Sept 04 mamas - end of 2008 thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay!!!!!!: I am so glad for our new mamas! I too knew immediately after having my third that I was not done. I couldn't put the idea out of my mind. So our fourth came a few years later! Augs, I am so glad you were able to experience birth the way you had wanted to. My births were all quick. It made the home adjustment longer, I think. I wasn't tired enough to stay in bed, it just wasn't enough of a load on me. But I paid in the long run. I know your family is sick and you have extra work, but be sure to rest. It is so important.

Yay for Anna and Jilly too! I can't wait to follow along!

I'll pipe in quickly about the kindergarten issue. I whole-heartedly support waiting. I did it with Owen and haven't regretted it at all. I thought about it for a long time and spoke with lots of mamas, many of whom had lauched their children into adulthood, and what I didscovered was that not a single mama who waited regretted it, but a number of moms who went them early wished they had done it differently. Owen and Eli are Novemeber babes and Zeke is a September babe. They will (or have) all go when they are six or about to turn six. Kindergarten is so much harder these days. I think it benefits them to give them an extra loving year at home!

So, don't forget to vote tomorrow!!!

K
#62 of 122 Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM

President Obama!!::

I'm happy. No matter who you voted for, we had a great election this year and we've done something historic- an African American in the white house- RUNNING it!! I'm kinda overwhelmed, personally.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#63 of 122 Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Is anyone dealing with the evil imaginary friend? Today Elizabeth told me that her imaginary friend Jola went into the closet while I was asleep and got the white September teddy bear out for her. Strangely enough, Jola looks just like Elizabeth, even down to the chopped hair!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#64 of 122 Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
President Obama!!::

Yah, I've done a lot crying and smiling today all mixed together...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#65 of 122 Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 AM

Have you ever noticed how much more time pregnant women have to lurk online reading and posting and reading and waiting to see someone react to their posts? Have you been there at 3 a.m. checking on the same thread you posted on before bed?

So i've been posting at my new DDC and it's weird... there are so many posts and so many threads and soooo many posters. I' don't really "know" anyone there (except for jilly) and it makes me think back to the first DDC, the Sept group that I got to know so well.

I remember when I first "noticed" Jen and realized Jo was a woman. When badomama posted about wild animals looking in her window. And when I found out Caroline's name was actually Karen. I remember when Shannon miscarried and how that made by blood run cold with fear. I remember blueviolet and the wisdom in her posts. I remember the ongoing photos of pregnant tummies. There was a point when I had a list by my computer with usernames and first names and pertinent information about the various women..... It was the only was to keep track of them! Where have you all gone ladies? Are you lurking? Have you lost us? How many kids do you have now? How have you changed?

That reminds me, I've been meaning to change my username from banana girl to something that reflects the woman I have become... it's funny the nick name Anna Banana is one I enjoy, but my life doesn't really revolve around me anymore and I don't see myself as a girl. I did then, with my first pregnancy I was unsure and was looking for guidance from other women. And I received it, the advice I needed to hear to follow a course of action I had not really considered untill the choice was before me.
But now, I am not a girl. I am a mother and a pack leader, I am a creator and an organizer, I am a chef and an artist. I am a birthing goddess and a lactating queen. I give to others of my time, my energy, my love... And I expect more in return. I expect patience and respect and understanding from those I surround myself with.

so, I'll ask you ladies who have known me for so long... any ideas?

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#66 of 122 Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

This coming from the woman who calls me and says "hey Jen, it's Anna Banana." How about the name of your blog - Banana Mamar Amor?

I desperately miss the small DDCs of old. I have shrunken my DDC world down to the November DDC "Kitchen Table" which is an ongoing chat thread of maybe 10-15 regulars. I can't keep up with the December group even though I swear I will deliver in December and not November. I was in charge of the roll call thread and it's over 200 women now. Insane. I have not volunteered to change the roll call thread to reflect births of babies; I know I am not going to have the time for it.

Anna, you should have seen how upset I was when I got word that Shannon has passed on. I could not stop crying that whole night. It's amazing to me what the Sept 04 DDC meant to me.

Sam - we don't have an imaginary friend here except for a couple of owls (yes, really), Uhu and Snowy, who like to travel along with us in the car. Sometimes I have to re-open my door or a window to let them in the car. My friend's daughter, however, likes to claim that her Dolly is the one who is responsible for all of the naughty deeds!

37 weeks yesterday. Phew! Time flies. And I have a pair of jeans that I think look SO good on me - they are probably equivalent to a size 14 or so and I haven't worn that since early college, I was wearing an 18 before I got pregnant - I am reveling in having lost half my butt and much of my thighs. Now I just have to keep eating the same way once little bro comes and see if I can get more exercise into my life so I can STAY this slim, because I LIKE it!!

Time for me to hit the hay. Anna, you know we love hearing about the pregnancies as much as the 4-year-olds. xoxo

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#67 of 122 Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beautiful post, Anna! I'm here - sort of.

Jen, can you point me to info on Shannon? I think I missed that.

It's been really rough around here the last week. A friend's DH (we've been very close to the family over the last 10 years or so) fell from near a second-story roof when his ladder malfunctioned (he was doing a roof inspection), and died two days later. : They have four little kids, 7, 5, 3, and 1. It's been pretty tough for all of us, as he and my DH were close friends, though we hadn't spent much time with them in the last couple of years. But, we were seeing him a couple of times a week at church and small group functions in the last month or so. So, it's all rather unreal.

And to top it off, the baby elephant at the zoo died! Seriously, there has been WAY too much crazy stuff going on here lately. We have friends who take their DD to the zoo every Monday, and she LOVED "Baby Mac," the elephant who just turned 2. The friend who died was her uncle. Thankfully the little girl is only 2, herself, so she probably won't remember forever that both her uncle and her favorite elephant died at the same time. Yeah, okay, that sounds silly, but good grief!!

I can't believe our babies are 4! Iain doesn't know that our friend died yet. My 6.5yo knows, but just by matter of availability, I hadn't told Iain about the injury, and so didn't follow up about the death. We'll see how it goes Wednesday with the memorial service. I imagine we'll end up telling him in response to questions.

He's such his own person. He's very shy, but can be the goofiest, silliest kid when he warms up. He can be super sweet, or intolerably obstinate. Of course he wants to be just like Gabriel. Iain's hair is still super long (he's had it trimmed, once, last Spring, and I only cut off about 5 inches [at the longest] to bring it all to about shoulder length when stretched), but he's said sometimes that he wants it cut short like Gabriel. He also wants to homeschool and take piano and Chinese, like Gabriel. And play baseball. I think one of the hard things with younger siblings is sorting out THEIR likes and interests. He took gymnastics over the summer, but was SO shy that he barely participated during the first half of EVERY class. And this wasn't one where I was supposed to be with him, but I couldn't leave the room. Challenging.

I was going to put up some pics of Iain to share, but my computer is being sooooooo slow right now. So here's the three boys at our Harvest Party:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremey/2984165071/

Pooh, Piglet, and Christopher Robin

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#68 of 122 Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Boy, that's one cute picture, Heather
#69 of 122 Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
And to top it off, the baby elephant at the zoo died! Seriously, there has been WAY too much crazy stuff going on here lately. We have friends who take their DD to the zoo every Monday, and she LOVED "Baby Mac," the elephant who just turned 2. The friend who died was her uncle. Thankfully the little girl is only 2, herself, so she probably won't remember forever that both her uncle and her favorite elephant died at the same time. Yeah, okay, that sounds silly, but good grief!!
It's not silly at all, sometimes in the face of bigger things, small things are alot more intense. And the death of animals is always sad, especially for children.

So on top of my ususal pregnancy nausea, both of my kids are sick with head colds.. running snot, constant coughing, fevers and whiny attitudes. Granted they are soft and snuggly little fever babies, but I really just don't want anyone touching my poor body, much less getting their snotty lips on me... uggh. I fear if I start coughing, I'll start puking, as I find myself on the edge of gagging a few times a day right now. I have been eating "meat glop" or other protein sources basically every hour or so... all day and part of the night. It's weird being hungry and tired of eating at the same time. I'm just so bored of sitting around in my pajamas, eating and napping and eating and watching tv... blah.

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#70 of 122 Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM

ugh, anna i'm there with you. i'm currently typing one'handed while eve nurses, thor sits on my left leg, anna on my lap, watching curious george, while we all cough and my head hurts and i think i slept abt 3 hours last night. poor eve who is two weeks today has crusty eyes. i've been sick since she was born and i'm tired of it! though so far having 3 kids isn't an impossible task -- it's a challenge but a good one.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#71 of 122 Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
so far having 3 kids isn't an impossible task -- it's a challenge but a good one.
Boy am I glad to hear that!!!
I am so sorry to hear that you are still feeling under the weather, the first few weeks post partum are so precious and intense... hope you all feel much better soon and you can focus on staring down all googly eyed with love at your sweet little Eve. Got any pictures of her to share with us??

Hey Becca what is keeping you so busy?

Jen I know what is keeping you so busy, but if you don't start posting more often I'm gonna start lurking in your DDC just to see what's up with you.

Heather I want to see photos of your beautiful long haired boy! Anyone else letting their boys grow their hair out? My oldest nephew (8 or 9) had really long hair untill last summer when he was visiting his Northern Wisconsin Grandparents... Grampa took him to the barber the first day of a 2 week visit. my sister couldn't believe (a) that he cut his hair without asking first (b) that it was possible to recreate Jim Carey's haircut in "Dumb and Dumber (c) that Grampa really didn't know that they, the parents would be upset about it!

Oh, i was just remembering that someone has been asking about imaginary friends and all the trouble they get into.. Mielle has had imaginary friends for a long time, some have come and gone, but "Alicia and Zoombie" seem to be here for the long haul. Mielle tells me about the naughty things they do and expects me to discipline them. Mostly she doesn't blame them for things she has done (that's what Jasper is for) She makes up silly things, like saying Alicia is running around on the ceiling, or throwing things at her. I've been encouraging her to discipline them herself, because i can't see them. Also I've been on a "Cesar's Way" kick in my parenting approach, and I've explained to her that Alicia and Zoombie are her pups, that she is a pack leader over them... so she needs to be the one to discipline them, calmly.
Yeah, I know that may sound weird, but I've been reading "Cesar's Way"... you know "The Dog Whisperer", well I've really resonated with the idea of being a pack leader. I am the pack leader of my family and that's ok. I don't need to apologize for being strong, someone needs to be. But because I am the pack leader, I am responsible for staying calm and assertive. I don't need to be angry, that's not positive energy and doesn't do me or anyone else any good. It began with my dog, but has spilled over into my dealings with kids and husband. Silly as it sounds, It seems to make a positive difference in our pack.

Goodness, I've written another epic poem on my life.....

Oh hey, who wants to read a 13 page birth story, full of vomit, animalistic misery and birthing glory???? Maybe I'll post it in my blog, that's probably where I should be writing these novels!

#72 of 122 Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 AM

Wow, Anna! That is one truly awesome birth story!!!

#73 of 122 Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome story, Anna! I haven't got the mental energy for anything more than that right now, but I'm so glad you shared it!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#74 of 122 Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

just got lab results today and found out that T is immune to chicken pox : he has been exposed 4 times since he was about 1.5 and never got a rash or was sick - the first time when he was 1.5 he got two dots, one on his shoulder and one on his leg and we thought no WAY can this be pox... but then he had 3 hard-core exposures @ pox parties with lots of spit swapping and nothing came of it. Had a titre drawn @ his physical... WAY high varicella IGG counts!!!

I promise you, all of you, I will let you know when something happens with this baby!! He's dropped substantially this week, and I've had some contracting and crampy feelings, but nothing else big is happening! I swear!

OK, 4yo is getting into stuff in the study, and I can't hear him and he can't hear me... best go check...

#75 of 122 Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Had a titre drawn @ his physical... WAY high varicella IGG counts!!!
:::

#76 of 122 Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Sweet about the pox immunity, Jen!

Anna, i can completely relate to the pack leader thing. it makes good sense. You know what else keeps me positive and allows me to refocus if I'm having a bad, low patience day? Well, a hot shower or bath always helps, but also, I have this "pie of life" graphic on the fridge and it shows basically the stages of your life, and the slice of the pie that is childbearing and babies/young children, and it is SUCH a small piece of the pie. 1/3 of your life is spent before kids, about about 1/3 is spent "empty nest", and about 1/4 is spent with older, school age kids. So it is such a tiny part that is with babies/toddlers/preschoolers. Somehow that always helps me focus. My doula says, "The days can be long but the years are short."

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#77 of 122 Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
My doula says, "The days can be long but the years are short."
I love that!!

Jen, WTG on the pox immunity!! : Ceci and Carl were exposed to the same strain you guys were- last winter, right? They had mild spots but all the other symptoms, so I decided they did indeed have it. I would like to expose them again, though.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#78 of 122 Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Hey quiet ladies!

Anna - I am so friggin' busy b/c I am now in law school. Apparently the first year is some sort of bizarre hazing ritual - they overwhelm you to weed out the ones who "can't hack it," then the next few years are more managable. but it's definitely a challenge - I teach M/W/F at the cooperative preschool (which also involves getting Eli to his PMO or sitter), I'm in class M/T/W nights (although my W classes are done as of me turning in 2 big papers tomorrow), and I need at least one entire weekend day to get ready for class or attend study groups (and sometimes I still have to stay at the library after class until 10:30-11 pm). So I hardly get to see the kids in the evenings or weekends (clint often takes them to visit his family over the weekend so I have the house to myself). I just really miss them! I have made a vow to never do schoolwork during "their" time in the afternoons - i have to do it late at night or on the weekends.

This week has been quite a doozy. I have 2 major papers due tomorrow, both of which I had submitted drafts for and had a lot of re-writting to do. My MIL came to watch Eli all day Thurs so I could go to school and work on them, and our school Harvest Parade was Fri, so she stayed for that. I came home Thurs night knowing I still had a ton of work to do (they were both several pages too long), and the people we are housesitting for called to say they were coming by over Thanksgiving to pack up things to give to charity - well the house is a SCARY dump (basement hasn't been swept in months, crap piled everywhere, just totally neglected for months). Then I ended up getting sick - been running a fever since Friday. And Clint, while cleaning the basement (bless him!) discovered the exhaust pipe of the heater was rusted out and split open - so the heater is leaking carbon monoxide into the basement! So I'm sick, freezing cold, under a school deadline, and under a big deadline to massively clean the house!! Wah!

I called out of work for tomorrow- hopefully I'll get some serious housework done. Wish me luck!

We did actually make it to services today - we try to visit at the UU church when we're all in town - and i think it was a needed moment of calm and reflection. Robin has been begging to go to church (we've probably been about 4 times in the past year, not counting funerals), and I asked her what she liked best about it. She said she liked sitting with me and Daddy without Eli (he goes to the nursery). How pitiful is that!? Poor kid - no time with our attention all for herself. My mom sings in the choir at her church, and Robin loves to go see her sing. Which I also loved when i was a kid - still do, actually.
#79 of 122 Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 PM

Looks like jen is in labor - Love and good vibes, lady!
#80 of 122 Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
Looks like jen is in labor - Love and good vibes, lady!
After lurking on other threads I found an announcement that "E was born at 1:30 am, that it was a surgical birth and she'll be in the hospital a few days" I will try to confirm this news and post again soon.

#81 of 122 Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM

I just lurked and found the same news!! I can't wait to hear his name! Congrats Jen!!
#82 of 122 Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM

How excited! congrats Jen!!!!!!!
I've been checking every few days to see if the baby was born!

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#83 of 122 Old 11-27-2008, 10:06 AM

I just woke up from the most ridiculous dream about birth..... please do not let it be prophetic!
The dream began in an ambulance with me arguing with the attendants about which hospital they were bringing me to. I was insisting they bring me WHERE I felt like going, not to the one we were headed to. They pretty much ignored me and patted my hand. Once I was wheeled into the building I had to wait in line to be admitted. The admitting area was a big open space with a counter, similar to the airport with lots of people at computers, directing traffic to and fro. By time I got to the counter I was livid and being uncooperative, insisting I wanted to leave, that I did not want to be admitted, that they should call me a cab. My mother arrived and found me forms that stated I wanted to transfer my care, but the hospital she found for me was 3 hours away! A doctor came to ask me stupid questions about if I wanted to have a baby today and I told him that all my signs of labor had petered off, because I was so distracted and pissed. He stayed really far away from me and kept looking at paperwork and saying, hummmm. He had great big enormous eyes that were slitted like a reptiles... He wrote some things down and left again. I could feel the blood running down my legs and some contractions, but mostly I pretended nothing was happening. After awhile the nurse told me that once they got some test results back I could go home. I demanded to know what tests and why. she looked so surprised. her mouth gaping open. When she said that it just involved an IV being inserted and a few chemicals added to my blood stream.... I went balistic, screaming at her that I wasn't interested in any damn IV and that I would give birth right here at her counter if they didn't let me go home! I kept shouting that I had given birth twice before and knew just what to do, that i didn't need them and they better back off!
I awoke, upset, but also laughing at myself and at my outraged indignation, and wondering why in the world I had called an ambulance in the first place, instead of Paula my friendly midwife.
silliness.

#84 of 122 Old 11-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you wonderful mamas! I hope you're all doing well.

I've been so busy I haven't had time to post, but have been keeping up.

Congratulations to Jen!!! Sending thoughts of healing and recovery, and Lots of Love.
#85 of 122 Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Congrats to Jen!

Silly dream, Anna.

I am just keeping my head above water here. I didn't realize Barq's bite was caffine and I let Andrew have some. He's been suffering from really awful tummy trouble, rashes and constipation ever since last Sunday. Dh had a brutal funeral to do last week, was gone all this week and today, just as he got back, he got called to another death, so no breaks for the mommy for the forseeable future, since there will be another funeral next week. I want to call a babysitter to come on Saturday, but can I really do that when Andrew's sick? It seems kind of cruel to everyone involved. Sometimes I really wish I had family around to help me, even though they are almost all manipulative and difficult to deal with. At least I would have someone to call when I just don't feel like I can handle it any more, instead of just half neglecting my children while I try to keep my head above water.

Well, I'd better go make sure Andrew is still okay -- he's been languishing on the couch for the last two days.

Hope your Thanksgivings are fun. We had our last month already.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#86 of 122 Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm here. wife and T have gone to Target to pick up a few things so it's just me and Mr. Snoozy on the couch.

Oh, what a long, strange trip. T had an intestinal bug last week that was manifesting in yucky loose stools and diarrhea (sorry for the info but it does play a role in the story!). I got it right after he had it and spent much of Thursday and Friday on the couch. On Saturday I went to my chiropractor in the morning and came home to nasty diarrhea... and contractions. Since they kept hanging around I put 2+2 together and called my midwife to ask whether it was possible that being sick could send me into labor a la taking castor oil. She said that it wasn't ideal (well, duh) but possible. I called my doula to let her know. She told me to go nap. I tried but wasn't really successful. T went to my mom's that evening and my doula came over. Things continued to intensify. My doula encouraged me to sleep and I tried but it's hard to wake up to contractions; you're already into one and can't prepare yourself for it. Nibbled toast, oatmeal, drank lots of water and gatorade... next day they were coming along fairly regularly, I was walking in circles around the downstairs, had to stop and get through each one. I eventually said that we had to leave because I was dreading the car ride and just wanted it over with. Had 5 ctx on the way to the hospital. Got there around 12:30ish I guess, was 100% effaced and dilated to 3, bulging waters. Kept on laboring, dilation stalled out. I let her break my membranes around ... oh, 7 or so? - I don't remember - the ctx got so amazingly intense then. (Remember I have been in labor now for about 29 hours.) At 33 hours I had dilated to 6 but the contractions were so painful that I was having trouble getting through them, so I made the decision to have an epidural. My body was going on very little fuel (although well hydrated) and very little rest. I responded to an epidural the same way that I did last time - my bp sank to the 80s over 30s - which caused baby distress, but they caught it. The plan then was to try to get me to dilate fully with a low dose of pitocin - the ctx by themselves were not strong enough anymore to make my cervix do anything - but baby also did not tolerate the pit well, so she turned it off and said we could try again in 1/2 an hour, to which my gut said no, bad idea. So I told her that we just had to do this surgically, because I was having a very bad feeling about the pit and the baby and I wasn't toying with it anymore.

Because I made this decision myself, for the safety of my child and after having given myself an amazing chance to do it myself (35 hours? you think that was long enough?), it does not hurt emotionally. I do not feel like I have been robbed of anything. It is a very different feeling than my last surgical birth. My midwife was wonderful and respectful, my nurse was fantastic, my doula deserves a very special place in heaven, my partner was not freaked out. Even in the OR I was treated very respectfully, covered with warm blankets, had my hands unstrapped when I asked, and Jo and baby were allowed to come sit right by my head after he was born and stayed for at least 20 minutes. I truly believe that because of this, I never had the chattering teeth that I had with T that lasted through surgery until he was put into my arms about an hour later. Jo and E just sat next to me, I gazed at him, he looked around, very calm and mellow. His apgars were better than T's, 7 and 8.

He lost his points on his apgar due to body tone, one of the characteristics of babies with Trisomy 21, or Down Syndrome, which surprised us all. Our chromosome test was confirmed today, but by now, none of us were expecting any other diagnosis. He most certainly has Down Syndrome. We have been spared an incredible concern in that he does not have any heart defects that are typical for up to half of babies born with DS, and does not at this moment have any great health concerns. Indeed, right now all we have to do, the ped said, is make sure he's eating and excreting. The eating is a hard one; he is very interested in breastfeeding but he has a poor latch, very weak suction and a major tongue thrust, and of course there's me and my abysmal milk supply which I'm sure many of you remember... a poor set-up for successful breastfeeding but you know what? can you believe this?: I'm over it. I'm so over it. I know that breast milk is good for him and nursing would be good for strengthening his mouth and helping him organize his suck and swallow, but if I have to feed my baby with a bottle, formula and as much as I can pump, so be it. My neighbor who just had a baby is also pumping for me, a couple of ounces every day, and it is just fantastic. I am not going to stress out over it. I have bigger fish to fry.

The emotional ramifications of the whole thing are mind-boggling. At times I am full of awe and honored that he/his angel/God chose us to parent him, and at other times - when I am tired, especially - I am bitter and angry. I am not bitter and angry at him - who could be bitter at a kid who's 7 pounds of pure snuggle power, with a head full of ash-blonde hair? - just at the universe for giving me this challenge when it would seem that it would have been just as easy to grant me an ordinary child with the correct number of chromosomes. But who am I to try to understand the workings of the angels?

One day at a time.

#87 of 122 Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 PM

i just had to pop in to congratulate jen! i'm a major lurker, only posted a couple of times, but i've lurked since the very beginning. i was on the Oct 04 ddc.

jen - congrats on the birth of your beautiful new boy! newborns are just heavenly!! and i'm so happy to hear that he doesn't have any heart issues.

i have a special needs child and he is just the most awesome kid i could ever have hoped for. there are some mamas on the special needs thread who could share their experience with feeding issues. it's a really awesome place to go for advice and support.

i think your range of emotions is very normal (special needs forum is great for support in this area too) as i know i still go through moments where i wonder why our lives have to be so complicated. but most of the time i'm just so happy that i have the kids that i have. my life isn't what i once imagined it would be, (who's is?) but over time i've been able to shift my way of thinking and can feel the joy that radiates from this kid i've been given. at times he has been my easiest kid because he is all about happyness and fun and pure joy.

the hardest part is the unknown. it's scary, i know, but eventually it becomes your new normal. not that it's always easy, but there comes a time when the future doesn't seem so uncertain. does that make any sense?

enjoy your snuggly little fella and wishing you lots of milkies and cuddles!

now back to lurking.

kathy::
#88 of 122 Old 11-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Dearest Jen....
I am so incredibly proud of you and filled with love for you and your family, that I'm leaking all over the place. Seriously, I've been sitting here in front of the computer weeping, loudly and copiously. It's very hard to know what to say in response to your news... all I know is that I have great faith in you. You are an incredible woman and your son is indeed blessed to have you for a mother.
Dang, here I go again....
Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help, we are only a couple of hours away.

All my love

#89 of 122 Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Hello Jen,

Thank you for the update and the whole "tale" so to speak... It seems like your second birth went amazingly well. I had to have a second c-section, but because I chose it, and chose the terms, it was like night and day. I did find that the recovery from surgery was a lot easier too the second time.... though longer in a sense.... like, a few months out as my belly was re-knitting, I was having more pain then than before.

As for little Mr. E (Eli, right?) ... congratulations! I hold you and him and your whole little family in a big embrace across time and space... And please, you must provide pictures asap for us of that little blondie.

As for who he is ... when I read that, I just immediately felt.... yes, this is the baby for Jen. Or rather, YES, Jen is the momma for this boy. It's like, I just have complete confidence in you with this particular being. I've seen the creative ways you've applied yourself to parenting and your life..... and you are the mom for him.

I know a tiny bit of what you have been experiencing in terms of the diagnosis, we went thru it with gingy. It turns out she has an eye condition that is genetic... duane's syndrome ... with often portends heart and other systemic issues. By the time we found out that she had no heart issues, we were just so grateful... nothing life threating... that what remained (lifelong vision issues, uncorrectable, probably multiple surgeries thru her life) seemed minor in comparison. I am so glad that E has no heart issues.

Big big hug from one of your virtual sistas....

in love n admiration,

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#90 of 122 Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

To all of you who want to know his name, I'm happy to share it with my friends, just not with the entire internet. My wife is a techie and it weirds her out to have any of our whole names shared on the internet and/or linked to each other. There are not many people online who have his full name. So just drop me a PM and I will happily share as long as we can promise to keep it to 'Baby E' on the boards.

I just want to say that the cranial-sacral work the chiropractor did yesterday on E really seemed to make a difference in his suck. He doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion, we've discovered he does love to suck, and I am HAPPY to be his human pacifier, kind of like pacifier with added benefit of antibodies?

Gotta go read the Cat in the Hat to big T.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page