smoochy 6-year-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-21-2002, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! My 6-year-old daughter has been trying to kiss 2 of the boys on the school bus. So far these 2 boys (also in her kindergarten class) have been playing along and I know it's all just innocent silliness. But I don't know if I should try to discourage this behavior or what . When I tell her it's not a good idea she wants to know why and I don't have a good answer for her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2002, 11:41 PM

I saw this topic the other day and I was hoping someone wiser and more experienced would come and give you some advice. I think I would feel a little uncomfortable because of some of the things I have read about in the news. Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago where a kindergarten boy was suspended for kissing a classmate? I am sure your daughter is totally innocent and sweet but unfortunately other people may not see it that way. Maybe have a talk with her about who it is and is not okay to kiss? Like it's ok to kiss Mommy and Daddy but not ok to kiss the kids at school? : I'm not sure if that's the right thing but maybe for her safety it's necessary.
#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2002, 11:46 PM

You don't have to make it a question of kissing -- it's also a question of personal space. When this happened with my DS when he was also that age, we approached it as an issue of respecting other people's personal space. That includes any type of touching/poking/kicking/nudging ... you get the picture. They simply have to learn how to keep their hands (heh -- and lips!) to themselves!

#4 of 4 Old 03-25-2002, 11:21 AM

MY DD had this problem when she was that age. It made her very un-popular after awhile. Baby Phat is right, teaching about personal space is very important. I know it was very hard to explain to my DD about the kissing...after all she loved us and got to kiss us when ever she wanted...she loved her friends and wanted to hug and kiss them as well. What helped was to give her ideas on how to show her friends she liked them with out kissing and hugging.

peggy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page