September '04 mamas seein' their shadows in Feb - 6 more weeks of winter! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 176 Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OOOOOOH big to Astrid, fits in really well with the other two Scandinavian names...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 176 Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Well, if you'd like to share in the joy of the experience, I'd be SO happy to package up my nausea and exhaustion and send it to you... if I only knew how!

... my midwife just dismisses it and says "oh, you'll do better the second time, everyone does." I'm glad that this time, I have a better idea of my resources for donated breast milk and I think this time I could actually avoid using formula, but not the SNS... *sigh*
Jen-
thanks for the update
I hear you about the exhaustion. When I was pregnant AND had a young child (lulu).... it was devestatingly exhausting. And there was a moment where i thought ... why, why, WHY did I do this?

For what it's worth, I found that Floradix was helpful. It gave me more energy and prevented anemia. It's an iron / b vit liguid made by a german company. I actually still take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post

But I did find out that it's probably a girl!! I'm so excited.

Well, I think that we're going across the bay today... I hope the weather is OK. It is still freezing here!!
Hi Augustine... that's so exciting about the girl!! It'll be specially nice for Anna. There's something really synergistic about the energy of two little girls!

I didn't realize that you were a double-c section person like me. Didn't it suck? I'm just starting to do some work w/ a healer/ energy person. She said the energy in that area is totally wonked out. She thinks that's why I've thrown out my back (in the lower lumbar spine) and have sciatic pain. The energy ain't flowing right down there.

I never have done energy/healer stuff. But I was desparate. And after i saw her, my pain was so much less, for almost a week. Plus, when someone is practically clairvoyant like this woman, you tend to become a believer. For example, she was able to "see" that my coxxyx was broken!

OK must run... "incoming" children... must hide.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#153 of 176 Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Starting next weekend I will be separated from my little boy for a whole WEEK. For the first time overnight, EVER.

He's going to TX with Jo to visit grandma who is having surgery.

My plans: sleep, relax, maybe knit, sleep more, catch up on laundry, sleep...

and miss my boy.

hm.

#154 of 176 Old 05-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Wow, Jen, I can't imagine.
you'll probably feel like you're missing a limb or something.
But ahhhhh... the sleep!
Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#155 of 176 Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 PM

I haven't been away from Robin for a whole week, but Clint has been taking her fishing and camping since she was around 18 months, and now she's up to 4-day trips. The first day is like blessed freedow, getting to be the boss of your own time, make decisions just based on what you want to do, etc. But after a day or so, I end up with all this free time - i can't even be productive b/c I feel like I have nothing to do (even if there's plenty I could be doing). It just feels too easy. Then by day 3, i miss her pretty bad. The good thing is that when she comes back, I feel refreshed and centered and really like I have a lot of good energy to give her.

Hi anna!!

Augs - congrats on a girl!! so exciting!
#156 of 176 Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillMtnMama View Post

I didn't realize that you were a double-c section person like me. Didn't it suck? I'm just starting to do some work w/ a healer/ energy person. She said the energy in that area is totally wonked out. She thinks that's why I've thrown out my back (in the lower lumbar spine) and have sciatic pain. The energy ain't flowing right down there.
So interesting... I didn't realize you'd had two either. I have also thrown out my lower back, and have had lots of SI joint pain. Last summer I had a ton of lower back/hip pain and finally went to a chiropracter here. She can totally adjust my pelvis back into place and it keeps me nearly pain-free. She said that my SI joints are funky and cause my pelvis to misalign frequently. She recommended doing lots of walking, stretching and strengthening of my lower back. If only I did all that as much as I should!!

I really want to try massage and scar work. There are other things I want to try too but the money issue always keeps me from doing as much of that as I would like to!

Yes, I am excited about another girl!! But yesterday Thor randomly said, "Mama, does Anna have a penis?" And I said, "No, she doesn't." And he said, "Well, I want to call Anna a boy. I want her to be a boy. So that I can have a brudda. And I also want the baby in your tummy to be a boy." OMG, I don't know why he said that! I didn't realize he was so tuned into gender and that he had a preference. He actually said a few other times that day that he wanted brothers!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#157 of 176 Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I really want to try massage and scar work. There are other things I want to try too but the money issue always keeps me from doing as much of that as I would like to!
What does that mean, scar work??? On the external scar? does it hurt??

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#158 of 176 Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 AM

I guess I mean scar work as in massage and focusing on the area of the scar. I have heard a friend who's a massage therapist talk about it. She called it specifically "scar work" and she said that it can help to break up adhesions and to bring more feeling and blood flow to the area. She also said it can be emotionally healing. She has worked on women who have had cesareans before. I don't know that much about it... I'll ask her more. I have heard that it can kind of hurt.

#159 of 176 Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Yeah, that area around the scar is totally numb! Like within an inch of the scar. I guess it's better than it being painful!

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#160 of 176 Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Liz, since you're living vicariously through the preggo women here, I'll let you know I heard the heartbeat yesterday.

And that's what I frankly hate about my new "DDC" - there are so many women, and no one is having a conversation about ANYTHING, that no one gives a rat's patootie about anyone else's small happy milestones. I suppose that I could start a new thread saying "I heard my baby's heartbeat!" and 40 women would say "hooray!" but it feels so meaningless because I don't know any of these mamas personally!

hrmph :

#161 of 176 Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Jen, that's fantabulous!!! : :

I remember hearing DD's for the first time (and the second and the third....).

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#162 of 176 Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:

And that's what I frankly hate about my new "DDC" - there are so many women, and no one is having a conversation about ANYTHING, that no one gives a rat's patootie about anyone else's small happy milestones. I suppose that I could start a new thread saying "I heard my baby's heartbeat!" and 40 women would say "hooray!" but it feels so meaningless because I don't know any of these mamas personally!

hrmph :
That was totally my experience!! They didn't get that we were supposed to talk to each other. Like I let them know about Greg and I didn't even get a 'whoa, that's rough!' Whateva. We love you Jen!!

Wow, Augs- girl!!! And good for you on the move. I don't think I could do AK anymore... maybe someday! I like Astrid for a name.

Stacy- whoot!! A new baby again. You are my hero 'cause I so want another but I am loving the freedom right now. Except I am totally too lazy to nightwean Carl and get him out of my bed and I need to- he's a terrible co-sleeper; a sizeways kicker. Ceci has not approached our bed in MONTHS. She likes her covers and her space in a very specific way, so she doesn't want to be in our bed. You go big girl!

WOW LAW SCHOOL! You'll be great Becca. So proud of you.

Heather!! I have an awesome stash now and I am ALMOST immune to FSOT. Love how friendly everyone is at TBW though. I posted pics of me mowing the lawn with carl in my back and didn't get one 'wow that could be dangerous' or other snarky thing.

Okay, I have a small brag... We bought a Honda!! Odyssey 2004, LOADED! It was SO hard to stay away from 3rd row SUV's or just a plain ole Suburban- vans are NOT sexy. But we got a great deal and it's leather and my carseats match! It's beautiful and the kids love it.

I'm at work, gotta go!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#163 of 176 Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Meg - we got a 2004 Toyota Sienna last summer, and it has been a delight. I was also a bit sad about the thoroughly un-sexy car. I kept humming that song "goobye Twenties, hello minivan" http://www.hometownnews.info/?id=442...7&album_id=591
Now i'm trying to convert to bike. I'm trying to buy a bike and trailer, and run most of my errands and to/from work and school that way (well, for school I'd have to bike to the train). Everything we do on a daily basis is withing 2-5 miles, so I think it's very feasible. It's all walkable, actually, but htat takes so long. Then Clint can take my minivan to work. He has 3 cars, and they are ALL gas guzzlers. His "daily driver" is the 1990 suburban - I think it gets around 10 mpg, which sucks. His truck gets better mileage, but it's a diesel. So if I can bike and let him take my car even 3-4 times a week, i think it woud make a big difference.

Jen - Hooray for a heartbeat!! Very exciting news. I get it about the DDC. Mine was slow to warm up but got pretty okay - but now that the babies are one, it's totally petered out. I got spoiled by this group!
#164 of 176 Old 05-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Jen YAY!!! How exciting -- I love that first heartbeat... a little anticipation to find it, then woo hoo!

Megan, I am so jealous of your car. I don't know how we'll do 3 carseats in the back yet, though Thor will definitely be in a small booster I think. But I so want an Odyssey.

Going to visit Seattle for two weeks in mid-june, super excited. Also super excited about most likely moving back in late August. We're looking at renting on South Whidbey Island...

#165 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 AM

Augs - I'm super excited that you are super excited! That sounds good!

So Robin says to me today (I think we had talked about that I was older, a grown up), "I'll die when you die." Me: "what do you mean?" her: "I'll die with you, we'll die together." Me: "Why do you think that would be good?" Her: "so we can do things together. After." me: "After we die? We can do things together after we die?" Her: "yes." me: "well honey, I think we both have a long time to live before we die. Hopefully we have long lives in front of us." then she moved on to her great-grandfather, who is very old (her great-grandmother, my grandma, just died a few weeks ago).

What a bizzarre convo for her to bring up! It's not the first time she's mentioned an afterlife, something we've never talked about with her (we've had a lot of deaths in her life, I want her to understand the concreteness of death before we get into afterlife possibilities). I don't know if she's getting it from other sources (her preschool this year is presbyterian, but not super religious, although she did pick up the notion at easter that "jesus died - that's bad" - and my mom bought her a toddler bible that she reads on the toilet) or if she just has some insight I lack...

Robin is also obsessed with dress up these days. I was thinking about checking out a Fancy Nancy book - anyone read these? I've sucessfully avoided all the Disney Princess crap, but I don't want to replace it with something just as commercial. Her dress-up stash at the moment includes some wooden magic wands, silks we dyed together, ballet tutus and leotards, and some crowns and jewelry from yard sales - nothing too fancy, but all well loved.
#166 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Megan, I am so jealous of your car. I don't know how we'll do 3 carseats in the back yet, though Thor will definitely be in a small booster I think. But I so want an Odyssey.

Going to visit Seattle for two weeks in mid-june, super excited. Also super excited about most likely moving back in late August. We're looking at renting on South Whidbey Island...
Oh good for you Ashley! Things will be looking up.

The minivan is giant. But comfy. But don't be jealous!!! SO un-sexy. Although it does have enough room for sex in the back, I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
Robin is also obsessed with dress up these days. I was thinking about checking out a Fancy Nancy book - anyone read these? I've sucessfully avoided all the Disney Princess crap, but I don't want to replace it with something just as commercial. Her dress-up stash at the moment includes some wooden magic wands, silks we dyed together, ballet tutus and leotards, and some crowns and jewelry from yard sales - nothing too fancy, but all well loved.

Ceci dresses up every day. Just some old crazy stuff that people have given her. I'm sure she'd love more and I might even consider purchasing it, but the stuff is so CHEAP and crappy. So she gets the campy dresses my gf's mil makes for her dd. Works! Her fave skirt is a long PINK silky one that someone made... it would be super easy to run up on the sewing machine. I think she likes the texture.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#167 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM

If I were made of money, Robin would so love some bold mary stuff: http://www.boldmary.com/601.html
I guess I should sew her some....
#168 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
SO un-sexy. Although it does have enough room for sex in the back, I noticed.
Hey, if that ain't sexy I don't know what is! Just paint some desert sunset scene on the side or something, and tint the windows...

#169 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hearing a boom-chicka-wow soundtrack in the background, here.

Just overcome by large wave of tiredness, and - gasp - am able to indulge it! going to go lay down now...

#170 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Oh Liz, since you're living vicariously through the preggo women here, I'll let you know I heard the heartbeat yesterday.

:t humb

jen--- isn't it great ... that galloping across the prairie sound!!

thanks for sharing.....

we babysat a little girl Lily (aged one) for eight hours (first six great, last two a small challenge) ... and me and my dh had the virtual experience of having another child.

I thought.... we can handle this. And it is easier than two... they sort of form a little self-sustaining crowd, and no one child expects much from the parents ...because clearly they are out-numbered!

We are not thinking of having more .. but it is nice to realize if an accident happens... we can handle it. Or at least for eight hours!

btw, just saw Juno. I cried .... during the ultrasound and the birth.... beautiful film.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#171 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillMtnMama View Post
btw, just saw Juno. I cried .... during the ultrasound and the birth.... beautiful film.
I bawled throughout the whole movie pretty much! But I loved it nonetheless!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#172 of 176 Old 05-28-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
. Seriously, I'm worried already about milk supply for #2, because while everyone in my DDC is complaining about unbearably painful breasts that are turning into melons, mine are just the same old, same old... a little sore, but no growth... my midwife just dismisses it and says "oh, you'll do better the second time, everyone does." I'm glad that this time, I have a better idea of my resources for donated breast milk and I think this time I could actually avoid using formula, but not the SNS... *sigh*
If it makes you feel any better, I had serious supply issues with dd, but this time around, PLENTY of milk. i actually had a few bouts of engorgement at the beginning this time!! YIKES. And i did not have ANY signs during preganncy...no swelling boobs or whatever..it just all came in after the birth. No supplementing, SNS or anything for me this time!!! there is HOPE!

CPST
#173 of 176 Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Jess, this is me hoping that what happened to you happens to me -> :

Seriously, I actually stand in the shower, look down and talk to my breasts and beg them to work this time. Luckily my DW doesn't think this is strange (she echoes my sentiments - would love NOTHING more than to never, ever have to boil water for making formula again !).

They have been more sore this time and they ache from time to time - I'm hoping that's good -

I had an interesting situation watching Juno - I went with my friend who is an adoptive parent to a lovely little girl whom they brought home 2 months after T was born. She watched the movie more from the angle of the adoptive parents and she loved the film, too - said that they absolutely NAILED many of the quirks of being an adoptive family, down to the straightening of the towels before the home visit. We both loved the film.

I went this evening to our favorite pub and had fish and chips and had the CUTEST waiter *swoon* I gave him a big tip - he was very attentive and chatty and would have been content to keep refilling my iced tea all night while I sat reading my New Yorker...

(Now don't go that I'm swooning at a boy waiter... I have nothing against boys. Just like I have nothing against girls. )

#174 of 176 Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 AM

So much is going on and there is never enough time. My grandma died, my friend's son (2 y/o) has leukemia, my close friend had a baby (lovely home birth), Eli had a febrile seizure (so scary, but so okay) . . . I feel fried, but okay and ready to help out my friends.

I have read all the posts and am glad for everyone for all the good news.

About Odyssey's, they are only as sexy as their drivers and we ALL rate here on this list! Mine starts every time and fits all my babes. NOthing could be sexier than that.

About hemorhoids, put this in the category of bizarre, but true. One of my close friends owns a health food store and has trained with midwives and is a certified nutritionist. When I was pregnant, she told me about a trick she had learned. Potato. Yup. . . .That simple, and yet so difficult. Make a small slice of potato and slip it in before bed. By morning, your roids will be history. I have to admit, I tried it and it works.

Here's to the health of all our babes and to the loving environment we create for them!!!

K
#175 of 176 Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Jess, this is me hoping that what happened to you happens to me -> :

Seriously, I actually stand in the shower, look down and talk to my breasts and beg them to work this time. Luckily my DW doesn't think this is strange (she echoes my sentiments - would love NOTHING more than to never, ever have to boil water for making formula again !).

)
I have PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue. seriously huge, stupid 44 J boobs that are almost worthless. LOL. but this time..the milk was just there.
However, I did have a much better plan going into it. I was armed with a step by step plan for what I would do if the milk wasn't there, and this helped me relax and feel a lot better. but then..i'm a geek. LOL. We got off to another really bad start (apparently, I onyl give birth to babies who WILL NOT EAT), but that was the only challenge. From last time, with a similar situation, we theorized that dd not eating those first couple days did not give my body trhe right signals to make milk....so when ds also refused to eat the first day...the second day....I was pumping to help the milk know to come in...finally, we resorted to bottle feeding (pumped milk) so ds wouldnt die (he got down to 5 pounds..we HAD to feed him, and cup feeding, spoon feeding, nursing, syringe, etc was not working, he just sputtered and choked on it until he was so weak he couldnt wake up...) and it took ds a day on the bottle to learn how to suck, and to gain energy, and then he transitioned to the breast seamlessly, no nipple sheild or anything!
it was awesome.

CPST
#176 of 176 Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I created a new thread for summer.

And I have posted a big, weepy, probably-having-a-lot-to-do-with-hormones sob story about my son there. Wow, if that doesn't scare you off, I don't know what will.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page