my baby chipped of part of his 2 front teeth :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 days ago my almost 1 year old desided to stand in the bathtub and was knocked over by his sister..i was right there but couldnt grab him in time..he chipped off at least 1/4 of each front top tooth and now they went partially back up into his jaw and they are loose and crooked! his regular denstist told me to nail file his teeth smooth but i took him to a peds. dentist and they smoothed them a little so i can still breastfeed. i fee like such a bad mommy cuz i didnt catch him in time has anyone had a child this small damage their teeth?

Stacy: Mommy 2: S, N, F, and : edd 1/12/11 praying for : or maybe : if DH will come around!
#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 AM

There is NOTHING you could have done to prevent this.

Has anyone made a decision about what should happen to your ds's teeth?

My dd chipped her teeth, but she was almost 4. I thought for sure the dentist would do something, but he didn't. It was a minor chip, though; no bleeding or loosening.

FWIW, I fell down a flight of stairs at about age 3, broke 4 top teeth and had a hairline jaw fracture. The most important thing I remember is that my mother was not allowed to stay with me during treatment and this had a very powerful negative effect on me. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to find a dentist who will be kind and gentle with your child and ALLOW YOU TO STAY WITH HIM. I would have been okay emotionally, had I not been left alone.

What a rotten situation. I often wonder how any children make it past the preschool age with their teeth intact, having them actually fall out on their own.
#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

I totally feel you..I still feel guilty and my little guys accident happened about 3 years ago.
I decorate cake and I was in the kitchen making flowers for a cake. DS (17 months old) was playing on the kitchen floor with toys and having a good time. Next thing I know he has walked over to the bakers rack and started to climb it..like a ladder! Before I could make it over to him he fell and got his bottom jaw wedged in between two of the wires (the shelves were wire slates) and when he and the rack hit the ground it had pulled both of him bottom teeth to where they were pointing down and out instead of up or down.I rushed him to the Air Force base dental clinic and they just used their fingers and pulled them out!! It was horrible. He was fine as soon as it was over and nursed all that night with no problems.

Its sucks but it is what it is an accident and it couldn't have been avoided. *hugs* mama
#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

My ds was under a year old when he chipped his from tooth. It looked really bad at first because the tooth hadn't even grown in all the way. Once it can all the way in it wasn't so bad. Then when he was 2ish he knocked the other front tooth out and it took years for the adult tooth to grow in.
#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM

my son was a little older than yours and he fell, right next to me. he smacked his upper teeth on a coffee table his gums were swollen and red and purple. i took him to the ped. dentist they took xrays and said everything looked fine but if the nerve had been damaged that over the next year or so they would turn grey they did, same dentist kept telling me it was no big deal. fast forward a few years. i take him to a new dentist and they tell me the greying is internal decay from a crack in the enamal. i told them about the fall and they greying being from the nerve dying and they said the other dentist was mistaken . he ended up with 3 crowns on his 3 front uppers, most scarring day of his life, he went back like such and angel and came out crying that they had hurt his feelings. it was a sad day but now he is perfectly happy with his crowns, they look great and work perfectly. don't feel like a bad mom, we can't stop all accidents from happening. good news is he'll lose that tooth and get a brand new one, just keep him from standing on a bathtub near big sis when he does lol . : he'll be fine, just keep and eye on it .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page