Your experience w/sending non-vaxed child to school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting my ODC in 1st grade next year at a private school (she is home schooled this year). I'm worried about getting hassled about not vaxing her. I'm really hoping I can just sign the religious exemption section on the vax schedule and it will be a non event. I'm in South Dakota, so we have no philosophical exemption here, just medical and religious. Please tell me about sending your LO to school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Here in NJ we also have no philosophical exemption, so I had to find a way to write a religious letter even though this is not a part of our lives. I had a friend who just went through the same thing who was a big help and who already did the research. There are ways around it, we found using "our Creator" worked just fine. Hth.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do have a philosophical exemption here but, no one even questioned me. The kids are in a private preschool/kindergarten and they just had us sign a form. They're registered for public school for next fall and again, no question, I just had to sign a form.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM

I'm in MN, but it hasn't been an issue. We selectively vax and have a philosophical exemption, all I did was sign a form that stated I was opposed to any mandatory vaccinations. No big deal at all.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaw/two View Post
I'm starting my ODC in 1st grade next year at a private school (she is home schooled this year). I'm worried about getting hassled about not vaxing her. I'm really hoping I can just sign the religious exemption section on the vax schedule and it will be a non event. I'm in South Dakota, so we have no philosophical exemption here, just medical and religious. Please tell me about sending your LO to school.
This is your law:
Quote:
Submit a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent to a religious doctrine whose teachings are opposed to such test and immunization.
The above law "on the books" is not valid as written because the US Supreme Court made a ruling that disallowed the requirement of "adherent to a religious doctrine".

[quote]
Your religious beliefs can change, so you can exempt a previously vaxed child. You could also pretend your child is not vaxed to make life easier.

Some states, like NY and NJ allow the state to question the sincerity of your beliefs; the following is VERY important.

-For a religious exemption you need to be "against the practice of vaccination". If you give your reasons to be against vaccinations as:

"I'm against vaccination because they use aborted fetal cells" - This is a philosophical reason.

"I'm against pre-marital sex and some vaxes are for sexually transmitted diseases." This is a philosophical reason.

Again, you have to be against the the practice of vaccination. For a more through explanation of why this is read the Wexler decision below.

-Also, you DO NOT have to be a member of a religion doctrinally opposed to vaccination. You can be Wiccan, Lutheran, Catholic, Jewish, church of the flip flops, and still claim a religious exemption do to your personal religious beliefs against the practice of vaccination. Dr. Mercola does a good job of explaining this in my Religious Exemptions link below (you may have to register to read it).

-One more thing, you do not want to include specific biblical verses as your interpretation could be challenged. You need to describe your personal religious beliefs.
-Require that all questions regarding your exemption be in writing and give answers in writing. Do not give verbal responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Religious Exemptions

The Wexler Decision

To find out what exemptions are offered by your state (for school and such) check here:
http://www.nvic.org/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

All states except West Virginia and Mississippi offer religious and/or philosophical exemptions, and the supreme court ruled that you do not have to belong to a non-vaxing religion or have clergy sign your religious exemption. Exemptions can be submitted in lieu of vaccination records (I would do it this way).

The US Supreme Court ruling that determined that you do not have to belong to a particular religion to use a religious exemption is:
Sherr v. Northport-East Northport Union Free Sch. Dist., 672 F. Supp. 81, 89-90 (E.D. N.Y. 1987)
http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/consent.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/...es_chptr13.htm

Sample Religious Exemption Letter

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health § 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The US Supreme Court ruled in Sherr v. Northport-East Northport Union Free Sch. Dist., 672 F. Supp. 81, 89-90 (E.D. N.Y. 1987), that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Your signature.
Date

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Not an issue. Signed the religious exemption, sent the kid to school. End of story. Never a question, never a problem, never mentioned by anyone.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 PM

AJ went to preschool at the Y last year and is in our public school system this year and it hasn't been a problem at all. I signed the religious exemption and it's never been mentioned.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My two youngest children go to private schools and neither are vaccinated. I simply signed the back of the vaccination form, it has never been questioned. In fact the director of the school that DD attends (part-time) is totally anti-vax herself.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM

We have never had a problem. Ds and Dd both went to a preschool in NH and they only have religious exemption. We have been there for a total of 4 years (between the kids) and I just simply stated "because we dont believe in them". You dont have to go into an all out explanation. By law they cannot question your Religion.... and it simply has never been an issue. The only comment I received was "well as long as you understand that in the event that a communicable disease is spreading we may ask that he stay home" or something to that resort, I was like yeah whatever.

Now we live in ME and my ds is in 1st grade and dd is going into Kindergarten next year. We have not had one issue... not one. They have both Philosophical and Religious. I simply stated again "because we do not believe in them".

I JUST registered her last week and I got no response, I got an ok you are all set!

I dont even bring it up, I sign the release.... it is a small box (here in ME) right on the back of the vaccine form that we got. ON the front it says stuff like, my child is fully vaccinated and I have included the vaccines he has had or my child is not fully vaccinated, I understand if I do not provide the vaccine whatever my child will not be able to attend school until I do...

When I signed ds up for K, i was like oh hey look at this, way back here on the back of the form is the exemption box, huh, that was easy.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM

we also don't have a philosophical exemption, but when I went to get my religious exemption, no questions where asked, I just filled out the forms, signed something, they made copies, handed me a packet of vax info and that was it. She even bumped me up in line b/c I had to go get my DD from school.

When I got to her school I just handed the form to the woman and that was it. She goes to a small private school, and as I am the one who helps out in the office sometimes I know out of 70 students 6 of them aren't vaxed. I asked the lady about it and she said they have to accept the exemptions so it wasn't even an issue.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela&avery View Post
The only comment I received was "well as long as you understand that in the event that a communicable disease is spreading we may ask that he stay home" or something to that resort, I was like yeah whatever.
Not to hijack this thread, but has anybody had to keep their child home from school because of an outbreak? We are non-vax and we received a letter during a recent mumps "scare" saying we'd have to keep our child home for 18 days (or maybe 13?) if a child in his school contracted mumps. That hasn't happened, but keeping him out for so long scares me a little bit, I must admit.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Where I live private schools have a right to tell you either vax or don't come so you should ask them about that before you settle on a school for sure because there are deadlines for some private schools, public schools do have to offer exemptions though because they recieve government funds.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM

Here in NH we only have the option of religious exemption. I have two dd's in school one is in the middle school the other in 1st grade. When the 14yo started school I signed the form had it notorized and turned it in with all the other forms at the beginning of the year. Never heard anything again. With my 1st grader I did the same when she started K last year...we have a new school nurse and she was quick to call me and just make sure I knew if there was any sort of outbreak I would have to remove my daughter from school. I thanked her for the call and left it at that. Even if my child was vaxed I would remove them if there was an outbreak. I have not heard anymore about it
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM

We've never had an outbreak, that shouldn't happen if you vax right. I've looked at the list and we have to keep them home for so long as well, but I think I'd rather them go and get whatever it was that was going around. As long as I wouldn't get nasty letters from the state telling me I was neglecting my child or he wasn't going to get to go to the next grade b/c THEY made him stay home, it wouldn't bother me.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

I signed my dd up for OR public K last week and had to fill out a bunch of forms in a packet but the vacc form wasn't in there so I asked the school secretary who was helping at the sign-up event "where is the immunization form?" And she replied "that is the list of shots your child got at the dr." She must have thought I said "what" not "where" So I said yes, but I don't see it in this packet, but it is on the checklist to be completed. She told me to give her dd's list and she would copy it onto the form. I said, "no, I need the form so I can sign the religious exemption" Her eyebrows went way way up and I could tell she really wanted to say something. Legally of course she can't. So I followed her down to the office, checked the box, signed the bottom and I hope that is the last I hear of it. I also marked "no" on the daily fluoride tablet chewed in class. I wasn't expecting that one

I mentioned something during the copying of my residency documents about potentially homeschooling and after that I could tell she was like "oh, one of THOSE" She didn't say anything negative or rude, just going by body language. But whatever. I just don't want it to bounce back on dd. She will probably be the only one with a gluten-free organic vegetarian lunch too

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years

User Tag List