leaving 3 yr old for weekend for the first time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-03-2003, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to take a trip in about 2 weeks, and I am looking for any ideas, suggestions, and concerns I might not have thought about in preparation for my trip. I've known for about 6 weeks that this was probably going to happen, but I wasnt sure enough to even buy the tickets till last week.

I am going to Florida to attend a fitness/spa event and to become a certified fitness instructor in the workout I have been doing for the past 2 1/2 yrs. I was invited to come, am flying half off, having my room comped, and not being charged to attend this event, where the other attendees will be paying full price for their flights, plus about $800 to attend the event. My husband and I did not feel like I could pass this up. He cannot take off work and come to Florida, and he and I both feel like this is something that I should do on my own, that having both kids there would be way too distracting.

I am taking Lily with me. I have a sitter for her for the times I will be busy working out or getting certified (4 hrs Thursday, and probably 6 each on Fri and Sat). I am fairly comfortable with the person Lily will be with, and have let it be known that if Lily can't handle how busy Mama is, that Lily comes first and I might not be able to help at as many workouts as they may want me to.

My plans are to have Grace visit 3 different families on the 3 weekdays I will be gone, going over before lunch, staying till bedtime, with my husband coming over for supper and hanging out. Hoping she will fall asleep in the van on the way home. She is a very social girl, so having 3 day long playdates in a row will be a great bunch of fun as far as she is concerned I am sure. For the weekend, I am hoping that my friend Audrey will lend Rob some of her daughters to come spend the weekend at our house, and for Rob to take them out to fun places and dinner and stuff.

I am not necessary in Grace's bedtime routine. Papa can read her books and give her a bath and tuck her in, and she doesnt have to sleep in her bed if she doesnt want to, she is always welcome to sleep with Papa.

I am planning to take some videos of us playing together, and reading, and then me just talking to her. She loves any opportunity to watch videos, so I thought she might want to watch a Mama video if she was particularly sad. Just to have it around.

We have no nearby family, unfortunately, but many good friends.

I will have my cell phone and be available to her while I am gone. I leave around lunch on Wed the 17th and return around supper on the 21st.

Feedback? Suggestions for stuff to do? How can I tell her? Please help me do this well and make this a good bonding time for them and good away time for me.

Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 09-03-2003, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We left my daughter (3 1/2) overnight for the first time when our second child was born. She stayed with our friends with whom she was well acquainted; they also have a younger boy she likes a lot. We made sure to thoroughly prepare her by talking about it in advance, and she got to choose a special toy that we saved until the day she went over there. She liked that. She also helped pack her overnight bag and choose the toys/books to bring. That wouldn't really apply to your situation unless she wants to bring over some of her stuff to the friends' houses.

One thing that helped was that our daughter got to choose who she wanted to stay with. Maybe you can ask your daughter about that, too - would three different families be too much? Maybe she could stay with one. But it depends on the child, of course.

It sounds like you have a great plan - I'm sure everything will be just fine. Have fun, too!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3 of 3 Old 09-04-2003, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was also wondering if 3 different families might not be too much variety, all the days too different? sometimes i think, even for our very social dd, in a stressful situation, such as being away from mama, that it is better for her to be with the same folks as much as possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page