pooping --not in potty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3yo DD has been pooping in places which are not the potty! Behind the couch, in her closet, in a decorative box.

Any ideas on how to discourage this. I began with treating it as no big deal, just cleaned it up and told DD that we only pooped in the potty. When she complained that her room smelled stinky, I mentioned that that was one of the reason's that we only poop in the potty.

She did it again though. This time I asked her to clean it up, which she did.

Any better ideas on how to deal with it?
#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 AM

I don't have advice but just wanted to say DS was the same way at the same age! I would tell him that poop belongs in the potty, try to "catch" him and take him to the bathroom when I thought he was going to poop, etc. but nothing worked! I even did the have him clean up bit too. Finally, on his own one day he started not going in his pants and using the toilet. So I don't think anything could've worked with him. He just had to be ready on his own and then that's when he stopped having accidents. At some point your DD will be ready too!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#3 of 4 Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 PM

I don't have any advise but I wanted to say that you're not alone.. My now 7 yr old went through a stage of pooping in the backyard (our dog did, so why not, eh) and my now three yr old loves to go under tables or under her sister's desk (but at least she leaves her undies on ). My three yr old seems to have an issue with flushing her poo though she will occasionally go on the toilet (she pees in it most of the time, yay!!). Maybe this is preparation for the later years..

mischievous.gif
#4 of 4 Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. A friend suggested that I move a potty into DDs bedroom for awhile. Im going to try that and also try to make going poop in the toilet more appealing by getting her a special towel and soap to be used after pooping in the toilet.

I hope it works.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page