Coughing at night only? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yo is not sick. Hasn't had a cold for months. He is perfectly fine during the day with no runny nose, watery eyes, dark eye circles or any other symptom to speak of. But during the night he has these coughing fits. I don't hear them but my husband has been sleeping next to him for the past month (transition from family bed) and says he has been coughing during the night quite a bit.

What could this be???

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#2 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There are various possibilities.........it could be a virus he is having a hard time completely kicking.

It could also be asthma. Sometimes asthma manifests itself as coughing rather than wheezing.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 PM

I was going to suggest asthma my dd started out with coughing at night as the first sign of asthma over the years it has gotten worse.

I would suggest buying a dust mite cover to go over his pillow to see if that helps since dust mits can be a major asthma trigger.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I was going to suggest asthma my dd started out with coughing at night as the first sign of asthma over the years it has gotten worse.

I would suggest buying a dust mite cover to go over his pillow to see if that helps since dust mits can be a major asthma trigger.
Where do you get these? I need one.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM

I actually got it from wal mart but I have seen them at my local medical supply store and at 1 pharmacy around here. You can even buy them to fit over the top of the mattress as well.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Ditto to the asthma possibility. My DS has mild asthma - manifested itself as a cough. Usually night-time with only big daytime issues after colds/flus/etc. After many alternative therapy tries we went with the standard medical treatment. I hate it but it's worked, and worked well.

Start with eliminating triggers, particularly in the bedroom. Dust mite covers for pillows and mattresses are great, as are hardwood floors and (if possible) a no-pet-in-the-bedroom rule. Maybe even keep his windows closed and the AC on for a while and see if that helps.
#7 of 16 Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM

Besides asthma, could also be reflux. Sometimes the only sign of reflux is coughing while laying down.
#8 of 16 Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Asthma? Really?
Is this coughing associated with asthma something that happens just sometimes or every night? He certainly doesn't have this everynight. Actually it's very rare to have a coughing "fit".

I have read that some kids' only sign of asthma is coughing at night. But can that really be totally true? If no one slept with him and we didn't hear him cough, no one would ever thing anything of his healty...except that he is super duper healthy.

I'm feeling like alergies might be more likely?

Hmmm....

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#9 of 16 Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM

hi,

i have adult onset asthma. i only get it when it is triggered by allergies. i've not had any issues my whole life, but when we got a cat last year it has become out of control. i feel like someone is sitting on my chest a lot & i have difficulty breathing. i don't cough or wheeze though (except i cough at night). asthma can be triggered by many allergies though - mine just happens to cat dander. anyway, just wanted to share that, but not to freak you out...just info worth investigating.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#10 of 16 Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM

My son was like that and had asthma. I got our mattress cover at Target.
#11 of 16 Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Is the air in his room dry? Sometimes I wake myself up from a sound sleep hacking with such an awful tickle in my throat... it dries out.

Maybe try a humidifier?
#12 of 16 Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 PM

Does he have a down pillow? My FIL found out he was allergic to them because he had symptoms (I don't remember anymore if it was sneezing, or what) that only happened at night.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#13 of 16 Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 AM

My asthmatic son always shows his first symptoms as a cough at night, often gone in the morning, with no detectable wheeze. But certainly allergies could run a close second, with post nasal drip being the culprit.
#14 of 16 Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM

I'm glad I stumbled into this thread. My 4 yo dd has these exact symptoms - nighttime cough for a couple weeks now and during the day she is fine. It wakes her as well as us. I'll get some covers and try keeping the window closed.
#15 of 16 Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM

My daughter had this all the time before we found out she was allergic to dairy. You could try an elimination diet and see if that works.
#16 of 16 Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Is the air in his room dry? Sometimes I wake myself up from a sound sleep hacking with such an awful tickle in my throat... it dries out.

Maybe try a humidifier?
I was going to ask the same thing.

My dd (5) has a dry cough at night during the winter, when our house is very dry. A humidifier helps a lot. During the summer I haven't noticed the coughing.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page