Sept 04 mamas - summer thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's amazing some of the things kids come up with.

The other day, David informed me that he needed to go outside to pee. I asked him why. He replied "I want to pee like the dogs." I had a hard time not laughing at him. I gently explained that peeing outside was only allowed when a toilet wasn't handy.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 AM

That's okay, Jaden is now eating her food off her plate like a dog.
#123 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I'm glad David hasn't tried that one yet. LOL!

#124 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
The other day, David informed me that he needed to go outside to pee.
T is obsessed with peeing outside. Is it a male thing? A territory marking thing?

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#125 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Lukas is pretty much a fulltime dog! We have food and water dish on the floor. And somehow each morning (and several times a day) he requires me to "drive" to the shelter to buy him. He walks around on all 4's and last night we played fetch...
#126 of 202 Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
T is obsessed with peeing outside. Is it a male thing? A territory marking thing?
Nope, Robin is an avid outside pee-er. I blame it on a few factors:
1) China, where children are potty trained on the sidewalk, and I wasn't willing to pay for a 2-year-old to use a hole in the ground when the same ground is outside for free.
2) the amount of time we spend in the woods w/ no potty
3) my laziness and unwillingness to take 2 small children to public toilets or carry a toilet everywhere.

I'd just as soon help her pee outside than deal with her and Eli trying to touch every gross thing in store bathrooms. But now she's insisting on peeing outside by *herself* which is very different for girls than boys... She does like to pick what she's going to pee on. Today it was rocks.

Sarah!!! Thanks for the encouragement. You're my grad-school hero!:

Augs - that is hilarious. Robin talks about me pushing out Eli "like poop" (since she got to witness it - and from the "Welcome with Love" book which has a profile view of the head coming out)

I love Lukas' commitment to the pretend play. And that he's a shelter dog!

Robin's party is this coming Saturday. MIL is coming to town to help me get ready for it (not that it's so much, I'm just losing my mind at the moment). I did buy the favor/activity: I got start and heart wooden "magic wands" from Hobby lobby and items to decorate them with (glue, sparkly confetti, glitter paint). SO the kids can decorate their wand at the party and take it home for their favor.

gotta hit the hay!
#127 of 202 Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

I hate how absolutely violent I feel when I don't get a good night's sleep because I wake up to my son kicking me in my back. Twice. It feels bad to want to put him in his room, lock his door, and go lay down in bed with earplugs in. And today we will go to my mom's house which normally cheers me up because she will play with him but all I can think about is that her house has this odd combination smell of old cigarette smoke and some kind of perfume or fabric softener which always gives me a headache, and that she's always running cold so she won't have the air conditioning on and I will get overheated and end up at home this evening with a migraine.

Plus he's being mean to the cat which is one of the major triggers of evil b**** mama. Sometimes I find myself wishing that she would turn around and scratch him, hard, to get the point across that she doesn't like what he's doing, but she lies there and takes it. I mean, what kind of a mom am I who wants her cat to scratch her kid?!

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I hate feeling like this and I know it is only going to get worse once little brother is here!

Pardon me while I go crawl under a rock.

#128 of 202 Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 PM

It's not going to get worse when his brother's here. It will be different, but not worse. Yes, two kids sometime means twice the work, twice the struggles, twice the drama. But it also changes the older child, changes your relationship with them, etc. - and not for the worse. Plus, your heart gets a bit bigger, and can put up with all the things that are twice as much as before (including twice the smiles, twice the giggles, twice the love).

Boy, I needed to reflect on that perspective. Don't get me wrong, 2 kids is no joke (feel free to chime in you moms of 3...). But just like you couldn't imagine making room for one and feared it would be too much, but somehow made it work, you do the same thing with #2. I remember being certain that Robin would be my "favorite," that the new baby would never have the same echo as my first-born, and also certain that neither would get the attention they deserve. I couldn't believe everyone who said not to worry and that it would work out...but they were right.

Hang in there, mama. Being tired, hormonal and pregnant will bring out the fierceness, for sure. Breathe deep.

As for hoping the cat will scratch...I tell Clint all the time that we parent by natural selection. For example - if Eli choses to bang his head on concrete, he'll either figure out to stop, or go through life with massive welts. Or, Eli will either learn to stop trying to catch the chicks, or take some serious pecks from Mama Chicken. It's a Darwin moment, IMO. My name is Bennet, and I ain't in it.
#129 of 202 Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 AM

Holy moly, Jen, I am not even close to being pregnant and I echo your sentiments exactly! I've been the evil b**** Mama since I started working, and no matter how many times I explain that when Mama works we have money for nice things, it just DOESN'T. SINK. IN!!!

I have been reading along, but I have been too busy to type. Tonight I just don't care that it's 4am and that I am a week behind in my email.... Almost Four is getting the best of me, and I know that everyone here will understand! You Ladies Rock!!! :

ETA: LOL, my 500th post....

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#130 of 202 Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, in good news:

My mom has quit smoking. After 50+ years. ::: so her house still smells a bit like stale smoke, because it's in the carpet, the walls, the everything, but at least she's not adding to it day after day.

When we drove up, it was impossible to get down my mom's street, because there was a GIANT backhoe in her driveway, digging a 12-foot trench for laying storm sewer pipes. So we parked in the neighbor's driveway, cut through their yard into my mom's and T had entertainment all day while those big machines were working not more than 15 feet in front of the bay window (perfect spot for child to sit).

Around 2:30, I dozed off in my mom's rocker/recliner while T was playing with legos or cooties or something. They ended up going outside and finding some manner of yard work to do (which they can always find). My mom woke me up at 4:30. I felt a bit in a fog but better for having slept.

I figure that it will be worse when little brother arrives because lately T has been SOOO whiny - everything comes out in a whine, really - and he has been really bad at doing anything at all for himself. Just lots of button pushing and a complete inability to do anything by himself. I am tempted to put away 99% of the toys because it's like he has so many things to do that he can't do anything. (Maybe he suffers from the same overstimulation and brain clutter that I do when our house is not clean, which causes me to not be able to do anything because there is too much to do.)

I had a weird night's sleep and woke up with a racing pulse and feeling vaguely sick, but it seems to have remedied itself somehow... and yet, I want to call Jo, tell her that I want her to tell her boss that her wife is sick and that she needs to go home, and crawl back into bed for the rest of the day. Barring that option, I might turn on the olympics for the afternoon and sack out on the couch, hoping that the child doesn't break anything or injure the cat.

There is a woman in one of my DDCs (I straddle Nov and Dec) and she has 6 children and is pregnant with her 7th - and she homeschools - it exhausts me just thinking about it. (Well, and our own chumani - Sarah, are you still out there?)

#131 of 202 Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Some of you may not remember back this far, to the very, very very beginning of the Sept 04 DDC, but first there was Caroline... and then there was Shannon, Shannon0218. Shannon was so hopefully pregnant after 2 miscarriages, and then miscarried again. She never left our DDC, though, and really lent great support and sunshine to all of us.

She died. In January. And I just caught whiff of it now on MDC via someone else's sig.

She miscarried due to a blood clotting disorder and finally carried a baby to term a couple of years ago; she also had brought her 2nd daughter into the world just a few weeks before she died.

I'm just still overwhelmed with sadness. She dreamed of me giving birth on her bed! And I named her 2nd dog (Bedlam). But what I find saddest is that she was one of ours, if only for a short while, and she leaves 2 little daughters behind, whom she wanted so desperately.

Sigh. Sniff.

#132 of 202 Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Some of you may not remember back this far, to the very, very very beginning of the Sept 04 DDC, but first there was Caroline... and then there was Shannon, Shannon0218. Shannon was so hopefully pregnant after 2 miscarriages, and then miscarried again. She never left our DDC, though, and really lent great support and sunshine to all of us.

She died. In January. And I just caught whiff of it now on MDC via someone else's sig.

She miscarried due to a blood clotting disorder and finally carried a baby to term a couple of years ago; she also had brought her 2nd daughter into the world just a few weeks before she died.

I'm just still overwhelmed with sadness. She dreamed of me giving birth on her bed! And I named her 2nd dog (Bedlam). But what I find saddest is that she was one of ours, if only for a short while, and she leaves 2 little daughters behind, whom she wanted so desperately.

Sigh. Sniff.
I didn't know her but.... I'm glad she was able to experience her dd's for whatever time it was.
#133 of 202 Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Sigh. Sniff.
I am sorry to hear that. She was a ray of sunshine for our group.

#134 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 AM

How sad. Really, there are no words.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#135 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 01:25 PM

#136 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 AM

It's September 1. My little girl is 4. I hardly believe it. :

She has a friend who is younger than her, but physically bigger who in in a booster, and she's been asking for one too (I have 2, in boxes in the basement, for when she outgrows her new carseats). I've explained to her that the carseats are the safest, that her body still fits in her carseats (she outgrew her gracos and we replaced them/handed them down to eli), and that she's going to be in the carseats until she outgrows them. So this morning she jumps out of bed (She and I had a "spend the night" party last night in my bed - we watched a movie, made popcorn, played games and painted toenails purple and pink - so fun!) and her first question was: "Mama am I so big now that I'm ready for my booster?" Like she grew overnight.

Speaking of movies, we have "my Neighbor Totoro" from netflix and she and I both love it. She wants to play Satski and Mei all the time now - i'm satski and she's mei. We're going to get the other films by the same director - if we ever get this one returned...
#137 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

One-time MDC Sept 04 baby Oz also loves Totoro.

I can't believe the 4th bdays are happening! We went to Anna Banana's on Saturday and had a great time celebrating Mielle's bday.

happy bday Robin!

#138 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Aw! Happy Birthday Robin :
She sounds lovely. :

My little Jaden is starting her first day of preschool tomorrow.
I hope I don't cry when I drop her off...she really is getting so big. I love how they are growing, it's so much fun.
#139 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sigh. Sniff.
Jen I am very sorry to hear that! So sad. Can I ask what happened?!

So, I had a 'backyard birthday party' for Ceci... it went pretty well, the weather co-operated and everyone came. Whew. What I didn't plan for enough was how all the moms would just want to sit and ignore all the kids and I would run around taking a constant head count. It was fine, I had my mom to help and I know how it is, but we have a lot of territory for kids to explore... but they were happy with the playset, the flower beds, the kiddie pool and our newest 'sandbox' aka our excavation test hole. Thank goodness everyone went home in one piece.

Jen, congrats on your mom and a nice visit!! : A little bit of rest always helps...

Augs, have you moved now?!

Becca, Ceci pees outside also. Always. She takes her pants off and goes for it. I've tried to convince her to go to the back of the house... but she prefers the granite in the front yard. Whoa, its a lot of exposure when she pees!! Carl pees on the rocks and then says 'agate!' and tries to pick up the wet rocks. Awwww.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#140 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
Jen I am very sorry to hear that! So sad. Can I ask what happened?!
She had a clotting disorder, which is what caused her to miscarry her first 4... it seems that after she had her 2nd - which was risky and dangerous because of the risk of clotting - she suffered a brain aneurysm. At least I think that's the story. Her death was related to her clotting disorder, for sure.

Sigh.

My son is being a little sh** this morning.

And his new, custom-made soft leather indoor shoes for preschool just arrived in the mail and the first thing he said was "I don't like those. They're gross." WHERE DID HE LEARN THIS PRAY TELL?!

#141 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Yep, we've moved. I love it here. A small town on an island -- we're just blocks from the beach and the library and everything. It's a big farming community, so that's nice too. Our rental house isn't perfect, but it's OK.

Can't believe I only have 8 weeks or so left in this pregnancy!!!

#142 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Happy Birthday to all the September Babes!!! :

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#143 of 202 Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Here we go head first into Birthday Season! ::

Congratulations to all you mommies (and daddies) as well... I always think the parents have a reason to celebrate too... We've made it to 4! (although I know some of you have older kiddos and have passed this way before).

Wishing you all a happy year with lots of laughter and living!

All the best to you all as you celebrate--
Heidi & Lukas
#144 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 AM

Hello, friends.

I just had to pop in during this bout of insomnia to announce that my Anna bean turned 4 on September 2nd.

Or, as she put it, "I've had 4 rides around the sun."

She's awesome. Hilarious. Creative. Stubborn. Musically gifted.

We've officially added her to our "homeschool", and she loves to mark herself 'present' every day. She's learning her letters and letter sounds. She can count by ones, fives and tens. She can write her first name, though I still can't convince her not to write AnnA. She's not a fan of that last lower-case a.

I blog randomly at http://www.sparkingtolearn.com if anybody wants to peek at some pictures.

P.S., Jen, I think of Shannon regularly. We were on a different board together, and it was devastating when she passed away so soon after baby Isla was born. I think of Molly and Isla, missing their mother, when I am having one of those days where I wish that my children could just disappear for a bit. It shakes me back to center and gives me better perspective.

~Leigh
#145 of 202 Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Leigh, always SO GOOD to see you post.

yes, iirc, didn't we swap due dates? Wasn't AnnA (I like that, I mean, then it's the same backwards and forwards) due on the 18th? And has she written any music yet?

Today is T's first school-year day of preschool but it's the same preschool where he's been going all summer, so he's a little confused about why today would be any different. I've told him there may be different kids there this week. We'll see! (Plus the curriculum has changed mightily... the summer was pretty laid-back.)

#146 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM

Happy Birthday to Anna & Robin & any others I missed! Thor isn't until Sept 14, and I can't figure out what to get him... I was thinking some fire belly toads or a kitten. But I don't know if I can handle a kitten so close to having another baby. I think they would both love having a kitten though!

So here's a question for you all. What would you do if a friend of yours (a pretty good friend) had a child the same age as your current Sept child, but they were, like, out of control? So this friend of mine from here, who I have known for 2-3 years and have hung out with a lot, has a son who has always been a bit... different. He's 3 months older than Thor. He's a genius.... he can read, he has the periodic table memorized, he could recite all the spices in the spice rack when he was 2, etc., but his social skills have always been lacking. He used to bite all the time (and hard) and he has always been a bit rough and violent with other kids. But him and Thor generally were OK together, though Thor did get bit some. But she came to visit today and I just found my head reeling. It was just too much. Her DS was hitting, kicking, talking about killing and other violent things, and him and Thor just sparred most of the time. Then Thor started picking up on the killing thing, which he has never done before, and I was like, OK, this is waaaay too much. But I like this woman... I just don't know what to do. When she left I felt myself not knowing if i wanted to her DS to be around Thor anymore! That's sad, though. I'm not sure how to handle it. Luckily Thor was fairly good about the whole thing and several times I heard him say things like, "NO BITING!" or "NO HITTING!" and then once he said, "If you keep doing that I will NOT play with you!!"

What would you do? She also has a 2 yo who is sweet and who likes Anna a lot.

#147 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

wow, the kid sounds autism spectrum.

I'll keep thinking about it and get back to you. I'm rushing off to do an important errand so I'll have lots of car time to think

#148 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Oh, tricky, Augs I often do the midwestern thing and just don't hang out... : But if she is your good friend, you might just approach her about how you could both/all work together to make a 'plan.' I've done that with my good gf if I notice something her kiddo is doing- 'cause chances are she knows it also and if I can find a way to make it positive it's okay. It can be risky b/c I would never want to criticize anyone's parenting.... but if your kid is violent or mean we just might not hang out much.

Jen, funny on the shoes and thanks for explaining a little more to me about the clotting disorder. I hate thinking that we are all human and could go at anytime!! I prefer to think that mothers are invincible.

Ceci is going to do the little waldorf program 2 x per week... but I am leaning towards keeping her home with me until she's older. I'm a wuss, I am not ready to deal with the public school system.

However, that plan will kind of hinge on me actually getting to stay home and ta-da, my husband just announced he hates his job and wants to do something different. I guess that's par for the course, we never like to do the same thing for too long. And with our home renovations, I will be keeping my job for at least another year. Pout.

Actually, I think that we could still homeschool with the way we are a three parent household. And I think Greg could possibly be the best teacher of all. If I get something going, when I go back to work full time, he can just take over.

I have not officially TTC, but my body has! Whoa, nelly.

SO, is everyone totally caught up in politics?!!! I AM--- and although I am loyal to my party, I think both presidential candidates and their running mates are intelligent people. I find I have to be careful, though, because I get annoyed with people who are narrow minded, single minded, unwilling to see that there are two sides to each coin. KWIM?! We all have to live together.... and I can see other points of view, even if I disagree.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#149 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM

We have had friends w/challenging children... although not necessarily on the level you described. It's hard to know what goes on in other families in the way of parenting and nurturing or boundary setting or developmental phases, or media they are exposed to etc. Although, it does seem that there might be something there to the autism suggestion.

Have you talked to your friend about your concerns? I think, as much as it sucks, it makes sense to discuss your concerns with your friend... like, hey I've noticed... blah blah blah. In a tough conversation, I don't script it out, but I do decide what I want to say first... Then I write up several points I want to make to add to the conversation as it fits in and as it's needed.

Personally, my ds was the "victim" of all the aggressive boys in our play group up until last year when some of the more aggressive boys moved away and others started preschool on different days. Anyways, my concern was that I was presenting these kids as his friends... Yet his "friends" were being hurtful. As much as I wanted time to visit with the other moms, I started shadowing their play and started interjecting myself so I could steer the play to a more positive course or settle disputes. This bordered on being a so-called helicopter parent because I was hovering... yet I thought for a few hours once a week it was worth it.

For us the play group was a regular part of our life, and where my ds was getting a lot of his socialization from... And the hitting/biting/hurting was so frequent that it became more than just a passing phase. For me, it was important to teach my ds that it was not ok for kids to be mean to him or to each other. Without erasing responsibility we talked about the differences between the children/families--some boys were no longer napping so they were totally wiped out; other boys lacked the verbal skills to get what they wanted; while others had seen video games or movies with more mature subject matter that the then 2&3 yo's didn't understand yet wanted to imitate. Before each play group we would talk about who was going to be there, and what L needed to do if a problem came up/what to do if he needed help. And I would remain observant and nearby to intervene as needed.

Ok, that might be a bit too long... really, if you think it's something that could be improved with more parenting involvement then try doing something differently... Set the play date at a time when the kids are well rested, stop for snacks/water, don't let it drag on... if the kids play well for an hour and fall apart the 2nd hour then consider ending it before trouble starts.

If you are leaning more toward the autism side of things... then perhaps set up a one on one time with the mom--no kids. And let your message come from your heart. If they are close friends then it makes sense that you bring it up. Yet, it might still be difficult and your friend might not like that you do bring it up... although she might be relieved to talk to someone about her own fears.

Again, sorry this is so long. I'm pretty passionate about it after all the *rap that L went through. No matter how you go about it, I think it's important to keep them safe... A play date where kids are getting hurt is no fun. So if you don't want to back out, then hopefully there are ways to work with the situation for it to go better. If not, take some time off from it.
#150 of 202 Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Can you tell I'm unemployed again? I can't believe I wrote that novel above
I guess the time flies by... dh took L somewhere before he heads out to work tonight... So my mind can just soak up the quiet time and my fingers seem to keep going on and on and on and on..

We're kinda sorta homeschooling. Although I haven't gotten into it to much yet, I feel like I've got a few things to clear off my plate before we can focus on it. And I have him signed up for a few classes that start in a couple weeks, yet the preschools have all started by now... so that's where most of his friends are. And since I'm no longer nannying, my ds doesn't get that regular playtime either. So we're trying to avoid the dulldrums by ???? ok well we haven't been able to avoid them. My ds is a human sponge that can't soak up enough playtime So I'm super excited about those darn classes starting in a couple weeks... One is an art class that he says he doesn't want to go to But I signed him up anyways. The other is a Kindermusik class. I think they're a little cheesy--the Kmusik, but I like the play with musical component. Other than that I have a whole list of tricks I keep up my sleeve for a rainy or cranky day. Today I introduced L to the stapler! that earned me some time to finish cleaning my dh's home office.

As for the politics, it is interesting to see how it all works, and I hope it plays out how I believe would be best. The funny thing is that L seems super interested in one candidate and keeps asking lots of questions about it. Which marks the entrance into existential thinking for my ds... He has begun to ask so many questions, and it seems like he's really stewing up some good ones. He'll ask questions about things that happened last week... things he did or saw or experienced or was told. Yesterday he even asked why if the world is round, why does it look flat. Go figure, I told him people a long time ago wondered the same thing.

Ok, I think I'm going to use the rest of my free time to vacuum. Hmmm I guess since I have more time lately I may be frequenting you ladies again. See you 'round.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page