Good things are happening in February, May '04 Mamas!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay SuperFeather for the speedy appointment! Tell me about The Namesake - I haven't heard of it (but I live in a cave and never hear of anything!)

Meg, my DH came up with "not a deliberate assault" and that's just one of the many reasons I love him.

Sherri - I watched that video (you were the magical third person to mention it in a short period of time, so I listened) and wow, it did amazing things to my heart. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM

I watched that video this morning, too (different source - it's viral!) and loved it.

Hugs to challenged mamas.

I am feeling challenged by school and call. Pretty hairy birth on Saturday kind of rocked me. Great experience, but wow, intense. Still reeling a bit.

Lily's latest thing is asking us to pretend strange things...e.g., "Mama, pretend you don't know where the living room is." And then she'll lead me there and I have to be amazed. Or "Pretend you don't know what a fork is" and I have to watch her use a fork like it's the first time I've seen such an amazing tool. I don't get it.

Today I have an exam in my Newborn class. Luckily I know most of it already.

S.
#63 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 PM

wanna share more about the amazing birth?? (*curious*)

good news hf

now the day of my departure is here isaac wants to go with (of course!). so i'm packing our bags. it was really me wanting a lower stress weekend (a break from that whole 3 year old thing). but my mom is coming up and staying in a hotel and SIL said she would come and get him for a sleepover tomorrow night. it would be his first sleepover away from us! so my weekend with friends turns into yet another.....family trip! this is good and bad. obviously there are perks to that. but my mom wants me to stay in her hotel with her instead of with my friend. ah well...i'm going with the flow. next time i fly to CA it is going to be a SECRET!!

i want to read all of those books. i've only read kite runner
#64 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
Lily's latest thing is asking us to pretend strange things...e.g., "Mama, pretend you don't know where the living room is." And then she'll lead me there and I have to be amazed. Or "Pretend you don't know what a fork is" and I have to watch her use a fork like it's the first time I've seen such an amazing tool. I don't get it.
This really made me laugh, hard. It's not easy to make me laugh, so I have a hunch I'm gonna really like this kid.

I would love to hear about the birth too. Maybe would help for you to process it? Could do oy for greater privacy.
#65 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM

just saying hi. had a great convo with an old friend who i just felt the need to call and process my dilemma with. now left wondering why he and i never got together early in our friendship... hmm... could be the, umm, boyfriend i had at the time. and oh yeah, he was technically an employee of the university i attended. so yeah, that's why. but a great friend. yay for great friends!

feeling really good right now. i friends, really, i do.

excited about change looming in the political arena, too. and btw, it's okay to talk about politics in the course of everyday chatty kinds of things in this thread. this from a mod on the portland thread when the politics issue came up over there since yesterday was such a big primaries voting day and it's likely to come up.

more later oy...

~claudia
#66 of 380 Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Funny you should mention the Kite Runner, heather, 'cuz I checked that one out today. I put Eat, Pray, Love on hold to be delivered from another library per your suggestion jus. I also put "Hold on to your Kids" on hold because TC is reading it and liking it, and it's been on my mental list to read for awhile. I also got a fiction book, can't think of the name or author at the moment.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide, Jstar!

Jacquie-great Annie pix! Those eyes....

Renae, sending cold-be-gone :vibes
#67 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 AM

I *loved* Eat, Pray, Love.
Made me jones to be a travellin' single woman, but hey. Most anything brings out that jones these days.
#68 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Someone tell me to get to bed and stop worrying already.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#69 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM

I also really enjoyed Eat Pray Love. Sometimes Oprah does get it right, you know? Actually, she gets it right so much, it's uncanny. late night tivo can be so fulfilling.

I listened/watched that obama video about ten times yesterday. I was even humming it when I went to vote. Or caucus. or whatever it was where I stood in line then marked a box for Obama with all the optimism of a boy at his senior prom.

Moms, I'm having a difficult time these days. I co-facilitate a support group and my other facilitator wigged out and "terminated" the group. But see, the group is for women with cancer, and you can't just pull the rug out like that. So they came to me and we decided to start a new group but since it's a group process sort of thing I had to go to my co-facilitator and tell her she was on crack. So the whole day has been phone calls from women trying to figure out this whole thing. I don't want to be in the middle of this, I just want to serve these women so they don't feel totally abandoned.

Aaaaand I'm still struggling to get my work done on this damn dissertation. Will it EVER end?

Aaaaand my grandmother cut us off, so we're short a few thousand bucks this month. Tomorrow I get to grovel and try to convince her that this dissertation isn't just about me, it's about helping people all over the damn place get better care for their cancer pain. and that she has to help us because we have been depending on her and she can't just cut us off without any warning. Seriously- no warning. This morning I looked at my bank account and realized that the automatic deposit hadn't happened and we're totally screwed financially after the great appliance fiasco of January ought eight. wah wah wah, I know. We've been talking about what if this were to happen, but we never expected it to happen just like that for no reason. We expected there would be some sort of warning.

Oh, I'm so glad to have you, friends. I need some sort of friendly happy support these days, and just seeing how everyone supports everyone else makes me all warm and fuzzy.
#70 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Heather, get to bed and stop worrying already!
#71 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 AM

Heather, get to bed and stop worrying already! Everything's gonna be fine!

And you too, Emmalola. Glad to see you 'round these parts. I am so sorry that a major source of funding has pulled the plug for NO APPARENT REASON. I mean, if you'd had a few months to prepare, that's one thing. Money worries are so horrible, and they age me tremendously. Mommy's no fun if mommy's stressing about how to pay the bills.
Hm. I'd like to work on that, maybe have mommy be fun anyway, even if she po'.
#72 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Hi guys, I am sorry I fell out of the thread. I have the flu and I now understand why people actually die from the flu as I have never been so sick in my life. Three days of 101+ fever and delirium is pretty horrible and it's showing no signs of lightening up. Good god, mercury. Thankfully the girls and Alison have been spared so far.
#73 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 AM

Lisa, I am sorry you have been so sick! It sounds like it's done a number on you mentally and physically.

I started Eat, Pray, Love, but just when I got over my bad attitude and started allowing her to enjoy Italy, she went to India and pissed me off because she reminded me of the mom of a kid in my life, who is too busy following her Teacher to take care of her kid. Which is silly, because the author wisely decided NOT to have a kid, so as to have time to do things like follow a Teacher. But I seem to have it out for the author, so I've put down the book for awhile.

Heather, I hope the appt goes well tomorrow.

Claudia- glad you are feelin good after a great convo with an old friend.

Emily- is it possible granny just forgot to deposit? If not, that it really terrible not to communicate FIRST.

My babysitter is homeschooled (sorta), and I've been tutoring her in math when I get the chance (which has been rare). She's now wanting help in math AND science, and I could use the extra cash, plus I care about her and want to help her, but I'm not really thrilled about losing my hour or so before bedtime, my only personal/dh time. le sigh.

I had my big meeting today with the executive director at work, and may soon be FINALLY switching hours/ job descriptions. It looks like I'll do part-time behavior plan writing, and part time employee training and records. Dh will have to spend an extra day at home and the kids will have to go to the nanny one day a week, but these are transitions I can live with.
#74 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM

Please pray for my nephew(a micropreemie with cp). He's in the icu on a ventilator, not breathing on his own. I got a text from my sister this morning saying this and I can't get anyone to answer their phone to tell me whats going on.

...and my breast pump isn't working right so my milk supply is low, I thought I had fixed it, but no and I'm 99% sure I have a uti, i'll spare you the details.
#75 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 AM

First, let me share that I JUST figured out oy. Yeah, I'm a slacker.

Secondly, hi. Sickies are pretty much gone, went back to the "regular" routine yesterday, with my friend M. and her DS coming over to hang out with Rowan while I went to work in the afternoon. All went well with that, Rowan was SO HAPPY to see L., it was so sweet. M. sent me a pic on my phone and it warmed the heart.

This morning, Rowan has expressed his express desire to NOT go to the library for story hour. And here is my dilemma, please tell me going with my instincts is the way to do it with this;
Dude, *I* don't wanna go to the damn library this morning either! He wants to sit and watch PBS and relax, I want to sit here and catch up with my May Mamas, read a blog or three, and drink my tea. Tomorrow, since we're back on our regular schedule, we leave the house at 9:30 and do not return until early evening. And we HAVE TO do that (swap with M. and then work).
I called DH with all my various insecurities and worries and doubts, and he said, simply: "Keep the baby happy. Who cares how we do this if it isn't hurting anyone?"
He's SO right, I know it. But I am just bombarded with my obsessive doubts like "oh god, he's an only child what if he never learns how to be social?" (DH says, "Look at US...he's never going to be that social!" )

And then add to that my own really weird mood the past couple of days (THANK YOU, Lisa, for reminding me about Mercury! ) where I feel like my house is a mess, my cat is a jerk, and I am lazy, fat and miserable and not raising my kid "right"...whatEVER *that* is!
Okay, enough of my whining. Sorry.

Meesa, so totally sending thoughts to your nephew! Hope you get some sort of update soon!
Lisa, SO glad you're feeling better...yeah, we just got a bad cold over here and UGH, so the flu? Yeah. I'm feeling you. Take care, mama!

Books/movies: I put them together because I SAW the Namesake a while back, whenever it came out. I Kal Penn (who played the lead in the movie) and I really enjoyed the movie and I KNOW it's a book, I just haven't read it yet. : I don't usually listen to Oprah's book picks much. Everyone keeps talking about Eat, Pray, Love so I guess I may as well pick it up!
It would probably do me some good to put down the Chuck Pahlniuk (or however you spell it--he wrote Fight Club, and I've read a bunch of his other stuff--currently in the middle of "Haunted"...I cannot even TELL you how f'ed up his writing is! It's NOT something to read if you want a feel-good book, TRUST me...hey, maybe THAT'S my problem! ) and pick up something less...dark.
DH has also recommended that I read this Love & Rockets (comic book/graphic novel) compilation he has that he thinks I would really like. I haven't read a graphic novel in FOREVER.

I am going to echo EL with the needing happy fuzzy support these days. I am SO in a funk, and it hit me without warning. : Sucks to be me.

I will stop whining now, chances are we're staying home and being lumps all day, but hey, maybe we need it. I dunno anymore.
Have a good day, everyone.

#76 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Lisa, I am SOOO SORRY to hear you've been ill. That SUCKS. Being that sick is no fun for anyone, let alone a mother of two.

Renae, I agree with dh. TAke a load off of your poor brain! Relax and enjoy life as much as you can.
#77 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Lisa, I am SOOO SORRY to hear you've been ill. That SUCKS. Being that sick is no fun for anyone, let alone a mother of two.

Renae, I agree with dh. TAke a load off of your poor brain! Relax and enjoy life as much as you can.

Meesa, thinking about your sweet nephew.
#78 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Meesa, thinking about your sweet nephew.
#79 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM

A little hometime and pbs never hurt anyone.

Praying for ur family Meesa.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#80 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM

thinking of heath and hj...

lisa: sickies be gone!

EL: poop abt the $$$. but what fernie said, is it possible that she actually just forgot?

sarah: thanks for sharing oy. wowza.

renae: you just got oy. : that's funny. and you are clever.

meesa: thinking of your nephew...

i need

~claudia

p.s. are anyone else's smilies and buttons looking broken with little x's where the pics should be? hmmm... dang server...
#81 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 PM

It turns out my nephew has either rsv(which I'm hoping he didn't catch from K *crosses fingers*) or pneumonia. His body handles it by going into seizures. They couldn't stop the seizing so they sedated him, which is why he is not breathing on his own. They told my sis that he should be ok. They are waiting for a neurologist to look at him this morning.

MamaFaery~I feel that way too sometimes. It looks like your lo is telling you he needs a day of relaxation. I would totally go for it, you sound like you need it. Turn the bad thoughts off in your brain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1 View Post
Hi guys, I am sorry I fell out of the thread. I have the flu and I now understand why people actually die from the flu as I have never been so sick in my life.
I hope you feel better and your kids stay healthy.
#82 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 02:46 PM

completely perplexed by server things... it says meesa made a post at 914am PST but mine is the last post i see from 809am PST???!!!???

meesa, i hope things are okay... try to post again!
#83 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM

ok, now i can see it. i thought i was imagining things.

meesa: scary, scary. sending him lots of get well vibes. glad you were able to get more info from your sis instead of worrying about who-knows-what.

please know i'll be thinking of them.

~claudia
#84 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM

I am going to the midwife's for my six week checkup... I've found two masses in my breasts, one on each side. Figuring they were breastfeeding related I thought I would test the theory and pumped one side until drained. The mass didn't change in size. I don't thing I would have ever noticed before because the lumps are trickily hidden. I'm nervous girls...

And it looks like we're heading to Vancouver.... maybe in a couple weeks... maybe in a couple months. Any of you ladies have doc recommendations in that area? ie: no circ, no/delayed vax, bf friendly, rarely prescribe unless truly necessary?

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#85 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, danile, I'm hoping the masses are nothing....but you'll be in my thoughts, anyway. So, Vancouver. Don't know anything about it, but I know it will be a tough move for you to leave family.

meesa-thinking of your nephew.

Okay, I thought our January woes were going to get better....what's up?

Just found out we have to spend another $500 on our other car to get fixed. This is before we've even started paying on the other car's charges and our Phoenix trip! Yuck, yuck, and double yuck.

A is having trouble napping right now, but I left her asleep in our bed. She woke as soon as I got out, but isn't upset so I'm taking a little break. Napping has been an issue lately. She did sleep last night in her crib from 9 until 4:50. That was cool. But rare and I'm not relying on it.

She weighed 15 lb. 14 oz. and is 26 1/4" long at her visit yesterday. I love my ped. She doesn't even ask about starting solids....says she's perfect. We have started solids, BTW, but nice not to have to get the typical talk and recommendation for rice cereal.

Oh, G did great at the mini-sports class on Tuesday. I was so proud of him! He's really been stepping out of his box since A was born and I know it's not easy for him. He's still not the most involved kid, but he sits in the circle during stretches (doesn't actually stretch) and follows the teacher's instructions and actually throws a ball here and there. It helps that we got him fast tennis shoes, ya know
#86 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and I meant to say something about Super Tuesday, too. DH went to caucus on Tuesday night and gave me the full report. I wanted to go too, but caucuses don't really lend themselves to having young children. Next time I get to go. Though, it won't be nearly as interesting probably. Anyway, dh said it was an interesting process. We also saw that cool "We Can" video and G even liked it. It is nice to feel inspired for once....
#87 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Quick ENT recap.... he does in fact have laryngomalacia, but she says it is mild and not anything to worry about unless he gets a croupy cold. Phew! But there is still redness from the reflux so concerned about that and annoyed at the lackluster response from the GI's office. But no matter, the feeding eval team has a good plan.

I'll be back to normal one of these days....until then itsallaboutmeandhj

for the blog readers....my mom called me this morning while we were at the zoo (went after the appt). phew.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#88 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 09:24 PM

A lot to reply to, very little time, and I'm tired...

Danile, I've gotten plugs that were really, really, REALLY hard to unplug. I'm hoping that's what's going on. Moist heat and taking some lecithin might help (go to the bf'ing problems subforum or kellymom.com). Sorry for the fly-by advice slinging, but what *I* am thinking is "oh no, don't get mastitis", not the other scary thing with lumps. (no, not lumpy mashed potatoes)

Thinking about all of you, especially the ones having uh... *challenges*. I'm listing you off in my head and hugging you, but now I have to go to the 1st grade science fair.

#89 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalola View Post

Moms, I'm having a difficult time these days. I co-facilitate a support group and my other facilitator wigged out and "terminated" the group. But see, the group is for women with cancer, and you can't just pull the rug out like that. So they came to me and we decided to start a new group but since it's a group process sort of thing I had to go to my co-facilitator and tell her she was on crack. So the whole day has been phone calls from women trying to figure out this whole thing. I don't want to be in the middle of this, I just want to serve these women so they don't feel totally abandoned.

Aaaaand I'm still struggling to get my work done on this damn dissertation. Will it EVER end?

Aaaaand my grandmother cut us off, so we're short a few thousand bucks this month. Tomorrow I get to grovel and try to convince her that this dissertation isn't just about me, it's about helping people all over the damn place get better care for their cancer pain. and that she has to help us because we have been depending on her and she can't just cut us off without any warning. Seriously- no warning. This morning I looked at my bank account and realized that the automatic deposit hadn't happened and we're totally screwed financially after the great appliance fiasco of January ought eight. wah wah wah, I know. We've been talking about what if this were to happen, but we never expected it to happen just like that for no reason. We expected there would be some sort of warning.
awww, elola. Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Hopefully there's a good reason Gma left you high and dry this month. I hope something works out. Talk about stressful and no notice. And I hope you can get a group going with your cancer group. They most certainly need all the support and community they can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1 View Post
Hi guys, I am sorry I fell out of the thread. I have the flu and I now understand why people actually die from the flu as I have never been so sick in my life. Three days of 101+ fever and delirium is pretty horrible and it's showing no signs of lightening up. Good god, mercury. Thankfully the girls and Alison have been spared so far.
Hope you are feeling tip-top soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post

My babysitter is homeschooled (sorta), and I've been tutoring her in math when I get the chance (which has been rare). She's now wanting help in math AND science, and I could use the extra cash, plus I care about her and want to help her, but I'm not really thrilled about losing my hour or so before bedtime, my only personal/dh time. le sigh.

I had my big meeting today with the executive director at work, and may soon be FINALLY switching hours/ job descriptions. It looks like I'll do part-time behavior plan writing, and part time employee training and records. Dh will have to spend an extra day at home and the kids will have to go to the nanny one day a week, but these are transitions I can live with.
I hope the job switch/hours is a positive switch. You must be a rockin' tutor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
Please pray for my nephew(a micropreemie with cp). He's in the icu on a ventilator, not breathing on his own. I got a text from my sister this morning saying this and I can't get anyone to answer their phone to tell me whats going on.

...and my breast pump isn't working right so my milk supply is low, I thought I had fixed it, but no and I'm 99% sure I have a uti, i'll spare you the details.
dang, meesa, I hope your uti gets resolved. And big big vibes heading out to your nephew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery View Post

This morning, Rowan has expressed his express desire to NOT go to the library for story hour. And here is my dilemma, please tell me going with my instincts is the way to do it with this;
Dude, *I* don't wanna go to the damn library this morning either! He wants to sit and watch PBS and relax, I want to sit here and catch up with my May Mamas, read a blog or three, and drink my tea. Tomorrow, since we're back on our regular schedule, we leave the house at 9:30 and do not return until early evening. And we HAVE TO do that (swap with M. and then work).
I called DH with all my various insecurities and worries and doubts, and he said, simply: "Keep the baby happy. Who cares how we do this if it isn't hurting anyone?"
He's SO right, I know it. But I am just bombarded with my obsessive doubts like "oh god, he's an only child what if he never learns how to be social?" (DH says, "Look at US...he's never going to be that social!" )

And then add to that my own really weird mood the past couple of days (THANK YOU, Lisa, for reminding me about Mercury! ) where I feel like my house is a mess, my cat is a jerk, and I am lazy, fat and miserable and not raising my kid "right"...whatEVER *that* is!
Okay, enough of my whining. Sorry.

Hope you had a nice day in Renae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
I am going to the midwife's for my six week checkup... I've found two masses in my breasts, one on each side. Figuring they were breastfeeding related I thought I would test the theory and pumped one side until drained. The mass didn't change in size. I don't thing I would have ever noticed before because the lumps are trickily hidden. I'm nervous girls...

And it looks like we're heading to Vancouver.... maybe in a couple weeks... maybe in a couple months. Any of you ladies have doc recommendations in that area? ie: no circ, no/delayed vax, bf friendly, rarely prescribe unless truly necessary?
Let us know what the mw said about the lumps! I'm worried about you. And on the move to the 'couv. I don't think that's too terribly far from our PDX mamas, but I may be wrong. It is still hard to be far away from my mom, and it's been almost six years since we moved out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post

Just found out we have to spend another $500 on our other car to get fixed. This is before we've even started paying on the other car's charges and our Phoenix trip! Yuck, yuck, and double yuck.

Oh, G did great at the mini-sports class on Tuesday. I was so proud of him! He's really been stepping out of his box since A was born and I know it's not easy for him. He's still not the most involved kid, but he sits in the circle during stretches (doesn't actually stretch) and follows the teacher's instructions and actually throws a ball here and there. It helps that we got him fast tennis shoes, ya know
on the car, but for the sports class for G! I love watching the kids in action. So darn cute and heartwarming to see them enjoying themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Quick ENT recap.... he does in fact have laryngomalacia, but she says it is mild and not anything to worry about unless he gets a croupy cold. Phew! But there is still redness from the reflux so concerned about that and annoyed at the lackluster response from the GI's office. But no matter, the feeding eval team has a good plan.

I'll be back to normal one of these days....until then itsallaboutmeandhj

for the blog readers....my mom called me this morning while we were at the zoo (went after the appt). phew.
double *wipesbackofhandonbrowandshakes*

MDC better not eat this post!
#90 of 380 Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM

one more thing I forgot to mention...Els.. I can't post to your blog so here it is. The picture of Sol!!!! Wowsers! She's a mini-you! What a beautiful mama and her two girls....I'll also echo what your friend told you...1.5 and 3.5 was extreeeeemely difficult for me, too. The busy making of the 1.5 yo and the insecurities of the 3.5 yo is draining. I feel as if I'm on the other side now, and it's FUN! So hang in there...the hardest part is over IMO, you're doing great.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page