pooping in the potty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 yr old will not poop in the potty - she says she is scared. She did it once and was really pleased w/ herself... but won't do it again. She pees in the toilet and rarely has an accident, although she's still wet after naps and overnight.

Anyone else been here? I don't want to bribe her like some moms I know around here who give them candy if they go... although I did tell her we'd celebrate by going somewhere special once she decides to poop in the toilet.

Somebody else suggested having her sit on the toilet while wearing a diaper to get used to how that feels, but she just won't do it.

I know she is capable of doing it on the toilet - she knows when she's about to go and asks for a diaper - but she's not ready emotionally, I guess. When I asked her why she's scared, she says she is scared to see the poop in the potty, but I don't think that's really it because she sees it when I dump it off her diaper into the toilet...

Is this just something to wait out completely, or is there anything I can do to encourage her? I'd like her to be able to go to a MMO program one day a week in the fall, and they don't want to change poopy diapers there - and hers are just plain nasty lately, sorry if that's tmi!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Is it a big potty or a little potty? If a big one, maybe buy her a little one - My 2yo son will only poop in his Baby Bjorn potty - it's a perfect size for him.

Otherwise, consider letting her pick out one herself - or a potty seat for the big potty with the design of her choice or new undies or something special. You could let her pick one new pair of undies from the pack after each successful poop.

Once she goes a few times, it will probably start feeling more natural, but I'm sure she is in her comfort zone pooping in her diaper and pooping is a bigger deal than peeing, or it has been with both of my kids. It takes more concentration and effort than peeing - heck I still don't like to poo in public places (Yeah, TMI - I know).

I'd consider the bribes - maybe not candy, but something important to her and maybe something indicative of her being a big girl now, like the new undies or something else she's been wanting. A "special outing" is too remote for a 3yo, IMO, but if you decide where to go and talk that up, it might be ok - sit down and give her a few choices and let HER decide where to do, perhaps, to give her a feeling of control over the situation.

Good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 05-18-2008, 02:24 AM

Pooping on potty is a toughie.

My DD just did it one day totally on her own after we gave up on trying to get her to do it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page