Good things are happening in February, May '04 Mamas!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heath--bad? No. (the playsilks superheroine) Maybe it's from her own head!

Sarah--fully agreed that dh is way cool for taking your last name. A friend of mine and her dh merged their names into one, which I thought was cool. Hart + Reeves = Hartreeve.

Renae--"V-day"!!! I remember that it was on valentine's day two years ago. Two years!!

Developmental question of the day: Since Sol isn't going to "school" this year, I'm just sort of guessing what she should be "working on"--cutting out shapes, identifying shapes, gluing, counting, alphabet-identification....we do some of these things, and wondered if youguys have anything you "teach" in a more concerted way, appropriate for their age, or what have you seen the teachers doing in their "school", etc?
#182 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM

i've never let them know there would be a lap child until i got to the airport to check in because i always buy my tickets online. go for it! i was stoked i did get a 'free' extra seat on my flight home monday and ebin could actually sit up in it with the seatbelt on to give me free hands for part of the ride. nice!

i contemplated the V appt for v-day but still think i might want to wait a while. i'm deep in the DEFINITELY NO BABY EVER AGAIN because of that &^*&%^% sleep thing. i hate it. i'm so freakin tired.

i tried to get dh to take my name but no dice. that's cool

i never posted about the shrinking nipples/nursing toddler thing. yep. that was me. ebin still has free reign but by the time isaac was 18 months i was heavily into distraction modes. after a while it was nursing at nap and bedtime and wakeup only.

i have no idea what isaac is working on at 'school' i know he isn't overly interested in the alphabet.
#183 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 PM

Baby needs to go to sleep! There's a sneak peek to her photographer pics on my blog.

So fri we find out FOR SURE about the job/move. PDX MMF's tell me that you'll be around to hang with so I won't get so lonely! It's hard moving to a place where you don't know everyone.

Els- I'll post about school stuff later.

Grumpy jaz's social hasn't come yet... need our taxes done... : a friend's baby born a week after mine in the same county got hers two weks ago! Is that normal??
#184 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 08:24 PM

My thoughts re school are v. much geared toward Z (in terms of his strengths and what he needs to work on): we do plenty of singing/doing the motions to stuff/playing with noisemaking stuff (he *loves* music, all the other stuff is good gross motor stuff). I can see that Z needs work with cutting, painting, coloring, drawing, writing (arm/hand strength stuff; we need to keep at it). He *loves* stringing beads, manipulating small stuff (and puzzles). According to our preschool teachers, social skills and attention span in groups are *the* 2 really big things to work on. Is there a library story time there you can take advantage of? (Our library also has a lot of really neat free programs on Saturdays, convenient to send Daddy.) We do a lot of playgroups, too, which is not school but def. seeing the same kids over and over again and practicing social skills. You might check out the home-schooling subforum, because there's a lot of info out on the web for home-schooling preschoolers (I did more of this with T : because I had so much more "free time").

On a lark, I got my hair cut, and I feel really good.
#185 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Ooooh KK! Post pics! I wanna see! Glad you feel great. Pampering always is a nice break in mamahood.
#186 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM

danile: I will speak on behalf of the PDX mmf's and say of course we will be around. I will introduce you to some very cool and awesome Vancouver mdc mamas too!

s still snuggly and feeling fevery but just some spit size pukes since early morning. he looks very forlorn.

m demands snack.

~c
#187 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Aww.. TC- I hope S feels better soon. Hopefully M is making your day a little easier on you. Sick babies are such a sad thing.
#188 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Heath- Supersleuths are on the case is from My friends Tigger and Pooh on the Disney channel. Maybe this is what she's saying?

bbl, kids climbing...
#189 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Sherri---ahhh...that might be it! She watched that yesterday morning.

*yawn*

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#190 of 380 Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Ug... just had a confrontation with the friend I mentioned earlier in the week. A mutual friend confided in me that our friend has an untreated brain tumor and that she's afraid *that* is what is causing his erratic behavior. Of course, if you're being erratic and crazy, you don't want to hear about it, no matter how gentle it is, and you don't want your secret tumor mentioned. So I'm done.

I think I need some karma cleansing, goils. It's getting a little ridiculous.
#191 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 AM

KK~I wanna see pics! about your friend.

Danile~Way cute pic : , I can't wait to see more!

DH made me the best video EVER! Made me cry happy tears. I love that man.

We left Saige's lovey at the babysitter, now she's freaking out and I'm trying to get her to go for something else for tonight. yuck.
#192 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 AM

i hope little S perks up soon. poor sickie-boy. it is hard on mama too!

kk - that sounds really wierd (your friend's behavior). your list of things you do with Z made me think of yesterday when i got there to pick up isaac. he was wearing a fruit-loop necklace and he had filled the WHOLE THING. (usually he'll have about 15 loops at the bottom of the string. this time it was continuous.....he was a stringing machine)

doug picked up isaac today and i was really excited for him to get home so i could look in his valentine goody bag! i feel like i went to a valentine's party too. i guess that is that reliving childhood vicariously through your kids thing fun!
#193 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM

KK- untreated brain tumor, erratic behavior rang huge bells for me--my grandmother, who died before I was born, had a brain tumor that created such erratic behavior, that it turned tragic--or almost--she would be sort of Jekyll/Hyde, and thought her kids were out to "get her" and would chase them around with knives, tried to kill my uncle several times, but never my mother. And then, when she was normal, all was ducky. That's extreme, but I'm sure her behavior started somewhere. The tumor pressed on her pituitary and she died young. Sorry that the confrontation you had with your friend turned yucky. I think it's yours and Heather's turn for some GOOD NEWS about now.

Had a mini-gig last night, that was pretty fun. I think I got another gig from that one, so that's awesome. And I have lost 9 pounds of the 50 extra I was carrying. My main bellydance podner is a 64 year old woman...she's so cool. The other one, I can't remember if I told youguys about her dh being kidnapped? He's back now, 9 months later, in a terrible state (something like 85 pounds, he weighs?) and they kidnapped the money courier guy for more money. Something sordid like, my friend's dh said just let me go (and he was close to death anyway, so the kidnappers probably relented on that point) and I can get you more money (my friend, who has had to deal with the negotiation, would not budge on certain financial points) and you can take this guy for ransom....
Let's just say, it's a life that none of us here can even imagine having to live. I haven't seen her since he returned and they're in hiding somewhere, I think he's in a hospital.

I have tons going on these days and happily today has been freed up considerably by a cancellation. Lots of little "side jobs" (doing the books for so and so, private lesson for so and so, meeting a woman to organize movement classes for a recovery program, organizing a bellydance course for sunday, gig sunday afternoon, then the regular job of the big house, etc). Viet and I continue on the upward trend thank gods.

Meesa coolness about the video. Makes my heart glad to hear of happy, loving relationships. What is Saige's lovey? Sol doesn't have one. Who else on here has kids with loveys? Describe them!

KK rock on with the haircut. Pic on blog, please!

Must go refill coffee. Still have funny spots on my face from last night's bellydance makeup.
#194 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Her lovey is this little stuffed lamb that she calls her rat. It looks more like a rat than a lamb. My grandparents gave it to her for Christmas. It's weird what they attach themselves to. Rat has been replaced with elmo temporarily.
I didn't know brain tumors could do such things, but it makes sense if you think about it.
#195 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Interesting that you mention the weight, Els, because I think you look really good, really luscious (at least in pix ). You may be carrying extra weight, you may not be where you want to be, but I can't say that it looks bad, to be honest. (I am built like a boy, no boobs, no waist, no hips, and any extra weight does *not* give me curves, just makes me look more tube-like rather than board-like. So in that regard, I'm jealous.)

Jess, I have to admit that I love looking through their valentines, esp. appreciate the homemade ones (but I'm also amused at how Spiderman can be manipulated into this holiday, with nary a heart on the card).

Wow SCARY on your friend's dh, Els.

Little spacey here, but vegan-nun-approved (vegan) muffins in the oven. Must go check.

I will whine again... I'm ready for the germy season to be over. :
#196 of 380 Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 PM

yes - i was feeling like a slacker for not making the valentine's this year. but we did last year! hopefully next year i'll get my act together.

kk - i sound like you. no waist or curves to speak of here somehow my a$$ is shrinking away to nothing (flat as a board) while my pregnancy weight around my waist is not going anywhere. hence i have the butt-smaller-than-waist phenom going on now which serves to make PANTS FALL DOWN constantly. as i was with isaac around 9 months i am skinnier than pre-preg right now. that's what 24hr nursing of a 25 pounder does. he's sucking the life outta me. and boy am i consuming some calories.

nap time for the wee one.
#197 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 AM

OK, just reading after a few days away, skipping to post and say,

Claudia, I am SO SORRY. I am sure we gave you that bug. W caught it Sunday at church, but of course these things take 24-48 hours for symptoms, and he first puked Monday night. S puking Wednesday is the exact timeline one would expect from exposure on Monday. Sorry sorry sorry!!! DH has it and L is coming down with it. I so far have been spared, but have to take off work to take care of my three guys. W is still having diahrea, but eating well now and on probiotics. : : : hope everyone in your household is well soon- wash your hands a ton.
#198 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Reading not very carefully, and without caffeine, I read FF saying to TC that she's sorry, she's sure she gave them that hug. And I wonder to myself why she's apologizing.... Off to make tea.

I feel a little dorky reporting this, but I think I told you guys that I freecycle requested (and received) a bunch of plant cuttings in January. One lady gave me ~6 different African violet leaves to root. They've all rooted out, and I'm going to pot them up this weekend. They seem like such a little old lady plant, but I've never had any, so I'm actually pretty excited to see them grow and bloom. (That's my good news for the day. )
#199 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM

That's a MG dork, really. I love them too and always ruin them overwatering.

FF--sometimes you just don't know til it's too late!

birthday festivities continue this weekend. going out to lunch at PF Chang's when my sister gets here. ::::

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#200 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

Layin' low today after bleeding myself silly last night. I wanted to write, 'almost bleeding to death', but that sounds so dramatic. I never felt near death. 5.30 pm, I had a sudden, bright red gush, followed by copious, copious amounts of bright red blood and HUGE amounts of blood clots, until the doc/mw came and injected me with some drug that stops that kind of bleeding, at midnight.

It's been 2.5 weeks since the "procedure", and during those weeks I've had VERY light spotting, only requiring a pantiliner, if even that, most days. I have no pain or fever or lightheadedness, which would require going to the hospital and having the procedure again. The mw who performed the thing is out of town, and her backup (my mw from the girls' births) is who came out. She asked why I hadn't asked her to do it, and I responded that I didn't think she did those. She said, if a woman is in need, she does it. Wow--a whole underworld of abortions down here. I had no idea.

This is like the abortion that just won't quit. It's getting ridiculous.

I feel fine today, if not kinda wiped.
Viet took the girls out and I have some blessed alone time here in my own house. yay!
#201 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Layin' low today after bleeding myself silly last night. I wanted to write, 'almost bleeding to death', but that sounds so dramatic. I never felt near death. 5.30 pm, I had a sudden, bright red gush, followed by copious, copious amounts of bright red blood and HUGE amounts of blood clots, until the doc/mw came and injected me with some drug that stops that kind of bleeding, at midnight.

It's been 2.5 weeks since the "procedure", and during those weeks I've had VERY light spotting, only requiring a pantiliner, if even that, most days. I have no pain or fever or lightheadedness, which would require going to the hospital and having the procedure again. The mw who performed the thing is out of town, and her backup (my mw from the girls' births) is who came out. She asked why I hadn't asked her to do it, and I responded that I didn't think she did those. She said, if a woman is in need, she does it. Wow--a whole underworld of abortions down here. I had no idea.

This is like the abortion that just won't quit. It's getting ridiculous.

I feel fine today, if not kinda wiped.
Viet took the girls out and I have some blessed alone time here in my own house. yay!
Wow. I am so sorry. I really hope this is the end of it all. Yeah, it *won't* quit. Ug.

The underworld part of it... this is why I'm adamantly pro-choice (not that I want to start a debate, and not that I don't respect people who don't agree)... I don't think making it illegal makes it stop happening at all, and I want it to be as safe as possible.

Please rest, rest, rest--not just today, not just tomorrow. Taking the girls is something Viet can do to help you get through this, because really, he hasn't had a whole lot to do with it (beyond helping create the situation in the first place). I mean it; I want your girlie parts to be okay.
#202 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 05:19 PM

I'm worried about you, elsanne! Really, really, really, you HAVE to rest and take care of yourself. I'm glad Viet has the girls - the least he can do is give you a chance to rest. I'm thinking warm healing thoughts for you. Heck, I'm going to go make you some chamomile tea right now.

Had a dream last night that I went to the local outdoor pool to sign the girls up for swim lessons, but couldn't figure out where to go or what to do. Never fear, guess who showed up to help me? SuperKK! Talked me through the whole process. Then she suggested that since we were here, maybe we should swim some laps. I agreed, and was ready to jump in but felt like something was missing. KK said, very gently, that I should probably locate my children. So we did that, and then I woke up. Thanks for all the help, KK! (Anybody good with dreams?)

Took the kids to the rainforest exhibit at the zoo today - much fun. It's like a little blast of Costa Rica in the midst of a Cleveland winter. On the way back, in a moment of complete quiet in the car, Allison asked her dad, "Why does your butt have to be closed? Why can't we walk with our butts open?" I didn't hear his answer because I was laughing so hard tears were rolling down my face.
#203 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM

carp. sending els lotsa love today and every day.

in more all about me news, our hot water heater crapped out on us and is leaking from the anode tube plug at the top. mercury be damned, oh carp almighty... repair is maybe possible, but the cost ($180+driving time (we live at the edge of suburbia and far away from the repair place) +parts) is getting close to cost of new tank water heater AND this one is 11 years old and water heaters are 10-15 year lifespan, so we are headed to hot water heater store to shop for a new one they can install tomorrow. carp indeed.
#204 of 380 Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Juice: that butt comment made me guffaw aloud, really loudly. I love Allison.

SuperKK indeed. Loved your dream.

I had a "realization" just now while I was sunning my buns outside (yes, taking to heart that "take care of myself" thing, moms). This lifestyle (working too hard with too little support) could quite literally kill me! The body is so wise, if we but listen to it. I have said numerous times in the past few weeks that I truly can't take any more than I am dealing with, to myself, to you, to anyone who will listen. At several points I have had maximum work stress, maximum partner stress, and maximum child stress, occasionally all at the same time. And the whole physical/emotional muck and mire of the abortion. I wish I could promise myself an extended time to take care of myself, or being taken care of, but that's a lofty notion. I can only take it moment by moment.
#205 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 AM

Holy cow.
I haven't been online much in the past couple of days and then all this craziness! *OMFGHUGS*!!! Elsanne! I understand only being able to take it moment by moment, but I will not lie and say I am not extremely worried about you, Mama.
: I am sending as much love and healing energy as I can down your way. :

All about me? Eh, not much. Had a ROUGH Friday with Rowan (and two other kinds I was taking care of at various points of the day) and then went to the mall on the way home from work. We got our return so we have a *little* bit we can splurge with...and I finally found a good pair of black lace-up Doc Martenish boots...for LESS than $50! It's the little things. Hah.

And right now it's kinda late and I am tired, so I just wanted to say I was present.

The butt comment killed me btw.

P.S. Pulled "The Indigo Child" (at least I think that's what it's called) off my shelf in a fit of "OMG ANYTHING TO HELP!" last week, and though much of it makes me roll my eyes either in disbelief or amusement, I am getting some really good reminders and thoughts. It's helping. I think finding anything that tells us we're not ALONE in all this a comforting thing...yeah. My deep thought for the night.

#206 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 02:29 AM

elsanne~omg! That can be scary. You need to rest NOW!

about the butt comment.

There has been way too much stress in my life the last week. Work is such a pita right now. I'm waiting to see how much of a raise I got to see if it's worth it to stay there. Otherwise, I'm out. K hasn't been sleeping well and Saige is in the middle of a huge power struggle. All of a sudden she thinks it's ok to tell us "no" and "I don't want to" like it's going to get her out of it. Tomorrow, we're taking the kids to grandma's and going snowboarding! Yay!
#207 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 AM

have fun snowboarding! i'm jealous. we have so much snow here and we haven't.gone.once. (dh and i together).

i'm going to a babyshower tomorrow and i am definitely looking forward to a ZERO child getaway tomorrow. kind of the opposite of the no child left behind. all children will get left behind for a few blessed hours! (not that they were overly difficult today or anything. it is just that i had ebin at the shower i went to in the bay area and there is a whole lot of baby-coddling that entails rather than "relaxing"). i'm ready for some relaxing!!

we had a grrrrrrreat productive day here. yayhooty! we took out the door that was never working properly and we'll have to try again. meanwhile doug put the subfloor down today. i moved a pile of leftover scrap firewood. we burned the christmas tree : we picked up a ton and a half of downed twigs and i cleared and pruned dead perrenials. it has been a windy winter and this is the first day it was pleasant enough to be outside! doug and our friend 'drunkle' organized the garage. sweet! isaac ran around the back yard and killed worms. i uncovered some mating beetles and he wanted to kill those too how long does this death death kill phase last??? i'm trying to infuse some more buddhist phisophies into his reality but it is slow-going.

i am realllllllly craving warmth and signs of spring and digging outside. this is serious 'move south' season for me because spring has not really sprung despite the 3 days of warmish weather. i planted some tulip bulbs today and have no idea if they'll bloom. our daffodil shoots are only about 5". i bought 4 bare-root roses to plant but need to dig up some grass to put them in a nice sunny spot.

ebin rolled around and ate some dirt off the kitchen floor this afternoon : this mobile 2nd baby thing is HARD to monitor. he is heavily into eating everythign right now. this evening he put some other tiny leaf or something in his mouth and started choking. so i jump down and start to help him and he gags&barfs. and then by the time i put the cleanup rag in the kitchen i come back to find he has my thimble in his mouth!! (i had been sewing and just dropped it when he was choking).

geesh.

elsanne - that sucks your body is sending you the stress signals. it sounds hard (life in general). sunning your buns sounds like a good start to taking it easy whenever you can

that is carpity carpy about the water heater, claudia. that is one of those things i expect will happen at some inopportune moment. who knows how old ours is.

i found an office i'm going to apply for. it is at the end of our street...nice and convenient. my parents said they'll sleep there when they visit perfect! ha.

time to hit the hay
#208 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Els, please give us an update when you can. I'm concerned about you, too, and am thinking good thoughts for you.

jstar-enjoy the baby free time! I went out for a movie and drinks with a friend I don't see nearly enough. We saw "The Bucket List." Whatta movie! We laughed, we cried, it was a really really good movie. Of course, I love any movie with Morgan Freeman. He's da man!

Meesa, I hope your work sitch rights itself. Sorry you're not happy there.

TC, hope you found the proper H2O heater.

KK, for the last few years I have always had an African Violet on my kitchen windowsill. They've done quite well for me, and I look forward to the blooms. I do the opposite of Heather, I forget to water it, but I think it suits it just fine.

mamameg-where are you mama? And Jacquie, I hope everything went OK until your honey got home. And LIsa, how's the plague at your house?
#209 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 10:58 AM

Hi guys--

jstar that sounds like a supah-productive day...glad you'll get a good office and a good day today.

likewise meesa have so much fun 'boardin'!!!!

renae, yay for new cool boots and $ to buy them with!

update: started bleeding great guns again (I believe they call this "hemorraghing") last night and the mw said, come on in to the hospital, we need to do the procedure again. *sigh* drove myself, bleeding, had it all done, myself, crying, pain ouch ouch; drove myself home afterward. do you see a theme here? v was with the girls, who were "too tired" to go to the babysitter according to him.
There were 3 largeish chunks of "stuff" not properly evacuated by the first mw, and this one is the one i had in the girls' births, so i felt great with her--i trust her with my life.

hopefully now, this is really over.
#210 of 380 Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Hopefully you could feel the MMF love surrounding you and holding you close, even if we weren't physically present. I'm so sorry you had to go through that alone. I'm glad you were comfortable with the MW.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page