almost 4 yo ds suddenly referring to self in 3rd person... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-29-2001, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea why. Anytime he wants something or tells me about something that he did he says "Emmet wants milk." or "When Emmet grows up he wants to work with Papa."

It's starting to weird me out....

Is it a phase or cause for alarm?
#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2001, 08:18 PM
m&m

it could simply be a stage of him learning who he is in relation to the world - he finally understands that he is Emmet, you know?

Or, it could be a sign of stress - if circumstances have changed in any way for him he may have regressed a little -

either way, he will grow out of it though -
#3 of 6 Old 11-29-2001, 11:30 PM

Do you talk with you in 3rd person? Like i'll sometimes say...."mommy want a kiss" or "will you bring that to mommy?"
I think lots of parents do this. So maybe he is trying to be like you!

BTW....It's nice to see you around Treelove! My twim sis just had twin boys a few days ago and I thought of you!
#4 of 6 Old 11-30-2001, 11:04 AM

I have to agree with a, there's nothing to worry about.

IMO, children experiment with language all the time.
#5 of 6 Old 11-30-2001, 02:20 PM

My dd did this when she was about three. She was just really impressed with names. Untill then she just kinda thout everyone had the same name (all the ladies were called mommy, all the men daddy, strangely enough most of the girls Hannah) when she realized everyone had there own special name she was so thrilled to use it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 6 Old 12-05-2001, 12:49 AM

Like Missgrl said, talking about yourself is enforcing the third person. My dd #1 always refers to herself in third person. She has been doing this for a long time. But I always am saying "mommy has to . . ." and when I need her to do something it's "Emma this or that" She hears her name a lot. But the funnist thing is when she says "Emma do it myself" She is mixing tenses!! I know she will learn, but it's so cute right now . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page