Sept 04 mamas - summer thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 202 Old 07-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen - Congrats on the Boy! I think two of the same is a fun prospect, for some reason.

Kristen - been thinking about you a lot.

Jilly - good to have you back!! Sounds like you do need a break.

I've been MIA lately. Robin is making me nuts - on a streak of none-too-thrilling behavior. Eli is now 16 months, and won't say a word. He has the requisite 7 words that put him within the range of "normal" (if you count "uh-oh" and "s'that?" as words), but otherwise just grunts and points. The headbanging is getting better, though.

I'm freaking out a bit about working 3 days a week as of the end of august, and starting law school at the same time. But I'm not doing anything to get ready for it until i finish reading "Animal, vegetable, Miracle" - it's like my last hurrah of for-pleasure reading before i put my nose back to the gridstone - but I'm only getting a few pages read each day, so it's taking forever.
#62 of 202 Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Becca, I've been wondering how you will 'do it all' this fall.... When you HAVE to be organized, you are. Less time actually equals more done, because you have no wiggle room.

Isn't it odd, but the older sibs (our almost-4 year olds) continue to need the most attention?!! It sure seems to be a common theme for our group. I guess the hard part is that they can talk, walk and do quite a few things for themselves, but emotionally they are still 'babies,' I guess. Or jealous. Or something. I don't know, but I sure feel better when I realize that you guys have tough streaks with your kids also.

Jen, my next dishwasher (yes, I am going to keep Sears in business) is going to be an Electrolux. They are made in St. Cloud and they are awesome!! I can justify spending a little more b/c they are made right at the little factory we drive by on our way into town. My mother is also an Electrolux nut. s Actually, she's getting all of us an expensive vacuum for xmas, she already decided. I feel like such an American- I've never had all this suburban 'stuff' before!!

Jilly, how much does Aaron talk? Becca, Carl only uses 'dee,dee' (that means a lot of things) 'ba-cat' (bobcat, duh) and 'baba!' (papa). He can grunt out 'mama' or 'nana' sort of, on request b/c Cecilia is trying to 'teach' him to talk by making him deaf saying 'mama! SAY MAMA!' Darn those goofy Amanda & Oliver Pig books!

Heather, when did speech come for your boys?! Slowly, if I remember correctly...?! Just wondering.

Jen & Ashley, I am excited for your new kiddos. : I can't wait to hear name ideas.

Ashley, when are you moving? Did you find a house or are you renting? It was really disheartening to watch Exxon play politics and win in Supreme court this spring. Alaskans have been having interesting (yet very simplistic) talk about the decision on the online newspaper comments. Of course they wanted to know how their elected officials could turn on them... well....

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#63 of 202 Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Becca ~ Law school! I am a little jealous -- and I also think you are a little crazy! I am the geek who LOVES to listen to the Supreme Court Justice nomination hearings! Nobody is allowed to speak to me when they are on.

Meg ~ I have that expensive Electrolux vacuum and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It was worth every penny. I refused to vacuum before we bought that one because our last one was so loud and heavy. Zeke called the vacuum Dada when he was a baby because I never vacuumed! Yeah for your super duper mower!

Sounds like all these near-four-year olds are pushing us to our limits. Zeke still doesn't realize that he is not the baby of the family. He takes so much of my time and energy. Yesterday, it was pouring rain here all day, so we decided to go to the Automobile Museum, which is literally five minutes from our house. Four kids plus my wretched mother into the car in the pouring rain. Pull up to the museum, parking lot is full, and I assume this means that lots of other people have the same idea. Four kids and wretched mother out of the car in the pouring rain. We walk into the entrance and are kindly informed that they are closed to change the exhibition. Hey, do you think you could put a notice in the paper or put a sign out in the parking lot?????? Customer service anyone??? So Zeke proceeded to have a melt down. When I finally got him in the car he said, "I am really mad at those people. I should shoot them!" : I'm raising a school shooter or a future postal worker.

I am feeling very well, considering. I decided not to have the lumbar puncture (which is a diagnostic tool) because I just don't think it is safe, I don't know this neurologist well and I would want a second opinion first. So, I have an appointment with the neurologist a week from today to follow up on the other tests I had. Meanwhile, I have been very strict with the diet and am definitely seeing a reduction in symptoms. The weird eye glitch is gone. The electric current feeling throughout my body is gone. The tingling in my legs and arms is gone. I am still having cognitive problems, mostly fogginess, and headaches, but it IS better, and I am more focused on creating systems to help deal with it. I truly believe continuing on the diet will heal the lesions in my brain and that I can totally eliminate the symptoms over time.

Oh, and about said wretched mother? She has been here for three days and has not one asked me about MS and what is going on with me. HHHMMMM. So there is a legitimate reason for me to feel like I don't really have a mother! She is a nurse, and I think she is pissed that I am not treating this pharmaceutically. I think she secretly hopes that I don't get better with the diet so that she can be right. Give me strength . . . .

K
#64 of 202 Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Kristen -- glad to hear your symptoms are lessening. Sounds brutal. Zeke and Andrew sound a lot the same -- he also refuses to go to the bathroom by himself, and has a screaming fit every time he has to do anything at all by himself.

Meg -- Congrats of the ride-on lawn mower. And I long for a vaccum that actually picks things up off the floor rather than just swirly them around and dropping them somewhere else in the house.

Ashley -- I hope things are going better for you. When I heard the Exxon thing was not going through I thought of you and wondered what you guys were going to do. Hope Tony's arm is feeling better.

Becca -- you always have an amazing list of things you are involved in and you always seem to pull it off without a hitch. I'm sure law school and part time work will be the same.

Aaron has a ton of words, and he's enunciating really clearly for some of them. The other day Dh and the two boys picked up supper at the grocery store, and I was downstairs, and I hear this call of "supper!", and I look up the stairs and it is Aaron calling! He can also say "Daddy"really clearly (go figure) and he also says: dog, mtrbike (motorbike), nurrrs, othersi(de -- ie- other boob -- sigh), Adew, Aaron, me, cat, pat, bike, go, park, shovel, boot, shoos, on, off, outside, mommy, bath, shirt, nose, mouth, ears, eyes, knees, hands, feet, duck, guy (his favorite word right now), cup, fork, cereal, milk, nectadine (nectarine, my favorite), lunch . . . and a few more I'm forgetting. He also has a few two word phrases already -- "Aaron go" and "go outside " and "my guy, my milk, my cup", etc, etc. Yesterday he said his first phrase -- Aaron go to park -- when we asked him (faseciously) what his favorite part of the day had been. I think he's going to be really competitive, though, becuase he tries to do everything Andrew does -- only better -- and so it would follow that he puts a lot of energy into talking becuase thats what Andrew does best of all.

Its funny, because after I posted about Andrew not throwing that many tantrums, i went through a few days with that at the back of my mind. I realized that its not that he doesn't throw tantrums . . .its just that they've become the constant background noise to my day, so I just don't notice them anymore. He seriously has a tiny fit every time he has to put on or take off any item of clothing, or go to the bathroom by himself, or we refuse any request or Aaron irritates him or someone or something doesn't follow the mysterious plan he has in his head for how his day should go. But as soon as he actually does the thing he was anxious about, the noise goes away and he goes on with his day just fine, so I have just accepted that this is just part of having a very vocal, easily frustrated perfectionist in the house.

I second that we commense the discussion of names for Ashley and Jen's babies.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#65 of 202 Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

ok, knock your bad selves out.

We are looking for a German, Welsh, Irish, Scottish or British name.

Must fit with the middle name Wesley.

Anything in the top 100 of the Social Security Administration Names List is right out.

About the only name we have agreed that we like at this point is Eamon. We also like Rory but I think Rory Wesley sounds goofy.

Apologies in advance, but I had a student named Patrick (one of her favorite names, she wants to call him Paddy) who was a real , and I refuse to name a child that. Likewise, she thinks the name Nigel is only for sissies, try telling that to international rugby referee Nigel Owens. :

Also, while we like the name Angus, it immediately conjures up images of herds of large black cattle, so that's a scratch, too. And besides, it would mean our kids would be T & A, which is either absolutely horrible or gives you a snide giggle, depending on your sense of humor.

Oh, and Jo has also nixed Rhys. : (Welsh, pronounced like 'Reece')

Talk amongst yourselves.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#66 of 202 Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM

Ooohh...fun. I love Rhys and Rory. Nigel does sound a bit nerdy, IMHO Wesley is a great name too!
#67 of 202 Old 07-25-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
Wesley is a great name too!
Wesley is my uncle.

#68 of 202 Old 07-28-2008, 04:15 AM

Meg -- We are moving late August. I can't believe that's only like 3 weeks away. Your lawnmower sounds sweet. You must have a lot of lawn to mow!

Jen -- I really like the name Erik. That's what we would have named this baby if it were a boy. Erik Wesley is pretty nice together, too. I also *adore* the name Anders. That was actually my first boy name choice but Anna and Anders are way too similar. Other thoughts: Nils, Lars, Peter, Conor, Kyle. Oh, and I'll look for you in the Nov DDC! I don't post there a ton, but I do lurk a lot. I also lurk in the Oct DDC because my due date is Nov 1st, so I wonder if I'll be an Octoberer.

Our current favorite for this baby is Sonja Margaret. Margaret is my grandmother's name. I also really like Sonja Aurora, though, but it sounds a little sing-songy. We both like Evelyn, but it doesn't "fit" so well with Thor & Anna. At least not as well as Sonja, I think. I also love that Sonja is a very old Viking name.

I'm suddenly feeling much bigger and more uncomfortable. Even though I've really been feeling great, it's like the past couple days I'm like, woah, my belly is heavy, and I still have 3 more months to go! I also kinda have heartburn now.

Anna is weaned and potty trained, all within the space of about a week!! She's like, super toddler or something. She is amazing. As long as she's diaperless, and even sometimes if she's wearing loose pants, she runs to the potty on her own, announcing, "ANNA, PEE!" And she goes in there and goes. It's awesome. She also does this hilarious robot dance. She says a ton of words, in two and three word sentences. I have to post some pictures, she's just such a sweet curly blonde-haired girl.

Hugs to everyone!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#69 of 202 Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Jen -- I like Erik. Or what about Aiden -- is that popular right now? Or Ethan (I think that is pretty popular right now). My nefew-in-law is named Eamon and I like that, too. And then he could always be named after the theologian -- John Wesley.

AShley - Anna sounds amazing! Aaron is totally not potty trained. He goes in fits and starts -- when I put him in underwear he pees every 15 min, but then in a diaper he'll be dry for an hour or more, and then when I take his diaper off he'll go and pee in Andrew's room. Thats his favorite spot to pee, actually. When put on the potty he laughs and runs away. What a goof.

I like Sonja, its really pretty.

Andrew is in a real snit latey -- he refuses to do everything I ask him to do and does the opposite. Then when I correct him he says "Don't talk to me like that, mommy. tHat's not nice." Arg.

Dh is gone on his yearly motorcycle trip. He left last night and drove through a huge rain storm -- he said that his rain pants were shredded by the wind, and I'm just hearing that 5 or 6 tornados touched down last night across the province. Crazy man.

#70 of 202 Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
Jen -- I like Erik. Or what about Aiden -- is that popular right now? Or Ethan (I think that is pretty popular right now).
Aidan is the little *@#! at T's preschool who hits, bites, spits and teaches the other kids phrases like "you smell like a butt". So I think Aidan/Aiden are out, too.

Ashley, I have to say no to Kyle, along with Matt, John, Rob, David, Dietmar, Brent, Steven and Joshua... ex-boyfriends

#71 of 202 Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 AM

Augs - Sonja (with the J) - i dig it! I like Aurora - I don't think it's sing-songy. Margaret is my mom's name, and we were thinking about a version of it for a middle name if we had a girl #2 (like Margaritte (sp.) or Magritte like the artist)

Jen - Griffin! Garrick/Garreth, Owen, Seth/Seith, Rees (if jo doesn't like the spelling), Kai/Cai, Elian, Morgan. I knew a Garrick who was a really great guy.

Right now, my kids are the best birth control ever. just the thought of having another makes my skin crawl - after a day of Eli throwing all. our. stuff. on the ground - including emptying the trash can, carrying the recycling bin around the house and throwing items all over the place, climbing on the dining table and emptying robin's collage box (including feathers and sequins) on the floor, not to mention EVERY peice of food i offered him all day (except the raisins). It's fun to brainstorm names for you guys' kids!
#72 of 202 Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Ashley, I have to say no to Kyle, along with Matt, John, Rob, David, Dietmar, Brent, Steven and Joshua... ex-boyfriends

I'm glad you all like Sonja! We were also thinking of Astrid, but for some reason it's not my favorite now.

#73 of 202 Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post

I'm glad you all like Sonja! We were also thinking of Astrid, but for some reason it's not my favorite now.
I really like Astrid, it's such a cool name, but Sonja Margaret sounds really nice- especially with Thor and Anna. Thor, Anna & Sonja. Wait. You could easily do Thor, Anna & Astrid. Ohh, cute!!

Jen- I love Erik. It's just cool. John Wesley is pretty neat also, but Tristan and John?!! Not sure. Tristan & Erik sounds good, how about Wesley for a first name?!! Boys names are hard. Oh, I like Kai also, but mainly because I totally connect it with Kai Ryssdal from Marketplace. How about Ira?! Ira Glass, of course.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#74 of 202 Old 07-29-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
Jen- I love Erik. It's just cool. John Wesley...
No! Sorry! Can't do John! Can't name child with same name as ex-bf! Sorry!

I love the name Wesley, and I've never met a Wes I didn't like, but my uncle is still very much alive and it just feels weird to me to give a kid a first name of someone who is still alive. Middle name, sure, but not first. I don't know why, it's strange, and I'm not even Jewish (I know that's a common taboo in naming Jewish kids, to name them after people who are still alive), but there it is.

I like Kai too, but it seems really trendy in the Waldorf circles (starting to push up there with Indigo and Sage) and it's too much alliteration with my last name.

It's not the spelling of Rhys that Jo doesn't like, it's just the name.

Ashley I like Sonja. And I think it works with Aurora, even. I'm glad to have cracked you up with the ex-bf remark. If we were having a girl, it would have been easier... I only have one ex-gf, and Jo's two exes had the same name (kind of creepy!), and they all start with 'K' so they get the big alliteration thumbs down, too.

Oh, eventually, he will get a name...

#75 of 202 Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM

Nice to know I'm not the only one who 's Kai and ira (glass and rissdal, that is). Dh and I plan our drive home on Sunday night from the river around "This American Life"
#76 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Well, hello mama's . I've visited this thread a time or two but I'm going to join you all now.

I read through a little bit but I'll just have to keep up from here on out.

Anyways, just a quick intro...

My Sept. '04 baby is my dd Jaden born on the 28th. She was my first...I'm due with my third in October.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

BTW. I really like the name Nigel and I don't think it sounds sissy at all - I think of a strong, sensitive person.

I do love the name Wesley.
#77 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 AM

Welcome, Janasmama! I am also due with my third around Halloween, my first is my Sept 04 baby, then Anna, June 06, and now our last, probably another girl. Jump right in!

Today suddenly the name Maeve came to me and all day I've been thinking about how much I love it.

Jen, what about the name Leif? It could be pronounced either "Leaf" or "Layf"

#78 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ashley, Leif is nice. very scandinavian, but nice. I had a student Leif who is going into 8th grade, but he's a very likable kid. Only drawback is that no one seems to be sure how to pronounce it... my student is 'layf', I had one when I student taught who was 'leaf' and I've also heard 'life'. But I'm tucking that one into the back of my head.

Maeve! Lovely. Very Irish.

I've been stuck on the name Riordan (pronounced like 'reardan') lately. Of course it's been nixed by my darling spouse : but I still can't shake it.

#79 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post

I've been stuck on the name Riordan (pronounced like 'reardan') lately. Of course it's been nixed by my darling spouse : but I still can't shake it.
If you REALLLY like it, just name him without Jo. That's my total plan for my #3rd- wait until Greg leaves and name the kid. 'Cause Greg is a big nixer but not a big contributer.

Oh here, I'll kill Nigel for you- its the name of our Rottweiler. He's a likeable dog, though! I frequently mix Carl and Nigel up, so I had even mentioned just calling the next kid Nigel, since the dog Nigel is getting pretty old. Nigel is named for the Primus song, of course.

I love the name Leif. I think you are probably right about the popularity of Kai.

Welcome Janasmama!! You'll have lots to talk about with us if you are having a baby this fall also.

And btw, I have managed to tta successfully for another month!! Every month I cut it a little closer and pay less and less attention, but have still tta, so now I am probably getting pretty falsely confident. Or else I'm a FAM genius. Probably not. Everyone around me is busy growing #4 in my neck of the woods.

#80 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Dude, Becca, you've got to update your blog!!! Post some pictures of those adorable children.

#81 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

I have totally been thinking all week about updating my sad, neglected blog - but I'll have to do it after the kids are abed...

Welcome jannasmama!!

I'm paying a babysitter friday to take my kids away so i can clean. I am a desparate woman.
#82 of 202 Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Ugh, paying a babysitter to clean...I would feel totally cheated. I'd much rather do something fun.
#83 of 202 Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM

Meg - Blog updated! Well, 2 new posts in 18 months...

Janasmama - TELL me about it. I'm probably paying the sitter more than i would pay a housekeeper to come. but it's an investment in my sanity.

Speaking of insanity - I complained to my mother about my state, and she offered to come stay next week....and i took her up on it. this will either go very well, or VERY badly.
#84 of 202 Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Guess who has created, printed, copied, cut, pinked (is that a word for using pinking shears?), glued, addressed and stamped birthday party invites already? ME!!

I've also already booked the location, figured out the time/events/theme, etc. Nothing as fancy as it sounds - i reserved the pavilion at a nearby playground, and we're doing an early-evening picnic. I couldn't face the possibility of having people at my house this year - this is our first party away from home. In leiu of favors/lootbags, we're going to have an art project that is a take-home (I'm hoping I can find materials for making magic wands the kids anc paint and glue, but if not we'll do paint-a-pot and send everyone home with a bag of seeds). She wants a Unicorn cake, and since target had Abby Cadabby tableclothes on clearance, we're calling it a "unicorns and fairies" party.

My cheesy invitation poem:

Robin is such a monkey;
She loves to climb and play!
She hopes that you will
come play, too,
On her special day!

Robin H*** is turning four!
She thought it would be a lark
If you could come to her party:
A cookout at the park!
#85 of 202 Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

you are so on top of it I could almost despise you if I didn't like you so much.

T wants to have his birthday party at the local bowling alley. That would be a riot, I think - a whole buncha 4-year-olds?!

#86 of 202 Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 AM

at least you have parties! we have never thrown a bday party with a whole bunch of little kids....ever. i can't afford it although i think it would be fun and i think it would be a total waste on ethan....when ayla gets to 3 she may like it but for now....ugh. ethan does good enough with blowing out a candle on our bday day for all the kids in playgroup.
#87 of 202 Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM

Way to go Becca! J really wants a party this year....she's been talking about it on a weekly basis since January.

Her favorite thing to do is play dress up so she really wants it to be a dress up princess party. I've only done two other b-day parties for her. I'm not into the big, lots of kids parties. We invite about 4-6 friends and that makes it affordable and for her it seems like something big.

I typically spend somewhere btwn 60-80 dollars and then if it's a tight month the party is her gift. The county fair comes in Sept, the week of her b-day so last year she had the option of going to the fair or having a party. She chose the fair. This year I think we'll do both.

If anyone has any good ideas for fun 'princess' food please share them.
#88 of 202 Old 08-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Last year was our first party for Andrew -- we had 3 families come over, which was plenty of kids for my spirited boy to handle, and enough plastic added to our household stock. But I think I might have offended a bunch of people that I didn't invite, because that was the beginning of my social decline around here. But seriously, was I doing a birthday party for my son, or to make the ladies in my town feel good? The former, I think. We had self-serve burritos and chocolate cake and they played in the sand box and made and knocked over towers made of orange boxes. The food was supposed to be an outside picnic, but it rained, so I just lay out blankets in the living room instead. Really classy event. As usual I failed to be culturally appropriate and tried to serve burritos and chocolate cake without cutlery and then everyone wanted forks and I didn't have enough and I spent a bunch of time washing forks . . . it was ridiculous.

This year we'll do the same -- have four or five families over and eat outside. I'm going to make the "Wall of Sound" from The Creative Family (has anyone else read that book yet? Really amazing stuff in there) -- ie hang noisy things to bang from our swing set -- and we might tie dye t-shirts or playsilks for the activity / take home thing. I figure that shouldn't be too steep -- home made cake, finger foods, playsilks, dye and we're done. Also, my friend is unloading her plastic workbench and tools on me, so I'm going to buy that for Andrew for his birthday, I think (which will be about $20, I'm guessing). My ILs always just send money, so I'll have to figure out what to get from them while we're away. I'm sure I"ll be able to find some cool Playmobil or maybe some Plan stuff for him from them.

We've survived pretty well with DH away for the week, although Andrew did have a huge meltdown last night. I think that was because we were at the park with my friends and they had some snack mix stuff with cheezies and cheese doritos that Andrew ate, so I think he had a sore tummy.

On a sort or random note, related to names, Andrew has really embraced his name lately. His name means "Brave Beloved"and we told him that being brave doesn't mean you're not scared, it just means you try things even when you are scared. In the last few weeks he's been trying all kinds of things, and yesterday he went on a floating dock and a swinging bridge -- both of which he's formerly been terrified to do). When he does them he says, "How come I"m brave? Because I'm Brave Beloved". Its really cool.

#89 of 202 Old 08-02-2008, 02:24 PM

Are many of you allowing your child to go to preschool this fall? I think I'm going to let dd go 2 half days per week. That's all we can afford plus I want to transition her slowly.

I use to be anti-preschool but with a new baby on the way and an under 2 yo. I don't feel like I can give/do all that I want her to be able to do as far as art projects, etc. Plus she's really social. Every night before bed she asks "where are we going tomorrow?" and we just don't have that much to do around here.
#90 of 202 Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM

"princess food" - robin went to a princess birthday party a few months ago that was 3 girls (plus birthday girl and her sister) - it was a drop-off and leave party, although i stayed b/c i was bringing Robin's friend who has a severe peanut allergy, so I stayed to monitor food. the Party consisted of one little craft project, playing dress-up in the girl's room, eating pizza (1 from a local shop) and cake. It was on a friday afternoon - very small and simple. Her "princess" food was a half-circle cake with a doll shoved in the middle. the cake was baked in a pyrex bowl then inverted like a half circle. then a barbie-type doll was shoved in the middle and the whole thing (including the doll) was iced like a princess dress - very cute and special. Ohm and the mom decorated a barstool as a princess chair and took each girl's picture in her dressup sitting on the "throne"

Preschool: I went back to work part-time when robin was 1, and put her in a PMO program while i worked. She loved it, and we've done preschool since. She went 3 mornings a week at 2 (this was also when we were in china/back from china/Eli was a newborn). Last year, we had moved and enrolled late, and ended up only being able to find a 5-day spot. We took it, but really it was too much for us - too many rushed mornings. i worked M/T/Th, so she had to go those days, but she missed a lot of Fridays.

This year, she'll be attneding the fantastic cooperative, nature-based, waldorf and reggio-influenced preschool where I teach, 9-12:45. She's elgible for the public pre-K (sept 1 birthday! - the cutoff day), but it runs longer - til around 3 - and that is too much for her still. We're in a great district and the pre-k is great. But I want her to stay in a small, nurturing, cooperative school and benefit from that sense of community.

We just had our first preschool workday as parents - painting her classroom, staining wooden furniture, building planting boxes for gardening activities....I'm looking forward to her being there! I know preschool isn't for every family, and if I had it to do again I would not have put her in the school she was in in the US when she was 2. But the other schools she's been in have been great, creative, play-based, totoally non-academic, etc. - and she loves it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page