September '04 mamas seein' their shadows in Feb - 6 more weeks of winter! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 176 Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Gosh, Samantha are you OK -- or is he just recommending that stuff to double check everything? Are you in pain a lot?
I only have pain when I put my ear to my shoulder (either way) or when I turn my head to the side for more than a minute. But, that's pain I didn't have before my accident. It's not super severe, but it is an inconvenience, so I'd like it to be remedied.

Today I went to my regular chiropractor, and I swear, it was like a battle between two jealous boyfriends! Each was trying to *One Up* the other guy and see what the best course of treatment is for me! My chiro was critiqueing (sp?) everything the other one said, but he did take heed to some of the things mentioned, so he tailored his plan accordingly. I am feeling very good right now!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#62 of 176 Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

hey, lookit this nice picture I took today.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#63 of 176 Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM

yay jen!!!!! congratulations!!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#64 of 176 Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM

JEN, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

: : : : : : : : : : : :

#65 of 176 Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Oh yeah! I need to hear some GOOD news! Super great news Jen!! SO happy for you and Jo!
#66 of 176 Old 03-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Woo hoo!!!! So wait, are you in my ddc or are you in the Dec. DDC??? I hope it's MINE!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#67 of 176 Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ashley, I'm going for the December DDC because of how "late" T was and the fact that my EDD is November 28 or 29. Although I may float between both depending on which group is friendlier

Thanks for the congrats women!!! I still find it a bit hard to believe, and, as you can tell by the picture of the stick, at first, I figured it was negative, because I didn't look closely enough. But given that my period still hasn't arrived I'm sticking with the positive and looking forward.

My big question: those of you with two, when did you tell your older one they would become a bro/sis?

#68 of 176 Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 AM

Hi jen, there is actually a thread about this in the Nov DDC. I think many of the women on that thread said they waited until 3-4 months along, so in case of m/c they wouldn't have to explain why the baby wasn't coming anymore.

OK , I am totally officially tired of winter. There is a blizzard outside, it's 20 degrees, I barely got out of the driveway this morning. While in seattle it's 55, there are daffodils and tulips and cherry trees blooming. Agh!! I can't take it.

#69 of 176 Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM

Yeah Jen!!!

With Lulu, I waited til about a month before the baby was due. However, Lulu was only 23 months old when Gingy was born, so language was limited. Now, I would wait til I were out of the first trimester than share the joy and excitement!

Love

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#70 of 176 Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Congrats, Jen!
We waited until the end of the first trimester. When I started showing we started talking about what was in there. Being Andrew, however, he didn't really care. I think he would be more interested now. Again, it was because of the trickiness of explaining a miscarriage, and that we didn't tell anyone else, either, and we didn't want him blabbing.

Happy EAster, all! Dh is so funny, because we didn't grow up really celebrating EAster that much, but now that we're Anglican its more of a big deal. So this morning he says, "Hey, Lent is over. We should celebrate". And I was like, "We do, Dave. ITs called EASTER."

Ashley, I am totally with you on being done with winter. We are just starting to get puddles, but still also have ice and the wind is so bitter its still hard to take the boys out.

Becca, sorry about your dh's job loss.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#71 of 176 Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM

We told Robin pretty much right away - within a few days of the positive test. We had her share the news with our parents (She told them "I'm gonna be big sister!") so she could catch the excitement. Our theory on the "in case of miscarriage" is that we share the pregnancy with the poeple who's support and understanding we would need if we were to miscarry - so we tell immediate family and close friends (Oh, and all of MDC). But Robin was younger and less blabby than she is now. We bought "welcome with love" to help her understand the birth aspect and b/c we were planning a homebirth with her present.

Eli's birthday is today! He's a big one year old now - hard to believe that one year ago right now I was holding a tiny little newborn. tonight he's cutting his 11th tooth and working on walking.
#72 of 176 Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Happy Birthday Eli!! I cannot believe that Anna will be TWO in three months. Crazy.

I'm so excited because we get to get out of this WINTER and head to seattle in 10 days. We just got tickets. Two free, one paid for. That's the only way to do it (thank you frequent flier miles and AA credit card!!)

Jen, I'm so excited for you. I was watching an awesome birth video on youtube the other day and Thor just happened to see it and he was SO fascinated. He watched it with amazement and when the baby's head crowned he was like, LOOK! That baby is coming out of her 'gina! Look, mama!!! He was so excited!

Jilly, I laughed at what your DH said and your response about Easter.

#73 of 176 Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 AM

I'm going to pook my lurkey-loo head out, even though there's a grand chance that absolutely nobody here will remember who I am.

I just couldn't resist the chance to do a Snoopy Dance of great Joy for Jen....wooooohooooooooooooo. That's the coolest picture I've seen all week.

Now, back to the corner for me!

~L (mom of Rock Star Em, Nate the Great, and Anna the 3 year old Banana)
#74 of 176 Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Leighleighleighleighleighleighleighleighleighleigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to do a dance because I've seen you for, like, the first time in two years!!!!!!

:

(thanks btw )

#75 of 176 Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Leighleighleighleighleighleighleighleighleighleigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to do a dance because I've seen you for, like, the first time in two years!!!!!!

:

(thanks btw )
Happy Wednesday, Jen!

I have to admit that I'm the worst sort of lurker. I read all the blogs, follow the threads, and privately rejoice or grieve or grow with you guys...but I never share and rarely speak.

~L
#76 of 176 Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Hello Cuddlemama! I remember you! Good to see you back!

#77 of 176 Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Super duper humongous gigantic exhuberant CONGRATULATIONS to you Jen, Jo and Tristan!!!! I am So very thrilled for you! Yippeee!!!

Have you had any frozen waffles yet??? te heee...

Hi there Leigh! so nice to have you say hello, I've been lurking alot lately too. I feel guilty posting while at work and have dial up connection at home... leads to me wanting to post but not doing it. Anyway, glad you said hello.

Becca dear give Eli a belated birthday kiss from me, I can only imagine how big he must be, I really must send you those pictures i took a year ago when visiting Georgia!!! You'll probably freak at what a little baby he is in those pics!

Augs hope you enjoy your trip, now that I'm nearly unemployed we may plan a trip to Georgia to see my sis... could be great fun!

Jilly glad to hear you are surviving the cold weather, hope spring arrives soon for you... most of our snow has melted lately. I actually went out in the garden and pruned some plants just for the fun of it the other day, most of the beds still have snow in them, but one was clear!

I don't have time to tell the breastfeeding saga now, seems like a bad idea to write about it while at work, (don't want to get dooced) but I MUST tell you all about the ridiculous moments I have endured lately. I never thought the most significant disapproval of my breastfeeding career would take place at my chiropractors office!!! So crazy and I'm so leaving this job... 2 weeks more!

Love to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#78 of 176 Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Leigh - you USED to post. And whether you do or not, I just want you to know that I think about you and have told the story of Anna and "heeeeeey! buy dis? got dimes?" at least 100 times by now. And I want to know whether she's penned her first sonata yet.

Anna Banana - I continue to be every time I hear you say that you're experiencing disapproval of breastfeeding in a chiropractor's office! I remember once nursing T in the middle of him getting an adjustment and my chiro didn't bat an eyelash. She's also a doula, so hm, that might have something to do with it While I am sure that the money was helpful to the family coffers, I am also happy that you're leaving such a negative workplace!

Oh, and no, no frozen waffle cravings yet. Now and then in the evenings I have been experiencing some nausea and heartburn, but I can quell those fairly easily with some milk. I am trying SO hard to avoid sugar and refined grains and am eating differently in general this time. I've gotten into Traditional Foods more, so I'm drinking whole raw milk all the time, which is rich with enzymes that help with digestion; I've been pushing the proteins (handy to get preggo right before Easter, lots of boiled eggs hanging around!) and the fats. I am sure last time that I wasn't as into butter as I am now! Of course this may mean that I won't lose the weight in the first trimester that I lost last time, something that I was actually looking forward to - but I guess, at the same time, it is nicer to not feel SO sick. Plus I can look forward to it being spring sometime (eventually) and getting out more. I aspire to take T to preschool by bike since it's not so far away, only about 3 miles. That would be an excellent way to get moving! (And it probably won't put my back out again, either!)

We've decided to wait to tell T after I'm on the other side of the first trimester and not afraid of miscarriage. It's pretty handy, I guess, that he doesn't know the meaning of the word 'pregnant', because I'm sure he's heard it thrown around a few times recently. A friend of mine suggested, though, that he might unconsciously sense that something has changed or will happen, given that he has been up at 4 AM every night for the last 4-5 nights and has to come sleep wedged in between us in our bed. This morning he got up at some icky early dark hour and thrashed back and forth, needed a nappy change, needed a nose blow... and then when he dozed back off, Jo's alarm went off. Luckily, he stayed asleep. I slept on until 8, he slept until 9 (and went down for a nap at 2, so he's obviously tired). I feel for Jo, I am sure she is dragging herself through her day today AND she had her review at 8:30 this morning so I am sure she was looking and feeling her best.

Thanks for letting me babble. The Dec 08 DDC is boring as he** and I miss the Sept 04 DDC which was full of fun, chatty and lovable mamas. (And still is!)

xo j

#79 of 176 Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 AM

Hey all -

Anna - I'm furious on your behalf! That's ridiculous. I'd love to hear the details sometime - I'm sorry that a job you were looking forward to has turned out so badly.

Jen - did you try premisis (prenatal with high dose of B vitamins) or taking a vitamin B supplement with T's pregnancy? Morning sickness is supposedly related to low levels of vitamin B, so taking supp. B vits can help reduce it. My m/s with Robin wasn't as bad as your sounded (although I puked quite a bit), but with Eli I was worried about dealing with m/s and a toddler in China, so I got enough premisis to last through the first trimester - no m/s to speak of. A little queasiness, but no puking. It may have just been different pregnancies, but it may have been the B. My friend (NFPMom on MDC) has a phobia of vomiting and is a scientist, so she did the research when pg with her first child. And CNMs are recommending OTC sleeping pills for m/s also - apparently safe to take while pregnant and reduce m/s as a side effect.

Robin is fishing with Clint this weekend, so it's just me and ELi at home. I've gotta hit the hay - i always stay up to late when Clint is travelling. He got a job offer, BTW, with a company he worked for b/f we moved to CHina. It's a good offer, but a paycut and not as interesting as the job he's leaving. The pay difference would be fine this year b/c they are offering a signing bonus and he has his severance package. But next year, we wouldn't have those supplements, and it would be hard to make ends meet (although I should be making a bit more next year b/c I'm going from 2 day a week to 3 - but my income really only covers Robin's preschool and some groceries after I pay for care for Eli). He also heard that his current compnay may be hiring back 1-2 people who got laid off. It would be great if he were one of them - but also feels risky since the company just did layoffs. So we have to decide whether to take a job that pays less and isn't exciting, but offers security and a bit shorter commute, stay with the company that laid him off (if they offer it) or take a bit mroe time to find something else (although all the other leads he's found have been contract - so they would pay a bit more than he's making now, but with no benefits). arg.
#80 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 AM

Becca -- Funny that you just mentioned the B vitamin thing & morning sickness. I told my doctor that I have been feeling really awful -- queasy, bad indigestion, etc., and he said, "Oh, well I can give you a shot of B6. That always seems to help." And help it did! Even though it was a DAMN painful shot! But wow, what a difference!!! I feel so much better yesterday and today. before that I was not able to get off the couch in the evenings and I felt AWFUL. So, jen, look into that if you need to!

I think I found a midwife who we may have attend our birth. I'd keep seeing the doctor I'm seeing here, who is sort of supportive (although saw that I have a bicornuate uterus on an early ultrasound and then did not seem so supportive anymore...). But the midwife would come a week or so before my due date and stay with us (she's from another town, and homebirth vbacs are illegal here), and then hopefully we would just have the baby at home. If I needed to transfer I'd have the doc as a backup. I'm a little worried he'll try to insist on a c-section at 39 weeks or something, but on the other hand he has so far been really willing to work with my wishes, so I hope that continues. The whole thing is a bit intimidating and it's so easy to worry about it all. I just so believe that I can have this baby normally, and I can't imagine scheduling a c-section with no immediate medical reason to do so.

Ok, well you can tell what's on my mind!

#81 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am stupid.

Jo wants to take T to a baseball game this evening, free tickets for the home opener, and it starts at 6:05, so my task today was to get him to take a nap.

This kid doesn't nap anymore very much (now and then, if he's had a lousy night's sleep), so this is proving to be an effort in futility. The big problem is that (1) *I* need the nap, and (2) I told him he can't go to the baseball game if he hasn't had a nap. I figured this might be a very big motivator, because there are a lot of special things that go along with baseball games, including a lollipop on the train ride there and a hot dog during the game. (Go, nitrates. bleah) Well, I guess I figured totally incorrectly, because he is nowhere near sleeping. Usually I can rock him for a while and he dozes off in my arms, but today he was just one big wiggling worm, and I could actually feel (!!!) my uterus when he would sit on it. I tried to adjust him so that he wasn't putting weight on it but of course then he immediately said that HUUUUUUUUUURT! so we tried moving over to the bed and falling asleep there but that turned into "how much can I bug mom before she cracks?" - poking at my face, kicking me, covering my face with blankets. I did crack.

Being laden with hormones and sleep-deprived doesn't help.

And just now I went into the bedroom and found that he had shaken baby powder all over the place which means I'm going to have to change the g-d sheets before bed tonight because Jo will b* + moan otherwise.

Telling him that he can't go if he doesn't sleep was quite obviously the absolute dumbest thing I could ever have said to him because I more than want the two of them to go, I feel like I *need* them to go.

Shall we add insult to injury? It's supposed to snow 8 inches before this storm quits tomorrow.

Someone find me a rock to crawl under.

And I wanted TWO children?! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

#82 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Jen!

#83 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

Jen=
During the first trimester I was pregnant with Gingy (and Lulu was about 1 year old), I was a horrendous mother. I was SO tired. One day I volunteered to let my husband go away for a morning to the zendo (sunday morning). It meant four hours alone with Lulu (which I did every week day). But sunday was My rest day! Anyway.... my husband came home to find us both crying...I was so exhausted and frazzled. I had actually thrown a plastic toy across the room I had gotten so upset. We had both fallen apart after that...

chin up

liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#84 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 PM

hello just wanted to sub to the thread. I have two boys one is five born in 02 and the other is Jacob born in september of 04. would love to know other moms with children Jacobs age. Thanks

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#85 of 176 Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 PM

Krystal!

#86 of 176 Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Hi Krystal - welcome!! jump on in!

Jen - hugs! Yeah, we don't share with moms of 1 how terribly miserable it is to parent while pregnant. It spoils our recruiting plans to let the word out. Lemme just say that I regularly turned on the TV to PBS, put out a bowl of dry cereal and crawled back to bed during my pg with Eli. Not my proudest moments...but mama needed some s-l-e-e-p! (that was when clint was commuting m-f). I've found that using the words "You need to X if you want to Y" instead of "you have to X if you want to Y" gives me an out clause, and also reminds me to explain why it's important (not that reason works in every case, but it's a nice idea)

Gotta run - getting ready for parent-teacher conferences tomorrow night. My 6 students take a lot of time to prepare for!

RObin and Clint get back from their fishing trip tonight. They've been gone since Thursday, and I miss them so!
#87 of 176 Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM

Oh boy jen, I hear ya! My emotions are running rampant, too. And the nonstop winter just makes it worse...

Hi Krystal! Welcome and jump on in!

#88 of 176 Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Hey ya'll!!! You are keeping it happenin' around here! Congrats Jen! Ceci will pick some smilies for you now...

Becca; so sorry to hear about Clint's job! Bummer. I hope that it works out okay... although you two seem pretty resourceful.

Anna; nursing wha...?!! I hate stressful jobs. Not worth it! Tell us all!

Augs; congrats and you'll love three. It's got to be better than going from 1 to 2.

Snow- yep, we got it. 3 or 4 or 5 inches or something. Will spring never come?!! We took the one, and I mean only one, nice day we had to pick up sticks and dog doo from the yard. Carl is Mr. Explorer and I had to get it all cleaned up for him. Now we just need the snow to melt... again!

Well, Ceci has some sort of crazy virus going through her; so she's spent the morning napping on the couch. Carl woke at 9 and by 11:30 he wanted to go back to bed... so I'd better take advantage of this and get something done.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#89 of 176 Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 PM

I can't believe y'all are still dealing with snow. Here I am resenting having to wear long sleeves again. It was getting pretty and spring-like, but everytime I think I can put away the kids long sleeves, it cools off again. I know mid summer i'll be whining about the heat, but I am itching for spring.

I have to figure out preschool stuff for Robin, like, now. for next year I mean. Where I am, everything fills up by april. I have a spot for her at the school where I teach (which is a crunchy coop), but it's nearly twice the cost of the UU church preschool (also crunchy, it's called Atlanta Progressive preschool, but not coop - and that's where Eli is in PMO on the days I work). And the public pre-K is apparently great in my district (and free). And she likes her current school, and I like that they have heavy emphasis on music. Pretty much we're picking between my school (www.oakhurstcoop.com) and eli's school (www.atlantaprogressivepreschool.org) because we can't handle juggling 3 schools again. It just seems too early to be making these decisions. But when i tried to enroll her last summer, every program I was interested in was on waitlist only.
#90 of 176 Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Hang in there Jen! It does eventually get better, but first it gets alot worse... sorry. you will make it through this, don't beat yourself up to much. It sounds like T is really challenging right now, remember, It is just a phase, things WILL change. They always change.

gotta scoot...

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page