Am I being TOTLLY unrealistic with my 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please be honest with me!

I expect, or want to expect him to:

Pick up some of his toys, at least SOME of them, when I ask.
Sit with us at dinner, even if he isn't hungry, so we can get the kids used to being a family at dinner time.
Let his poor dad go to the bathroom in peace.
At least taste what we are having for dinner, at least once.
Play in the other room when his baby sister (11 mo) won't leave him alone.
SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

He is 3 years and 3 months. I am sure there are more, I'll probably think of them as I'm reading the responses...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post

Sit with us at dinner, even if he isn't hungry, so we can get the kids used to being a family at dinner time.
SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

He is 3 years and 3 months. I am sure there are more, I'll probably think of them as I'm reading the responses...
You might have more luck making it into a game and/or picking up with him.

I don't know about the dinner part. I completely screwed that up with my first two.

You may have to actively distract him so that dad can go to the bathroom in peace.

I completely screwed up the food thing and have no good advice.

Again it will probably take a lot of facilitation to get them to play separately.

What do you mean by "sleep through the night"?

Sorry I'm not being very helpful. I do hear your frustration. I remember feeling like my oldest (mine about about the same age spacing) "should" have been doing so much more at various points in time and then when my youngest got there, he just seemed so little! (These days, I'm probably expecting more out of him because they both seem like such big kids.)
#3 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sparklefairy! I'm sure you didn't "screw up" your kids when it comes to dinner and food... I think they just have opinions and some are better eaters (and better at transitions) than others...

DS was, at one point, going to bed and not needing help til morning, but now, he wakes up yelling for his dad every night and doesn't seem to need anything, just wants to see his dad... why can't he sleep like he used to? He was always a terrible sleeper and he's only had about 6-8 months of his life where he actually slept without needing us. I am totally burned out on the sleep stuff because DD is a terrible sleeper too and is getting a new tooth right now. She has also decided it is more fun to try to play at 11 pm instead of sleep so after going to bed for the night she wakes up just as I'm going down. I swear they are trying to kill me.
#4 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM

Maybe a little... Personal experience (and an out-of-date degree in developmental psych) suggests some thoughts and observations:

* "Pick up your toys" is generally too abstract for most preschool age kids. I'm much more successful with "Please put the books on the shelf. Great. Now, please put the blocks in the bin." and so forth. Racing the clock (or each other), singing songs, and other games around cleaning help too. Key is that I am involved, not just giving a direction and walking away.

* Dinner -- we've always asked our kids to come to the table, participate in saying grace. And then if they aren't hungry they can leave, or they leave when they are done eating. We've done this since they were infants and its worked pretty well. Asking a child to sit quietly through an adult-length dinner is probably unrealistic. And they won't sit quietly if the adults aren't interacting with them. As for tasting things, that topic causes hot debate around here. Personally, I know there are some things that I don't want to taste -- I don't like the smell or the visual texture. So I figure that my kids have the same taste mechanisms that I do and thus the same "right" to dislike the sight or smell of something and not want to taste. I honor that and am unwilling to "force" them to taste anything. Of course, my response is probably colored by the fact that my parents literally forced us to eat things.

* Play alone? Depends on the kid. One of mine will (and would at that age), one won't.

* Bathroom. Hm, my personal response is that bathroom doors have locks for a reason. After the kids were past the "can't take my eyes off of them or they will get into something they shouldn't" stage, I started going in to the bathroom and closing the door. At 3, both kids would leave me alone. At 2 and a bit, one of mine would hammer at the door and one was happy to let me be.

* Sleep through the night. Again, depends alot on the kid. I don't think either of mine would go to sleep and sleep through the night without interaction with us at that point. We solved this with a hybrid of independent and co-sleeping. Everyone starts the night in their own beds (with books and cuddles until they are asleep), then can move into our bed if/when they need to at night. Generally my 5 YO still moves into our bed between 2 and 4 AM, but my 8 YO rarely if ever comes in during the night. But, I never wake up when they do, so I don't care.

But, like everything else in parenting, "actual results may vary". Your kids, your family, your routines, your values etc. may be different and may take a different approach from any of us here. That's what makes it so gosh-darn hard!!!
#5 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 05:43 PM

I have a 3.75 yo. Of course these are just IMO:

-I think kids this age need help picking up. It helps to be specific "put the train track in the bin while I put away the trains." I also sometimes offer a carrot "when the floor is clear, we can run the Roomba!" Also, when he does cooperate, I point out how much faster it goes when two people work together (he's starting to get that just now).

-We have family dinners. My kids are expected to come to the table, but can ask to be excused when they're done. If adults are lingering, I don't think it's reasonable to make the kids wait (I know not everyone agrees with me on this one).

-Do you talk about how some people want privacy in the bathroom? I always ask my ds if he wants company or privacy. He gets it now if I ask for privacy.

-I don't force tasting. I notice that my 3 yo will "sneak" bites of new things when I'm not paying attention to him. I think about how I would not like to be handed something new and strange to eat and have someone watching closely while I tried it. Or how I feel when someone insists I try something I KNOW I don't like.

-with baby, I guess I feel it's my responsibility to distract the baby, not his responsibility to move. Though I DO talk to him about possible solutions (build the baby his own train track, get up and move, offer a trade, wait until nap time to build high towers of blocks, etc).

-Alas, my 3 yo also does not sleep through the night. I ask him why and he says, "I wake up and just really miss my mom." So I try to take it as a complement, though it's VERY, VERY hard having two waking up every night.

zzzzz
#6 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM

DD is about the same age as your DS.

We expect her to pick up her toys. After telling her many many times and doing it many many ways (fun, games, beat the clock, etc) she knows (with a reminder, usually) that before you take out more toys, you have to put the old ones away or they will get lost and/or broken.

We do expect her to sit with us at dinner for about 10-15 minutes. She doesn't have to eat anything or try anything. We don't even talk about it. She loves to serve herself, so she puts the food she wants on her plate. (This is a bit of a problem because she always takes way too much, but we're working on it.)

I would tell your DP to lock the bathroom door!

I would not expect him to try something he doesn't want to try. And if he's anything like my DD, if you suggest it, there is no way he'll try it.

DD does play on her own pretty frequently, but she has a very independent spirit.

DD has only slept through the night about three times in her entire life. I really really want her to, but have no idea how to make it happen.
#7 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

Honest hat on from another (often frustrated) mom of a 3yr old

Pick up toys- sure! sometimes... and sometimes not so much...

sit at dinner- hit and miss. and limited time- how long is dinner? If I make it *important* I can usually get 10-15 minutes. She CAN do longer (does fine at restaurants as a rule...) but just doesn't always happen.

Bathroom in peace? dream on... Hey, I can't why should dad get to

taste dinner- don't push your luck. Sometimes! Sure! Always? Not worth the fight. If dd decides it's not going in her mouth IT'S NOT GOING IN HER MOUTH....

Play in the other room- SURE! When there's a reason to? Eh... not so much... I can see where he could feel banished there...

Sleep through the night- hit and miss here. I think we're good to go and on track for that... then we have a run of waking up every night for a week

good luck and lots of sympathy!

-Angela
#8 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM

*Pick up some of his toys -- I agree that picking up toys is too abstract. Someone posted in another thread (sorry I have no idea who or what thread) to take pictures of how you want the toys to look and hang them up. I have yet to get this done but do plan on doing it. Again, being specific helps. "Put the puzzle together and put it on the shelf."

*Sit with us at dinner -- Might be a bit tough at this age but you could start small. Serve them at the table. Ask that they sit until they are done. Then slowly try extending how long they sit. Working to include them in a discussion might help. It could be his special time to tell Daddy what he did that day.

*Let his poor dad go to the bathroom in peace. -- When I feel like I need to be alone, I tell J that I am going to potty by myself, and then I lock the door.

*At least taste what we are having for dinner, at least once. -- I ask J to try some of everything. Most of the time she says okay and sometimes she doesn't. I try to respect her decision either way. Keep asking him. He may surprise you one time and try everything.

*Play in the other room . -- I totally understand this one. A month or so ago I cleaned out half of a walk in closet and made it a special place for J. If K is bothering J, then I tell her to play in her closet. It has a special chair for her and all the toys that K is not allowed to play with. It has worked really well for us.

*SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT! -- This is a tough one. J has her bed right next to ours. She falls asleep in our bed next to K. When I go to bed I move her to her bed. Sometime during the night she climbs over my dh and snuggles in with me. Sometimes it is 1 in the morning and other times she makes it until 5.
Good luck, these are some tough questions.
#9 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Honest hat on from another (often frustrated) mom of a 3yr old

Pick up toys- sure! sometimes... and sometimes not so much...

sit at dinner- hit and miss. and limited time- how long is dinner? If I make it *important* I can usually get 10-15 minutes. She CAN do longer (does fine at restaurants as a rule...) but just doesn't always happen.

Bathroom in peace? dream on... Hey, I can't why should dad get to

taste dinner- don't push your luck. Sometimes! Sure! Always? Not worth the fight. If dd decides it's not going in her mouth IT'S NOT GOING IN HER MOUTH....

Play in the other room- SURE! When there's a reason to? Eh... not so much... I can see where he could feel banished there...

Sleep through the night- hit and miss here. I think we're good to go and on track for that... then we have a run of waking up every night for a week

good luck and lots of sympathy!

-Angela
: almost word for word substituting she for he, since I have a boy but what she said applies to my ds. He will be 3y 4m the 18th.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Mine is a pretty mature 3 yr and 10 months old and with the exception of sleeping through the night (he goes to sleep in his own bed then wakes up and cries for papa to come and sleep with him for the rest of the night around midnight - this seems completely reasonable to me) I do "expect" the rest of the things on your list from him. Notice the quotation marks?

I just mean that those are all things I feel comfortable encouraging in him, but not things I feel justified in heavily pressuring him to do - does that make sense? I mean that there is no forcing or ultimatums surrounding those things, but I will repeatedly request him to do those things. He can certainly choose not to try dinner, but I feel ok telling him *every* night that that is a good, sensible, and valuable thing to do - with the expectation that he eventually will at least try everything in front of him. Might not happen for another year , but I trust it will. Same with all the other things on your list.

eta: on the picking up toys - we always do it together. I expect him to help me, but we haven't gotten to the doing it on his own stage.
#11 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 PM

DS is 3 y 1m

[QUOTE]
Quote:

DS will pick up his toys if i start or do it with him. he might or might not pick them up completely on his own. his sister at that age would not.

Quote:
we don't force that one. what's the point of forced family time at dinner? i think when he is old enough to participate in conversations, he will enjoy the "family time." i don't think it is a matter of habit.

Quote:
DS would leave me if i ask him. DD at this age would not have. she'd be freaked out. it was more peaceful to have her in the bathroom, both with me or DH.

Quote:
i don't expect this one. i HATE when people ask me to try something that they are eating, no matter how delicious it is, no matter how great smelling or looking. sometimes i'm just not in the mood! so i don't want to do the same to DS.

Quote:
DS would do this, but again, his sister at this age would not.

Quote:
SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!
DS sleeps through most of the time. DD started sleeping through the night less than a year ago, and she is still a very light sleeper.

basically, so much depends on each child. i'm not "expecting" the above from DS, as his sister wasn't "there" just yet, at this age. but he is much more easy going, so when he co-operates, i see it as a bonus, and when she doesn't, i see it as a fact of life and don't sweat over it. !

#12 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Our kids are the same age and I have the same expectations. Except I'd like to go potty alone. She always leaves dh alone.

Mama of three.

#13 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:

SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

I think those are all reasonable to expect from a three year old. Most of the items in your list are only asking to modify behaviors.

Should you expect him to clean the room the level that you would? No. Should he be able to put some toys away in a box when you ask? Yes.
Should you expect him to like and eat everything he is fed? No.
Should he try new foods and sit at the table until he is excused? Yes.

The sleep through the night thing may be tough as that is not really an act of disobedience. Not that you can't work towards that, but you can't just really expect that to happen.
#14 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your responses! I'll clarify a few things.

The picking up toys: I DEFINITELY don't expect a spotless room. I would like to not trip and step on things like small toy cars in my bare feet (OUCH!). If he dumps out a box, he can put things back into it, IMO.

Dinner time is very short at our house. 15 minutes maybe. Actually DS is often the LAST person done eating. And I thought I was slow! We don't have lengthy adult conversation. In fact, we rarely have adult conversation at our house for any length of time! The dinner thing is REALLY important to DH, alot moreso than me.

I think the expectation of wanting him to taste a tiny bite of something is fine. I'm not asking him to try weird foods that he's never had, I mean really basic things that are familiar.

I am also trying to make his room a sanctuary away from the baby who is a new walker. He has his trains and tracks and other "special" things in there.

The sleep thing has always been a battle. He has always been a terrible sleeper and slept well for maybe 6-8 months and now he's back to waking at night again. I can't believe this sleep deprivation **** is actually going to end someday. And no, I will not miss these days. Not for a second!
#15 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM

A couple of thoughts on the below:

Quote:
I think the expectation of wanting him to taste a tiny bite of something is fine. I'm not asking him to try weird foods that he's never had, I mean really basic things that are familiar.

I am also trying to make his room a sanctuary away from the baby who is a new walker. He has his trains and tracks and other "special" things in there.
First- the bites... I really wouldn't push too hard with this. But I have a kid who's odd about food. And I was odd about food (didn't mind weird tastes, but I had and still have SERIOUS issues with some textures) I really really truly hated and resented the take one bite thing. At only 3 I'd encourage, but then back off if it doesn't fly. Instead I'd work with things like letting him help cook and other things to encourage trying the new stuff.

I also really had a thing about being "alone" at times. Even if I wasn't FAR from everyone else, I would seriously get creeped out if I was alone at times. I think in this case I'd phrase it as choices- you're welcome to stay here, but that toy isn't safe for baby (or baby could ruin that toy) so you need to (or might want to depending) put it in your room so it's safe.

good luck! I'm finding 3 to be MUCH more challenging than 2 in many ways.

-Angela
#16 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM

The No Cry Discipline Solution by Elizabeth Pantly is saving my mind in these three year old years!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#17 of 35 Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Rarely will my 3 year old do much if anything if I say pick up in a general way. If I am helping or very specefic it is usually not a problem.

I don't think it is unrealistic to expect your child to be at the table at dinner time. It will take some work to establish this habit and if they're not eating you'll probably want to let them go play before everyone else is completely done.

I don't get to go to the bathroom in peace.

I try to insist on trying one bite of everything but try to be easy going about food. The key in this is not allowing other stuff if dinner isn't eaten which often means saving uneaten dinner till the little one is ready to eat.

I think sleeping just varies so much by child. Our current 3 year old has always slept very well. DD who is now 2 1/2 I highly doubt will be that great of a sleeper even at 3.

Things will get easier or at least different with time.

Quote:

SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

#18 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
mine does not, ESPECIALLY if i use the words "clean up". i have learned from another thread here that it's too early to expect them to clean up after themselves. now i just do what some of the others have suggested - give a very specific instruction. about 50% of the time, she complies.

not an issue here, my dd loves eating and will sit for a long time.

DH doesn't mind that she comes to the bathroom with him, but if he did i would encourage him to tell her he needs privacy, then lock the door. if she gets upset and bangs on it, i would help her get through it.

this one's tough, because i understand where you're coming from. i watched a program about how children can learn to like foods, by tasting them several times over a period of time. in the show, a child that hated avocados actually got to the point of liking them after tasting them just once every day for two weeks. what i do is strongly encourage her to take just one bite, and gauge her reaction. sometimes she will do it, sometimes not. i don't push it beyond that.

SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!
no siblings here.

i encourage you to lower or drop your expectations wherever you can, though. once i let go of mine, i felt all my anger about it just drain away, and i was able to be so much more patient.
#19 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 AM

I have a 2.5 and a 3.75 yo. They both pick up toys before bedtime. We make it a race - although they don't actually win anything, and everybody helps.

Sitting with us at dinner. Sometimes, we eat dinner while we watch a movie together in the living room. Then, they are free to roam around and do whatever as long as they come back for bites every now and then. When we are sitting at the table together, we ALL sit there together. They are both VERY verbal, and we have some of our sweetest, cutest conversations at the dinner table. At dinner, I always make one thing that I know they love. Then I will make something else that they may not be crazy about, but if they have never tried it before, I do ask them to take one bite when they are ready to do so. If we have had it before and they said they did not like it, I just put a tiny bit on the plate in case they want to try again, but they don't have to eat it.

The bathroom - my dd will NOT go to the bathroom by herself, thus I am not allowed to go by myself. If I close the door, she stands outside and scratches like some sort of burrowing animal. But my ds (the older) lets me go in peace.

Neither of them are great at playing alone, but me dd (the 2.5 yo) is much better at playing by herself then my ds (3.5 yo)

Sleeping thru the night - I can commiserate. I am a bit of an insomniac anyway, and it never fails -- when I FINALLY go to sleep, one of them wakes me up about 5 minutes later. DS sleeps very well and for a good length of time if he doesn't have a nightmare, which has been happening more and more frequently lately. DD is up and down all night, but usually doesn't wake me up. She gets up and plays for a while, then gets back in her bed and goes to sleep. She's kooky! HaHa! But I know if she wakes me up, she really needs something.
#20 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM

The not leaving dad alone in the bathroom and waking at night for dad...maybe he is craving a bit more daddy time? Is there any way your DH could spend a little more one on one time with him? Maybe go in his room with him after work and play trains/read books/play cars/whatever for 15-20 minutes? DS is 5, but even at 3, he would get like that if he was just craving a bit more attention from one of his parents, and just a few minutes could make a big difference.

The baby sister at that age is tough too, because she is just big enough to be interested and want to play along, but does not understand that she is wrecking things when knocking over train layouts, etc. For us, the "babyzilla" phase got better when she got to be about 18 months, and now they play together awesome (2.75 years apart), so there is hope there too! I had to do a lot of redirecting with her at that age, or just suggest something different for him. One thing that worked well for us if she was REALLY bothering his stuff was to have him do something at the kitchen table so she could not reach, like drawing, or puzzles or playdoh or whatever.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#21 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM

well, all kids do things at diffferent ages...but based on my kids yes, I do think you're being unrealistic.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#22 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 PM

When you have a 3 year old and a baby, the 3 year old seems so grown up compared. But they're not.

I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old.

Unrealistic for 3 year olds (except my 3 year old is an obsessive cleaner and organizer by nature).

Most of it by 7....

I don't actually know if I will ever go to the bathroom by myself again. (Although the 7 year old insists on going by herself, while the 3 year old waits in the hall with baited breath to resume play.)
#23 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocita View Post
i encourage you to lower or drop your expectations wherever you can, though. once i let go of mine, i felt all my anger about it just drain away, and i was able to be so much more patient.
Very, very good advice.

If I feel the need for something specific to be done, I use the phrase "Let's" a lot. As in, "Hey, Let's pick up the toys so we can take a bath!" I avoid saying (but sometimes slip into it), "You need to pick up your toys now or else you can't take a bath." At my DS's age (3 years 4 months) he sometimes can pick up on his own, but generally needs a lot of direction and example. He's happy to participate in things, I just need to show him how to do it a lot of times. It helps a lot to phrase things in a positive, communal way.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#24 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM

I think those are all reasonable, or they were for my daughter at that age.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#25 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!
I don't know about unrealistic, but my 5 year old does not reliably do any of those things.
#26 of 35 Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:

SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!

When directed, my dd can and will pick up her own toys. But I give specifics, like "please finish the puzzle and then put it away," or now its time to put A, B and C away.

She sits down to dinner with us but doesn't always eat. Lately she has been taking to watercolor painting while we eat but hey, at least she is at the table with us and talking with us.

Let Dad go to the bathroom??? What about mom? LOL

SHe eats better than my older kids so no suggestions here.

Loves to play alone in her room with play kitchen or to dress/undress baby dolls

Sleeps through the night only if she is sleeping with me. She may fall asleep on coach and I"ll put her in own bed but she will wake up during the night and come in with me. If I know I want a full, uninterrupted night sleep, I just start her off in bed with me.

I've cetainly learned this time around not to sweat the small stuff like, dinner time and bedtime. Hey, my older kids just love to sit around the dinner table and talk it up. DD2 will just learn by example.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#27 of 35 Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM

Happy for this thread, tonight, mamas. We've been going through some typical 3 year old stuff with our youngest (he is actually 3 1/2). And I've purposely ignored this forum for a looooong time b/c, well, sometimes when we're in the thick of things over here we just tend to keep our heads down and keep going.

Here it goes:
Our little guy seldom sits for longer than 5 minutes at the dinner table. And we sit down together every night for a family dinner. This makes us CRAZY. My Dh comes from a family where they sat down every single night no matter what. So the fact that dinner is often chaos makes him nuts. Our little one has taken to trying to sit on the table throughout dinner. Some nights he won't touch his dinner AT ALL. Nothing. We don't expect either of our children to sit for very long if they're antsy or if we want to linger at the table for 5 extra minutes.

Our little one is okay at picking things up here and there, but we have to make it a HUGE deal. And he doesn't quite sleep through the night. Both of our kids slept with us from day one and now they share bunk beds in one room. The little one always comes in every single night to our bed-usually by 2am, sometimes later, sometimes earlier.

Oh, and he doesn't use the potty yet. We thought we were getting somewhere at one point, but it's completely hit or miss. No pun intended.
Our guy is moody, loud, whiney, screechy, extremely physical. And generally a PITB right now. Okay, I said it. It sounds awful. My DH reminded me that at this same age with our older son, it was reallly rough. But his issues were just *different*. Can't explain it. Man.

Thanks for letting me share, mamas.
#28 of 35 Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Bearsmama Maybe we should get our 3 year olds together to play!! Sorry you're having a rough time too. I think that sometimes we forget that he is still too little to understand much, and we get frustrated because he doesn't. I think, now, that we need to be more clear about things, but lower our expectations and stop trying to explain stuff! He'll get it, but he's too little to get it right now.
#29 of 35 Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Alrighty, I'm biting, because I feel the need for some commisseration right now.
Firstly, my DS is 3.75 years old. Secondly, I think it varies from child to child (and reading everyone else's responses here, I am even MORE aware of that right now! So thanks. )

Here we go:
*Pick up some of his toys, at least SOME of them, when I ask.
I usually can get him to pick up his toys if I ask, but I have to be specific: "Hey, let's get these animals back into the bin so you have more room to play with your blocks/cars/dollhouse" He'll DEFINITELY do it WITH me...most of the time.

*Sit with us at dinner, even if he isn't hungry, so we can get the kids used to being a family at dinner time.
This one is a bit iffier, because we don't always sit together during the week. *sigh* I work three days a week and so I'm not even home at dinner time M-W-F, so it's just DH and DS eating together then...and I think they sit at DS's little table at dinnertime.
When I AM home and we manage to sit together, getting DS to do it isn't too hard. He sits with us, and he's usually done before we are, and so we wipe him up and continue eating/talking while he plays around us. We don't do grace though I think I want to...just haven't figured out what to say. We're UU/Pagan. Heh. My kid's ALWAYS hungry, so there's no problem there.

*Let his poor dad go to the bathroom in peace.
Didn't someone already say "hey, if I can't do that, why should DH?" I was like, "YES! Exactly!" *giggle* Seriously though, I try to give DH a couple minutes to get in the door from work, put his stuff down, and pee, before setting DS loose on him. Doesn't always work, but hey, it's all good.

*At least taste what we are having for dinner, at least once.
This is also a variable in our house. DS can sometimes be encouraged to try something, for instance, I made tri-color pasta one night and he freaked out because some of them were green. Hah. I told him to take a bite of the white pasta, then close his eyes and taste the green pasta. Once he realized it was pretty much the SAME, he ate it. But then, I made a cabbage and tempeh stir-fry, and all he ate was a the rice. I figure I have a kid who eats pretzels by the ton, but he also loves miso soup. I didn't even know what miso WAS before high school. I don't force it, I have serious issues with regards to food (recovering from various eating disorders, serious) and I am very aware of NOT projecting that upon my kid.

*Play in the other room when his baby sister (11 mo) won't leave him alone.
My kid's an only, but he comes with me when I work (I'm a nanny for a 6 month old) and also we do a swap with friends and their kid is barely 2. My kid plays pretty well alone though, usually. I think expecting the 3-year-old to go in the OTHER room and play alone is not exactly realistic. Even if my kid plays alone, he wants SOMEONE in the room with him. Thank the gods for laptops! Sorry I don't have many constructive thoughts on this one.

*SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT!
It took us almost THREE YEARS, but my kid does finally sleep most of the night. It just sort of evolved that way, we didn't force it. I still don't even know how it happened. Sorry if I can't help with that!

Anyway, I am glad I stumbled into this thread. Makes me feel a little less paranoid about my own 3yo.
#30 of 35 Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Bearsmama Maybe we should get our 3 year olds together to play!! Sorry you're having a rough time too. I think that sometimes we forget that he is still too little to understand much, and we get frustrated because he doesn't. I think, now, that we need to be more clear about things, but lower our expectations and stop trying to explain stuff! He'll get it, but he's too little to get it right now.

Thank you. And you need the , too. I think I have to kind of completely change my view of him and our struggles/challenges together. I think I have to go back to feeling like he's my first and that the discipline thing is a journey, not a stuggle. I remember always thinking about how I could do things well or better. Now, unfortunately, I often just think of how we're going to get through something--in the minute or the day or whatever.

Geez Louise....Parenting is really hard, huh?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page