When did your child start riding a two wheeler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dd is a pretty tall 3 1/2 year old. Is she too young for a two-wheeler? I could get her a trike, but I think by next year she'll be ready for a two-wheeler with training wheels.

Any bike suggestions?

Thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM

My kids were in two wheelers with training wheels at 3 and we took the training wheels off at around 4.5.

We always got cheap bikes from walmart or target. But, I would try craigslist. Kids are so hard on bikes, I wouldn't spend a lot until they're ready to move up to the next size which is the bike they will keep for a lot longer than their starter bike.
#3 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I would start with a 12" two-wheeler with training wheels. My DS had his first two wheeler at 2 1/2 and did fine with it. He had a Trek, can't remember how much we paid, I guess around $100.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM

My ds taught himself how to ride a two wheeler at age 9. My dd insisted we take her training wheels off at age 7. She now refuses to ride her bike or let us put the training wheels on.

I was 10 and I think dh was 9.

We are a family of late bloomers.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#5 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM

both my boys learned to ride a two wheeler with training wheels a couple of weeks after their 2nd birthday. My ODS started riding without training wheels about 2 months after his 4th birthday.

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#6 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM

my son also was on one w/training wheels at 3. He is 4.5 and still uses them, we will work on that this summer, we are in no hurry to remove them, I want him to feel confident using the brakes and on bumpy terrain first. We actually baought a good bike from a bike shop around $140 but at its lowest it fit him and he can use it untill 6 or 7years old.
#7 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
We always got cheap bikes from walmart or target. But, I would try craigslist. Kids are so hard on bikes, I wouldn't spend a lot until they're ready to move up to the next size which is the bike they will keep for a lot longer than their starter bike.
What size bike is the size they'll keep for a while? I saw a sale on a nice 16" that I thought of saving for DS for Christmas... is that size worth buying new? I know it's too big for DS now, but it might fit him by December...

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#8 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Do you mean with training wheels or without? DD started riding one with training wheels around 2 1/2 - but she's quite tall for her age.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#9 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 PM

I'm getting my 3 year old a two wheeler with training wheels this weekend. She does great on her tricycle and is definitely ready to move up to something else.
#10 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 PM

We skipped the training wheels and I TOTALLY recommend it. When he turned 3, we bought a 12" bike and just left off the pedals and training wheels. DS rode around for a couple of months (pushing with his feet, and gliding) and then we put the pedals on and he took off it was such an easy transition and hardly any falling

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM

I got my oldest a 16" bike with training wheels at 3.5 and he had the training wheels off a couple months shy of 4.5.
My littlest is almost 2.5 and started riding a 2-wheeler with training wheels yesterday. I know he'll have the training wheels off by next summer. He has a 12" bike which makes a big difference.
#12 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM

My kids are 6 & 8 and we don't have a good place to ride a bike here, and at daddy's, he's such an overdramatic wuss I think they will always be terrified of riding with out training wheels

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#13 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
We skipped the training wheels and I TOTALLY recommend it. When he turned 3, we bought a 12" bike and just left off the pedals and training wheels. DS rode around for a couple of months (pushing with his feet, and gliding) and then we put the pedals on and he took off it was such an easy transition and hardly any falling
Yeah, we're currently borrowing DS's friend's 12" balance bike. He can already run on it and kick up his feet and glide. His friend (3 1/2) is riding a 14" 2 wheeler with no training wheels already. We're hoping to skip training wheels, too!

#14 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM

My kids did it early, but they are on the taller side and we have always had a "bike riding" driveway if you know what I mean.

Ds was 3 in June and we took his training wheels the following July..

Dd was 4 in October, and we just took hers off the following April.....

They both were riding a 12 inch bike at the time. I think they both got their bikes with training wheels at age 2... ds took right off and dd was very wobbly and hesitant on it.. last summer and fall she really gained confidence, and this spring she was ready.... Ds rode his 12 inch bike without training wheels for a whole year before we got him a 16in.... dd is just a wee bit tall for her 12in, so we ended up searching and finding a 14in which is just the right size. I wanted to buy a 16in but it was way too big and heavy for her.
#15 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 PM

My 5 year old just got her training wheels taken off last week, but she started with them at around 4 or a little before. It seems like all of my kids started to learn to pedal late. My 3 year old can't do it at all yet, so we'll even have to wait on a trike.
#16 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD1 was riding a 12in bike with training wheels at 2y, we took off the training wheels when she was 4.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 PM

My dd started riding a 14" two wheeler without training wheels last summer at 3 1/2. She was very determined. She practiced on one of those balance bikes that we got at Target ( similar to the taking the pedals of the bike) and was riding in a matter of weeks.

She is riding that bike again this summer(all we had to do was adjust the seat height).
#18 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 12:05 AM

I think the size of the bike is so important. My 2 1/2 year old just started pedaling on the trike and big wheel. He has a 12" with training wheels and I think it feels very "high" to him. My 5 1/2 year old is just trying with no training wheels and it is difficult for him. He is really comfortable with his training wheels and has done lots of riding on this bike. By the end of the summer, I can see him taking off on with no training wheels.
#19 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatermom View Post
What size bike is the size they'll keep for a while? I saw a sale on a nice 16" that I thought of saving for DS for Christmas... is that size worth buying new? I know it's too big for DS now, but it might fit him by December...
My daughter is 5.5 and she JUST fits a 16" bike. Is this for you child born in '05? Unless they are a very tall child I don't think a 16" is what you are looking for. There isn't really any size that they will keep for awhile. You just have to go by what size is comfortable and reassess in the future.

My children were riding two wheelers with training wheels at 3. My son started riding without training wheels at age 5 and my daughter at age 4.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#20 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
I think if you wait until they are reading there won't be too much falling either way. When we took the training wheels off my son fell maybe twice and my daughter about the same.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#21 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
My daughter is 5.5 and she JUST fits a 16" bike. Is this for you child born in '05? Unless they are a very tall child I don't think a 16" is what you are looking for. There isn't really any size that they will keep for awhile. You just have to go by what size is comfortable and reassess in the future.
Oh, thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I guess I'll hold off on the 16". I know it's really difficult to ride a bike that's too big!

#22 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM

I do not do training wheels and if my kids didn't want to bike on two wheels they were free to tricycle around or use a two wheel scooter.

My son started riding a 12" bike at 2 years 4 months. My daughter started riding a 12" bike at 3 years 10 months. At that time she was 42" and could fit on many 16" bikes if the seat was down even with the tire, but found them too bulky. At about 4 years 4 months I got her a used aluminum Specialized Hotrock 16" and both of them can ride it nicely. I am looking for a lightweight aluminum frame bike for my son in a 16" wheel (they don't sell good quality bikes with 14" tires in the U.S.) used or may cave and buy one new. He is 40" but he is a very good rider and does not need the security of being able to get both feet flat on the ground.

Get an aluminum bike if you can. The little ones benefit from a lightweight bike, as will you lifting it in and out of your car etc.
#23 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM

We have a 16" bike with training wheels for my super tall 5-year-old. He outgrew the trike, but has neurological balance and muscle tone issues, so we went with the trainers. It will be a while before they come off. Living on a gravel road doesn't make learning any easier either.
#24 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM

We also skipped the training wheels, and just started learning on a really small two wheeler. (12 inches).

She first learned to balance it while pushing with her feet. Then by a little after her fourth birthday, she was riding all over the place.

In this neighborhood, the kids play in the street. Not in the yards, so most of the kids learn to ride a two wheeler by their fourth birthday. I think the fact that they have such a good road to practice on helps.

To learn though, the kids must be able to easily put both feet on the ground without tipping from side to side.
#25 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
he's such an overdramatic wuss I think they will always be terrified of riding with out training wheels
LMBO!
#26 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Ds 1 learned to ride without training wheels at 4.5. I thought that was amazing. Then my youngest learned a few months before he turned 4.

I think it depends on the size of the bike (can their feet touch the ground?), coordination, balance, and willingness to learn.
#27 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

I've never heard of a correlation between reading and riding a two-wheeler. I could read at 3 but couldn't ride a two-wheeler until I was 8....my older DD can't read yet but was riding a two-wheeler at 4.5.

We also used a balance bike - she rode that for a summer and then hopped on a two-wheeler and knew just what to do. IMHO a bike with training wheels is just like a big tricycle - it's hard to learn balance that way.

DD2 has the balance bike now but has no interest in lifting up her feet to do any balancing, LOL.....

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page