ones! Not so little anymore, as Marcos informs me. I have baby fever and stopped to look at a little umbrella stroller at the thrift store today. He said "That's not something for me. That's for a BABY!" He wants a younger sibling too, Jörð- "Can you have a baby for my Christmas present?"

Jaclyn, we just went through a growth spurt too- it was hell, huh?! Marcos ate everything in sight for a week or more, and nursed in between bites. He moved from 2T pants into 3T in an instant. This boy... he is wonderful and funny and sweet- reasonable, even- unless he is hungry or tired. He will hit the wall all of a sudden, and then he is a kicking, screeching, unmanageable mess. He's like Jekyll and Hyde, but it's only when he needs food or sleep. At least it's pretty easily cured when he goes haywire.

He's killing me becuase he still doesn't sleep through the night. When he wakes up, which is usually every 1-2 hours, he wants to nurse back to sleep! If I try to deny him he will stage-whisper PLEASE! JUST FOR A MINUTE! PLEEEEASSSSSSE! until I fear he will wake up his sister, and then I give in so we can go back to sleep. DP's been on vacation for 2 weeks so I have had the supreme luxury of sleeping in every morning- sometimes until 11 or 12, even. He is a really good man.

Jenelle, Marcos was an early walker too! 8 1/2 months and he was going all over the place. It looks so odd when an infant motors around like that, doesn't it?

My Lula (6) has suddenly become very sensitive to the way some articles of clothing fit and feel. Specifically, underwear, tights, socks, pants and shoes. She doesn't seem to have an issue with her top half. We had some pretty upsetting incidents around getting dressed until I realized that she truly does have a problem with how they feel, and I needed to get busy and find her some things she can wear. I had to discard most of her wardrobe. She has only one pair of shoes now, and a set of socks I got at Ross that do not bother her as long as they are inside out. I am reading The Highly Sensitive Child and am getting a clue that the clothes, her limited diet, and her personality are all related in a way I didn't put together before.

So, does anyone's 3 yo know letters and numbers by sight? I realized recently that Lula knew things at this age that Marcos does not. He knows his colors but has not seemed to pick up any letters yet, and the only numbers he knows by sight are the ones on his Thomas trains! I think when I just had one child, I spent lots of time teaching her things (the number/letter puzzles surely helped) but now that I'm busier with two, I thought Marcos could just learn by osmosis...

I exposed them to chicken pox this week! :

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#7 of 68 Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am working on letters and numbers with Iris. She can recite numbers uo about 11 on her own and to 20 if you do it with her. She can count her fingers and things up to about 7 or 8. She doesn't seem to recgonize letters or numbers by site.

I am strongly considering homeschooling her for pre school. I am looking into ciciculums. There is no way we can afford quality pre school but I know with the way schools are today she needs to know a lot more than I did when I started kindergarten.

Iris has been the same size forever. She is short and super tiny. She is still in the bottom 5th percentile for height and weight. Her vocab is a mile a minute and her mind works faster than her motor skills. I have discovered through the cold weather that she needs way more physical play than she has been getting.

On that note it is in the 60s here today so we are going hiking.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#8 of 68 Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
Not that he's settled into his new person, his pleasant little self is back. I miss it every time it goes away. Growth spurts are REALLY hard on this guy's moods.
I really get the missing when the good mood goes away, it is like an entirely different kid!

It is really interesting how children at this age have different abilities intellectually, I have a hard time knowing if what Hypatia does is normal or what, she has known her letters and the sounds of each letter for quite some time and knows words that go with the sounds, she is a wonderful rhymer which I didn't even think of as something really to aim for but it is pretty funny.

I realized how much she is growing up the other day, her cousins were over, the 2 boys are aged 9 and 6 and they had a playmate with them who was 10 and she wanted to play with the boys and she tried her hardest to keep up with them, they ran out into the pasture, her trailing behind, they climbed this tree that is kind of growing horizontal so she climbed it too, then the boys hopped off and started running back to the house and I was so afraid she would fall, but she leaped off the tree and w/out skipping a beat kept running after them!!!!! She was way behind but she kept trying and eventually caught up to them at their next activity! Such a proud moment, but bittersweet at the same time
#9 of 68 Old 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Once again, not much time to post - but had to say that today my BABY is 1 year old! : Not sure if we're going to do anything special. He and Eli have been sick with a cold. Plus we do the big party in the summer -- for all THREE of them now.
#10 of 68 Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Wow! Congrats and Happy Birthday!
#11 of 68 Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM

OMGosh, wyatt is in a growth spurt, too! glad to hear that others are experiencing the constant eating, lotsa nursing, incredible overnight growth! he finally fits into his 2T stuff, and I think he might have grown, literally, 2 inches in the last month. he is still a super skinny kid. we added fish into our diet recently, and he LOVES it and I think its part of the growing.

his mind is also exploding he can barely make himself slow down or go to sleep, he just wants to learn and do more and more.

he can identify his own name, and the number 3, the letters A, B, C, O and Q. He's also really good with colors. And his verbal ability -- gheez! We read that 4 year olds should be able to string together 4 - 8 word sentences; he easily does 12 - 15 words with complex thoughts (like causality statements, though they usually aren't correct). Maybe its because his mama is a big talker?

He also seems to have finally made the good transition to school - I read something the other day in an otherwise pretty mediocre parenting book, where they authors said that by 3 years old the kids should be walking themselves into school -- I usually carry wyatt, adn I started having him walk in last week and its really, quite magically, changed his attitude about how he belongs there, about his capabilities, and about my leaving him.

shalena, i'm glad you're getting a break, and I sure do understand how nice it feels to have ds at a safe and warm place for a few hours a day!
#12 of 68 Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Gotta run, but wanted to post this Jett video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWxXoHA5Xjg

It's not the best, but the end has me cracking up, every single time.

#13 of 68 Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Past, VERY CUTE! I have never seen a LikeABike before.

Well we ended up taking the boys to the Children's Museum here in town, and we bought a yearly membership so we can take them whenever we want for free. Otherwise it would cost us $30 every single time we go! And supposedly it gets us into 250 other museums in the country for free, too.

Then we all went to Applebee's. We haven't been to a sit-down restaurant with all of them in..... I can't remember how long. Because of funds, for one, but also because it just *wasn't* an enjoyable experience anymore. But tonight they all did really really well! And we had a gift card to use from Christmas, so again, .
#14 of 68 Old 01-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great video, Jackie! I love the sound track.

We're unschoolers and I wouldn't have chosen to focus on letters at this age... but Charlie has different ideas! He's fascinated with letters and words. My mom gave him a nice wooden puzzle with his name in letters inset into a board for Christmas, and he was so obsessed with it that I went out and got him a full wooden letter set (on the cheap, at the local mall... ad true miracle!) The alphabet song is the only one he'll let me sing.

I just love how he sounds right now. He's also speaking in 12-15 word sentences (or longer--hmmm, wonder who he picked up the run-on sentence from?) but his diction is still very toddler-esque. Dp just made the same observation about causality statements. "It's mine because I want it and it's green and I want it" is a typical example.
#15 of 68 Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 AM

#16 of 68 Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 AM

I just have to post another video....we had too much fun tonight!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO7p0WAbuZM

#17 of 68 Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM

Those videos are awesome! I watched the LikeABike one about 5 times with various members of my family. DP is now sure that we need a LikeABike too.

~*Kristi*~

#18 of 68 Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 AM

Funny stuff, Kristi! Jett's actually talking about buying a new bike all the time. We're gently discouraging it. But, whenever he gets a coin, I say, "What are you going to do with your penny/quarter/whatever?" and his reply has been "Buy a bike" for a few weeks now. He wants a pedal bike. He's not ready for it quite yet, though, as he doesn't have any pedal toys and doesn't get the round and round motion. I think I need to get him a pedal car of some type, maybe a little tractor, so he can learn how to pedal. He's just got bikes on the brain, though, I think. He seems to utterly enjoy his LikeABike though whenever he's on it...which is every day.

He's been helping us tend fires all day. We're burning huge 'brush' (and log) piles outside...everything that we couldn't use as firewood. We've basically had a bonfire for two straight days, just letting it go to embers at night. Tonight too, and we'll be at it again tomorrow. We are getting things cleaned up as the new workshop is done, except for the four garage doors to be installed and MIL's art studio loft finished in the upstairs. MIL's house is all framed out and has the roof decking and tar paper on it. It gets some more concrete poured and the windows/doors ordered tomorrow. I can't wait 'til the "Gramma House" is done and she moves here. It'll be so awesome, all in all, for Jett.

Jett was really interested in reading for a while, but he is full bore on the physical kick again and the mental exercise has gone to the wayside. He's such a stereotype of 'all boy' most of the time, except he's very concerned about dirt and extremely empathetic. That works for me, though. I don't like sitting and thinking much...I prefer to be out and working. I'd be lost if I had a very bookworm, inside-loving kid. Don't get me wrong, we read constantly, but I mean the "brainiac" personality. I wouldn't know how to encourage a child like that...I'd have to really work hard to enable their talents. Jett's right up my alley, thankfully. He's all hands on and go-kid.

My brother is here visiting for 10 days. Jett is super in love with him and they get along great. Even better, this 21 year old college kid is AWESOME with him, and 'corrects' him gently as needed. (Where our other relatives let him go monster-crazy on them, then feel annoyed at him.) I'm really happy that they're getting the time together.

Well, I guess that's the major Jett update... He's so excited to go mutton busting again. Next Sat. is tied up, so it'll be at least two weeks. Besides, paying admission and Jett's entry fee every week for 3 seconds is a big hit in the budget...maybe we'll do it twice a month, if he wants to keep going. I can't believe my sweet little sling-riding, cooing nursling is riding sheep in a rodeo! Well, at least he's still my little nursling, right? Talk about growing up fast!!

#19 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm not supposed to be a thread killer in my own DDC.

#20 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 01:02 PM

Aw, you're not a thread-killer. But thank you for the reminder. I need to pay more attention to our DDC. After 4 years, we might as well hunker down and stick with it.

C is great. He was doing really well with potty learning but lately not so much. He just pees in his undies like it's nothing. I'm getting REALLY sick of the laundry that creates. I told him he's going back in diapers if he can't work on using the potty. It's really getting old fast.

He's such a little man. I feel like he's close to weaning himself. It makes me sad.. I'm not one of those women who looks forward to getting my body back blah blah blah. I like nursing him and I'll be sad but very proud of us both when he self weans. I'm worried though, about trying to get pregnant. I feel like that might push him to wean before he's ready and I don't want to do that.

He wants this Diego bike he found in the BX the other day. A pedal bike. With an older sibling, it's bound to come sooner. He's really great on his trike though so we'll see. I hate buying something like that right after the holidays. He REALLY wants a gameboy. Isn't that funny? E has one and he plays with it a lot. He's actually really good at it! They're constantly fighting about it and he hides it under his pillow at night to assure that he can play in the morning. It's good to have something like that right now. We're not used to the weather and can't stand to be outside much at all. It was -3 this morning when we took his sister to school!

I'll post some pics later today when I get a chance. You won't believe how big he is.
#21 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

hope everyone is having a good day.

It snowed here last night and we spent the morning playing outside!

Ok maybe these will work

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...w4btD2&notag=1

Mom to Iris and Henry
#22 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to test my ability to reply. I posted some pics of iris in the snow and the reply isn't showing up but the server is insisting I already posted it:

Mom to Iris and Henry
#23 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
I'm not supposed to be a thread killer in my own DDC.
At least you actually take the time to post. Take a look at my post count, oy, it's pitiful. I'm so lame.

Sadie's doing well, her comprehension level lately is just so amazing. I'm constantly surprised at what she can actually understand and will refer back to in other conversations. She has taken to calling me mother, as in, "No mother", all teenager like. I'm not sure where she picked that one up. She's as stubborn as ever, which has been a little problematic lately. She will not be rushed. I try to remain calm, but trying to get out of the house is like herding cats sometimes.

We just checked out like 5 books and a video about potty learning from the library. I am so so ready for her to be out of diapers. I've not wanted to push it cause of all her witholding issues, but I'm just done.

I've been thinking about getting her into a preschool of some sort, especially before the baby comes, because she really seems like she wants to be more social lately. We go to the park and she looks for kids to play with as opposed to hiding behind me like she used to do. I think she's really ready to be in some sort of social environment without me, and I'd like to have a few hours a week alone with the baby. Another reason I'd like to concentrate more on potty learning.

I'll try to get some pictures posted soon too.
#24 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

sadiesmom-Being able to use the potty really helped Iris with her with holding issues. She has become constipated a few times since she started going on the potty but nothing like what we were going through when she was in diaper.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#25 of 68 Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM

Jaclyn -- you're so NOT a thread-killer... and you know it!

I can't speak for everyone else, but in my case, I check the thread at least daily... and just when I think about responding to something, a toy zooms by my head and/or someone pukes on me. No, I'm exaggerating -- it's not THAT bad here, but it is pretty busy. I just can't get the uninterrupted time to think.

Charlynn, I hear ya on the potty training. Eli is at least pooping in the potty consistently now. We still have work to do on the peeing, and thus, he is still in pull-ups. But I wanted to say that maybe you could find something like the "Parent's Day Out" program that Eli does at a local church. They offer it 3 days a week, mornings or afternoons, for like 3 1/2 hours (or less, if we don't want to leave him that long obviously). We just take him whenever it works out, and it is $7 per visit. But the cool thing is that they are fine with diapers. It is ages 2+.

Nannymom, what cute pictures of Iris! Thanks for sharing. Your apartment community looks really nice. It reminds me of the one we lived in a few years ago. Sometimes I miss our apartment. I think it is because all of our CRAP was in storage! So it was so neat and tidy. lol
#26 of 68 Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom View Post
At least you actually take the time to post.
I just have time to post because our building projects are on hold right now for rain and Jett's so enamored with my brother that he won't even look at me, unless he is hurt and wants to nurse. I'd be trying to break his little horse to pull a cart, but again....that dang rain. So, here I sit.

Right now, they're in his room, playing make-believe with the trains.

#27 of 68 Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 AM

Wow, Jaclyn, all those building projects sound exhausting and fun! It's neat seeing the kids with relatives, isn't it? DP's brothers, nephew and mother live just around the corner from us.

nannymom, Iris is beautiful! She looks so much more grown up than the last time I saw her pictures! I love her little snow angel. We got snow here yesterday, which is a big huge deal in Atlanta. It snowed for a couple of hours, and the kids were out in it until 9:30 last night. We had about 1/2 inch at most, and dd was beside herself with excitement, calling it a "Winter wonderland!"

I EC'd part-time with Marcos from the time he was about 6 months old, but he was naked at home and in diapers when we went out. Since he was 2 he's only worn diapers at night, undies during the day. Lots of times he is dry in the morning, but I can't count on that! If I have another baby I'm going to start ECing earlier and more consistently.

My kids came down with chicken pox today! I exposed them two weeks ago via playdate with a MDC family. I am very happy that we'll be getting it over with. We don't vax and I was concerned that we wouldn't find any wild chicken pox. We had a MDC family come over today in hopes of getting it from us! And Koalamommy is planning to make a trip to see us this weekend.

Jaclyn, that book The Highly Sensitive Child is pretty interesting. When you mentioned Jett's incredible empathy and dislike of dirt, that reminded me of some of the things in it. I got the book because I was sure Lula was highly sensitive (she is!) but I have come to realize that Marcos is as well- just in different ways. I feel like I understand them both on a new level.

~*Kristi*~

#28 of 68 Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM

mamas i don't have time to post or explain, but could you send some hugs to me and dh right now? a very close friend of his was killed in afghanistan last weekend, and dh is TORN UP and not being very rational right now. i *think* that he is in the middle of driving 17 hours to go to tomorrow's funeral. but I don't know.

ok i guess i did have time to explain. its not about our toddlers OOPS: children, but none of my IRL friends are home right now, and my mom isn't even home to get my call, and I'm just sitting here quietly freaking out and thinking about you all and wanting a group hug.

thx.

PS Wyatt had his 3 year old check up today and has hit the TENTH PERCENTILE for weight and height (up from 2nd his whole life). WOO HOO!!

The dr. said "I won't even as about his verbal ability" LOL cause he was talking up a storm.
#29 of 68 Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Oh, Rainy, I'm so sorry. I just got on here to look before I head off to bed... I'm here if you need someone to "talk" to!

Okay, now it looks like you've gotten off MDC. So I really am going to bed now. Sorry I wasn't here earlier. Hope you've found someone IRL to talk to.
#30 of 68 Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 PM

You got it Rainy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page