teaching phone numbers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how did you go about teaching your kids your phone number??
cell phone number??
did you teach one over the other?

I was thinking of doing cell # bc its always with me over the home phone..

yes, im a slacker, my 7 year old does not know our phone number... he knows where we live, street address and everything and knows how to dial 911, but I have yet to be successful at helping him to memorize our phone number...

i was thinking of doing it to frere jacque tune, but not sure which number to teach him.....
#2 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ahhh yeah I need to do that too. My daughter learned it by making sure her friends had it all the time. My son has no idea, I should sit down with them both and do this. I did make sure they could open their shades, unlock the window, open it and get out all by themselves in our new house. We live in such a small town and they are pretty sheltered, I guess I just never worried about it much, but now they are getting older... Plus they need to know Daddy's too.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#3 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM

My 2 older kiddos (5 and 6 1/2) have known my cell number for awhile now. My son since he was about 4. They just learned through repetition. We say it in kind of a sing-songy voice so it's easy to remember.

Sometimes when they're getting rowdy in the car I'll have them recite their address/phone number. I make sure they have lots of practice!
#4 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

You can sing pretty much any phone number to the tune of "Twinkle, twinkle"

For example:
"123-4561, that's my phone number, now I'm done."
"123-4562, I know my phone number, how about you?"
"123-4563, that's my phone number, yay for me!"
"123-1234, I know my phone number, that's for sure."

Etc.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

what about area codes?
our town borders another state so my cell is actually a different area code than our home number....

so im not sure if should teach the home number with no area code or the cell with area code or what!!! it all seems too confusing.
#6 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 10:09 PM

The preschool that my nephew attends (and my boys will be attending soon!) suggests teaching phone numbers by singing it to the tune of "When The Saints Go Marching In." But I don't think it works with area codes.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#7 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela&avery View Post
what about area codes?
Definitely include the area code, because most places are migrating toward area code plurality and requiring the area code for all numbers dialed, even within the same area code.

I think the OP should go with the cell phone first. A stopgap measure while children are still shaky on the phone numbers is to make sure they have it written down in their pockets. If you're really tricky you could have it laminated. Even with a kid who knows it by heart might have a brain hiccough in a stressful situation, and being separated from your family is pretty dang stressful for a little kid.
#8 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 AM

We just repeated and repeated and then repeated again.
#9 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 AM

I did this last year. I can't tell you the tune but it has one.

I know my phone number, it starts with 404 [area code]
XXX-XXX2 will get you to my door
X-X-X-X-X-X-2
I can say it fast, let's see how you do
XXX-XXX2
#10 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM

I use the tune to BINGO to teach my kids everything.
For example:
There was daughter who had a mommy and this is her cell phone
xxx-xxx-xxxx.

They learned to spell their names, house phone, cell phone, address.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#11 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Heh, I don't even know my cell phone #.

I only know my home # because we've had it for 11 years and it spells something funny.

I just asked ds what our address was and he said he had no clue, not the house number or the street name or the town!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM

I taught him his phone number and made it a song.
He knows his home phone, home address, 911, full name, nick name. etc. He knows it by head, still has problems writing the rest down except his phone numbers. he is very good with numbers!
Write down the phone number on a paper, have him copy the numbers, then without help, make it a song. make it fun!
#13 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM

I made it the password to get on his side of the computer, if he wanted to play a game, he had to know his phone number, he learned it real quick.

I'm getting ready to change the password to hubbys cell number soon. (evil grin)
#14 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM

We don't have a cell phone so there was only one number to learn.
I just incorporate our phone number into some writing practice for DS. He's 5 and we homeschool so it seemed natural to have him practice his handwriting sometimes by writing our phone number. He's more of a visual than oral learner. DD is only 2 but putting it into a song will definately work for her due to her learning style though it didn't work for DS.
#15 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM

Let them call you. A lot.

We write the number on a piece of paper, have our kids say it and have our kids dial it. Looking at it, saying it and dialing it seem to imprint it on their brains better than just memorization.
#16 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM

DH and my cell numbers both spell something. and so that makes it easy to remember, a bit harder when you're dialing. Of course numbers with a zero in them aren't good for spelling because they have no associated letters.

http://www.phonespell.org/
#17 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:01 PM

It is required learning in kindergarten here where I live. We taught dd our home phone, and dh's cell phone. She also had to learn our address, which we taught her by singing it like AnnetteMarie suggested.
#18 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
I made it the password to get on his side of the computer, if he wanted to play a game, he had to know his phone number, he learned it real quick.

I'm getting ready to change the password to hubbys cell number soon. (evil grin)
Right on!

My neighbour had here 3-year-old and similar-aged babysitting kids knowing their phone numbers on the swing set. She would pull them up high for a push, then pause (holding the swing) and say: "Quick! What's your phone number?" When they told her, she'd let them go.

They really thought it was fun.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#19 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM

I found the way the preschool I mentioned suggests teaching it.

Quote:
Phone Numbers:
A fun way for children to learn their phone numbers is to sing it to a recognizable tune. For example:
Seven! One! Six! (Said as a cheer)
Then, to the tune of "When the Saints Come Marching In:
"664-5203, Oh 664-5203,
I am learning my phone number... 664-5203!"

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#20 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM

Ds learned his instantly in preschool (with area code, they are different in each area here)...all they did was make a little inchworm out of paper with enough spaces for each number. The children decorated them and the teachers wrote the numbers on in big black marker.
After a day of playing with "wormy" and reading the numbers over & over to himself he had it down.
#21 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM

We just repeated it over and over until he had it. Now he's learning my cell phone. Its kind of easier but kind of harder. Its the same as our home number except the first 3 digits.
#22 of 30 Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm not sure how ds learned it, but he knew our home phone number and started saying it all the time just before we moved

Now I'm trying to get him to learn my cell number by repitition.
#23 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM

My 5 and almost 3 year old both learned our home phone number rather quickly after I made up a song about it. My cell phone number is much more practical to know, but I was thinking about kindergarten for my older son. I don't know when to try and teach my cell phone number. I don't want them to get the two numbers mixed up.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#24 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

seriously, it never occurred to me to teach my kids their home number or my cellphone number. They know how to call 911, but why would they need their home number?

I know DD has learned it, how I don't know, but DS hasn't. I guess because they are with me all the time I figure it doesn't matter. I mean, if a kid was lost, I would want them to know their last name and mother's name...but I assume someone would be looking for them. I don't know, I just can't figure out a reason to make sure they have it memorized.

Not saying it's bad or anything, this thread just made me realize I had never done it. Of course, I don't think it matters if they memorize the days of the week or months of the year either, but that's another thread..

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#25 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Well, my ds was just 5 and he was in an ambulance/EMT phase.
So we'd play "911" together.

I'd pretend to be the 911 operator, complete with silly voice and ask "911, what's your emergency?"
Then ds had to give his address and phone number so the ambulance could get to him. Then he got to make up some kind of outrageous emergency to go along with it.

Then he got to be the operator and I would pretend to forget our address. Ds was happy to let me know I was wrong and what the real address was.

So for me it killed two birds with one stone, he knew how to call 911, and he also knew the pertinent information. Of course, I also made sure he knew only to really call for a real emergency, we never had an issue with that.
#26 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 PM

My daughter just learned it from hearing me give it to people. I asked her this morning to see if she remembered and she now has the whole thing down -- area code included.

She's 5.5 and she's known it for awhile now . . . her ped asked if she knew it at her appt. in October, and she was able to recite it with me prompting her with the area code then. She also knows our address, but not the zip code.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#27 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM

oh, do i have some parental homework to do! it finally occurred to me to start teaching this stuff to my almost 5 yo son... he knows the name of the street we live on and the city, but not any of our phone #s. i knew i was in real trouble when i asked him what my full name was. he knew my first name but said my last name was "mommy". oops!

Mama to my talkaholic DS (Oct 2003) and my climbaholic DD (May 2007).
#28 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM

When DD was 3, I wrote our home number on construction paper and taped it to the wall over her play kitchen. Within a few days, she had memorized it. I did the same thing with her full name. I felt much better know that she could identify herself correctly and could tell someone how to contact us.
#29 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 AM

DD has just turned 5 and now can recognize numbers and is taking an interest in them, so I think I will teach her my cell phone number too- wonder if she can remember it (I never can LOL).
#30 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM

We made up a song... just the phone number to a little tune... and sang it in the car or while we were waiting for something or just whenever....

5 5 5 1 2 3 4
5 5 5 1 2 3 4
5 5 5 1 2 3 4
That is Penny's phone number.

We taught our girls when they were about 20 months old and three years old. We taught the home phone number, because at the time, we got a text message on the mobile when somebody left a voice mail on the home phone.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page