help!!! advice on lice!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lice can't live off a human head for long. I think you can probably stop laundering.

My dd had it this summer. We did not use chemicals, nor olive oil, nor mayonnaise (ick) or anything else. We conditioned it every night and combed it with a lice comb until they were gone and it worked just fine.

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Just curious, granolalight, in case I ever have to deal with lice again, for how long did you do the conditioner/comb thing? And about how long would you say it took each time? DD's hair is long and thick and to go through it with a nit comb took hours!
#33 of 34 Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomomma View Post
Well, we're now 3 days past finding out about the lice. Last night I applied another "treatment" and combed through dd's head. Again, no lice -- just a few nits -- less than 10. This morning, while she was at school, I treated myself again and found no lice, just 3-4 nits. I'm hoping they were "de-activated" as the gel stuff is supposed to kill the eggs as well. I've been washing her sheets and coat in super hot water with tea tree oil every day and drying them on the highest setting the dryer has for about 40-60 minutes afterward. We also vacuumed the car out and vacuum the mattresses and couch daily. She also wears different pajamas each night and I'll nit-pick again after dinner. When can I breathe a sigh of relief? Ever?
You've been way more diligent than I ever was, wow. I usually treated everything just once, then once again after a week or so, and they never returned. I'm surprised you're still finding nits. If you're still finding nits then there is probably still lice (they are really hard to find, and fast) and possibly a source that may still have them (brushes, hairbands, carpet??). You must've had a really bad infestation.

Keep checking for nits but I don't think I'd worry about washing sheets daily (then again, it couldn't hurt anything...except maybe your sanity ). If I had a really bad infestation I think I'd continue to spray over everything (pillows, couch, carpet, etc) with the eo solution daily. I like the advice in the previously-mentioned article about using alcohol in the eo solution, for added assurance (assuming alcohol doesn't damage furniture or carpet???). Or I'd at least definitely add neem to the tto solution. TTO is awesome but ime not as effective as neem. I had forgotten about eucalyptus eo, which is a good addition (especially for the wonderful smell, to help counteract the infirmery smell).

I wouldn't think you'd have to keep doing what you're doing for more than 7-10 days.
#34 of 34 Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We just finished dealing with this. I panicking and reacting too insanly tried the RID treatment at first it did nothing. What finially did work was simple conditioner (used suave coconut caus its what I had) and combing lots of combing. I'd coat her hair in the conditioner comb and leave in the conditioner over night morning I'd wash her hair with a TT oil shampoo and add a little conditioner comb again repeat again at night. I saw great inprovment with in 24 hours and totaly gone with in 48 I kept combing at night to prevent reinfestation for about 2 weeks and its now been about a month I do a quick comb weekly JIC.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page