Mothering Forum banner

late night, late morning and school coming up

638 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  *Jessica* 
#1 ·
My dd is going to start half day K in about 2 weeks. Both of my girls go to bed late (9-10pm) and wake up between 8"30 and 9:30am. Any tips on changing their routine to be up, awake, fed, dressed and out of the house by 8:45am?
Thanks

#2 ·
Start seting a 'bedtime' and waking them up 15 mins earlier every day until you read 'school time'
2 wks is plenty of time for the little ones to adjust to the new scheudule and be already for school.

OTD at 845 in my house would mean up no later then 730, but i dontk now how fast your kiddies move or the am routine. Also my kids would do fine getting to bed at 9-930 and up at 730 so its going to be a trial and adjustment period... good luck

#3 ·
I am in the same boat. I agree with the increments. My kids normally go to bed at about 7:30ish during the school year, although my daughter is needing less sleep so sometimes I let her stay up and read after I tuck her in. When I go in at 9ish, she's always asleep. We get up at 6:45 and the bus comes at 7:20ish

I gauge bedtime by if they are awake on their own, or do I have to wake up little monsters
and occasionally they'll start getting up & playing at 5:00 and then I keep them up later until we figure out what they need. It seems to go in phases.

#4 ·
We're dealing with this, too. Nik and Nate start preschool in just over two weeks. We started working on an earlier bedtime last week. We just pushed bedtime back 15-30 minutes every night for a few nights and let them wake when they are ready. It has worked quite well so far, which was really surprising to me. Nik isn't particularly happy about having a bedtime, but he's doing it without too much grumbling.

Our only issue (and is was an issue before the earlier bedtime so it's nothing new) is that sometimes Nate, who just turned 3, gets super tired at around 4pm and falls asleep! Then he wakes up two hours later and is awake until well after 11 or 12. Then starts a crazy cycle for a few days of trying to get him back on track. 85% of the time he doesn't need a nap, but I don't know what to do on the days he does! I can't get him to sleep earlier, and I can't keep him awake; this kid will fall asleep sitting up while eating dinner! How this will work once he has preschool two days a week is a mystery!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.