Sept 04 mamas - end of 2008 thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That seems monumental, to say that this is the thread for the rest of the year but it is!!

All mamas of children born in Sept 04 are welcome here!

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Well done Jen... it was time.

How goes the pregnancy?

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM

I just got done laying bed with Jaden. I was reading one of the stories on the homepage of Mothering about the 20 year old who wanted her mom and the mom was reminiscing of when her daughter was a 4 year old fairy girl...Ah, stories like that bring tears to my eyes to think one day my little girl will be a woman.

Jaden's got preschool tomorrow and hopefully this baby will come soon. We are all very excited to see what it will be and Jaden is really hoping for a sister.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Carrie, I know, DH and I have just been talking about this -- how fast Thor is growing up now. DH had a moment a couple days ago when he was cutting Thor's toenails and he came back downstairs and he was like, "Thor's feet are HUGE! They're not little kid feet anymore!" And since then he's been kind of nostalgic and very concerned about spending time with him. It does seem like our 4 year olds are at that point where all of a sudden the years fly by, and they'll be 10, and then 15 (and then things will slow down a bit) and they'll be 20!!

Thor had a bit of a hard day at preschool yesterday -- was very clingy when I dropped him off and then cried a bit in the morning. I think the honeymoon period is over and he is a bit wary about it now. I hope that it doesn't get worse -- I just hate leaving him when he is sad/lonely/uncomfortable. He also only goes 2 days a week, so I wonder if it isn't enough for him to get into a routine?

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

They are growing up fast aren't they? And L is pretty bummed about being an only child so far. (doesn't look like we'll be adding to our family yet or maybe not at all). So we really are charged with filling in the gap of no one to play with here at the house. L has also turned into a "know it all" YIKES... It's so funny how he just is so sure that he has the answer, and is not to be challenged.

I am frustrated with our HOA... in that they seem to be bullying us and threatening to fine us and/or put a lien on our house if we don't pay up... And all we did is postpone tree planting from July until September. It's really a complicated story, but I don't want to pay as we are not making any money and are actually going in debt each day by just even buying groceries. Anyways, my dh thinks we should just pay and get it over with. I'm too stubborn to think we need to pay.

Other than that yesterday was a busy day... I baked a carrot cake from scratch, painted the front porch, babysat the neighbor girl, and got dinner for dh's aunt & grandparents. Today I'm hoping to be a little more low-key.

Hope you're all well.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM

....forgot to subscribe...
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM

I love hearing about all you pregnant mamas! I miss those days, but I can honestly say I am done and glad to not be there right now. But whenever I see a pregnant mama, I get a bit nostalgic. There is a pregnant mom at Zeke's preschool who was freaking out the other day on our field trip to the orchard. She was yelling at her three year old boy to "get out of the long grass! There are bugs there! and snakes! Get out! Get out!" Oy vey! That poor mama is very stressed out! I felt so bad for the boy. He already has a rep as being a bit difficult, and I couldn't help thinking that she must not let him outside at all! He is probably so craving outdoor sensory experiences. What's gonna happen when that new baby is born? Hope she can find a way to relieve some of the stress.

We are all doing well. I follow all the posts but rarely have the time or energy to post one of my own! Zeke has started a 3 y/o program 2 days a week. He is pretty immature and I just felt this was the right place for him. He seems to be doing well, but does get weepy when I leave. They say he perks right up after I am gone. It is a bit heart breaking! When I pick him up, he is happy as can be, so I guess it is all going well.

He has three imaginary friends, Lap, Andrew and Eric. I swear Lap derives from sitting on my lap -- something he loves to do but I think he has sensed that he is growing out of it. Owen and Zoey don't do it. He doesn't see his friends doing it. So Lap is his security and has become the one who does all the bad things Zeke wants to do, but knows he shouldn't. He also does the things Zeke would like to but is to afraid of, like fight of dinosaurs and bad guys. It's all pretty hilarious. So last week a boy at Owen and Zoey's school died in an ATV accident. It was very heartbreaking. We discussed it at home and Zoey and I had some tears over it. That night, Zeke told us that Lap and Andrew and Eric went to fight a dinosaur, and they died. He told this literally hour-long story. In the end, Lap's friend, Jumbo Lap came and is now Zeke's friend. What a mind that kid has!

I decided to go off my diet and try split-pea soup this week. It did not go well. I have been feeling so yucky since. I really thought it would be okay. I have been going to an acupuncturist and she didn't feel I was allergic to legeumes. So I tried and within 15 minutes, I was feeling awful, and now days later am still not right. I am hoping it will clear quickly. Other than that, the diet was going well and I was feeling pretty good.

Looking forward to reading more from everyone!

K
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 AM

Kristin-
so glad the diet is working well.... wow, that pea soup really proved it!
how are you all fairing up north?
We've already got our woodstove fired up, have four cords of wood and are collecting masses of kindling (we need it, we have a tiny stove that needs restarting a lot). I love the fire.... and with fuel oil the way it is, I better love keeping it going!

I'm down to NYC to help my mom have a hip replacement. It's the first time I've left the kids (lulu's four, obviously, and Gingy is two). I am really worried about how it will impact them. I remember Lulu had a hard time at two when I was in the hosp. for a few days having gingy. ANd she was visiting me....

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Liz -- I'm so jealous of your woodstove. I've been smelling woodsmoke in the air and so wishing we had one. In the house we're renting they just took the woodstove out before we moved in and now they're going to replace it with a propane or a pellet stove.

Kristin -- Glad your diet is going well!! Yeah, at this point I'm fairly glad that this is my last pregnancy.

I'm not *that* uncomfortable, really, but it's enough so that I am going to be so glad when I'm not pregnant. I'm nearly 37 weeks, and very much hoping baby is born within 2 weeks, but that's probably too much to wish for! I'll probably go to 40 weeks, which would be Halloween. A friend of mine here just had a hba2c and it went well, except it was 30 hours of active labor and 4 hours of pushing. Please, universe, let mine be a bit less!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 AM

Any babies yet?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just subbing, in case the slow pace of the thread allows me to keep up.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM View Post
Liz -- I'm so jealous of your woodstove. I've been smelling woodsmoke in the air and so wishing we had one. In the house we're renting they just took the woodstove out before we moved in and now they're going to replace it with a propane or a pellet stove.
I know... there is something so self-sufficient and earthy about a real woodstove. i think pellet stoves (especially if there is a little glass window to watch the fire...) are really nice tho kind of canned. But on a cold day.... hey even a propane stove is super nice. And pellets and propane are a lot cleaner and easier than wood!

i read recently that even a pellet stove is fifty percent cheaper than heating by oil or gas.

so there is that too!

liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, I am hoping that they put in a pellet stove. I think I'll call them and request it, actually.

I know that janasmama had her baby -- I regularly lurk the Oct DDC! :

Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Congrats Janasmama!!! I'll head over to read more... :::

She had a little girl - Annalise. From her pictures, it looks like a lovely home waterbirth! Congrats again!

Soooo.....I just got my first PP period (Eli is now 19 months, and weaned as of last friday). I'm using the diva cup for the firt time - and feeling it. Feeling very aware of the tail, and poked by it. Any other Diva cup users? do you just get used to it?

Kristen - I'm so glad that the diet seems to be making such a big difference. All my good vibes your way!\\

By the way, there's a pretty good chance Eli is our last, and I'm so sad that he's weaned. He was only asking at nap and bedtime, and clint is putting him to bed as much as 5-6 nights a week, and sometimes he naps for the sitter when I'm on my way home from work. With my cycle returning and thrush, it had become unbearably painful to nurse - but I still wasn't ready for him to stop asking. He seems so big, and still like a baby at the same time. I just wish I knew that it was the lst time when he last nursed. I would have treasured it. I'm all teary when I think about it.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

becca, you either have to get the cup in a little further or trim off a tiny bit of the tail. I was feeling it too, at first, and found that it just needed one more twist and a bit of a shove further up and then I was fine.

Isn't it amazing how emotional nursing can make us? Maybe he's not done asking... wait and see I guess. Hope that thrush is gone!

No baby on the outside here. Just a kicky little fella inside.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
I just wish I knew that it was the lst time when he last nursed. I would have treasured it. I'm all teary when I think about it.
I had the same "missed" experience w/Gingy. I planned to do it a certain day, our last nurse, and she stopped a few days ahead. I really regretted that I didn't know that it would be our last nurse ever together. And my last nurse of any baby EVER. SNIFF!!!!!!

With Lulu, we picked a night and I knew it was the last time.

Both girls made it to a year and a half. I was so glad, with each, when it was over. But now with some distance, I do miss that easy, perfect closeness, that ability to so deeply satisfy them.

But today, at a wedding, gingy, who is two years, fell asleep in my arms during a wedding. I shifted her to lying down in my lap, just like she used to do when she nursed. It was wonderful. We haven't had that prolonged snuggle time in six months. I treasure it.

We've gotten to the point that we can put both girls down (lying across a queen sized futon, instead of regular way) and they sleep together. I was away helping my mom getting a hip replacement and my husband started it. It's wonderfuL! they co-sleep w/one another. Until now my DH has slept w/gingy, and me with Lulu.

But like with the nursing, and the weaning, I wonder if this new sleep arrangement that seems so liberating is actually a loss of our bond.

last night I ended up sleeping between them. I slept better than just on some big old bed all by myself! (my dh snores so can't sleep w/him).

TTFN

Lix

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 AM

Ah, thanks for keeping up w/ me guys. i feel so special.

we're adjusting really well and jaden must say that she loves her baby sis like a million times a day. Annie seems to really like her a lot too.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Congrats again, Carrie!! How exciting. I'm both very anxious and ready to birth, but also consciously trying to not think about it too much and be patient. It's a weird stage to be in!

I'm a bit sad that Anna isn't nursing anymore, either, but she was almost 2 when she weaned and was so ready to. She didn't even understand how to latch anymore, since I was pregnant and had no milk. But I can definitely understand the feeling of the loss of that bond. Now I'm looking forward to nursing a newborn again, but almost wondering what it will be like, since it seems like it was so long ago that anna was a newborn.

I uploaded a few new pictures on my facebook profile if anyone wants to check out my pregnant belly and some good pics of Thor and Anna.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Good Pix ashley - I friended you. Thor looks so big now! You guys are so bundled up. It's in the mid-80's this week - we're in short sleeves here.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

It was 39 when we woke up today. Mmmmm, wool sweaters.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Carrie: Congratulations! :

Becca: I cut that tail off and never looked back. It is so.much.different. without it. I went from having pain all the time to never having pain again.

Ashley: Love those pictures! Your little blondies are so cute!

Elizabeth is still nursing, and I try to say yes to her every time she asks because I know the end is near. We were down to just before bed, but since I work nights sometimes five/six nights a week, Grawnee is putting her to bed, so it's hit or miss every day. She nursed yesterday for 15 seconds, but didn't nurse for two days previous. I think I only have milk on one side.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Weaning days are so sad. Iain's been weaned for a year now, but it's still sad to think about it. He said for quite a while that he remembered nursing, but I don't know that he does now. It was so sudden, kind of like you're describing, Samantha - with going a few days, then nursing, then not for a while - that I don't even know when he last nursed! It was sometime between July and the end of September, when the baby was born (last year).

He's such a different child than my first! He's very clearly a slow-to-warm up personality. He can be VERY slow, but when he opens up, there's this fountain of thoughts and ideas that he stores up inside. He's always been a studious observer. It's great to actually hear what's going on in his head now, though it does make it even more dramatic the differences in his mood and personality!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:53 AM

I'm gonna cut off the tail. Otherwise, I'm in love with my gladrags and diva cup! A good first PPAF (at 19 month pp)! Robin spied my pink polka dot gladrags and was very interested - she wants some too, I think.

So, I got a mirena IUD inserted Thurs...and totally passed out on the table. I used to pass out fairly often with medical stuff, but really haven't since Robin was born. I wasn't expecting it. I had thought that something shifted when I had her and my weirdo panic disorder was a thing of the past. but the process was more painful/uncomfortable than I expected, and I guess feeling my uterus get tugged was more than I could take. i hope I dig the IUD, b/c i don't want to go back and get it taken out anytime soon!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Becca, just so you know, getting it taken out is completely, totally different than insertion. I didn't even feel the taking it out part -- it was a very gentle tug and then out. Getting it in, not so much fun, but I had mine inserted at 6 wks PP and the midwife said it was the easiest insertion she's done in a long time! I guess my cervix was still open some.

I don't know WHAT to do for birth control this time around. We know we don't want more kids, but the IUD doesn't work for me because of my slightly irregular uterus. I can't do hormonal b/c... DH says he will get a vasectomy, but I know he doesn't really want to and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant about it... the sort of unknown side-effects. There's really nothing perfect!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

well, augs, if you can't do hormones, your options would either be barrier methods, either one of you getting the snip-snip, or, um, abstinence...

I'd suggest monogamous lesbianism as a superb form of birth control, but it doesn't appeal to everyone works like a charm for us though!!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

My son has been "making cake" for nearly an hour in the kitchen.

"Cake" started with leftover white oak bark and witch hazel bark from an herbal infusion I made yesterday which had not all made it out to the compost yet today.

It then needed some nutmeg, because he was making custard.

Then he came into the dining room and fetched the salt and pepper grinders.

Then he worked fastidiously for a while, and I didn't pay much attention to him because I heard him talking to himself, transferring barky bits from bowl to container to bowl and occasionally dropping this and that and muttering "shoot" to himself.

When I came out to the kitchen, I found out that "cake" now included:
  • almost an entire bottle of herbs de provence
  • 3/4 of Jo's bottle of vanilla syrup (for making flavored steamed milk)
  • a couple of tablespoons of Coca-Cola that were left over in a can on the counter

In a few minutes it also came to include some more water.

It had to be distributed into many different containers including some spice containers that were in his reach that were empty.

And then he tried to cut it and it went ALL OVER the counter.

Mmmm.... cake.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 AM

YUMMY!!!!

Oh, and hee hee, I'll suggest monogamous lesbianism to Tony and see what he thinks! He'd probably be more supportive of that than abstinance (and so would I).

Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

well, when we were filling out the few lines on my chart for "post-partum plans" last time around, one of them was "planned birth control?" and I told her 'monogamous lesbianism' and not only did she laugh, but she wrote it down. I loved that midwife...

Old 10-23-2008, 11:52 AM

Here you all are! I wondered where everyone had gone.

Jen - the cake sounds delicious. yum yum.

Carrie - congratulations!

zen-oz -- so glad the diet is working and you were / will be feeling better.

Becca -- sorry you're sad about weaning.

I am really ready for Aaron to wean, but he's no where near ready. I've finally convinced him that he doesn't need to nurse between 8 pm and 4am and that is about all he can handle. He's still nusring every hour or two and cluster nursing morning and evening. I am so worn out and it looks like we've got another six months at least to go. He has a much more pleasant personality than his brother, but he is even more persistent and energetic. I think I want a third, but sometimes I don't know how I would manage. I already feel like all I do is clean and referee all day.

Andrew has been waking up super early in the last two weeks. We're talking between 3:45 and 4:30 early. I don't know if he's just extra wired from playschool - he's complaining of sore tummies and too much noise everywhere, too, or just wanting time with mom without Aaron (you would think he would figure out that screaming "MOM! MOOOOM!"at the top of his voice would wake up Aaron by now), but its very annoying. After a week of it I've now decided that we're not watching tv in the morning and that I'm not getting up before 5:30 or 6 -- he can get up by himself.

Other than that, we seem to be doing pretty well. He's obviously a detail oriented person, because he started drawing people, but then after one he got mired down with drawing their joints and their brain. Yesterday after we did a craft at library story time where they made faces on paper plates he was really quiet all through lunch and then finally said, "Faces are not circles."

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM

Are you all moms of Sept babes sending your kiddos next year to kindergarten?

I am assuming Lulu will be socially and academically ready, but I guess we are sort of cuspy here. The cut off in my state is October, I think. Or perhaps Dec. Unsure.

What thinketh you all?

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.

User Tag List