Kung Fu Panda and the like - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not everyone here may share my view, but wondering if a few do so ...

My dds' (6 and 8) swim team goes to the movies once a month. We never go because I find so few "children's" movies acceptable.

They are older this year and had some interest so this time we went despite the rating and my reservations.

We left within 10 minutes at my older dd's request. 100% violence -- swords, explosives, characters deliberately inflicting pain, depiction of a very scary prison. The humor was directed almost entirely at the adults.

*Why* in heaven's name do people find these kind of films acceptable for their young children? The theater was *packed.*

Don't people realize exposing their young children to this dark, violent stuff begins the numbing process; gives our children a dark vision it would have been hard for them to create themselves?

I think it reveals so much about our culture/society -- that we would make movies like this for our children and then voluntarily take our children to them. My dd, in first grade, has classmates who have seen all the Star Wars and/or Indiana Jones movies.

It seems to me parents are not exercising good judgement in exposing their young children to this stuff. Yet, I seem to be such a anomaly.

What do you think about popular culture for young children like Kung Fu Panda?

M
#2 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 PM

I find it hard to generalize, because I know that different children have very different tolerance levels and interest levels. Just from my family's perspective, I do get tired of how many 'children's' movies are totally not something my daughter could see and enjoy.

We decided not to go see Kung Fu Panda. My daughter's big triggers are violence involving animals, or deaths of parents, so that leaves out a lot of 'children's' movies. She wasn't sure she wanted to see it from the ads, so we checked out Kids in Mind and read her a couple of the scenes they described, and she said no way. She's almost 7, and a great, smart kid. She can handle some scary things (loved The Iron Giant), but there's lots that is just not ok for her.

Oh, and her otherwise very nice teacher over the past few months has been showing movies on Friday afternoons now and again. Dd told me she was proud no one saw her crying during Ice Age! :
#3 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM

I thought it was poorly written and the storyline didn't make a lot of sense.

I do agree that it's not for little kids. It's not a little kid's movie IMO.

The cuddly Panda bear as a main character may be misleading IMO

That said I had no problem with my 6 yo seeing it. We watch Star Wars and Indiana Jones too.

That's us though and I have no issues with other people choosing not to view movies like that.
#4 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM

What's wrong about being conditioned to some violence? Any farm or patch of woods anywhere in the world has more violence on a daily basis than the worst kid's movie out there. Does it serve a pariticular purpose for your kids to be so sheltered from real life?

Not that I've thought it through and decided that open exposure is better. But if I'm going to go dramatically out of my way to keep my kids from knowing about or feeling the reality outside the safety of our neighborhood block, then I guess I'd want to have a pretty compelling reason. What is it that you feel is the gain of this approach?
#5 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
What's wrong about being conditioned to some violence? Any farm or patch of woods anywhere in the world has more violence on a daily basis than the worst kid's movie out there. Does it serve a pariticular purpose for your kids to be so sheltered from real life?
sorry, but :. i don't want my kids to be blindsided by the big scary society out there past our front door i think if i had continued to "protect" them the way i did at first, they wouldn't know how to cope with the rest of the culture as a teen/young adult.

i was a very sheltered child, and i don't think my parents did me any favors by that.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#6 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmine View Post

My dds' (6 and 8) swim team goes to the movies once a month. We never go because I find so few "children's" movies acceptable.

They are older this year and had some interest so this time we went despite the rating and my reservations.

We left within 10 minutes at my older dd's request. 100% violence -- swords, explosives, characters deliberately inflicting pain, depiction of a very scary prison. The humor was directed almost entirely at the adults.

*Why* in heaven's name do people find these kind of films acceptable for their young children? The theater was *packed.*

Don't people realize exposing their young children to this dark, violent stuff begins the numbing process; gives our children a dark vision it would have been hard for them to create themselves?

I think it reveals so much about our culture/society -- that we would make movies like this for our children and then voluntarily take our children to them. My dd, in first grade, has classmates who have seen all the Star Wars and/or Indiana Jones movies.

It seems to me parents are not exercising good judgement in exposing their young children to this stuff. Yet, I seem to be such a anomaly.

M

I totally agree!!!

Quote:

Not that I've thought it through and decided that open exposure is better. But if I'm going to go dramatically out of my way to keep my kids from knowing about or feeling the reality outside the safety of our neighborhood block, then I guess I'd want to have a pretty compelling reason. What is it that you feel is the gain of this approach?
There's nothing real about movies like King Fu Panda. Reality - the good, bad, and ugly is something parents can guide their kids through. Yes, some animals die and other animals eat them. Yes, there are mean people in the world. Yes bad things happen that we can't explain.

But let's kick some butt, blow things up, call people names and laugh all the while so you can get desensitized and brainwashed into the next "big thing"? No way!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM

I did go see Kung Fu Panda and my issue was not so much with the violence but more the messages they sent. They refer to Po as "fat" in more than one way and say that he cant possibly learn Kung Fu because he's fat....they never resolve that or address it.

When the Master calls Po an "idiot", my son had a fit. He was really upset about that.

There was a lot of ignorance in the movie and I did not like it one bit. Dreamworks is quickly earning a reputation for that kind of stuff and it's too bad.

HOWEVER:: Not all parents agree with me. SOme people comfortably let their young kids watch KFP, Shrek, etc with no problems and it's fine. Not all kids are the same and not all media exposure affects them the same way. Bottom line, you have to follow your gut.
#8 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM

I have not taken my younger children to see this nor do I think I will. I am not a huge fan of Dreamworks' children's films. I know they are trying to entertain adults along with the children, but I feel they go too far with some of the adult humor. The violence on top of that is the clencher for me. I will wait until they are older and can better distinguish fantasy and reality.

Now, DSD is almost 10yo, and she has seen this with her mother. Her mother is much less discerning about the things she watches. However, DSD has never shown any real issues with things as far as being sensitive to what is depicted. My main concern with her, right now, is the adult humor because she is starting to get it. I would not have taken her to see it for that reason, too.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#9 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
There's nothing real about movies like King Fu Panda.
You are right it is a cartoon, a story, or a fantasy. No more real than Diego, Sesame Street, Winnie The Pooh, etc.

We saw the movie and enjoyed it for what it was. DD got a thrill out of Po beating the guy in the end by smacking him with his butt. As for the violence I agree with Blessed. Silly violence in movies is really no big deal IMO. I mean there is an entire sequence where they wrestle with chop sticks over a dumpling.
#10 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 PM

My dad let me watch any movies that I wanted as a child and I still have fears around some of the things I saw. I watched some super violent movies, though, not kid violent movies. I think it's good to shelter them as long as possible, but eventually they're going to be exposed to it. We do watch Star Wars and Indiana Jones. These movies don't worry me as much because they are fantasy. What scares me is realistic sadistic violence and I don't think you really get that in star wars or indiana jones. I would be much more afraid of letting them watch the local news then of star wars.
#11 of 101 Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 PM

I think it's all about your energy toward it and what kind of info you arm your children with reguarding the subject matters in the movies or TV shows. Now, while I certainly don't think little kiddos should be watching things they just CAN'T understand like, movies made for adults with gore, terror, sexual behavior, etc I don't think all children would fall as any kind of victum to a movie like Kung Fu Panda. Some, may not process it well and others might take it the other direction and use what they saw to treat others, animals, or objects in a bad manner. But, it comes down to the indivual child and the parents reactions and state of mind.

My 2.5 y/o dd has been going to live amatuer and professional boxing matches since she was 6 months old. Something many parents wouldn't agree with but, it certainly does not have any negitive effect on her due to our approach to it, respect about it, and rules reguarding it. Kids pick up on your own feelings. If you are worried about how terrible it is they go into it with terrible feeling as the underlying tone. That effects how they precieve it.

All kids are different and while one kid might do well with something others may easily be able to seperate reality from fiction or be able to see the intent and meaning behind actions.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#12 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 AM

We watch things like Star Wars, Narnia movies, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. and my kids really, really love them. They run around with their foam swords and capes yelling, "For Narnia!" My littlest likes to pretend he's Gandalf the White. Luke and Leia and Darth Vader are popular right now.

They aren't violent kids, they understand the difference between real life and fiction, and good vs. evil is a very important theme to little guys. I LOVED the Narnia and LOTR books when I was in elementary school and I'm so glad I can share the movies with my kids.

I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet but I was planning to watch it with my kids.
#13 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM

I was the kid that wasn't allowed to see many movies, and it took me a really long time to stop resenting my parents over that. I so clearly remember being 12, and not allowed to watch Dirty Dancing (which was a HUGE hit) because it was PG-13. It was damaging socially, much more than anything I might have seen in the stupid movie.

So I take a very different view on this. I don't want to shelter and protect Alex from mainstream media, which he is going to be exposed to anyway .. he starts public school in August. He's not big into movies, but he's seen Transformers and Narnia and wants to go see Kung Foo Panda, which I will take him to next week.

He is well aware of movies vs. reality and is also a sensitive, kind, very non-violent child. Trust me, watching violence in Kung Foo Panda is not going to make him start beating up his friends on the playground or anything. And he's certainly not desensitized to violence either ... he got upset the other day when dh smashed a bug, yet would not get upset in a movie that he knows is not real.

I think this is a very personal choice, but after growing up so sheltered from movies/media I feel it was harmful to me. And I have choosen to let my son see movies, keep an open dialogue and explain anything that might be confusing, but not keep it from him.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#14 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 06:02 PM

I agree with hottmama. Our kids love those very same movoies and they inform much of their informative play. We watch special features too, so they know EXACTLY how all that movie action and violence is done.
#15 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 06:12 PM

eh. we liked the movie kung fu panda.

we left in speed racer though - i thought that movie was incredibly inappropriate! i guess it just depends on the individual child or parent's perspective.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#16 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Chiming in with a big, "Yeah, that!" to hottmama....

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#17 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmine View Post

M
I think this is a very harsh judgement to pass when you know nothing about the parents of the children who ahave seen this movie. My boys loved this film ( 7 and 14) and I thought it was pretty funny. I can appreciate that your children don't like violent scenes, but not all children are frightened or severely traumatized by these things. If you think your daughters can't handle this type of film, by all means steer clear, but I don't think it's fair that you pretty much accused me of being inappropriate/neglectful/thoughtless towards my own children just because we went to see KFP.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#18 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM

i'm laughin. i love mdc. we're debating about kung fu panda.

#19 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM

What was wrong with Speed Racer? I haven't seen it but DH took the 5 year old and said it was pretty innoucuous.
#20 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i'm laughin. i love mdc. we're debating about kung fu panda.
lol I Just asked my kids about this and they were not sure they knew what it was. It's cartoon movie is all we could come up with. ETA-- My dds are saying it's from Pixar, so they have heard of it. I'll admit that if they ask to go see , I won't care. My kids are not going to become Kung Fu pandas if they see it...or whatever else the worries are.
#21 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
What was wrong with Speed Racer? I haven't seen it but DH took the 5 year old and said it was pretty innoucuous.

ha ha, see what i mean?!!? something inappropriate to me is harmless to another parent. it's all just a matter of opinion and preference. speed racer had some language, and a scene where they were smacking this guy repeatedly across the face (and he was bleeding). it was too much for my kids, as they have never seen someone being hurt like that in a movie. then there was a fish tank filled with pirranahs and they were threatening to put the man in there.....again, too much for my kiddos. then the fish tank got a crack and another dude had to stick his finger in the hole to stop the water from leaking....and the pirranahs ate his finger and it showed blood in the water. ha ha - so yea...we left. but that's how it works with my kiddos. it was too much for them - and i guess that's why the movie was pg. i should have researched it more before going.

but i understand my kids are different than other kids.

#22 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
My kids are not going to become Kung Fu pandas if they see it...or whatever else the worries are.
uumom - you made me laugh outloud. i so needed that right now!!

#23 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:

This is a cartoon we're talking about. So likening it to giving a dose of "reality" is kind of a stretch.

I watched The Blob one day when I was little, and started to sit on the edge of the toilet seat because I was afraid that the Blob would come up and eat me. No matter how much I "knew" that the Blob wasn't real, I still feared it coming up through the toilet or coming up through the tub drain when I was taking a bath, and I experienced a lot of fear that imo, was not appropriate or healthy, and it was entirely avoidable.

By the way thirty years later, I STILL perch myself on the very edge of the toilet seat whenever I go to the bathroom because it has become habit. DH makes fun of me about it all the time, but he also has realized that TV/movie imagery and violence can be very disturbing to children and can have lasting ramifications. We are both HUGE Star Wars/Harry Potter/LOTR fans, but we are 100% on the same page that in our house, these aren't considered children's movies. We feel the same way about most popular cartoons as well, quite frankly. We enjoy them as adults, but are planning to wait quite a while before little one partakes.
#24 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM

I'm pretty selective about what my son sees (I posted a thread not too long ago about why I hate PBS's Arthur.) BUT we were really excited to take our son to see Kung Fu Panda. (My husband still practices martial arts twice a week, even as an adult. So needless to say, it's BIG in our house.) And I guess we were one of the few who loved the film. I don't go to childrens movies expecting a really deep story line, and of course I can find something objectionable in any movie we watch together, but for the most part we found it really entertaining.

I agree with most posters, though. It really is what you feel your child can handle. My son totally gets that cartoons are imaginary, but not so much for movies with 'live' actors - some of those visuals can really scare him, so we avoid anything even sightly frightening with real people in it.
#25 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 10:33 PM

It's not the violence that makes me dislike this genre. They (the ones I've seen) just strike me as tacky, vulgar, lowest-common-demoninator pandering. Plus the art, or whatever you call the look of the cartoon (not up on my movie terms) is so...garish, ugly, just wretched.

Now, there are cartoons I like. Someone here recommended Kiki's Delivery Service, and that seemed like real art. There's the Pink Panther, which my kids love, which is so witty and clever. But Cars, Toy Story, Shrek, etc., no thanks.
#26 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM

We won't see Kung fu Panda as long as we have to pay for it, but that's in objection to an actress in it, not the content.

I bring my 2 and 5.5 year olds to all kinds of movies, and they watch what we watch at home, too. They understand that what they are seeing isn't real, and they don't get upset or scared by movies. I don't really think becoming desensitized to fictional violence is a problem -- just means you can enjoy a bigger variety of movies than someone who is very sensitive to those things. Neither one of my children are desensitized to real violence and suffering, and neither am I (my viewing wasn't censored as a child, either).

I feel very positive about the choices we've made for our family, and with the way we handle subjects that come up as a result of the media we have in our lives.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#27 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM

I didn't see it, but dh took our 7 yo dd. I read the op to him, and his response was "It's Kung Fu Panda. Of course there was violence. It's a martial arts movie." lol
#28 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 11:07 PM

My ds is almost 6 and pretty sensitive. I generally screen movies very carefully.
He has not seen Star Wars or the like yet. Some friends invited us to go to KFP with them so we went. Ds loved it. I thought it was a bit much, overstimulating mostly, but ds really liked it.
#29 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM

If I can't watch a kids' movie before I take our family to see it, I look it up on kids-in-mind.com and read the detailed analysis and rating. When I read the one about Kung Fu Panda I decided it was a definite no-go for my kids. I later saw a preview with a few images of the bad guy in it, and I'm glad my kids didn't see it...they would have been terrified. I agree with the PPs that said Kung Fu Panda (and other movies similar to that) are geared more towards adults than children.

Although, a lot of kid movies and shows have adult jokes in them...I remember babysitting my little sister while she was watching The Rugrats. Chuckie said, "There once was a man from Nantucket..." and then got cut off before he could finish the limmerick. I had to bite my tongue HARD.

We took them to see Horton Hears a Who at the $2 theater instead, and while there were still a couple iffy things in it (like a scary vulture and name-calling) the movie as a whole was much more suitable for kids. I'm proud of my kids when they say, "He shouldn't say 'stupid,' it's not a nice word." I use little things like that as learning experiences..."What could he have said instead?" etc.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#30 of 101 Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Im less concerned with the violence and inappropriate language than I am about films like KFP snarling them into the big corporate marketing trap. I saw toys, clothes, even breakfast cereal, out in the stores BEFORE Kung fu Panda was even out in theaters! I hate that stuff, and thats what I want to shield my kids from. Just my .02

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page