6/7 year old...starting pubery early? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone out there has any advice of information on this?

I have a daughter who turns 7 today, and I think she may be showing signs of early puberty? I was putting her seat belt on her 2 days ago and noticed her armpits smelled like adult body odor, and the same thing the next day. I had thought this sort of thing wasn't supposed to start until 4th grade or 5th grade. So I looked online and also saw another sign of early puberty was an increase in body hair and realized we've been teasing her all summer because her legs and arms have gotten hairy- not abnormally so but I keep telling her she's definitely part Italian.

I have a doctor's appointment for her in a few days, but was wondering if anyone out there was experiencing anything similar?

She is a healthy girl, not overweight (@80th percentile for both height and weight), and she eats healthy things but she's ALWAYS (since an infant) had a bottomless pit kind of an appetite! Her feet are almost my size already (i am a size 6 1/2).
#2 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 01:33 PM

I couldn't read and not post, even though I'm not sure I have anything useful to say. I definitely think you should see what the dr/HCP has to say about it.
When I was in third grade (so 8 or 9, I guess) my skin starting breaking out. I clearly remember my mother saying, in a tense worried voice, "But you're too young for this!" and I really felt like it was something bad I had done.
Because of this, it really struck me when I read an article a few years ago (don't remember where, sorry) saying that the early stages of puberty for girls normally do start much earlier than we had previously thought. It's a complicated process and takes a long time; menarche and growing breasts are just parts of it.
On the other hand, puberty also starts earlier with each generation.
And then again, there is evidence that environmental factors (endocrine disrupters like plastics and whatnot) are causing unnaturally early puberty in girls.
I don't know the answer, but I did want to let you know that it may be perfectly normal, and just something we weren't aware of before, but that you should definitely follow up and share the information you get with your daughter in an appropriate way. If you have noticed changes in her body, changes are good she has noticed them too, and she needs you to help her understand them as good and normal and just part of who she is, part of growing up, and not something that is "wrong" with her.
HTH.
Hugs, mama.
#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 PM

My dd is 8 (9 in December) and puberty is absolutely starting with her. Her hips started to widen last year and now her face is starting to break out. She also has times when there is no doubt in my mind she is having extreme hormonal surges. I began puberty early and I just hate that it's happening to her, especially since she's relatively immature socially.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page