Okay, well, you will note first that I made the easy one that is just two platforms and not the fancier one with the stairs, etc.
So before Christmas I had this in mind and hadn't had time to get it together, but I had raided a neighbor's prunings for some promising branches. Neighbor had cut some bushes down — maybe forsythia? I really don't know what they were, but it doesn't matter. All you need is 3 sturdy branches about an inch or two in diameter. Then ideally I would have cut the platforms out of some local logs, but I couldn't quite make that happen in the time frame I was working with and when I was at AC Moore looking for party decorations I saw some precut wood/log sections that are designed for wood-burning. Here's a link
. That picture has the woodburning equipment, too, but the wood pieces I got weren't sold as part of the kit. They were back with all the little wooden letters and birdhouses and stuff. They were lovely and made in USA, too. They are pre-sanded, but have the bark around the edges which I thought was a nice touch. I think they were basswood.
So I just took my neighbor's bush branches and cut them to three equal lenghts, probably about 18 inches or maybe just 12 inches. I really didn't measure (!). I saved the top part that I cut off each branch for the top floor. It's okay if those aren't the same length. Then, using the biggest of the wood platforms as the bottom floor, I flipped the bottom floor over and propped the branches underneath and just nailed (finishing nails) through the bottom floor into the branches and used a little glue, too for good measure. I used two nails in each so they wouldn't wobble and twist. Then I flipped the whole contraption back upright so that the bottom floor was on the floor and the branches were sticking up in the air. To put the top floor on I positioned the top floor onto the branches, nailed through the top floor and into the branches, and also used a little glue. I didn't nail the nails all the way in tight, though. About a quarter of an inch of each nail was still sticking out. It was kinda tricky nailing since I was just nailing through the top floor into the branches and I didn't want to split them. Since I was using the finishing nails that don't have much head I just hammered the tops of the branches that I had cut off onto the parts of the nails that were sticking out and used a little glue, too, to stick them on. So if you followed that, that was the basic architecture.
I also made a quick hammock to hang in the fairy tree house. I had some scraps of something silky (have a lot of scrap fabric) and just hemmed it on the two long sides and then left a wide hem where I could thread some embroidery thread through on each end. I used the embroidery thread to hang it up. I made a little stick rope ladder, too with twigs and embroidery thread. I also dabbed a bit of glue on each knot I tied so it wouldn't unravel. That was really simple. I threw a piece of material around it like the playsilk in the Magic Cabin illustration, but dd1 took that off.
Anyway, the key that made the whole thing easy for me was finding those big wood pieces at AC Moore. If you had a good circular saw it would be easy enough to cut a slab off a downed tree, but I had neither tree nor saw, so the pre-cut was a find for me.
hth and if it's clear as mud just ask me questions.