What's the average age for a loose tooth??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS will be 5 in March- he came up to me last night and said, "look mommy, my teeth are loose!" Sure enough, both of his middle bottom teeth are wobbling - a lot. Is this too early to have loose teeth? He didn't have any kind of injury that I know of that would have knocked them loose.

mom to DS 7, DS 5 and DD 3 :
#2 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds pretty normal. My dd lost her first tooth when she was still 4 1/2. However, I think she would be considered rather early.
#3 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 PM

We have a friend who lost teeth in preschool, we have a friend who lost teeth in highschool. Both within normal.

Last year in DS's kinder class there were a few kids who had lost as many teeth as DD who was in the 3rd grade at the time. Wide variety of "normal"

#4 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM

My son is almost 5.5yo and the kids on his birth board (and in his Kindy class) have started losing teeth within the last six months. So, that seems very normal to me.

There also seems to be a correlation (this is just anecdotal!) between when a child got their first tooth and losing their first tooth. Like my DS didn't get his first tooth until 14 months, so I'm expecting him to lose his first tooth later than average as well.
#5 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Several of DD's classmates lost teeth the last six months of preschool.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#6 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Sounds normal to me, too. Both of my kids lost their first tooths during the kindergarten school year- age 5 1/2.
#7 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
yeah, 5 is right on the money. my dd1 didn't lose her first until she was 6.5 and she seemed late compared to hr classmates although it was well within normal ranges.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#8 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM

My 5.5 ds lost his two bottom middle teeth in one week!
#9 of 22 Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM

I have heard of kids losing first teeth anywhere from 4ish to 7 or 8.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#10 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 AM

My son is five and has lost 5 teeth already. His baby teeth were very early, his first one fully in at one month old. He has a friend with a similar timeline, and some 5 yr old friends with one tooth out or none at all.

Sounds about right to me.
#11 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS had his first one get wobbly right at 5.5. His have been funny, though - the new teeth are popping up BEHIND the baby teeth. Freaked me out at first, though I read somewhere that it's a variation on normal. I call them his shark teeth. So the first tooth came in before the loose one got knocked out - which was so anti-climactic that no one noticed and it's truly "lost!" (I was out of town!) The second tooth has broken through now but the baby tooth isn't loose yet... He'll be 6 in March, and his friends of similar ages are all starting to lose theirs, too. Though I'm seeing the same pattern of how early/late they came in originally corresponding to how early/late they're being lost.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#12 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard it depends on when they got the first one in. Kids who got teeth early start to lose them early. Although, the dentist told me around their 6th birthday is the normal age. My older kids lost them around that time and my DD is going on 6 and still has no teeth close to being loose.

19 yr old
12 yr old
4 yr old
#13 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM

My older daughter lost her first tooth right after her 5th birthday. We noticed it was loose when she was about 4.5, and it took that long to actually come out.

Jennifer
#14 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My ds and a couple other kids we know all lost their first tooth close to their 6th birthdays.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#15 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM

My son was 6 when his first one became loose, but I think that's pretty late. And he got his baby teeth super early--the bottom front two came in at the same time, the week he turned 4 months old. So I think that theory is not necessarily true.

I think 5 to 5 1/2 is probably average.
#16 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 PM

That seems a little early, but still normal, I think.
We're on the opposite end. My DS is almost 6.5 and still hasn't had so much as a loose tooth.
#17 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM

My son is 5.5 and lost two bottom front incisors a few months after turning 5. At our last visit with his pediatric dentist, she found he had 7 loose teeth and said it was completely normal.

DS is also missing his two top front incisors, but those had a little "help" (a tug-of-war game with grandpa during which DS apparently thought that holding the rope in his mouth was a stellar plan - NOT!).

As for the SHARK TEETH phenomenon (where the permanent tooth emerges behind the baby tooth), I do recommend having that looked at by a dentist, as ours said that the baby tooth should be removed so that the permanent tooth can move into place.
#18 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Also wanted to pass along to the OP some good advice that I was given...

As soon as your child presents a loose tooth -- get prepared for what's going to happen when the tooth comes out, as it may happen at a VERY inopportune moment (like right before bedtime, the middle of the night, on vacation etc.).

What I mean by this: (1) Decide whether you are going to do the Tooth Fairy thing and, if so, get your story straight with your spouse/partner (believe me, there will be a quiz posited by your kiddo on the facts); (2) If there is going to be a special pillow, box, envelope etc. -- get it now; (3) Decide what the Tooth Fairy is going to leave in exchange for the tooth (coins, shells, crystals or whatever) and have that item on hand. As a matter of fact, since once the tooth loosing starts it's bound to continue, you might as well do what I did and just lay in a supply!
#19 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgrrl View Post

Decide what the Tooth Fairy is going to leave in exchange for the tooth (coins, shells, crystals or whatever) and have that item on hand. As a matter of fact, since once the tooth loosing starts it's bound to continue, you might as well do what I did and just lay in a supply!
What a good idea! It never occurred to me that the Tooth Fairy might leave something other than money. Shells or other cool little things sound so much better. It's always seemed weird to me that the TF pays kids for their teeth.
#20 of 22 Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
What a good idea! It never occurred to me that the Tooth Fairy might leave something other than money. Shells or other cool little things sound so much better. It's always seemed weird to me that the TF pays kids for their teeth.
In our house the TF leaves books.
#21 of 22 Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 AM

DS1 5 1/2 just lost his 2 front bottom within 10 days of each other. One was very loose and he was going skiing so I put a little bag in his pocket so if the tooth came out he could save it. Sure enough that is what happened. I also sent him to school with a little bag in his pocket for the other one. There are 3 other kids in his class of 16 all around 6 years old that have lost teeth. My cousin who is a dentist said 6-7 is average and it depends on when their teeth came in as a baby. I was also told that if an adult tooth is coming in before the baby has fallen out to watch it and have it looked at because it can affect their mouth and spacing.
#22 of 22 Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM

yep my dd lost her first too just a month or 2 ago and she is 5 1/2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page