Going rate for the tooth fairy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the going rate for the tooth fairy these days? My son lost his first tooth the other day, and while it was still wiggly, he was saying how the tooth fairy would bring him a quarter. I thought that was kinda low, so I gave him a golden dollar coin, and he LOVED that. Someone I know said that the most she gave her son was $5, but he was complaining because a kid in his class gets $20 I cannot even imagine $20 for a tooth. I could see maybe (MAYBE!) $5 for a molar or a tooth that was exceedingly difficult or something, but $20? Is this normal nowadays? Am I just an old scrooge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM

We paid the same as you, a gold dollar coin.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM

For the first few teeth we gave a small charm. Then dd lost a tooth and we didn't have a charm ready so we gave money. We've given money since but never the same amount and never more than a dollar though.
I think anything over $5 is very excessive but people do all kinds of things. I'd just do what makes sense to your family.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Maybe, I'm cheap, but I give a quarter.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love the idea of a gold coin - wish we'd started with that.

My brother's kids get around $6. He told me it's on a sliding scale, with first teeth and top front teeth being worth more (because that gap-toothed smile makes such a difference in their appearance.)

At my house, the Tooth Fairy is giving a flat $5 per tooth.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 PM

We've been giving the golden dollers since they came out. I can't tell you how many times I have had to call dh to hit the car wash change machine on the way home from work because someone just presented me with a tooth.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A silver or gold dollar for the first, quarters for subsequent teeth.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
one gold dollar is the going rate around here.

$20? Never in a million years.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM

Chiming in -- the tooth fairy leave one shiny gold Sacajawea dollar per tooth at our house. She even polishes them first.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM

It's two dollars in my neighborhood and we do the gold dollars also. The post office stamp machines in my town give them as change, so that's our after-hours where-to-get-them place.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Here it is $5 for a first or upper front tooth. The others are usually $2. When my dd2 got $5 for her first tooth, then mentioned to a friend - that mom (friend of mine also) emailed me to give me a bad time for upsetting the tooth fairy economy - as it was $1 at their house.

I think anything between $1 and $5 is pretty standard around here. I got at least two quarters way back in the 70s.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM

A dollar bill per tooth is our rate.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do a dollar. My biggest worry is remembering to do the job!!!! I have forgotten half the time because my bedtime is also early and I am so exhausted by the time my kids go to bed! Then I have my daughter write a quick note to him, and while she's at school or busy I write a reallly fancy letter and put the money with it. I would put more money in out of sheer guilt if I could, but we have a very fixed income.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 PM

We're planning on charms or gold dollars. One of my neices get's 5 dollars per tooth, another gets dental care stuff...like a toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-15-2008, 05:08 AM

My kid gets a dollar.

I wish I'd thought of the gold coin - he would love that.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 AM

LOL $20 WTH?! When Keegan approached me with his first loose tooth I stressed to him not too mess with it (I had NO money on me until I went to work the next day) needless to say he lost it that night... He got stuck with 4 quarters lol. I stocked up on a bunch of gold coins after that just in case. He just lost one the other night and when he wanted me to "call the toothfairy" he asked me to see if she could leave a dollar bill time. I was so excited to leave him these gold coins I so diligently collected so I folded up the dollar crafty like and put the gold coin in it I guess I just uped the going rate to $2 dollars around here.

$20 I still cant get over that. Keegan had made the comment [when I told him we didnt have enough money to get the toy he wanted] "thats ok mom, I can lose a couple teeth tonight and we can come back" at $20 a pop he might really have some motivation to knock some teeth loose.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Ds gets $3-4 a tooth. He did get $20 once but that was for a tooth he banged and bent off another kid's head and there was blood and pain and screaming and an inability to eat or drink (tooth was wedged so DS couldn't close his mouth to swallow at all) for the five hours it took to get an emergency dental appointment and have the tooth pulled. He definitely earned more than his usual that day. It took3 hours before he was calm enough (or exhausted enough) to let me even look in his mouth. For three hours he curled up with a cloth covering his mouth to stop the bleeding and catch all the drool and wrote "pain" over and over again on a paper. I didn't even think we were going to make the dentist appointment as he was so upset at the idea of letting anyone near his mouth. By the time the appointment rolled around he was willing and was really great in the chair.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Can you get the gold dollars at the bank? Sounds like pirate coins so ds would LOVE that. (I was planning on just giving a quarter)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Can you get the gold dollars at the bank? Sounds like pirate coins so ds would LOVE that. (I was planning on just giving a quarter)
We get them at our Credit Union, but they only give them in groups of $25. That is for the new President Dollars, though.

We give our kids .25/year. So if the tooth is lost when you are 6, you get $1.50 in quarters.

I wanted to do the dollar coins but we didn't have any when DD lost her first tooth so we just did quarters.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM

I got $2 a tooth (in the 90s). I'm thinking I'll either do the gold dollar thing or a gem of some sort. I'd go up to $5, depending on DH's income at the time. I don't want to go broke because my kids are losing baby teeth, kwim?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 03-15-2008, 04:07 PM

A 2.00 bill would be cool...my dd has her first loose tooth so right now!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM

Tooth fairy brings new $2 bills at our house
Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM

We have done the Sacajawea gold coins as well. DS loves the "gold coins" and does know that each one is worth $1. He's a saver, so they go right in his Piggy Bank after he's done oohing and aahing over their "goldness."

Lots of our friends have done shells, crystals, "jewels" (marbles) instead of money and their kiddos seem just as happy with those.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Ooh, I like the idea of crystals.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We did a $2 bill for the first tooth. Since then it has been between 1 and 2 dollars a tooth. A friend had a wiggly tooth at the same time and her mom and I chatted first. The girls thought it was so cool that the tooth fairy gave them each a $2 bill.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 AM

We are going to do $5 for the 1st tooth lost, and $1 for the others. On another board a mama posted an idea for spraying the dollar bills with glitter so it's fairy dust..Thought that was a super cute idea!!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Ummmm, the tooth fairy gives whatever she has in her pocket. DS lost his first tooth at 4 years and a couple of weeks. It never crossed my mind that 4year olds could lose tooth so I certainly wasn't armed with a Sacajawa dollar, glitter, or some crystals. All I had was a $10 bill so that's what he got -- I'm sure he went to preschool and talked about it too.

We did talk about the fact that the first tooth gets the most and not to expect more than a dollar the next time. He did get $20 when the dentist pulled 2 teeth -- but that was "pain and suffering" money!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM

I used to get anywhere from 25 cents to $2 growing up. The last few were really disenchanting, I'd tell Mom I lost one, and she'd hand my money from her wallet. Really lost the magic in there somewhere - I simply felt entitled to money.

So, I swore I wouldn't do money with my kids. DH went to the local bead store, picked up some inexpensive chain, a clasp, some pins and mother-of-pearl beads. DD gets a bead for each tooth she loses. Total cost was $7 for startup and first two teeth (we kinda had to hurry because they were extracted during major surgery).
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
we did $5 for the first (and a penny for little sister) because a friend at school got $5 for her first, but the tooth fairy wrote a note to let dd1 know that the rest would just be $1. We use the golden dollar coins, too, but ours are Thomas Jefferson 'cause that's who came out of the stamp machine at the P.O. I may have to make a run to the bank, though, because they're taking out the stamp machines around here and replacing them with the Automatic Packaging Center and I'm unclear if that thing has golden dollars or not. I still have a stash of about 4 or 5 in my sock drawer, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 03-16-2008, 01:35 PM

We do the shiny dollar coins at our house. They are a big hit, I am loath to do much more than that the $2 bills sound neat though. Maybe I am just cheap, but I remember being terribly excited to get a dime, and estatic if I got a quarter.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

User Tag List