4 year old has tiny bumps all over - what could it be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are everywhere, his back, legs, everywhere. They are colorless, don't seem to itch or anything. I would say they look like acne if anything, but they are EVERYWHERE and don't ever seem to get pussy or red like I would think pimples would.

He started getting them about a year ago and they appear to have spread over the last year to his entire body.

Any idea what the heck it could be? It's a 6 month wait to get in to the dermatologist!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM

I don't know what they are either, but a lot of people in my family have them, including myself. They aren't usually everywhere, though--sometimes just the back of the arms. On DS it's his legs. I've had some luck with a really good moisturizer.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 PM

It sounds like keratosis pilaris. My son has them on his arms and has since he was 2-3. I've read that flax seed oil or fish oil can help, but it's not a big deal for us. They usually get worse in the winter.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep, keratosis pilaris. I have it. It doesn't cause problems. You can squeeze them and get white material out, but they never get red like pimples. Weirdest thing ever.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Keratosis pilaris? Is THAT what that is? I get them all over, especially on the backs of my arms and my thighs.. I always kind of chalked it up to dried... ingrown skin? Because like you said, you can squeeze and get the little bits of skin out. Ew, sorry.

Anyhow. I find it really really helps if I have a good scrubbie for showers. Luffa, etc.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
It sounds like keratosis pilaris. My son has them on his arms and has since he was 2-3. I've read that flax seed oil or fish oil can help, but it's not a big deal for us. They usually get worse in the winter.

Yes, this! My DS has them really bad in the winter especially and fish oil helps a lot.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM

It sounds like you've gotten the answer but I thought I'd share this:

My DS1 (5yo) and DH had identical non-itchy, skin colored bumps on the back of their upper arms. (DH grew up being told it was "chicken skin" )

Our wonderful ND told me it is a vitamin A deficiency and sure enough, after eating sweet potatoes every day for 2 months, their bumps are nearly flat and gone.

Do a phone consult with an ND if you can (ours never even saw DS and knew); consider a needed supplement (or allergy)? Just a thought.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Wow thanks for the info girls. I think I know the lumps you mean or little pimple like things.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Stupid question: when you say fish oil helps, do you mean to take it orally or apply it topically?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostysarah View Post
Stupid question: when you say fish oil helps, do you mean to take it orally or apply it topically?

Thanks!
Orally, but you really should use a high vitamin CLO like Greenpastures Blue Ice or Radiant Life Premier Quantum Norwegian CLO.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Can you take your dc in to the primary care doctor??? I am going to guess it isn't something serious, but I would still rather be safe than sorry, kwim?

I had a strange recurring bumpy rash as a kid, kinda like pimples- there was some sort of cream they put on it. Steroid cream or antibiotic cream maybe??? Idk.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

Hi im new and i am wondering about my 2 yr olds skin. he has really tiny bumps all over his body. what is it and what do i do. o n how do u get a boil 4m ur vaginal area where we get our hair at down there becuz i need it gne b4 the hysterectomy tuesday june 3rd.

User Tag List