Easy to open lunch containers for a kindergartener? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds1 told me the other day that the lunch helper told him to start using bags instead of containers since he can't open most of his containers himself. My dh thinks I should just use bags until ds1 can open the containers without help. I would much rather find some containers that work better for 5 year old hands. Any suggestions?

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#2 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 PM

if you are not opposed to plastic, ziploc makes screw top containers in various sizes and my son has no problem opening these.
#3 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM

I saw a little girl in my son's preschool who had a container that was very easy to open. The bottom piece looked like any other plastic container but the top had pieces that extended from the four sides and folded down and clicked it shut.

I believe I saw these sold at Costco. I am not sure as to the quality or durability but the 3 year old was able to open it by herself.

Hope this helps
#4 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
crl

DS has some stainless steel containers from Pearl River that are quite easy to open. They were fairly cheap and have held up fine to regular use and being put in the dishwasher. They were made in China though.
#5 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd1amommy View Post
if you are not opposed to plastic, ziploc makes screw top containers in various sizes and my son has no problem opening these.
My 5 year old could open these easily (and in general I'd say his opening abilities are not great) We moved on to small glass mason jars with lids (as I am concerned about the amount of plastic exposure and use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMi mama View Post
I saw a little girl in my son's preschool who had a container that was very easy to open. The bottom piece looked like any other plastic container but the top had pieces that extended from the four sides and folded down and clicked it shut.

I believe I saw these sold at Costco. I am not sure as to the quality or durability but the 3 year old was able to open it by herself.

Hope this helps
You can now get these with glass bottoms and the clickable plastic lids too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
DS has some stainless steel containers from Pearl River that are quite easy to open. They were fairly cheap and have held up fine to regular use and being put in the dishwasher. They were made in China though.
I also use a bunch of stainless steel containers - lifewithoutplastic.com has a whole variety that are easy to open and a nice size for the younger ones. HTH
#6 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 04:31 PM

The Laptop lunch system is also really easy for kids to open. I don't generally send wet foods like apple sauce, so I don't bother using the lids. The lid of the case comes right to the top of the individual dishes, so as soon as he pops open the lid, there's all the food ready to be eaten. As an added bonus, I find my son is way more likely to eat the fruit or veggies I send when they're right there with everything else, no opening of anything required. When I used to use bags, he would never open the fruit or veggie bags.
#7 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM

We use a laptop lunchbox and love it too!
#8 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have never seen the ziplock screw top containers, but think I may have seen the ones with the clickable lids, but not in the right size.

I send soup with my son fairly often. I have a thermos for him. Could I put a thermos in if I'm using a laptop lunchbox? (He is actually one to eat all the fruits and vegetables and leave the other parts of his lunch untouched.)

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#9 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela View Post
I send soup with my son fairly often. I have a thermos for him. Could I put a thermos in if I'm using a laptop lunchbox? (He is actually one to eat all the fruits and vegetables and leave the other parts of his lunch untouched.)
A Thermos wouldn't fit in a Laptop Lunchbox. We have a LTLB for our son and another lunchbox for days he takes a Thermos. When he takes that one, I have some little Lock & Lock containers for him. He has no trouble taking them off. He's in first grade now, but used them in kindergarten as well.
#10 of 12 Old 10-03-2008, 01:47 AM
crl

We have the laptop lunch box too. I agree a thermos would not fit inside. When I send soup, I just put the thermos in the bag (we use a NY built gourmet takeaway) with the small container from the laptop lunch box filled with fruit. (Plus a klean kanteen for drink and another container with afternoon snack.)

Catherine
#11 of 12 Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Hope this helps

Lock & Lock containers work this way and are very easy to open. They are BPA free, very durable, and leakproof. They sell the indivdual containers at Target and plenty other places.

http://www.lunchsense.com/ sells a nice set with a outer container, drink box, and cold pack.
#12 of 12 Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Lock & Lock
Quote:

Hope this helps
The quality is amazing, they are sturdy have an amazing gurantee and the seal comes out to clean, I totally love them.
I'm sure your LO could get them open (and closed) my arthritic grandmother and great grand mother love them!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page