Mothering Forum banner

6 yr old and shorts

1K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  mommy68 
#1 ·
Would these shorts look bad to you? First off, my DD has never worn these outside the home. I bought them last year when she was involved in gymnastics classes. They are blue and say GYMNAST on the butt. They were purchased at the gym we went to. They were too big at the time but on sale and she wanted them (not because of the wording on the butt) and so I got them and put them away. We got the shorts out the other day and DH had never seen them before and said he didn't want her to ever wear them outside the house. He said he didn't like to see females wearing shorts with words on them. However, I don't think it's the same. It's not like they say something like "you wish" or something nasty or distasteful.

Am I wrong? I won't let her wear them outside the house because she doesn't really care at this point that she even has the shorts now (figures, now that they fit) so it's not really an issue. But it bugged me that DH was so adamant about it. I don't think anything is wrong with the shorts.

See less See more
#5 ·
Oh, DP would also *freak* out about butt writing since he totally freaked out about a couple skorts DD got this year.
That I ignored him on

DD did get a shirt one time with a picture of a little chicken that said something like "It's all about me" and DP also didn't go for that. We gave it to charity.

#6 ·
I'm in the no writing on the butt crowd. I hate the style and think it's jst terrible and doesn't look right on anyone, not even people of approrpiate age if there is a one for that. *shrugs*

I personally, just don't like it... but I'd agree with a PP that there is no reason in the world to bring attention to a 6 y/o'd bottom.

Around the house... sure why not.

#8 ·
oh i guess i am different i have shorts that have things on the butt and so does my dd she also has shorts and pants with graphics/designs on them. i dont see a big deal it is not like they are very short and showing everything and it dont say anything bad. i have seen wording i wouldnt want on my child like "kiss" and other sexual wording what is the difference between the butt and the chest??? both are "sexual" parts but a tshirt that has righting is ok but the butt is not it is what is being said not where it is placed.

#11 ·
I don't really like writing on the butt of pants (or on t-shirts). I don't know how dh feels.

My dd received some pants for a gift around age 6 that had princess or something non-offensive written on the butt. I just had her wear it with a longer shirt. The pants were fine otherwise.

ETA: My objection is not that it is sexual. Clothes with writing on the butt just look a bit tacky to me.

#12 ·
I'm also side on the "no writing" side.

Last year my dd took a tumbling class and, as I was pondering Sudoku, a kid walked past in those exact type of shorts. From a quick glance all I saw was "NAST". Goodness gracious not "Nasty" was my first thought. It took a couple more minutes before I realized what it said.

#13 ·
Yep, I'm with the rest, I detest writing on the butt, and wouldn't let my daughter out of the house with writing on her butt (I don't care if the writing said Straight A Student, it just draws attention away from the person in the clothes, and directs it toward a body part). That said, DD has Halloween pajamas that she wears all the time that say BOO! on the butt. But, they are pjs, and not worn outside the house.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I don't think it's a big deal. How many people are really going to see it as something sexual? Few except those who have issues with it.
and those are exactly the people that I do not wish to parade my 6 year old in front of in shorts with writing on the bum. Because, the problem is, you never know who those people are or how often or closely you interact with them in daily life. (this coming from someone who had a person like that as part of the family growing up).

#17 ·
I'm also a member of the "no writing on the butt" crowd.

Quote:
is the difference between the butt and the chest??? both are "sexual" parts but a tshirt that has righting is ok but the butt is not it is what is being said not where it is placed.
A six year old girl wouldn't have a chest to speak of.

#18 ·
I don't allow my kids to wear clothes with writing on the butt, period. I might allow it for gymnastics class though (and I wouldn't get into a huge power struggle over clothing styles; I'd give in if the child was adamant.)

Since this is important to DH, and DD doesn't care, I'd give the shorts away or save them as pajamas.

By the time a girl is old enough to develop breasts, I don't feel I really have "control" over clothing choices anymore. I certainly share my opinions about what styles of clothing are appropriate, but I won't get into a power struggle over clothing.

#19 ·
That wouldn't bother me. I'll have to ask my husband what he thinks. No way would I feel comfortable with a kid wearing "Hottie" or something on the butt but that doesn't bother me, and I guess I don't see writing on the butt as inherently sexual. I'm from the era of designer jeans with fancy stitching and brand names prominently displayed on the butt, and I never saw that as particularly sexual either.

#20 ·
I think pants/shorts with writing on the butt look cheap and tacky, not to mention the fact that they draw attention to a child's butt.

Of course my kid doesn't wear logos or text on his clothes because I don't think kids (or people) should be billboards... but that's an entirely different point.

The issue here is: You don't care, your DD doesn't seem to care either, your DH is against it. Why have a struggle over a pair of shorts? I'm a believer in picking your battles, so I'd go with your DH on this regardless of how I personally felt.

#21 ·
Personally I find writing on the butt distasteful, I am also not a big one for wording on shirts, and DH really doesn't like the "princess" and "It's all about me!" shirts you see all the time now. Places and pictures don't bother me though.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
and those are exactly the people that I do not wish to parade my 6 year old in front of in shorts with writing on the bum. Because, the problem is, you never know who those people are or how often or closely you interact with them in daily life. (this coming from someone who had a person like that as part of the family growing up).
by issues I meant parents who hate it(like the OP's DH), not pedophiles or predators who don't care what the child is wearing

#23 ·
I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Butt writing is not my taste, but I don't have any moral objection to it, or to any other clothing item for that matter.

I think your partner is being ridiculous.

#26 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Oh, DP would also *freak* out about butt writing since he totally freaked out about a couple skorts DD got this year.
That I ignored him on

DD did get a shirt one time with a picture of a little chicken that said something like "It's all about me" and DP also didn't go for that. We gave it to charity.
See, that's the kind of stuff that I don't like. I don't even like Bratz dolls and dolls that are similar to those and I'm adamant about anyone giving such toys to my DD as a gift.

I didn't buy these gymnast shorts in order to bring attention to my child's butt (she was 5 at that time) or to sexualize her. I thought they were cute and she asked for them and most importantly they were on sale. But I think because DH is a male and he has dated women in the past that he knows what guys are looking at so I will respect his opinion.

I won't be letting her wear them outside the house. I think she has pretty much forgotten about them anyway. I could probably slip them in to the next Goodwill bag or trash them. I'd rather trash them though since I don't want to pass them on to some other kid, kwim? Then the same argument might go on in another house. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.