Good things are happening in February, May '04 Mamas!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, yes, February will be a better month!!!!

Link to old thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=819911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

megan-sorry about feeling left out. I get ya on that one....

renae-sorry you feel sicko. hopefully a day on the couch will do you good.

elsanne-glad you're feeling better

who else??? to all my May Mamas!!!!

Had A's 6-month pics taken yesterday. So cute! I'll post the link OY when they come in. Also found her a sweet white dress for her Easter Eve baptism! I love the girls section. So fun after boy stuff.

Snowing here...again. I'm so over winter.

More later, baby fussing.
#3 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM

happy february to all my MMF!

may february bring you all continuing peace, strength, wisdom, clarity, prosperity (Lakshmi: you hear that?) and of course, love (if from no where else, love for one's self and from those own MMF babes and siblings and certainly love from the MMF themselves).

~claudia
#4 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM

Checking in and subbing. What up, yo?

Feeling a bit better today. John got home last night and we talked and it helped. He read me some quotes from a book he reads for inspiration and it made me feel slightly better, but at the same time, also made me feel a bit trapped, because while YES, I know I will have more me time and more social time in the future, I don't and can't have it now and it sucks. I am VERY social by nature, so going for weeks on end without getting together with friends is hard for me.

But I do have plans to see some girlfriends (my bffs) on Sunday. Shopping and lunch. Yay.

Also feeling kinda carpy about my status at the winery. They are going on their big ski trip next week and I didn't get invited. I am "only seasonal" (which means I work 8 out of 12 months of the year) and I know they are trying to cut corners ($) but it really feels sucky to be left out of what is supposed to be a fun, bonding, team building thing. I suspect that the winemaker played a role in me not being invited - she and I don't get along and she's a central figure over there. Needless to say, I'm not feeling all that motivated to sell wine for people who don't appreciate me, so I'm going to be looking for other work. Bah.

Anyway, I'm just griping. Argh. (Is there a pirate smilie? )
#5 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM

there SHOULD be a pirate smilie.
#6 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM

:::
#7 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM

meg - that sucks about girls night out AND the winery ski thing. i've gone out very rarely. maybe once every other month. and it feels like just *barely* enough time for me to not be responsible for ANYTHING or anyone. i get work time without kids but that doesn't give me the feeling that 'hey! i'm a free unit for a couple of hours!' if anything i realize how perpetually behind i am everytime i try to get things done

well i better scrub the comet off my tub before the paint dissolves. i don't usually use comet but it was getting that stained look.

i just got an email from MIL that SIL and her bf broke up. oh nooooo
#8 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM

ok babe is down and isaac is mopping. i like this plan! he looooves to clean.

the thing with doug and drinking is that it isn't always a problem. that is what he turns to in times of stress (and his business goes through periodic stress cycles and having a baby or whatever). i think that is what i find fascinating about celebrity rehab. dr. drew said binge drinking is harder to treat because it isn't like a bottle of vodka a day kind of drinking. if it is only periodic it is really easy to convince yourself it is ok.

ok. i'm getting ready to totally rewire our stereo and speakers to incorporate a new turntable we got for christmas and hook up my speakers in the basement. not something i love to do -- but i have far more patience than that man!!!

oh wait...lunch calls :
#9 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Just want to say how much I appreciate you all. Kind of a down day today, but overall life is good, things are good.

sooooooo uhhhh can't think of much else to say. eh.

Where's Heather? How is HJ?

Here, here for February being MUCH better than January.
#10 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Here's to February being a better month! Since we've been hibernating so much, everyone wants to get together this weekend. We have so many plans it's making me dizzy. It should be fun though. I just agreed to host a superbowl party at our house. I don't even watch football or know what teams are playing
I need to clean my house and start making all the food I'm supposed to be making!
#11 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Also just want to comment on the fun-ness of girl things, Jacqueline. They are like little dolls, it's fun. Fun until they get minds of their own about whether or not they are into being dressed.

jstar--cuteness about the cleaning. Sol has no such proclivities. Well, very occasionally she'll sweep. Takes after her mother.
Also, bummah about the binge drinking. Indeed I'd say it's harder to treat, the little I know of such things.
#12 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM

I was just thinking of Heather and HJ this morning as I woke up, wondering what's happenin. I think last she said was they had to wait a month and see if he ate better, so she's probably in wait-and-see mode with that.

Renae, that was really amazing about your sympathetic late ouchie period.

Both kids have had the stomach flu. It wasn't that bad, though. One night of barfing, night before last. Dh is getting it now. I had grumbly tummy for a night but think I've escaped. I've said it before and I'll say it again, how amazing it is to deal with run-of-the-mill sickness after the worry worry worry I went through with L when he was little. Now, even when he's sick, he'll actually SIP WATER. It's so cool. I don't have to think, "ok, how deydrated do I let him get before we go to the ER for IV fluids?" Yesterday my babysitter (who GAVE the kids the bug), was scheduled to be here 7 hrs while I taught CPR. I had so many no-shows I cancelled the class, but kept the babysitter anyway. So I had 7 hrs of help with the laundry and sick kids. I totally can't afford this kind of luxury, but it _rawked_. I get to go to work tonight and sleep.

Megan, next time they'll think about whether saving a bit of $ is worth losing a valued employee. Hope you find something else you like.
#13 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Well good grief, I thought y'all were just quiet today! Oops! Totally didn't catch on to the new thread.

We're here. Eating, choking, gaining weight all the while. So that is good. Big feeding eval is next week and need to sort out his issues and the possibility of respiratory things complicating his swallow. See blog. Won't rehash here. Just tired. Thanks for thinking of us. Answers. I want answers. Easy ones preferably. Ha!

/end itsallaboutmepost

thinking of you all even if I'm too flaky to say so in more words than that.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#14 of 380 Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Hi all.

Heather, glad things are at least in a holding pattern and not getting worse. I hope you get easy answers, too.

Lily does not get excited about cleaning. Occasionally will want to wipe up a spill or mess she has made, but that's it.

She also has never been willful about what she wants to wear *knock on wood*. We pick out her clothes every day without comment. She does often refuse to change into her day clothes from pajamas, but we have always been pretty strict about that so usually it's just the habitual, initial refusal and running away, then she comes back and pouts while we do it. Do all your babes put on their own clothes by now? I've wondered if she's behind in that. She can take off pants and underpants, sometimes her shirt but often gets frustrated with that. Can put on some shoes and sometimes underpants but not pants or shirt. I think the frustration factor is the problem - she has the motor skills to do it but gets frustrated at the first sign of getting it wrong (backwards or inside out). The girl has very little patience with herself in that way. She can color inside the lines of the most intricate little coloring page, but take the time to carefully put her arms in the correct sleeves? Forget it.

Fiddle - I'm glad you had help when you needed it. Tummy bugs are no fun. Hope everyone, including DH, is on the mend soon.

Meesa - good luck with the SB party! I have no idea what teams are playing, either. Yesterday DH said, "I think the SB is this weekend," and that's the first I'd heard of it.

jstar - glad DH is making an effort r/t drinking. I have more to say about "binge" drinking and stress but prefer to do it oy. Maybe later.

S.
#15 of 380 Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM

i'm sneaking oh so quietly onto the puter because the whole house is still sleeping. left boob is going to pop! ebin woke up every 2 hours all night and i think i fed twice on the wrong boob and then he slept from 5:30 onwards. yay for a good sleep stretch!

i still mostly pick isaac's clothes. he'll sometimes express an opinion but it is usually about which shoes he wants to wear. he sounds almost exactly like lily. he can do pants, underwear and socks but he hates shirts even though i have seen him put them on. he definitely can't get them off very easily. his thing with shoes is only wearing ones he can put on by himself at school (no laces). he had these velcro vans which i kept saying were too small but he *insisted* on wearing them despite me buying him other (cute!) shoes. so he wore those on vacation and i thought if i had time i would shop for new velcro shoes. well then he had a poop accident, stepped in it, tromped it all over the part of my mom's bathroom that has carpet...and i just threw the vans in the trash.

so then it was shoe buying under pressure. in portland i more have the problem of seeing too many things i like. in bakersfield there was ....nuthin! luckily a friend came to my rescue and gave me 2 handmedown pairs of sneakers. (both wirh laces though). then my mom bought him spiderman velcro sneaks with lights. can i just say BLECH. of course these are now the only shoes he will wear he had seen them before and i told him they didn't have his size :

now dh is up and wanting the blueberry buttermilk pancakes i said i was making this morning

my question: elsanne said she didn't keep a paper journal. does anyone? i do but write in it so sporadically. internet typing has definitely taken the place of that in so many ways.

hf - the eating, choking and growing thing made me go 'awww!' it sounds so rough. i hope you find answers. on the growing side of things let me know when he starts moving up in sizes if you ever want more clothes. i've got a bunch and i haven't gotten rid of anything yet. some part of me can't bear to!

beth - the luxurious babysitter help sounds like a GREAT treat and i'm so glad the sickies are just run of the mill for you guys now. i bet W has changed a ton since i saw you last.

jacq - i would be *out of control* with respect to girl shopping so fun. i saw some super cute girly eastery clothes last night. sweetness!

has anyone read jessica seinfeld's deliciously deceptive cookbook? my mom gave it to me. in the last few days i've tried pureed spinach hidden on pita pizzas, pureed cauliflower in tuna salad and then last night i made chicken tenders dipped in a mix of pureed sweet potato, pureed pineapple, coconut flakes and then breadcrumbs (aloha chicken tenders). and isaac has been eating all of it! i want to try the spinach brownies. it is totally handy for feeding ebin too!

babe is awake.
#16 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 AM

jstar~I just borrowed The Sneaky Chef from the library yesterday. It's the same idea as deliciously deceptive. I made the chocolate chip pancakes this morning and they were really good. They have applesauce, wheat germ, yogurt, wheat flour and a bunch of other healthy stuff in them. I was pleasantly surprised I was going to make the fried chicken tonight but ended up going out instead.
I'm anxious to try the spinach brownies too
#17 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Mia had her dance recital yesterday and the cuteness was completely overwhelming. She stole the show! During her group's performance anyway. The REAL show stealer of the whole thing was the tiniest little tap dancer who was barely 2 years old and cutest thing evah! But Mia was pretty darned adorable, too. She was totally consumed with finding us in the audience, so during the whole performance, she was about 2 feet in front of the rest of the girls, near the front of the stage, scanning the front rows with a very intent look on her face. Then every once in a while she would wave at someone (we knew a lot of people there). And at the end of their number, when all the other girls had gone off stage, Mia remained all by herself, still trying to find us in the crowd. SO CUTE! The tutu, the hair piece, the glitter make-up (very minimal), it was all too much. I almost died from my heart swelling out of my chest. We took some pics, but I can't find the dang cord to get them out of the camera and into the computer. Bah.

Re clothing, Mia picks out her own clothes. She never used to care and then one day a few months ago, she started insisting on picking them out. As long as they are weather appropriate, I let her wear whatever. As for putting them on herself, she just needs help getting the underwear or pants facing the right way and then she puts them on herself. Shirts, she lays them out and flips them around and gets them on herself, too. She still needs help putting on a dress, and taking off a shirt (over the head gets frustrating), but other than that, she's pretty self sufficient. Yay!

jess, that book sounds interesting, even if she is being sued for ripping it off.

Hope all the sick people are feeling better today.

I gotta go start getting ready for my day of shopping (more like window shopping for me, but whatever, it's girl time!).
#18 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 PM

jstar- I've got that book on my wishlist. My FIL is coming to town next weekend to give us belated winter gifts, so I'm hoping that will be one of the gifts. I saw her on Oprah and the recipes looked so good.

Ah, dance recitals. I tried to get the lentil to agree to take ballet classes, but he insisted that ballet is for girls and refused. Maybe the peanut will go for it. I will appreciate the cuteness from afar, moms.

oop- baby's up.
#19 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Em, have you tried suggesting tap classes? At the recital, there were several boys who did break dancing and that was awesome, but even cooler was a boy about 12 yrs old doing a tap duet with a girl about the same age. It was so great! Actually, the boy was better than the girl. I think the popularity of tv shows like So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With the Stars are showing boys that it IS cool to dance, so maybe the trend of "its only for girls" is passing. I can't recall if you guys watch tv or not, but if you do, maybe exposing the lentil to men dancing will change his tune. Maybe not, and that's okay too.
#20 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Hey Maymamas! Lots to say and respond to, but I only have time for one super-quick question - does anyone have a worm bin? I feel like I read something about it a loooooong time ago, but I could be hallucinating.
#21 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM

I have a worm bin. A wriggly wranch to be exact. Still working out some bugs :LOL but I think it works great.
#22 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM

need some mmf! virtual hugs for HJ---headed to the ER with him. He's breathing fast and noisy so not sure if he just aspirated again or what. Will update later if we come home or tomorrow if not.

#23 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Oh gawd Heather - hugs hugs and more hugs. I hope it's nothing major and you all are home again quick as a wink.

S.
#24 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM

heath: thinking of you and hj... update when you can.

~c

p.s. frikka frakka dumb server...
#25 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 PM

Oh, Heather. I sure hope it's nothing big. Thinking about you makes me want to cry with the dedication and "unsung praises" of motherhood. I'm thinking of you and your children.
#26 of 380 Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 PM

:
#27 of 380 Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 AM

home soon as requested by sarah...

ped concluded twas likely his reflux causing the funky breathing episode. xray looked good. no other pokes or prods.

#28 of 380 Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM

*whew* HF, glad things turned out to be fine.

Now... UNIVERSE! LISTEN UP, YO! Cut Heather some slack NOW! Grrrrrr......
#29 of 380 Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 AM

yes, whew, indeed, heath. so the phrase reflux sux is appropriate, right? stop scaring the crap outta your mom, hj!!!

trying to get rid of the *bug* that's been going around here. i feel much better overall today, just a slightly stuffy head feeling. poor stefan, puked a bit of dinner tonight, but i think it may have been the texture of the noodles he wasn't used to. and his poopy dipes are stinky and mucousy from the cold/bug he's had. blech.

off to check on the bigger boy and daddy finishing up the evening thomas-on-tivo-watching-before-bed...

~claudia
#30 of 380 Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Heather, I'm so glad he's OK! Enough is enough already, right?

sickies and snotties and colds BEGONE.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page