Do you take your kids when you vote? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has our oldest with him at the polls right now! the babe was sleeping when he left to go.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#62 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Absolutely - I think it's an important value to instill. i remember well being in the booth with my mom, back when there were handles and levers! It seemed so magical.

We're in Atlanta, where early voting lines have been 2-8 hours long, and a friend took her 2 girls in the double jogger and got pulled to the front of the line. That's a brilliant model, IMO. I agree that if your kids can't take the wait, it's not worth torturing them and yourself.
#63 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Yup my kids go everytime. I am a bit worried this year about my Dd electioneering, though.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#64 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM

We did early voting & both boys came with us. In fact DS1 got upset when we asked him to stay w/ me while DH actually filled out his ballot because he wanted to see Barack Obama too. : We had to explain to him that the canidates aren't actually there. He was quite disapointed.

I on he other hand, NEVER went with my parents & was scolded by my mom once for asking my grandma who she voted for. :

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#65 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 PM

We vote by mail. We are very into politics here so DD will definately be involved in related conversation and can certainly watch us vote when we do it - even if it is at home.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#66 of 92 Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM

yes! I loved going with my mom when I was young. I'll probably go before I drop him off at school and hope the lines aren't too too long... (VOTE!!!)

2004 2009
#67 of 92 Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 AM

I always try to take DS with me to vote. I think it is really important for him to see us participate in the election process. We talk with him about the candidates and issues (on his level) and how important it is to actively participate. He likes to tell everyone who he is "voting" for!
#68 of 92 Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 AM

yes, i think it's great to expose my son to the whole voting process. there's always such a buzz at the polling stations.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#69 of 92 Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Dh and I early voted 6 days ago. The only kiddo I took with me was the babe who was asleep in her wrap. The poll workers were impressed that I was there voting at 12 days post partum.

Our older boys voted in their school on Friday. My 9 y/o reported that Obama won by a landslide!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#70 of 92 Old 11-02-2008, 02:13 PM

I'll be taking my kiddos with me. I have three: 3 yo, 1 yo, and 4.5 mos old. I want them to see first-hand my voting and learn to take a stand about issues in the world.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#71 of 92 Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM

I'm taking DS. I took DD when she wasn't in preschool yet too. I could take her into the voting booth with me when I went

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#72 of 92 Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM

The last presidential was my LMP for DD, so I've never taken a child to vote with me before. I do remember going with my Grandpa. One year they had little ballots for the kids to vote on, too.

DH and I live a block from where we vote. We'll probably take the kids and take turns watching them while the other votes. DD is turning into quite the political nut, so even though she's young I'm sure she'll be excited. She can identify all 4 P/VP candidates and knows how to pair them.
#73 of 92 Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I have to bring them-- what else will I do with them? I don't have anybody to care for them while I'm there. I guess I'll have to have somebody there watch the babies for me while I'm in the booth, because the double stroller won't fit, and if I put DD2 and DS down, they'll be touching EVERYTHING. But I'll take DD1 into the booth with me. She's actually really excited about it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#74 of 92 Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Wouldn't go without them! It's always interesting though if you have to wait for a while. Luckily our is in a BIG gym where they can be crazy and not get in the way of the booths.....

I've had to teach DD1 that it is not appropriate to ask everyone whom they are voting for, especially because she feels the need to comment on their choice based on whom she knows I am voting for!
#75 of 92 Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup, they'll be going with us tomorrow.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#76 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 AM

I remember going with my parents when I was a child, and my kids go with me now and they love it! I am homeschooling dd this year and she is really enjoying learning about the whole voting process and how a president gets in office. It is an exciting day for all of us!

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
#77 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesa143 View Post
We do. DH and I take turns watching them while the other votes. I think it's a great way to introduce them to it.
we do too. my dd is super excited about it-she realizes it's a big, important election, and has even laid out a special "going voting" outfit to wear, lol. she's 6

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#78 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlr View Post
Though last year my older daughter thought we were going "boating" and was totally bummed out by how boring voting was.

I do take my kids with me. I either take them out of school to go do it, or take them late. I make a point to bring them with me because it opens up fantastic conversations.

ETA: DS1 was kinda bummed though this time around because we can't bring anyone (even our kids) to the voting station where we actually fill out the ballot.
#79 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Yes. Well I'm taking my 6 year old. He's shown lots of interest in the campaigning this year so I think he'll enjoy going. I asked him last night if he wanted to come along and he said "sure! Who we voting for?"
#80 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 01:01 PM

I've taken my kids in previous years. They love it. Usually they'll be given an "I voted" sticker too...which they think is very cool. This year I voted via absentee ballot, though.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#81 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM

I took my DD on the way to drop her off at preschool and my husband is taking DS.

My DD loved it! they gave her a piece of paper to pretend like she was voting too and she even got to put it on the machine and pretend to push it in.
#82 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM

I planned to but they fell asleep on the way! So I picked Marc up and he stayed in the car while I voted and vice versa. Maybe next election....they'll be 9 and 7, so they probably won't be falling asleep in the car anymore.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#83 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

We just got back. DS really enjoyed pressing the big lit up "Cast Vote" button, but almost hit it before I finished (I'd put in my candidates, but hadn't answered the questions) since the button was right at toddler level.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#84 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM

I took mine.

They were excited. We colored in our circles, slipped the ballot in the box, and then everyone got a sticker. Much happiness for a 3 and a 2 year old!

We're even having a family party tonight - pizza & popcorn & chocolate chip cookies with Beverages for the grownups and (rare) juice for the littles. Everyone is excited for tonight!! "Today is Voting Day!" they keep saying.

It is exciting.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#85 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM

I took my 2 year old this morning

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#86 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I took mine.

They were excited. We colored in our circles, slipped the ballot in the box, and then everyone got a sticker. Much happiness for a 3 and a 2 year old!

We're even having a family party tonight - pizza & popcorn & chocolate chip cookies with Beverages for the grownups and (rare) juice for the littles. Everyone is excited for tonight!! "Today is Voting Day!" they keep saying.

It is exciting.
I have a 2 and 3 year old as well, and they also came with us. Same story, basically. We colored in our circles while the kids read books next to us and a lady working the site talked with them, then we went and slipped the ballot in the electronic box (what joy!), and then we asked the lady for stickers. Unfortunately, they did not have stickers in our city (friends at work verified it was true for their in-city voting locations) . So instead I let my children get a treat at the bakesale being held to benefit the early childhood center at our voting location. We treated it as a very special day. I also took election day photos of the kids while they chanted that we were going to vote for Barack Obama. :

We're on the east coast so the kids won't be able to stay up for result parties...they're actually going to bed right now. But I am heading off for a short time to a local bar where there is a results party happening. I have been teary all day. This is a historic moment I have waited for, for many, many years.

It has been a while since I have voted in smaller elections, but I am planning to re-start. When I do, I will be bringing the kids to that as well.

ETA P.S. I too remember going with my mother when she voted, and it always felt very special and very important. During my childhood, my mother voted whenever there was the opportunity, large or small.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#87 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 PM

I took two of mine.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#88 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Dh took dd at 6:30 AM. She charmed lots of people, he told me. But when I took her at 9:30, she was a little more.... spirited. But I only had to wait 30 minutes, versus dh who had to wait 1 hour.

I have fond memories of going with my parents to vote.
#89 of 92 Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Off topic, sorry, but where are all the threads about the election? I haven't found any, and seeing as though I find it very interesting and exciting, I would absolutely think that all the Americans in here do.
It's 1.51 am. here, and I'm following the election on BBC, CNN and a norwegian channel.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#90 of 92 Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 AM

I only had to drop off my ballot but both my kids were with me. My daughter even picked out special clothes "to be pretty for the voting party." She was a little put out by the I Voted sticker though since she didn't actually vote. She really wanted to stay up and watch the results and asked lots of great questions today like "What will happen if the candidate we don't want to win gets elected?" (Not applicable!) I love her interest and enthusiasm! She's been with me for every election since her birth.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page