Nighttime potty training for 3 y.o. girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. I've been putting it off because I have a nighttime nursing 5 mo. old and I think dh would have to take responsibility for this. If it's too challenging the man won't do it. So please, humour me. Tell me about your experiences. TIA

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I let my dd wear pullups until she was consistently dry. She was under the impression that these were *only* night time diapers lol. I used CD until she was 3, then she PL daytime, but not nighttime until she was about 5. If you feel she's ready, get a weewee pad, pref wool, and just let her try it out. If she does wet, she'll probably end up waking up very early, cold and wet (ime sometime between 3-5am). My ds is the same age as your dd2 (Jan 05) and is completely PL daytime, but wears pullups at night. When he wakes, he's already peed, so he's just not ready, kwim?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm maybe I'm rushing it? Dd still wakes up with wet pull ups.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
Hmmm maybe I'm rushing it? Dd still wakes up with wet pull ups.
DS's last wet diaper was a night time one, and the next day we just put all his diapers in a drawer for his little sister. We started him on a nekkie blankie and he has yet to have wet the bed. He is much better naked than clothed. When we day trained, he ran around naked ALL day and so I think that helped with nights. We sometimes will pick him up sleeping and carry him to the potty, and let him pee, he half wakes for it. We don't always do this and he is consistently dry. The only time he's wet the bed so far (it's only been a month for us) is the first night of our move. We drove from LA to Chicago and the first night in the hotel he wet the bed and woke up crying. I'm guessing there was more to it than just wetting the bed...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 AM

DD, who will be four next month, was dry during the day for a couple of months when we decided to start at night. Waiting it out while she wore a diaper at night didn't work for us--she would not even be asleep yet and the diaper would already be wet. Maybe it was a novelty after spending all day focusing on being dry, to be back in a diaper at night. But fifteen minutes or so after her night diaper went on, she needed to be changed. So we just went cold turkey.

Around mid-April we put a plastic sheet on DD's toddler bed, and started using just a simple blanket to sleep on top of (no sheets), with another blanket on top of her to keep her warm. We have stacks of blankets that can be used for this purpose, so it's easy to throw one set off the bed and put another on.

For a month DD was wet every single morning. We took off the bedding, rinsed DD and said that she was great at staying dry during the day, and it was harder to learn to listen to her body at night, but it would happen. Sporadically she began to go through the night dry.

Now, about two months later, DD is dry six nights out of seven. We don't wake her at all, even though I'm up past midnight every night. We used to wake her sometimes but she would occasionally get really irritated and have a hard time going back to sleep, and washing bedding was preferable to dealing with a middle-of-the-night tantrum. Plus, we didn't want her dependent on us, rather than her own body, to wake her to pee.

It's a long process; unpack your patience and dust it off--if you do go with our method you are going to need it!

User Tag List