little girl going to bathroom w/daddy - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never worried about it & neither did their dad.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#62 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM

my dd is 4 and my dh still takes her with him sometimes. We have never thought twice about it.
#63 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiflywaif View Post
Guys don't just walk around waving their penises.
this made me chuckle
#64 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM

I don't have a daughter so I don't know how I would handle that. I'm interested to know how DH would handle that if they were out alone together.

When I was younger, maybe 5, I was spending a day out with my dad and he just covered my eyes when we went into the bathroom.

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#65 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
Personally, it gives me the creeps when a guy stands outside the ladies restroom door and yells in. I would rather he just take the (I'm assuming in most instances) girl child to the men's room. Of course, there are some men doing this to communicate to a girlfriend, spouse, or other relation, child or adult. For an adult, why can't they just wait. For a child, I personally feel that in most cases about age 6 or older is ok for them to be alone in the restroom with a guardian/adult/caregiver of either sex waiting out front.
Well I'm glad that YOU would rather my husband take my daughter into a men's room because it creeps YOU out for my husband to wait outside the door for her. I'm not going to risk exposing my daughter to something I view as innapropriate for that reason, sorry.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#66 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
DD is still potty learning and can't wipe herself sometimes or get her pants on/off. I think it is great you can do that in your family but DD needs bathroom assistance and needs someone in there with her. What does your DH do if she needs help?
Honestly? He would find a family bathroom or leave. He wouldn't take her into the men's room.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#67 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM

No problems with kids in either restroom- though I'm likely to walk in the mens restroom if I really have to go and theres no bushes, so I'm sure you don't need any more info!!!
#68 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 04:07 PM

dh takes dd into the mens room if there is no parents room (you know, the fancy ones with the little kiddie toilet). he's never mentioned anything about covering eyes and such when he's had to resort to the men's.

when he is at home, the bathroom is a free for all.. no one can pee or crap in peace.. at all. he goes in to pee and there are two little girls staring at him like he is the most fascinating thing in the world. the girls also shower with dh or i at times so they've pretty much seen it all.. about a thousand times already.
#69 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
Personally, it gives me the creeps when a guy stands outside the ladies restroom door and yells in. I would rather he just take the (I'm assuming in most instances) girl child to the men's room. Of course, there are some men doing this to communicate to a girlfriend, spouse, or other relation, child or adult. For an adult, why can't they just wait. For a child, I personally feel that in most cases about age 6 or older is ok for them to be alone in the restroom with a guardian/adult/caregiver of either sex waiting out front.
sorry but i have to disagree on this. no way in the world would i leave a 6yo child alone in a restroom (women's or not). with so many cases of children being abused, kidnapped and even killed in public restrooms... how can i take the risk? personally i would prefer dh to take dd to the men's room and be beside her 120% of the time rather than leave her alone in a women's restroom.

we also carry around a little potty in the back of our car. 80% of the time, dd actually goes in the potty, 15% of the time its in a parents restroom and 5% of the time in either a women's or men's (depends on urgency, who she is with and where we are). sometimes its just not feasible to go to the carpark and take her to the potty so its the public restroom at that moment, but overall we aim for the potty..

just an idea...
#70 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Well I'm glad that YOU would rather my husband take my daughter into a men's room because it creeps YOU out for my husband to wait outside the door for her. I'm not going to risk exposing my daughter to something I view as innapropriate for that reason, sorry.
You stated your discomfort at her seeing men penises. I stated my discomfort with men hanging around a ladies room door. I didn't say he HAD to start taking her in the men's room.
#71 of 73 Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM

I'm dying to know how a child could even get the chance to see a penis in the bathroom! Are these men having to stand way back from the urinal because they are so well endowed??? My hubby is plenty well covered between his hand and the urinal itself! Maybe I'm just missing out
#72 of 73 Old 06-14-2008, 08:40 AM

I absolutely agree. I wonder if the penis-peeking-worries have ever been in a men's room. Presumably the dad wouldn't take the little girl right up to the urinals, they'd both go into a stall and take turns doing their thing. The chances of a girl seeing anything at all are pretty darn small.
#73 of 73 Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Does it really matter what a daughter's statistical chances of seeing a penis when going into the men's bathroom with her dad are?

If a dad is more comfortable covering his daughter's eyes as they walk through a men's bathroom, why is that not ok? Why make men feel like they're ridiculous or over reacting if their comfort level dictates that they cover their daughter's eyes?

We don't do this to mothers. There are a lot of very protective mother's on this board and I rarely see the "cyber eyerolling" and sarcastic responses when a mother talks about protecting her child from something that makes her uncomfortable.

Ultimately, I can not see what harm can come from a dad covering his daughter's eyes. Is it always necessary? Maybe not. But, if he's involved enough to be out with his children and to take one of them to the bathroom, the least of my concerns is whether or not he feels he needs to cover her eyes as they walk through a men's bathroom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page