Do you "make" your kids brush their teeth? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen View Post
Usually I'll read the other replies before posting mine, but this one is so clear cut there's no reason.

YES! You have to make your three-and-a-half year old child brush her teeth. And you have to make her sit in her carseat. And you might consider keeping her out of the path of oncoming vehicles. Even if she has opinions to the contrary. YOU'RE THE PARENT!!!

I think my position was clear, huh?
Maybe you should read my other posts on this thread. And yes I would consider keeping my DD out of the path of oncoming vehicles!!

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids started going to the dentist with me when they were infants and the practice was set up to be welcoming to kids. When they got their first teeth(at my reg appt.), the dentist would take a quick look, mostly in celebration with me but he would always throw in an observation of some sort. When they were big enough to sit in the chair with me he would count their teeth and depending on how it went he would either give them a toothbrush or brush their teeth for them and give them one. We never really had battles over this. My son went through a period of brushing 4-6 times a day! But he also loved the toothpaste so we had to dole that out - non fluoride, but expensive! we can eat a fruity treat instead.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 05-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachingona1 View Post
Maybe you should read my other posts on this thread. And yes I would consider keeping my DD out of the path of oncoming vehicles!!
I must have missed something impressive. Yes, I just went back and read your other posts on this thread and no, I don't change my stance, or my font size. Although I do bow to your higher crunchiness.

You are the parent. It's your job, even when it's unpleasant, to make your kid do the right thing.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
LOL I wasn't 'romanticizing'. I was speaking on behalf of brushing and flossing in modern society.

I love the pick and comment posting without comprehension. Clearly, you didn't even read the whole thread.

whatevah.
Clearly you failed to understand that I was only taking issue with the one statement suggesting that traditional societies with traditional diets were somehow immune to tooth decay.

I did read your whole post, and I did realize you were advocating brushing and flossing. My issue is with the idea that only diet and genetics cause tooth decay, as opposed to poor dental hygiene and bacteria, which seems to be a recurring idea on this thread.

So, "whatevah" right back at you.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Yes we require toothbrushing.

We don't have a problem getting them to do it. They love picking out their toothbrushes and choosing between two flavors of toothpaste.

But getting them to do it well and thoroughly is our challenge.

If they are super tired I will settle for their so-so brushing but most of the time dh or I has to intervene. We can usually make it fun but sometimes it's a struggle.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post

So, "whatevah" right back at you.

: Just your idea of romancing a people and my idea of such are different. "Perhaps ....would be moot..." is just not a stellar assertion of whether traditional peoples might have enjoyed brushing their teeth.

Stellar assertion and 'romance' would more be "Traditional peoples in traditional cutlures always had the most perfect teeth'.

But it's all good. We all love MDC and the polars, no? This thread's is Let The Baby Teeth Rot or Hold Child Down Until You See The Toothpaste Spit Flow Red With Blood.

There is nothing in between, ya know?

And I know you didn't say that.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
But I don't think most people are dealing with sensory issues. That's a whole different game then the most children. Heck I'm an obsessive tooth brusher (3 times a day, and whenever I leave the house) and when I was pregnant with dd I strived for once a day. My gag reflex was so bad it just wasn't worth it because I would throw up and then really not be able to brush.
The point was that if a child is screaming and fighting toothbrushing, it doesn't simply mean that the parent doesn't have enough authority which was the pp's implication. Many children have mild sensory issues. It isn't rare.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 05-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:

But it's all good. We all love MDC and the polars, no? This thread's is Let The Baby Teeth Rot or Hold Child Down Until You See The Toothpaste Spit Flow Red With Blood.

There is nothing in between, ya know?

Yeah I've been getting the feeling that there is no room on this thread for encouraging a child to brush, modelling good oral hygiene and getting their toothpaste and rinse glass ready for them.
It's A or B. The rest of the letters are up the coconut tree.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post

Yeah I've been getting the feeling that there is no room on this thread for encouraging a child to brush, modelling good oral hygiene and getting their toothpaste and rinse glass ready for them.
It's A or B. The rest of the letters are up the coconut tree.
Except for me...

I model, they love brushing and flossing, and will throw a fit if I don't let them, 4, 5, 6, and even 7 times a day, pretty much anytime we have a reason to go into the bathroom (Abigail is learning to use the toilet, and my washer and dryer are in there, so it's often).
I was being funny with my last post saying I have to make them stop brushing, but it'd kinda true.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM

OK, I just have to chime in here.

WHEN did anyone who said it was "non-negotiable" say they didn't try basic parenting techniques and compassionate strategies first???

To me its ASSUMED that we are all loving parents or we wouldn't be on this board. I don't know ANY parent who enjoys forcing a kid to do anything for the thrill of the battle.

The carseat analogy is a good one. Brushing teeth is WAY less traumatic than getting cavities filled, and its good health and hygiene plain and simple.

I feel like this thread started with a few people talking about how insignficant/not essential brushing is and that they let it slide if the kid doesn't want to do it. Then when the majority of posters chimed in that its very important to health, all of the sudden, the first posters turned it around and said that their kids DO brush their teeth, but they just don't beat them to a pulp to get it done.

The fact of the matter is, ALL parents (aside from psychos) want their children to be happy AND healthy. And we all tend to prefer the path of least resistance to meet that goal. But we are not going to shirk our job as parent and ignore hygiene and health, because we don't want to clash with our kiddo. In my case, DD doesn't love brushing but she has learned its not negotiable. She doesn't protest it for the most part, and we quickly get it done. I have a strong notion that if I had made it optional, it would be a major battle every night. Just a guess....

I find all the discussion about diet to be off topic, unless it is a suggestion for people who have cavity issues. I would think your first line of defense would be brushing and flossing. After that, if there is a serious cavity issue, then maybe dietary changes are a next resort. But they aren't really pertinent to the initial question asked by the OP.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM

There are few things I *make* my kids do. Brushing is one of them. I NEVER brushed my teeth as a kid, ever. Noone *made* me. I never had a cavity until my 20's, then woah! They started rotting out right and left. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy, let alone my children. I require brushing once a day, before bed. (Though if they wanna brush more, lol, that's ok! Sometimes they do.) If they want to stop when they are older, ok. Then when their teeth hurt they can blame themselves. But I vow they will NEVER say "My mother never made me brush and that's why I hurt so much now!" Ain't gunn'a happen.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
Well i try to stay out of these threads, as they are so mind boggling to me....but it was late and i was weak! Maybe not "shocked" but "saddened and dismayed" ?

:

Katherine

queenjane, I don't think anyone here holds an organic gun to their child's head. Why don't you be "saddeneed and dismayed" over real abuse, and not blow a gasket over those of us who "make" our 3 year old do something for their health.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:

There is a vast middle ground between never brushing one's teeth to sitting on someone's torso & shoving a toothbrush into their screaming, protesting mouth.

LOL. Ya think? I thought there were only those 2 choices.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
queenjane, I don't think anyone here holds an organic gun to their child's head. Why don't you be "saddeneed and dismayed" over real abuse, and not blow a gasket over those of us who "make" our 3 year old do something for their health.
You don't hold an organic gun to their heads? Crud. Here I have been going about my reign of terror the wrong way.

And, OT, I do not permit stank breath and furry teeth in my house. That means a minimum of 2 brushings a day, sometimes more in DS1's case.

And as a kid I literally ate sugar by the spoonfuls and never, ever brushed and had nary a cavity until I 26. So, I think its more genetics than diet, but then again, I'm also not into the WAPF line of thinking.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Just wanted to add that I am extremely diligent about brushing my teeth (2 -3 times a day), and it is very rare for me to not floss everyday. I also think I have a pretty healthy diet - and I still get cavities (more than my friends and family do). My dentist said that genetics plays a large role (how thick and porous the enamel is). Also I read somewhere that a certain percentage of the population has been inoculated with a bacteria that tends to cause more decay - hence trying not to share food/salvia with your baby (of course easier said than done).

I just really wouldn't want people to think that just because I get cavities I am eating Hostess cupcakes and drinking Mountain Dew all day.

We also have mandatory, twice a day teeth brushing. If my DD follows after me, I shudder to think how many cavities she would have if she didn't brush regularly.

Loving my DH and my two active little girls (9/06), (6/09). Anticipating a new bundle of joy (7/11).
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 AM

I was just at the dentist (holistic dentist) this evening getting two old fillings replaced.

I told him about this conversation.

He laughed and said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

dm
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 AM

I have distinct memories of hating to brush my teeth as a kid and my dad brushing them for me as I pouted. My teeth were always brushed twice a day and I intend to do the same with my DD. IMO it is a vital part of overall health and a non-negotiable thing. I eventually learned to do it myself and take good care of my teeth today. There are some things that kids just need to learn are "must do's" whether they like it or not.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 AM

I do think brushing and flossing is important and for the most part we do it twice a day (well we usually only floss in the morning). For my oldest and youngest it hasn't been a problem. But my middle child has always been more of a push the limits, see what happens if I do this kind of kid.

I found the best way to get him to brush with out a fight was to sometimes not let him brush his teeth. "Oh man you spent so long complaining and dragging your feet, there isn't time to brush your teeth tonight, now it is time for bed." When he was about 4 or 5, he probably got sent to bed without being allowed to brush his teeth once every month or so. It is kind of funny listening to your kid complaing about not being allowed to brush
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM

My issue is that ds wants to eat the toothpaste. He thinks it tastes good and I have to have long discussions about why we can't eat toothpaste. I don't have to force him to try to brush but I do have to force him to do a good job. We try to get them brushed everyday but sometimes if we're out really late and he's really sleepy I let it go.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM

My ds is made to brush his teeth every day. Most of the time he does it willingly enough but some days no. As for eating the toothpaste, they sell some that are safe for kids who will eat it (mine doesn't eat it). It is made by Oral B.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

I have horrible teeth; tons of cavities, crowns, missing teeth, etc. . . My parents never made me brush my teeth, so I rarely did it until I got around kissing age. Now I am adament about my children brushing their teeth. I help them brush every morning and every night. They also brush their teeth at school (all children are required to bring a toothbrush to school to brush after lunch). I'm so scared they are going to have teeth like mine. DD has already had two small fillings. I do think we probably eat too much sugar in our house, we are trying to remedy this. However, right now, they must brush!!! We've found that our children prefer the electric toothbrushes with characters on them and they like the Tom's Silly Strawberry without flouride. Also the Raffi song, Brush your Teeth, has worked wonderfully in our house to encourage brushing!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I have to MAKE them put the brush away cause they love brushing their teeth too much.
Oh, quit bragging
Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Basic hygiene is non-negotiable in our house.
Yup,

I don't know why people are envisioning us holding down, prying his mouth open, and shoving a toothbrush in. It's more like, it's time to brush let's head to the bathroom and work it out. For a long time I had a lot of success pretending I was finding animals in his mouth while I helped him brush. He thought it was hysterical and called his mouth "the farm".
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
Yup,

I don't know why people are envisioning us holding down, prying his mouth open, and shoving a toothbrush in.
Because that's what some people do (screaming was mentioned in this thread as was "it's either hold them down to brush or hold them down in the dentist chair").

What you do (working it out, pretending there are animals, etc) is not what I'd call forcing a child to brush. That's helping and making it fun, which is what I do. I also let him use swallowable toothpaste when he'd rather just sit in bed and brush.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM

I find that when my DS doesn't want to brush(too tired is the only time he says no)I say "ok if you don't want to brush and you think that's ok to not have clean teeth, then that's your choice"and then leave the room he almost always says, ok, I'll do it! When he's resisting I don't push the issue and he always responds better to any type of badgering(of course I've done that too with repeated oral health lectures, blah-blah,blah, that don't work).

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Reverse psychology.
I've used that for some things. Such as when Abigail wants water in her orange cup specifically, I give her exactly that, and she still throws a fit. I say, okay, I guess you don't want water then, and begin to put it away, and she comes running back for it ant will then take it and drink it.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 05-22-2008, 03:37 PM

i just read the op and i have to say i dont "make" mine brush their teeth either. they do use flouride toothpaste (except the baby) and they floss and use that listerine smart rinse for kids. they do it at least twice a day. they like to. they dont like having dirty teeth. they dont always use the rinse (oh well) but they like flossing. DSD who is 5 says her gums itch and she will go brush. the baby follows them in there and climbs up on the stool. her sisters will give her her toothbrush with a little water on it and she will chew on it. when her sisters spit out the toothpaste she will spit too. it is too cute.
the only one i am worried about is DS who is 12 and hates to brush. he has had a cavity before so i try to make it that it is his job to help the girls put the toothpaste on their toothbrushes (so they dont use too much). that helps with him. he also likes to watch the baby spit in the sink. he says it is funny.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.

User Tag List