4yo needs instant sensitivity training. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 is going through that typical phase in which she notices differences among people. But she seems to be experiencing some explosive verbal diarrhea along with that. DD1 would ask about differences she noticed quietly (still does). I'm very encouraging about childhood curiosity but with DD2 I am at the point of not wanting to take her out in public without a piece of duct tape over her mouth.

A few weeks ago she started asking about/pointing out differences much more loudly than usual.

Daily, she very loudly announces that someone has a wide/big body. The worst being a 10-12 girl. (She has a big body like Tracy (Turnblad; Hairspray).)

Frequently she announces that someone has a brown face. I guess she is just comparing to her immediate family, but we are constantly around friends, acquaintances, and strangers with darker skin so I don't understand why she is so amazed all of a sudden.

Today was that proverbial straw that broke the camels back. We were in the grocery store and a very familiar employee with downs syndrome greeted me. I asked how he was doing and we had a pleasant exchange. DD2 very loudly said "Why does he have a weird face?" He looked so hurt. I still feel like crying about it. I have talked to her about asking quietly, it's good that people are different, etc since she started to talk, but especially the last few weeks. Do you have any tips? I know that she is little and learning but at the same time at the very least I can't have her loudly saying hurtful things to disabled members of our community. A person with downs can't understand her comments the same as a regular adult.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page