Talk to me about reading.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does/did your child at 4.5 years old enjoy being read to? Did they sit for a story? Picture books? Chapter books? Did they talk about the book? Ask questions? Point to pictures?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM

My 4.5 ds loves being read too. He is read to a lot every day... picture books and some chapter books.

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#3 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Does/did your child at 4.5 years old enjoy being read to? Did they sit for a story? Picture books? Chapter books? Did they talk about the book? Ask questions? Point to pictures?
All of it . . . I can't remember exactly when she started loving books, but it happened by the time she was two. Ever since, she has loved being read to, been very interested and talkative about the books we've read (chapter and stories), and she also enjoys the illustrations.

She started reading phonetically around age four and has been doing really well with that since. She's five now . . .and she still loves being read to.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#4 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM

At 4.5, ds enjoyed being read to for short periods of time. He was not ready for longer (i.e. chapter books) or books with a lot of text. So, we mostly stuck with short picture books, non-fiction books with lots of pictures (books about numbers, volcanoes, fire trucks, more fire trucks, buses, garbage trucks, more garbage trucks, etc.). He did ask questions and point to pictures. He didn't answer questions about the story though, if I asked them.

Note, I couldn't read to him at all between about 11 and 18 months - he was just too active and wouldn't sit still. We also spent a fair amount of time just looking at pictures (mostly when he was 2-3) and letting him explore books. Richard Scarry books are really good for that (I think I could recite Cars and Trucks and Things that Go by heart at one point.)

He did ask questions, but mostly about non-fiction books. Fiction books did not engage him as much until relatively recently (he's 6.5 now). We've just begun reading chapter books (Beverly Cleary, Magic Tree House).

There's good research to show that kids who view reading as a happy, cuddle time with parents will grow up to be readers. So, my goal is/was to make this a pleasant experience for ds -- and that often meant reading books that were 'below' his ability to understand. He began reading single words at 5.5, and now at 6.5 he is a pretty fluent reader (reading at a late 1st grade/early 2nd grade level or so). I'm not so concerned with his level of reading, but I am pleased by the fact that he reads with understanding and expression.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I was just wondering if my dd's inability and non desire to hear stories read to her or look at books is "normal" or a part of her other issues. (possible spectrum, possible SPD)

I know my oldest daughter loved being read to and wanted the same stories every day for eons. She also at 9 years old tests gifted in reading and math. So its hard to compare my children. I'm not sure whats "normal" half the time.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#6 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 PM

My DS is 4.5 and loves being read to. He loves books since he's 3 months old. We live 1 block from the library so we're there everyday. He's on the verge of being able to read by himself, but in the meantime, he likes being read to, ideally the whole time he's awake!

He's not into stories though. He likes non-fiction books. He's been obsessed about airplanes and space exploration since he's 2, so we've been reading books about planes (military and civilian) and astronomy.
#7 of 12 Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM

My DD has loved being read chapter books (some with occasional pictures, some without any at all) since about 4. The problem I would (and do) run into, is that if I'm not reading to her at bedtime until she falls asleep, she'd have me keep reading until we finished.

ETA: The older she gets, the less questions she asks during the story. When she was older, she would ask questions about everything...pictures, characters, etc.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#8 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 AM

Does/did your child at 4.5 years old enjoy being read to? Yes, but usually we would read at bedtime and naptime (he took naps until around the time he turned 5) so it was a time he was feeling more like being read to.

Did they sit for a story? Usually he would sit or lie down, since we'd be in bed. If he didn't sit I would keep reading anyway, unless he asked me to wait for a minute until he came back.

Picture books? Yes, all kinds.

Chapter books? No. Even now chapter books get read now and then, but mostly we read picture books.

Did they talk about the book? If you mean talking about whatever came into his mind while listening and looking at the pictures, then yes.

Ask questions? Sometimes. He went through a phase where he frequently asked "what is that person thinking?" so I would try to make something up the person was thinking--it could get tiring.

Point to pictures? If he wanted to say something about it or show me something.
#9 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 AM

She didn't enjoy complex, or even slightly longer, stories. I've never been able to true read-alouds with her. Even now that she's an advanced reader, she won't let me read her A Secret Garden, for example, even though she's very interested.

Dd would enact stories or draw something.
#10 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM

At 4.5 dd had been enjoying chapter books like the Weather Fairies and Magic Tree House for about a year. Early on, she would have the attention for about a chapter. Later, she would sit for an hour or two with us reading these types of books - also the old "I can read" books like Red Tag Comes Back and Fire Cat. Then she started openly reading a few months later, just before her 5th birthday, so often the plot was forgotten as she searched the page for words that she recognized or could sound out. We kind of just followed her lead - at times interested in the words and at times interested in the stories. These books are still favorites here - she's almost 6.
#11 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I can't dd to sit for any books. Not even Cat in the Hat books. (let alone chapter books!! ) So, I'm guessing that it must have to do with the larger issues there.

Thanks mamas!

#12 of 12 Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

We've just started reading chapter books with our 5 year old. He loves it. I don't know that at 4.5 he would have been so into it. He's reading himself now too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page