Sept 04 mamas - summer thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 202 Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So of course, 1 day before his birthday, T manages to hurt his knee, somehow, and is limping, and today, instead of spending a leisurely afternoon at Oma's house helping her with yard work, we are going to the doctor to see why he's limping.

Remember how Charlie Brown shakes his head in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and says "I can't stand it... I just can't stand it!" - ? Yeah that's me right now.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#182 of 202 Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM

I feel the same way, Jen! I listened to Elizabeth scream and cry for two hours last night (she was hoarse when she finally stopped) because of what basically started because my Beau didn't continue to give her a piggy back ride to where she was going to eat her dinner (the first hour) and the second hour because I wouldn't make my Beau leave on account of his "silliness...."

She's also taken to blaming her messes on a monster that she scares away -- but never in time to prevent that mess. I am seriously losing my mind. At least I have an out of the home job now so I get a little break. :

I think it was on here, but do you remember the name of that wooden bicycle like thing with no pedals? E is 45 pounds and about 42-44 inches tall. Would this be okay for her? She really wants a big bike, and I think this could be perfect for her. Also, I need a source for helmets not made in China, she wants one of these as well.

I hope the cusp of four is treating you well!!!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#183 of 202 Old 09-17-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

T has one of these, it's called either a runbike, a balance bike or a like-a-bike (like-a-bike is a brand name). He prefers his trike because it has pedals, unfortunately, but I know a lot of kids like them.

Highly recommended that you get one made out of aluminum, they are much easier to handle because they are not nearly as heavy as the wood ones. Kettler makes one, ours is made by Ferbedo, we got it on eBay... they are more expensive but they will last longer.

#184 of 202 Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Thanks, Jen!

#185 of 202 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Isn't it also called a Skuut bike?! 'Wooden kick bike.'

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#186 of 202 Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Jen, both Thor and Anna were sick on his birthday (the 14th). Not terribly sick, but Anna was feverish/runny nose and both them were really tired.

He had his first day of transition at preschool yesterday and totally loved it. I switched to a different one and it made SUCH a difference. I feel great about this one, whereas I felt pretty apprehensive about the other two I looked at.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#187 of 202 Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 AM

Ug, is it possible that Andrew's getting molars? He's been miserable and drippy all week, and he's started sucking on his hands, and for the last two or three days he's been feverish and grumpy and waking at night and today he just wanted to lie around and sleep. It sounds like he's sick, I know, but I can't figure out what it is thats bothering him, and he couldn't either. And then at supper tonight he said, "My mouth got sore when I bit into this big carrot. It hurt." and then a little later, when we thought he was asleep and he was actually awake he said, "I'm growing new teeth in my mouth." So of course I tried to get him to take some medicine so he could actually get to sleep, but I had already given him the last of the stuff he liked, and the "chewable tablets"tylenol and motrin are sooo stupid and gross that he won't take them (what is with having to give a 4 yr old 3 giant tablets of tylenol? Is it so no one can overdose by eating the whole bottle? I don't see how that would happen becuase it is so impossible to get Andrew to take one, never mind three! Anyway, I finally crushed some up in juice and gave it to him and he drank it and is now sleeping. But I"m sure I"ll be running in and out of rooms again all night tonight and getting no sleep.

And Aaron is still awake, because I was so tired last night that I accidentally nursed him in my sleep in the middle of the night, and now he's awake and insisting that he should get nursed since he woke up at 9:15 (after falling asleep at 8:30 after 2 hours of coaxing) and I'm refusing and its now almost eleven!

And all I wanted to do tonight was get to excersise and do some sewing . .. so much for that.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#188 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Jilly - are there more molars after the 2 year set?

Hi from underneath my giant pile of homework, housework, unfolded laundry, and work obligations!
#189 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 PM

don't they get a third one? Don't I have three molars? Or do they only get a third one with their second set of teeth? Or am I completely daft (always a possibility).

It was an ear infection, anyway. One day of polysporin drops (I know, I know, but better than a full course of antibiotics) and he's fine.

Well, I was sort of holding my breath waiting for it, and today was the day. First over-stimulation meltdown at playschool. Musical chairs. yes, thats right, musical chairs sent my son over the top. I guess it is pretty overwhelming -- music, which is always a big one for him, plus figuring out when to sit and when to stand, plus kids really close and running around (did I mention there are 24 kids in his class?) plus all the noise of the kids . . . I felt kind of silly when the teacher mentioned it to me and I just nodded my head and said, "Yeah. Music games are like that for him".

I'm going to get the Out of Sync child from the library this week, as it is looking more and more likely that he has Sensory Integration Difficulties, and then I might be contacting public health to make an appointment with an OT.

I just feel so dumb, because I feel like such an over-anxious, over-protective parent. Which I'm totally not, my kid just needs what I give him to keep him sane. But when I start going on about allergies and now also the possiblity of other labelly things I start to feel like I'm weird. Anyway, I should just get over that and get him the help he needs.

In other news, Aaron is speaking in sentences now. His best one was yesterday afternoon "Aaron go garage with daddy play HAMMER!"

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#190 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
don't they get a third one? Don't I have three molars? Or do they only get a third one with their second set of teeth? Or am I completely daft (always a possibility).
You're not daft. All those teeth come with the 2nd, permanent set. Glad the issue was resolved. And man, if I were a preschool teacher, I'd never play musical chairs. What a recipe for disaster with very little children. Too much adrenaline, competition and someone always being left out! I would get overstimulated too.

#191 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Elizabeth was sick for her birthday on Wednesday, too. She has super swollen tonsils and a uvula that looks like it is attached to one side. She didn' have a fever till last night, but it was low and is gone. We're still going to Urgent Care tonight. She's actually pretty excited to go to see a doctor! Hopefully the panel for the doctor I want will have an opening on the first of October and we can get in there!

I had her party on Sunday, just a little family get together. Mexican fiesta minus the pinata (don't know why I didn't think of it!). No real children around here for her, and she really needs some stimulation from peers.

: to All!

#192 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Hey, it's not summer anymore! We need a new thread!

Bummer that some kids are/were sick. I'm really hoping mine stay healthy since we will have a newborn in the house very soon.

We are having a party on Saturday for Jaden. She's super excited to get a princess cake! :

Let's just hope I don't have the baby between now and then.
#193 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

hey, it's still summer here. *pant pant* *hot* *sweat* I'm waiting for it to really be fall before I start a new thread.

#194 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Brrrrr.... it's been chilly here at night. We've had fires in the morning to warm up the house and I've been scurrying around in the woods with the dogs to collect kindling, lots of it, for the winter. Cuz we can't afford to buy fuel! We are going to rely on about four cords of wood to keep the house livable. And gone is the day of the seventy degree thermostat setting like when Lulu was little.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#195 of 202 Old 09-25-2008, 11:29 PM

We've had nice 80+ days but the nights and mornings are chilly. It's starting to feel like fall.

I need this baby to come soon because all I have to wear is shorts and tank tops. :
#196 of 202 Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post

I need this baby to come soon because all I have to wear is shorts and tank tops. :
Haha, I know that feeling....

Jilly, big hugs for you and Andrew. Ceci loves the Waldorf program is is in but then melts down for at least an hour in the afternoon... ack. I told her we had to work on ways to cope, I could not deal with her screaming for an hour+ just b/c she was tired/stressed/overstimulated. Carl hates it when she cries.

OMG, I can't believe Aaron can speak in sentences!! Carl still has four sounds, not even words. He is *trying* to communicate, but it all sounds the same. Like 'gah.' I dunno, do boys talk later, as a general rule?! I am kind of surprised that Carl makes no progress. He's a cute little stinker, though.

So, I fished my SIL's cloth diapers out of her donations to the rummage sale and made about $50 on them!! They sold quickly and I'm happy that they can go to mamas who want to use them. I just knew that at the rummage sale they'd sell for a quarter, if that, if they sold at all, and then not to someone who could/would really use them. :

Becca, how are you juggling it all?!! Hire someone to clean for you once a week, that's my suggestion.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#197 of 202 Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Well, I moaned to MIL long enough - she's coming to help clean next week. And I say "help," but I am not going to be around to do any of it...so really, she'll just be here to clean. ANd YES, I know how lucky I am that she's willing and available and wanted....but I'm also drowning in a sea of obligations and desperately in need of help so I don't feel "lucky." Lucky would be having the time and freedom to do it myself. But it's a hell of my own making, so I shouldn't complain.

We had to go out to eat last night b/c I didn't have a clean place for anyone to eat. Clint and I have been eating standing up in the kitchen for over a week (not at the same time - we haven't been in the house at the same time for a meal in over a week either), with Eli in his high chair throwing food to the dog and Robin standing at a stepstool at the kitchen counter. Clint's GF died friday before last, and we were out of town for the funeral last weekend - it's knocked us all well behind whatever schedules we're on. Robin and Eli held up pretty well for all the transitions, late nights, sleeping over with family, etc.

Eli said his first sentece this week - "I wanna play w'that" At least, that's what I heard. he's pretty non-verbal, but I'm starting to hear a few multi-word combinations. None of them particularly clear, but it's a good step. He's also starting to wean (mostly b/c we hardly see each other at nap and bedtime anymore, and that's the only time he nurses), so I think my period's coming back. I've only had 3 periods since getting preggo with Robin...so since Nov. of 2003...

I bought a diva cup and some gladrags and am gonna try to dtich the throw-away stuff. But I';m also getting a mirena IUD. I know some of you guys have had IUD's - are they diva-cup compatible (I know there's a string involved).

Jilly - hugs, mama. If you suspect SID, i definitely encourage you to pursue it. The labels are worrysome, but really it's about helping him find coping strategies, and helping you find the best ways to advocate for him. Like, setting limits with his teacher about competive/overstimulating games. I imagine if she understood what that experience was like for him, she'd plan differently. I have a student with SID, and the fact that his parents know more about it, are seeking OT, and that we know what's going on at school...it's made a big difference,a nd he's a much happier kid.

Janasmama - Enjoy your last days of pregnancy! I can't wait to hear your good news!!
#198 of 202 Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM

well it doesn't seem like fall here yet. We're in the north part of America, and today through next week it should be in the 80's to 90's !! It's more like summer now than it was in summer. Although we do get those nice cool nights.
#199 of 202 Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Ahhh, I love fall. It's just barely starting here. We've had a weird streak of 70-80 degree weather but in the next couple days it's supposed to be 60ish and the leaves are starting to turn. I looove living here on the island -- it's so farmish and awesome. But I already can't stand renting and am dying to own our own house again, on a couple acres. I so want to get chickens and have a garden next summer, and keep bees again.

I'll be 36 weeks pg on Saturday. Thor randomly says, "In about 3 weeks, mom, that's when the baby will be born." So... it's coming up soon. My guess is around October 20th, as for some reason I don't think i will go to 40 weeks. I'm starting to freak out a bit about having 3 kids. I just know it means I won't be able to go that many places by myself... like, for instance, the grocery store. Or the library. I guess I WILL be able to go for walks and to the park. And with thor in school 2 days a week, that will give me a chance to grocery shop and things with only 2 kids.

Thor is in a dance class one morning a week and he loves it. Today he wore a sparkly blue leotard with white fringe, and he just danced his little heart out. He's so long and lean -- he looks like he has a dancer's body already, yk?

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#200 of 202 Old 10-01-2008, 12:40 AM

^ I hear ya on the 3 kid thing...Next year my DD will be in kindy though so that will only give me two for half the day. I definitely won't go to the grocery store with all three though, it will be an after bedtime thing or while DH can watch them.
#201 of 202 Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM

I wanted to share with you some books that we've been reading that Lukas thinks are hilarious (he actually gets a belly laugh...). They're called: Stories to Read to your Dog, Stories to Read to your Cat, Stories to Read to your Teddy. I like the dog one and the L likes the teddy one. The story kind of has a twist in the plot so kids look at a story from a different perspective. Perhaps as it gets into worse weather, it would be a good book to curl up with the kids.

anyways, life here is hectic, and I kept thinking things would remain slow paced since I'm not technically employed. Yet, we find ourselves super busy... And I've turned into the "in a minute" mom, and L into the "look at me" kid. He's not in preschool, and perhaps he would have done just fine there. But we decided to wait. I have him in a couple classes, and I need to be better about getting some play time in with him each day which helps ease his demands. Plus there's a little girl the same age across the street that is homeschooled so we get to play with her whenever they are home.
#202 of 202 Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to the new thread for the rest of the year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page