need ideas for a "big" birthday present for 4yr old - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine got a personalized video made from her 5-year-old's pictures... and everyone in the birthday party loved it! The birthday boy was thrilled to see all his 'activities' come live on the big screen and he promptly moved the DVD to his personal drawer like a treasured gift after the show was over! The DVD was made by http://www.smilingsnaps.com and I am planning to get one made for my child's upcoming birthday too :-)
#62 of 70 Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
We have a green toys tea set and I really like it too.

I looked for the fortamajig on your site and didn't find it although it sounds very neat. I'll have to google it.

I'm glad this thread is here...My dd's 4th is coming soon in Sept. and I want to get her something special but it appears we don't have nearly as much stuff as Angela does...you make suggestions difficult.
PM'd you!

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#63 of 70 Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I haven't read the whole thread so I dunno if it's been mentioned already, but what about a playstand? I bought one a few months back VERY reluctantly as I didn't think they'd really play in it...*I* really loved the idea though...but to my happy amazement they are ALWAYS under it doing stuff, changing the silks over it, camping under it, etc. Big hit!

...and most ponies would fit nicely under it.
I was just going to say this. The reason being that we got our girls an inexpensive puppet theater a few years back. They loved it but used it as a playstand (storefront, ticket booth, etc) more often than a puppet theater. Now I am going to buy a nice playstand because the puppet theater is dead. I have seen many that would double as a puppet theater too.

Also, on the art stuff, we have lots of "art stuff" but my dd is always in awe over the kits that look professional.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#64 of 70 Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 AM

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but I'd go with a bicycle. $100 will buy a nice bike, good helmet and complete set of pads (plus a cute horn, streamers and basket).

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#65 of 70 Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 AM

Magnatiles!

My 4 year old dd has been playing with them since she was 1. My children play with them DAILY. Each box is about $100 and you need at least 3-4 boxes (because kids need - want more to make elaborate constructions). :

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#66 of 70 Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM

so I'm curious...what did she end up getting?

My dd is turning 4 soon and I'm debating between a fairy house or a vanity. I think we might go with the fairy house since she already has lots of dress up stuff....the fairy house might give her more play options although they are soooo expensive.
#67 of 70 Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I was just thinking I should bump this up. She got the magnatiles- which were a HUGE HUGE hit
Thank you for the suggestion! I didn't know about them somehow...

The only thing more popular with her was an after-thought from dh and I- the can-type stilts Those are the favorite, but the magnatiles will last longer I think.

-Angela
#68 of 70 Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani View Post
Magnatiles!

My 4 year old dd has been playing with them since she was 1. My children play with them DAILY. Each box is about $100 and you need at least 3-4 boxes (because kids need - want more to make elaborate constructions). :
OT, but does your 8yo son still like them too? I was thinking of getting them for my nephew but wasn't sure if he was too old. I was thinking of these or the magnetic puzzles with all the geometric shapes. Maybe I should get these for my neice who is almost 5 and the magnetic puzzle for my nephew who is 7.5 and they can share. Thanks!
#69 of 70 Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post
Okay, this is my final idea, I swear --
http://www.twirlygirlshop.com/reversible_dresses

-e
that is an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to spend for twirly skirts/dresses. i understand that your time is worth money, but really?

sorry...not the point of the thread.

my ILs bought our kids a tumbling mat from Constructive Playthings...it is a HUGE hit in when it's too hot/too cold outside, or when they want to play dancer school, or when their friends come over or when they are bored...
#70 of 70 Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
that is an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to spend for twirly skirts/dresses. i understand that your time is worth money, but really?
I get what you're saying, but I'd rather that Gma spend $75 on that than on a bunch of random plastic from TRU. My friend has seen them in person and says they're absolutely gorgeous and it was the hit of the 5=year-old party she was at. Plus, it's all handmade in the U.S. To each our own!
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page