What parenting books do you like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a book that explains how to discipline children in a compassionate respectful way without corporal punishment. What books do you like? And what books do you suggest avoiding?
#2 of 14 Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

If you head over to the Gentle Discipline board, there is a sticky at the top with a book list.

Personally, I love Connection Parenting and Playful Parenting. I have a bunch of others and I generally like at least parts of them, but those are two that I liked all the way through.

I avoid anything by James Dobson (shudder). I'm also not a fan of the Love and Logic stuff, although I haven't read any of their books in their entirety. I have a friend that practices it though and from flipping through the book, it appears to be manipulative in a way I don't feel comfortable with.
#3 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM

I agree- you'll get all kinds of book ideas at the GD board!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#4 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks for pointing me in that direction too girls. I've always liked Toddler Taming by Dr Greene. It's honest and straight to the point and he doesn't "fluff" over issues.
#5 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm getting quite the collection -- but here are my fave's:
"Unconditional Parenting" (and anything else by Alfie Kohn)
"The Explosive Child" (which, IMO, is good for all children, not just the explosive types.)

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#6 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I avoid anything by James Dobson (shudder).
ME TOO!!!

I enjoy "Mothering's Guide to Natural Family Living" and "The Whole Parenting Guide"

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#7 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM

I really like Loving Your Child Is Not Enough by Nancy Samalin (I'm assuming you're talking about an older, verbal child). This book is similar to Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordon, and How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen by Faber and Mazlish (maybe?).

I like Unconditional Parenting for the ideas in it.

I really disliked Love and Logic.

Oh, and I like Secret of Parenting by Anthony Wolf if you think you'd do better on the stricter side of GD.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#8 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM

I was really inspired by Unconditional Parenting. My MIL swears by Ginott's Between Parent and Child and gave me a copy. I read part of it when Lu was a babe in arms, but haven't gotten back to it so I can't comment on it. Honestly, other than that, I'm not huge into parenting books. (I loved Last Child in the Woods, but that's not exactly about discipline!)

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#9 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
I really disliked Love and Logic.

Oh, and I like Secret of Parenting by Anthony Wolf if you think you'd do better on the stricter side of GD.
I didn't read Love and Logic, but a friend told me about it and it didn't appeal to me at all. And I don't like the use of the phrase "Oh how sad..." it just doesn't feel good to me.

I really like SOP. I try hard to implement his methods and generally do well with it but sometimes I fall into old habits.
#10 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 PM

I really like the "Positive Parenting" books.
#11 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 PM

I like the books by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. She takes a gentle approach, but explains it in a way that makes sense to people with a more punitive background. If you need to just get things under control, 123 Magic can be a starting point. It does use timeouts, and isn't as gentle as some of the books mentioned here, but it is a quick read, and has simple, straighforward advice. I think it would be a good start for a family that has been using physical discipline and can't see how to stop.

The vibe I got from some of the gentle parenting books I read was that basically I need to just cope with whatever my kid was doing without really explaining what the path would be to better behavior. But I haven't read any of the book mentioned here (except skimming a Positive Parenting toddler book).

I didn't like the Love and Logic books either-- too much of it was just mean.

ZM
#12 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM

i am rereading "playful parenting", and it is really awesome the second time as well as the first. it really gets into talking about emotions and how to help your child learn to work through them with play. it has been an excellent reminder for me of how sensitive children are, and how important it is for me to be sensitive for to them. i would recomend it to anyone who comes from a background where they were encouraged to repress their feelings.
#13 of 14 Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
playful parenting
easy to love difficult to discipline by becky bailey
the explosive child
#14 of 14 Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 AM

My four favs:

Playful Parenting (Cohen)
Hold On To Your Kids (Cohen)
Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves (Aldort)
Unconditional Parenting (Kohn)

The best,
Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page