Please tell me what you think of DD's recital costume - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love my parks and rec ballet/tap class

The recital was at a Spring (really Easter) festival.

As to costumes? The teacher said "wear pastel leos and some type of skirt" and bought bunny ears at Taregt for the kidlets... she DID recommend hair pulled back and "a little bit of make-up might be fun" but my 3 year old's ringlets just WON'T be tamed... and what the heck would make-up improve on a child!!!? SO she was a glorious, mop headed - naked-faced bunny!
#62 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM

I believe my daughter's dance recital costume, by the way, is a sequined leotard. I think there is a very short stick-out-horizontal type skirt and butterfly wings that attach to the wrists for her ballet number. Then they take off the skirt and wings for the tap number.

She's four, and this is the south, and in May she is usually found in a swimsuit or gymnastics leotard. June, July and August she barely gets out of a swimsuit.

But I get that the costume under discussion is sorta weird and you could feel like there is something missing, so I fully support her in adding bottom coverage.
#63 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 PM

I would absolutely add something to the bottom and underneath. Is she shirtless under this raincoat. How embarassing would it be for if the buttons did pop or something while she danced around? And I think there is a significant difference between a bathing suit or a leotard and something that is or resembles underpants. I would speak to the instructor and tell her your feelings and more importantly your dd's and tell her how you would like to handle it. I think it's a great idea to follow the costume the boy is wearing. For me personally, I'd probably just wanna add tights and a leotard underneath or a leotard and bike shorts. And I would have to say for my comfort level the shorts would show from beneath the coat.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#64 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post
... and what the heck would make-up improve on a child!!!?
The make-up isn't to improve the child, it's to bring out the features so you can see their faces from the stage. Just like real ballerinas and actors on Broadway.

To this costume - is she wearing tights? I would also add a leotard under it. That way, her top is covered and she may feel more comfortable in that (since I'm assuming she wears a leotard in normal classes). Then, add the green bottoms on top.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#65 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
But if you want to try to find coordinating bike shorts for everyone, go for it.
Why is it her responsibility to find bike shorts for everyone?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#66 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#67 of 67 Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 PM

I clicked on the thread all ready to say "just chill out about the recital outfits" but that one is actually pretty bad. I wouldnt let my DD wear it. My DD is in a recital, as I was in many, and we wore costumes and makeup and it was fun, but I would have an issue with that one. My DDs class is required to wear makeup - not to improve them, but because the lights on the stage wash out your features. She will have fun, its one day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page