Little girls in heels - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=LynnS6;11428441]I agree that shoes with heels are totally inappropriate for little girls. HOWEVER, as the mom of children with BIG feet (ds is 7 and is currently wearing adult size 4-5 - i.e. women's size 5, dd is 4 and wearing toddlers size 11 1/2 or 12), do know it's hard to find shoes sometimes that are age appropriate!

QUOTE]

My cousin just turned 8, and she is in a women's 7. She wears the same size shoe as I do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 AM

I know it's OT but Lynn56, your kids are the same age as mine with the same size feet! Lands End came to our rescue. Fun, comfortable shoes with flexible soles which are the kind my kids like. And they have wides.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 AM

I have no idea how to multi quote, so just let me say

:

to everything bigeyes has posted.

Your posts capture my sentiments exactly.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
A 5 or 6 year old getting dressed up with heels, a dress and fancy hair for her graduation is going to cause all that?
No, people saying it's no big deal when 5 and 6 year olds wear 4" heels, or people say fuck in front of toddlers, or songs on the radio using terms like bitches and hos leads to a society with no manners and no sense of propriety because we're desensitized to these things.

And dressing up does not equal adult clothing and 3 or 4" heels. A 1" heel, or a dressy outfit for a special occasion is not at all what we're talking about here.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 AM

I just have to say that I'm so surprised at how many MDC mommas think it is okay for little kids to wear heels, whether it be dress up or not. I never thought I'd be the lone dissenting voice! I wore plenty of high heels when I was younger, but one day I had an awakening and realized that they kill my back, my toes, and my feet and make it difficult to do something very basic in my life... walk! I got rid of every pair of heels I own. I became resentful of the fashion industry for promoting something that is essentially oppressive and equating it with being beautiful.

I prohibit high heels in my daughter's dress up box, but if she is at a friend's house and they are playing with heels I don't keep her from putting them on.

I have NO PROBLEM with wanting to dress up and make an occasion special with fancy clothing, but surely one does not have to wear high heels in order to dress beautifully!

The Mayo Clinic has a webpage devoted to foot problems related to high heels. It's pretty telling:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/foot-problems/WO00114

And here is another article/study:
http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1651

I just don't get it. Why should anyone wear high heels? Men certainly don't!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
No, people saying it's no big deal when 5 and 6 year olds wear 4" heels, or people say fuck in front of toddlers, or songs on the radio using terms like bitches and hos leads to a society with no manners and no sense of propriety because we're desensitized to these things.

And dressing up does not equal adult clothing and 3 or 4" heels. A 1" heel, or a dressy outfit for a special occasion is not at all what we're talking about here.
Not sure understand the eyeroll, but I'll try again. I don't understand why a little kids fashion choices at the park or at her kindergarten graduation lead to a discussion about the disintegration of society and silverware. What is the relationship between the two?

And I'm fascinated the heels on the kids are going up and the ages of the kids are going down in the discussion. The post I saw discussed a kindergartener wearing two inch heels, not a toddler in 4 inch heels.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Not sure understand the eyeroll, but I'll try again. I don't understand why a little kids fashion choices at the park or at her kindergarten graduation lead to a discussion about the disintegration of society and silverware. What is the relationship between the two?

And I'm fascinated the heels on the kids are going up and the ages of the kids are going down in the discussion. The post I saw discussed a kindergartener wearing two inch heels, not a toddler in 4 inch heels.
My first post mentioned that I see children in my area in 4" heels all the time, many of them around 3 years old. It's ridiculous. They can barely walk and are constantly at risk for twisting or even breaking an ankle.

My dsd came home from school right after we moved here incensed that I wouldn't let her wear heels when everyone else does it. Turns out, in this case, she isn't making it up. I'm appalled at the things I see kids wearing to school functions or the grocery store around here.

Scoff all you want, but I have indeed seen a tiny 3 or 4 year old in 4" heels. Many times. I couldn't care less about a 1" heel, or what someone wears in their own home for 1/2 hour of 'dress up' play. That is not at all what I'm talking about, and I've said so more than once. So yeah, the is fairly appropriate, I think, when people are obviously being deliberately obtuse rather than reading the actual words I typed.

But then, as I also already said, it's all about the tacki-fying of America, and your right to be free to let your children do anything they want in the name of natural progression.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 AM

i just think it's tacky to sit around worrying about what other people are wearing, for pete's sake.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
What I'm saying is not that it's natural for people to gradually lose their sense of manners and propriety. People still believe in the idea of good manners, and probably always will. People still believe some things are rude and some things are okay, and probably always will. It's just that our ideas about which specific things are rude naturally change over time. And that's okay.

What makes something rude is that it's generally agreed to be rude. It's rude to say "fuck" because people think it's rude, not because that particular combination of sounds was created by Satan and designed from the start to be evil. If all English-speaking people suddenly decided as a group that "fuck" would no longer be considered a rude word, and that "diddle" was now to be considered the nastiest word anyone could say, then saying "fuck" would not be rude, but saying "diddle" would be. And it wouldn't be wrong for people to decide to make that switch. That's sort of what happens in the actual world, except it doesn't happen all at once, and not everyone agrees about it at first.

But, to bring this back to the original thread topic, I don't happen to think that kids wearing heels is one of those harmless changes that no one should worry about, because heels are really bad for your body. I think it would be great if people could stop focusing on whether or not heels are sexy, and just think about how ridiculous it is for anyone, child or adult, to wear something so uncomfortable and unhealthy.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
My . So yeah, the is fairly appropriate, I think, when people are obviously being deliberately obtuse rather than reading the actual words I typed.
I]
What a bizzare assumption that I'm being deliberately obtuse.

I missed that kids in your area are in 4 inch heels. I've never seen a little kid in heels that tall. Maybe it's a regional thing.

My posts were in response to people developing dyspepsia over a 5 or 6 year old wearing a fancy dress, hair and heels for her graduation. I just don't think really little kids wearing any kind of clothes makes people swear or stop using silverware. Your experience seems very different.

My kids choose not to wear anything they can't climb in and prefer to be barefoot over any type of shoe. They choose not to wear most characters or shirts with words on them. I talk about my feelings about clothes and why I dress the way I do.

If they spend a couple years in glittery shoes, I'll be okay with it. And I enjoy their friends that dress differently.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
What a bizzare assumption that I'm being deliberately obtuse.

I missed that kids in your area are in 4 inch heels. I've never seen a little kid in heels that tall. Maybe it's a regional thing.

My posts were in response to people developing dyspepsia over a 5 or 6 year old wearing a fancy dress, hair and heels for her graduation. I just don't think really little kids wearing any kind of clothes makes people swear or stop using silverware. Your experience seems very different.

My kids choose not to wear anything they can't climb in and prefer to be barefoot over any type of shoe. They choose not to wear most characters or shirts with words on them. I talk about my feelings about clothes and why I dress the way I do.

If they spend a couple years in glittery shoes, I'll be okay with it. And I enjoy their friends that dress differently.
My first post mentioned the possibility of twisting or breaking an ankle. I have no problem with playing 'dress up' but I think it's stupid for someone to let a tiny child wear a clunky shoe that is dangerous. The fact that they are also driving home a message that women have to always be sexy is equally irritating.

When people have no sense of what is and is not appropriate, then, yes, you will see a breakdown of social niceties. If someone doesn't know any better than to take their child (and themselves) out in public in stripper clothing, they probably are clueless about how to act in polite society.

Why do you think businesses have dress codes? When I worked for a large corporation, it was the woman who would wear overalls and a tube top to work who also got in trouble for using inappropriate language all the time. Coincidence? If you care enough to dress professionally, odds are you conduct yourself as a professional. There is a relationship.

YMMV, but I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
[YMMV.
Yup, my mileage varies. In my field, men and women in expensive business suits sometimes cuss very impressively.

But they still use silverware.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM

My girls are 10 and 12. The oldest one can wear a flat heal, like on a mary jane. No more than an inch. My 12yr old can wear a healed shoe, no more than an inch and a half. She's the shortest kid in her class, so particularly for her talented music programs, where they are required to wear skirts and dress shoes, she's chosen heals. They are adult shoes, since she is in adult sizes now. I don't see anything wrong with it. I do have an issue with young girls wearing them for every day wear. And I see no purpose for toddlers on up through 3rd grade to wear them, especially at play.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yup, my mileage varies. In my field, men and women in expensive business suits sometimes cuss very impressively.

But they still use silverware.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
...I just don't get it. Why should anyone wear high heels? Men certainly don't!
Yeah - that's because they invented them and wore them back in Colonial times and before. Then they got too smart for them and decided they'd just leave them to woman as another way to slow us down ...

And I am declaring myself another "Bigeyes" fan as well. Excellent points!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 AM

I am personally against impractical footwear for myself and my family in general. Dh is complete aggreement. Almost all our clothes are from thrift stores, but we shell out good money for our feet. Cheaper than chiro bills in the end. (Although I've got a pair of silver strappy special occasion shoes that look rather awesome on me, IMHO).

I have a little boy who doesn't care what is on his feet as long as he can run-- my friends who have girls tell me their clothing preferences are getting very strong. I'd probably cave a bit since I'm indulgent, who knows.

Impractical footwear always makes me shudder. It just looks like it hurts. But I don't judge. Around here it is common to see little toddler boys in narrow cowboy boots. I still can't figure out how chubby little toddler feet get in those boots. But whateva.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM

My dd loves all things sparkly etc but on her feet are either sandals or wellie boots - thank heavens, I've never seen any child in high heels or no more than 1/2" we are talking about inches here - I am amazed that 4" heels are even manufactured - do they not have to pass certain regulations about that sort of thing? People in general (I'm talking about france) would be appalled at any shoe shop selling high heels to little girls and toddlers.
PS My ds doesn't wear anything LIKE suits and ties, they are uncomfortable, his dad doesn't wear them so it just seems abit silly to me to dress a child as a miniature adult - looks ridiculous IMO. We need to let our kids stay kids for as long as possible - childhood passes so quickly.

PPS for the poster who's dd uses her shoes as trike brakes - you can get some really funky pink sparkly Doc Marten boots - just maybe of interest to you.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM

I have seen several strappy higher heels in dd1's size 12-13 toddler/kids size.

She loves loves loves wearing heels but we limit it to around our house. Or an occasional trip to Grandma's house (which is 2 minutes away). She has to wear her sneakers or regular sandels though to play.

We have let her wear them out of the house so she could see how limiting these shoes would be. That was the end of that! Now they are play.

I have a very high arch and instep. If I wore those ballet flat style shoes you see now in style, they would literally be painful. I have never been comfortable in flat shoes as young as 13. Mary Jane type shoes bothered me thru out childhood because of the strap hitting my in step. I cannot wear sneaker type shoes for too long as well for the same reason.
I wear a heel 90% of the time.

This type of shoe:

http://www.planetshoes.com/storeitem...onga&fscat=646

all of my boots also have a heel. I can remember standing on my heel and people commenting- arent you uncomfortable?? No, its actually easier on my feet to have a bit of a heel.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I never wear heels personally--I hate them. Even for my wedding, I bough white ballet slippers.

Anyway, my 8yr old got her first heels this year. They are white sandals. Not sexy, just white sandals with a pump. She's been wanting heels for a long time but that isn't why I bought them. It is sometimes very hard to find sandal that fit a child with a very narrow heel/foot that are just white & dressy. I finally gave up and she is just thrilled!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I guess that I should get ready for the tomato throwing since it sounds like I will be in the minority based upon what I have read. I never wear heels myself primarily for comfort reasons and b/c dh is only 2 inches taller than I am and it makes him feel shorter than he already is. My older dd, like me, is interested in comfort over all else and has never had an interest in heels.

My little one, however, is currently an aspiring Hollywood make-up artist (and this has described this kiddo for her whole life). When we go to the book fair at school, she wants the book where she can learn about different make-up for different shape faces and put make-up on a pad of papers with faces drawn on it. At the clothing stores, she wants dresses with sequins on them. She would happily wear such dresses to school every day. She organized a cheerleeding squad in 2nd grade last year. She is small but opinionated and very, very into "girlie" stuff. She also loves shoes with heels.

I do limit it due to practicality. No, I wouldn't buy her heels that are not wedges b/c I don't want her to trip. However, she does have a few pairs of sandles that have 1/2" wedge heels and I let her wear them whenever she wants to. She walks fine in them -- probably better than I would b/c I never wear heels and am out of practice.

I truly don't think that it is b/c of sexist attitudes conveyed onto her by television and/or society. Her older sister is a bookworm and a budding scientist who hasn't set that example. I work in a more professional role than my dh and dd has seen women in a lot of professional roles. Actually, she thought that all physicians were female for quite a while b/c her dr, mine, and most of my co-workers (at a hospital) are women.

She doesn't watch racy shows on TV. We place a high value on education and have a lot of strong female role models in our family. It is just who she is and I am trying to respect her differences despite it, honestly, being a lot harder for me to relate to her than it is to my older one who is not so girly.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM

I have NOT read the thread beyond the first post, so this is just a random add-on. Check it out: High heels for infants.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 PM

My dd is 8.
This is the first year we have gotten some shoes with a higher heel. It looks grown up to me and is not entirely to my taste but dd is getting older and liked them a lot so I didn't fight over it. Usually she wears a flatter shoe.

I would be okay with a shoe like this for a special event- not playing at the park or wearing every day. It doesn't seem too grown up.

We recently had a girl dd's age over who was wearing a much higher wedge sandal- over 2 inches I'd say. These are her everyday shoes. She does not wear a women's shoe size yet. It was really hard watching her play and walk. It definitely thrust parts of her body out.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
I have NOT read the thread beyond the first post, so this is just a random add-on. Check it out: High heels for infants.
:Puke

User Tag List