In like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb for May 04 Mamas! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My aunt owns the preschool that Saige goes to. She loves it there and her teacher seems pretty good. I wish I was able to see more of her there, but dh drops her off and my sil picks her up most days because I'm working. It works out better that way. I'd rather work while she's in school.

Today ended up being way too full. It was picture day at school, so I went into work late so I could do S's hair. Then at work, I got peed on and not just a little pee, the kind that goes through your jacket, scrub top and some of your shirt, then drips down your pant leg and onto your shoes. Gross!! I just barely got home after running errands. Good news...both kids are asleep, I'm putting dinner in the crockpot and taking a bath to try and remove pee smell

This turned into an allaboutme post...oops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 PM

Meesa---the AAM post just makes you an officially official MMF! now!

nothing else to add....long day here! found out that my iron is indeed low---off to order some floradix!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 PM

lol at the princess shoes and the nakedness.

Loving the Waldorf idea. Don't know a ton about it, but my girlies go to a Montessori preschool and I can totally relate to everything you've said, Renae. Everything from the finances to the "not quite a Montessori family" thing - they are definitely anti-TV, anti-characters, etc, which I totally support but which can get tricky sometimes. Mostly I'm grateful for it though because it means that when I say "No, you can't wear that to school" it's not because I'm the bad mama : I get to say "Miss Erin says it's better if...." and for whatever reason that carries more weight. I have to admit, if it avoids a meltdown I'm all for it

So.... had a REALLY long day in the office (I was there from before 8 to after 4, and while I know people work that long on a regular basis, I am both on my feet and talking to people the whole time, so after about 5 hours I am dragging). AND my assistant is on vacation, so I was doing the work of two people. It was fine but I was really, really glad to get home at 4:45.

Well.

You know what's really not fun after a long day of work with a bunch of hungry kids when all you want to do is sit down? Extricating a dead skunk from the fence It was stuck in the fence, which is why it died. And my dog wanted to eat it. So we had to get it out. And may I just say after we cut the fence I had to pull it out with my hands (I used a huge trash bag as a glove) and ew, ew, ew. I want to wash my soul. And my eyeballs.

Yes, there are worse things than toddler poop.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM

oh juice---ewwwwy!! I thought a skunk spraying under the porch was bad, but uh, yeah, that sux way worse.

That is a crazy long day for your line of work!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Meesa---the AAM post just makes you an officially official MMF! now!
Wahoo!!

Juice~omg...ewww! I can't imagine that. Ew again..
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 AM

Juice... your day definitely tops mine.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yuck, Juice! Sorry 'bout that stinky-ness.

Lisa, hope the ABX kick what's left of your illness.

Y'know, I'm gonna just give a : to everyone, 'cuz there is so much I want to respond to, but know I'll forget so much. I've fallen into the reading and not posting habit, and well, you know how that goes. I've been putting together a photo montage for Sarah's upcoming birthday, so that's been using up alot of my computer time. If anyone wants to watch it, check out the old blarg.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM

I've been doing the reading and not posting thing too, but I'm about to break that habit now. I think an AAM post is just as good as personal responses, just not representative of what we really think, which is many thoughts as the posts go by. Soon there might exist a thought-streaming device for posting in forums such as this, to save time.

Went to Morelia last weekend to teach a bellydance workshop, it was great. Did I already say this? I'm losing track of things!!! Yes, that's right, I reported that the aloneness was wunderbar. Couldn't quite believe how it felt to have no one's needs but my own to attend to.

I have some guests at my house, a student and her family, so what little extra time I have is taken up by socializing. *sigh* Life is good at the moment, not too crazy or overwhelming.

Supervising peanut butter cookie baking and trying not to get in the way of guests in the kitchen...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM

OMG Juice, pulling a *dead* skunk out of a fence is definitely up there on my list of disgusting gross-outs. Bleeeeaaaccchh. You are a fierce warrior-mama. That one would qualify for my rare playing of the "that's what men are for, honey" card.

Heading to the hospital today *not* for baby-catching call but to work with a lactation consultant doing outpatient follow-ups. I'm looking forward to it. I would really like to have more training in lactation and make that one of my specialties. It's interesting (and sad, I think) how it seems to me that fewer and fewer midwives know a lot in-depth about breastfeeding issues. I mean, I love lactation consultants, and love that there is a specialty out there for that, but I also think midwives should at least know how to help with the basic problems within the first week or two. And many don't. I don't know; what are your thoughts? Would any of you have liked more help from your midwives about breastfeeding?

Have a great Friday everyone!
Sarah
Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Sarah---most definitely that would be a help! I think so much good teaching can be done before the babe even arrives. Especially for issues like inverted nipples that can be disastrous if you don't plan for how to deal with, yk?

Elsanne---mmm....pb cookies! I think we're going to make some banana muffins after nap. All three are napping at once! I am supermama!!! Off to find my cape and clean the kitchen and hopefully get an hours nap after that! :

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 PM

just checking in here to say hi!

juice-skunk in fence! That's awful.

Talk of pb cookies and banana muffins makes me want to bake something too. I'm thinking snickerdoodles. yummmmy.

yesterday, G and A napped at the same time, and A napped for 3 hours! Today, not so much. But, when it happens, it feels like pure bliss.

got A a cute Easter outfit off Ebay and got G a little Easter suit, too. So cute. I'll have to take pics and post after the events. A is also getting baptized on Easter Eve, so I've got another little white eyelet number for that. Family and friends will be coming up for that event, and I'm hosting a little brunch for her the day of, also, so a couple weeks from now will be super busy.

dh arrived home safe and sound. He's had to tell some of the church folks about the search process and he's found that hard to do. Man, he has really taken on the church's depression and fearful feelings--we had to have a big talk last night and I had to remind him (again) why he's looking for other work. He's sane again, but, I've never seen him get dragged down by a place like this before. It's not like him at all. So, on the good side, the KS church is coming for a visit this weekend, and I'm kinda getting excited about that.

off to do something while it's quiet...happy friday mamas!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Heather, I'm dying over your current senior title.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Hey y'all... no details, but Jstar had her appendix out this afternoon. Think good, healy loving thoughts towards her and the rest of the fam. Claudia will update later.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 AM

wowza!! lots of healing thoughts heading her way!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 AM

OK, so I'm gonna comment on the skunk one last time and let it go.

OMG, that was so awful. And I totally played the "You must deal with this" card with DH, and he really, really tried. But the thing was actually stuck in our neighbor's fence, which is old and rickety and wirey and the reason we went ahead and put up a fence of our own (chainlink was all we could afford). So there are two fences about a foot apart, and the stuck skunk was within reach of our dog... it was just bad. And when all was said and done, one of us had to hold up OUR fence so we could reach the other to clip it and let the dead beast free. So DH did the fence-holding, and I did the skunk-grabbing... and YES, I felt and still feel like a fierce warrior mama. It was a horrible thing to have to do, but dangit, I did it anyway. Go ME! And when I said "there are worse things than toddler poop" I really hope everyone knows I was telling that to myself, as I routinely complain about toddler poop. I did not, in any way, mean to minimize anyone else's toddler poop experience, which I know can be quite traumatic.

lovies, all. I have to nurse this toddler to sleep *again*.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Totally missed the update from KK, because it takes me 900 years to post!

Loving, healing vibes to jstar! So sorry you've had to endure this.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 AM

OMG!!! OMGOMG. Jstar, sooo sending good thoughts and vibes your way. What happened?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:46 AM

update oy about jstar. everyone okay. her mom is flying in tomorrow night to help them. she is on major pain meds, but had pumped milk for E in the fridge (or she said he also takes other milks). left message for Doug and will update when i hear back.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:58 AM

oh jstar!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking of you!!! s

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 AM

oh jstar!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking of you!!! s

Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 AM

Holy Carp! Praying for health and healing for Jess and Daddy You Can Do It vibes for Doug.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:35 AM

Ditto what Meg said - hope healing comes quickly and life gets back to normal very soon.

Sarah
Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 AM

hi mamas. i have a little 4am insomnia because i think i've been sleeping for about a day and a half now. except it is kind of like nursing a baby when you get woken up every couple of hours for vitals.

this shizzle hurts!! and well, i am a wimpus. i shed a few tears before the surgery -- i've never had surgery and i was 'so wishing this weren't happening to me right now!! i got a severe stomachache after dinner on thursday and thought i had food poisoning. i puked 5 times and was just in so much pain. like my stomach was full of hot coals. doug was kind of poo-pooing it like it would just go away and he fell asleep after midnight. when i was still awake at 2am writhing around in pain i went downstairs to tell him i was going to the ER because i couldn't go on like that. i drove myself just hunched over. it was thankfully empty but it still felt like it took the half-life of uranium to get me into a bed. when the doc started pushing around my stomach the really sore part was down low on the right. all the pain had been up high in my stomach though. so i wondered if this was an appendix prob. CT scan and yes. so i called doug and he called M (my old boss) at 5:30am. she came over to be with the kids so he could be with me. and then A our babysitter came for a while. AND she texted me that she cleaned the house too so i am completely grateful

we had plans to go out last night so thankfully i had 3 bottles of pumped milk in the fridge. and i think i have some more in the freezer. he'll take formula if he's super hungry.

i was SOOO worried about ebin waking up while i was gone but doug said he went down after a bottle 2x. and i hope this night is going as well too. doug brought the boys by yesterday evening for a half-hour or so but ebin is so grabby. and doug was so tired i hope he managed to get the boys in bed by 7:30 doubtful. but he is getting a really big 'welcome to my world' i have to laugh a little

isaac seemed ok. want to hear the wierdest thing? i ordered him some books through scholastic at school and we read the last one for the first time thursday at bedtime. it was madeline. i hadn't read it before but she gets her appendix out. <insert twilight zone music>

i am *dying* for a shower and have an itchy rash all over my stomach from whatever chemical they wiped it with. i feel like i'm asking for a lot of pain meds but jeebus it hurts :/

mcsarah - i don't know if you go to pmc anymore for call but i'm on the same floor as maternity

i guess i will go home tomorrow. the surgeon was very funny when he was telling me about the procedure and possible risks. he says 'its a wonder we get anyone out of here alive' : but the appendix was the only thing inflamed so it was really straightforward.

i think i can't sleep because i am s.t.a.r.v.i.n.g. i guess i should try to sleep again though.

it is so weird to be away from my boys. and i am soooo glad my mom is coming. i am not going to be able to lift ebin very easily for a few days i 'm sure.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM

Oh jstar, so good to hear from you. So glad you can connect in the hospital to the internets. Heavens, my dear. What a huge thing. I am so sorry you're in so much pain! I had to laugh too about the "welcome to my world"...maybe will spawn a bit more mama appreciation all 'round...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 PM

hey jstar-glad you're feeling better! That's awful! Glad you had the presence of mind to go the ER. I'll be thinking of you all but it's good your mom can come out to help to.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM

jstar---sounds intense and scary--and the book thing is too strange! Glad your mom is coming. Hope you can get relief from the pain. Life will settle back into place before too long. Take care of you!! Wish you were closer---I have a freezer full of milks I could share!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Wow Jstar! Glad you are doing a little better. Hope they give you enough pain meds to feel a little more comfortable! And *note to self* NEVER reading Madeline... : Off to do some grocery shopping and pick up the last of the boxes... gotta finish the house today. Woo-hoo!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Tried to quote Jess, but it looked crazy, so giving up.Big hugs to you!!! Yes, surgery *does* hurt. Take as much pain stuff as you feel you need; it helps with the healing (if you're in too much pain, you avoid moving etc which is not good, you're too exhausted, etc.) Glad that for what happened, it sounds like it went well. I *do* hope you have lots of help so you can get lots of rest. *Very* good that your mom is coming (nothing against Doug, but hey, who do we want taking care of us when we're down, our husbands or our moms? not a hard choice... : ). Are they letting you eat? If you're on soft stuff, I'm thinking major smoothie time (like maybe chocolate-peanut butter-banana smoothie : ).Yes, going to stay away from Madeleine. She seemed like such a nice little girl.... Hmm. Can't do my usual blue, so you'll have to use your imagination.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Jess! So glad you are doing okay. I definitely chuckled at the welcome to world thing. They really never know how it is until they get a true taste, eh? Keep resting, let everybody help, and get well soon.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:30 PM

thanks for the update, jess. : hug and : also I just talked to doug a few minutes ago and ebin did super during the night and doug brought him into bed with him early this morning even. go daddy! and doug even said to me taking care of both boys and during the night stuff makes him "appreciate his wife more" so yeah, he's getting it.

more healing thoughts to you, jess, and now I need coffee.

~c

User Tag List