The Angry-Depressed-Sad-Weepy-"Holding it all in" Child - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there others out there to commiserate?
I'm at a complete loss

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#2 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM

I don't know, my 5-year-old certainly seems angry/depressed/anxious, but I sure wouldn't say he holds it in. He also has some pretty complicated sleep issues. We are needing to find a therapist who can help us, cos it's to the point that I feel not just out of my depth, but no longer even able to see the shore, if you know what I mean.

It is really disheartening when it seems like your young child is rarely able to just relax and enjoy their childhood.

#3 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylith View Post
I don't know, my 5-year-old certainly seems angry/depressed/anxious, but I sure wouldn't say he holds it in. He also has some pretty complicated sleep issues. We are needing to find a therapist who can help us, cos it's to the point that I feel not just out of my depth, but no longer even able to see the shore, if you know what I mean.

It is really disheartening when it seems like your young child is rarely able to just relax and enjoy their childhood.

This is us...It's reached a point where I feel I need outside help. My heart is breaking in a million little pieces when I consider she may be suffering from depression and I see myself in her and remember and know the sadness I felt for most of my entire life, without knowing why.

She hides behind the couch or in a corner and just stares off into space, consumed by her sadness/anger and yet is all choked up and can't speak when we try to talk about it. I try talking to her a la playful parenting, or use puppets but it can take literally hours for her to 'let go' and come back to join the family, but even then it's all the while sulking. It's just so sad ...

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 PM

I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that I was depressed from early childhood, though not diagnosed or treated until my 20's. It sounds like you've experienced that too. And, remember, depression has genetic components.

What a legacy to have possibly given our children, yk?

Have you tried nutrition related stuff at all?
#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM

I saw this in new posts and had to respond a resounding YES! Only this describes my 14 yo old to a t. It is not being a teenager she has been like this for a long time and I was too naive to get her help until last week. She has actually been in councelling twice before and it didn't work out because she was too quiet/anxious to talk to anyone.
#6 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that I was depressed from early childhood, though not diagnosed or treated until my 20's. It sounds like you've experienced that too. And, remember, depression has genetic components.

What a legacy to have possibly given our children, yk?

Have you tried nutrition related stuff at all?
I'm makingan appointment next week to rule out iron-deficience since she had it severely before and it caused similar symptoms, after that, I'm going to check out other nutritional deficiencies

sorry kids need me...hope to hear others' experiences.

#7 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can tell you that I was depressed from early childhood, though not diagnosed or treated until my 20's.
Reading this post title sounded EXACTLY like me as a child. I was depressed all my life until I started getting help working through all my issues only five years ago.

There are so many things that could help her start to live again. I truly believe things like Reiki, BodyTalk, Core Belief Engineering and Network Spinal Analysis could help her body to release the emotions that are trapped inside as I've seen them work for me.

Does she go to a chiropractor? How was the pregnancy with her? How was her birth? Was there a lot of trauma?

The sooner you can get some help with this the better for you and for your child. I would recommend going to see a child psychologist (preferably one you've been referred to so you know they are good) who could help your daughter work through it.

Do let us know how it goes.
#8 of 8 Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

not sureif the last post was meant for me or Sylith. I too was depressed almost my entire life, finally went on antidepressants when I was 17, stayed on for only 9 months as I was feeling amazing, weaned myself off. Fast forward about 5 years, after dd1's birth (the dd I'm worried about) I suffered from MAJOR postpartum depression. Her birth was stressful, was on bedrest for about 2 months, she was IUGR (intrauterine growth retardation), labour was long and stressful (pitocin) and she was low birth weight -5lbs at 38 weeks gestation.

Other than that though, things were 'fine'. I, however, after dd2's birth, discovered I suffered from postpartum thyroiditis and realized I had it after dd1's birth as well (undiagnosed, but the symptoms were identical)..so I forgot to mention I will be pushing to have her thyroid tested.

At about 10 months I took her in to see our ped for no weight gain for a period of about few months...was very severely anemic, within days she had perked up and was like I'd never seen her. the poor girl was soooo lethargic for months,cranky, irritable, wouldnt' play with her toys ..pretty much what she is now but in baby form. I just thought I had a cranky baby and my depression clouded my judgment as I always 'knew' it was me causing her to be cranky, and I didnt know waht I was doing etc. etc.

Pretty much she's been living around a hyper-stressed depressed mama who although I tried to fake it as much as I could, have probably caused a lot of this distress.

I want to rule out anything medical first, and if that resolves then continue on that route, otherwise perhaps see a naturopath to figure out doses of whatever it is she may need.

As for me I'm MUCH better and can honestly say I'm not depressed (besides a touch of SAD), and have been on an elimination diet for a few weeks now that lifted a cloud of depression I didnt realize was still lingering (what an awesome feeling that was when it lifted!)

sorry for the novel, it helps to talk

thanks everyone

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page