Would you buy your son a pink car seat? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#62 of 69 Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM

if it's the one I saw at wal-mart, heck no! that thing is as ugly as sin. I wouldn't buy it for my DS or DD! I'm generally offended by most pink baby gear...I'm picky about colors.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#63 of 69 Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 AM

I let dd pick her pink flower booster seat. If my long hair, hippie looking boy wanted pink, purple, green, red, or rainbow, he's welcome to it. So long as the seat is safe, I don't care what color the covering is. If things change, I'll figure out how to sew a new cover.
#64 of 69 Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 AM

i would without hesitation.

would you buy a blue & red carseat for a girl?

my dh wears pink on occasion.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#65 of 69 Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 AM

I have agonized about this sort of thing with my son. It's not so much about not wanting him to be teased. It's about not wanting the opportunity to even present itself for some kid to say to him, "Why are you wearing pink shoes? Don't you know pink is for GIRLS?" That statement alone is going to inform DS, in ways I have tried to avoid, that girlness/femininity is something to be mocked. That girls are less than boys. I hate it. I would rather subtly steer DS away from being in a position to receive that message in the first place. Maybe I am misguided, but I feel like I can't change the world DS lives in. I CAN make an effort to minimize his exposure to such messages while he is still so very young and impressionable.
#66 of 69 Old 07-20-2008, 11:20 PM

seriously? A car seat? Hell yes. I did in fact, because I thought it looked "happy." (it had flowers on it).
#67 of 69 Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM

i wouldnt. but then again i wouldnt buy one for my daughter either. a car seat can be quite an expensive purchase and some models are designed to be used for many years. tastes change and i would hate to have my child unhappy/uncomfortable/embarrased or arguing with me about it down the road.
#68 of 69 Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 AM

Yes. It's no like most people would see him in it anyway.

I'm getting a stroller that's on sale right now that's pink. I have 2 young boys who'll be riding in it and I could not care less who sees us using a pink stroller.

1. Pink doesn't make boys gay, if it did, all girls would be gay too. 2. Pink doesn't make any boy less of a boy. Acting like a jerk, being mean can though, like people criticizing anyone using a pink accessory for their boy.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#69 of 69 Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, well I ordered it, it was delivered, we have it in the car... He loves it!

I think there are a lot of practical reasons that were mention, none of which had crossed my mind. So thanks. And for the record, the car seat is pretty darn good looking. It's not obnoxious in my opinion. Kind of a race car style with black and gray accents.

Anyways, the thought did come to my mind that I have never bought him anything that is particularly "boy" stuff. Although we have supported his interests, which coincidentally tend to be typical boy stuff... like construction vehicles etc. He also loves playing with his baby doll and my old my little ponies. That being said, we do work to keep the gender stereotypes to a minimum. And if I had a girl, I would attempt avoiding full-on pink invasion in my home.

As for the future, we'll deal with any future problems if/as they arise. I'm looking into getting a second cover, but would also consider just covering the seat with a blanket if he ends up hating his car seat.

Like Alfie Kohn says... "Don't stick your no's in unnecessarily" and I'm glad I said yes to pink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page