How much laundry does your child generate in a week? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For reasons that are irrelevant here, we usually wash my stepdaughter's clothes from her mom's house.

SD is here on weekends, so a week with her mom is 5 days. She attends school (1st grade) and there is no uniform.

In this week's load, I counted:
Two pairs of sheets/pillowcases
Four skirts
Three pairs of pants
One pair of shorts
Two long-sleeve shirts
Two sweaters
One dress (sleeveless, jumper-style)
Four short-sleeve shirts
Four pairs of pajamas and two more "pairs" of unmatched pajamas
A pair of snowpants (? -- no snow yet, no snow in forecast, it's 58 degrees out today)
At least 8 pairs of underwear, a pair of tights, several pairs (and not-pairs--SD tends to wear socks that match in style but not in color) of socks.

This is similar to previous loads, so it's not built up over a couple of weeks.

When SD is here, she uses one pair of pajamas at night and one outfit during the day, unless she really gets dirty. If she decides to change into something for a couple of hours for whatever reason, we don't normally wash it.

I'm wondering what the range of normal is--I know some people change their children out of school clothes and into home/play clothes, and some people have their kids sleep in their next-day clothes...so, what's your range?

(I should add: It isn't a problem for us to do this much laundry--we usually just pop it in with whatever else we're doing--so this is more curiosity than anything.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#2 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm sure ds generates the low end of laundry. He homeschools so doesn't have to wear a different outfit each day so as to not attract notice, lol. He has mild sensory concerns about messy things so avoids mucky things like mud. He cosleeps so uses the same sheets as we do. He doesn't wear pajamas to bed (sometimes he wears them around the house as lounge wear).

He probably goes through 1 towel, a couple pairs of pants, a few shirts, 4 pairs of underpants in a week. He hasn't started wearing socks for the season. If his clothes don't smell or have stuff on them, I hand them to him to wear again.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 PM

This seems about right to me. My 5 yo dd might actually go through a few more items, too! It's amazing!
#4 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Yup, that seems about right. My DD is also in school 5 days a week, has activities she changes for, goofs around and plays dressup in her clothes (and dirties them with food, etc.)

Do people really put their kids to sleep in next day clothes? Wow - isn't that uncomfortable??
#5 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The only thing on that list that seems "out of the range of normal" is the 2 pairs of sheets/pillowcases. We generally change the sheets once a week or once every 2 weeks around here. Does she wet the bed?

RainCoastMama- I've had DD2 sleep in her clothes so she'd have an easier time getting ready for school the next day. This was a HUGE struggle for us (she had trouble waking up on time, and anything that shaved 5-10 minutes off the morning rush was worth it.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
Do people really put their kids to sleep in next day clothes? Wow - isn't that uncomfortable??
I'd put ds in a clean t-shirt and undies and he'd just pull on pants when he went to school. That's what I do, myself. If it were cold enough, he could wear sweatpants. He only wears comfy clothes anyway so they are just as comfortable as pjs.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 AM

I wash my kids' laundry about twice a week, when the hamper is full. Generally they wear one pair of undies and pants per day, average 1.5 shirts per day per kid. I wash their sheets when they get peed on.
#8 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 AM

My DS is 7. Barring strange circumstances, he wears one outfit each day and one set of sleep clothes each night. He changes underwear every morning and after every bath. So maybe 10-12 pairs of underwear, 7 outfits, and 7 sets of sleep clothes each week?
#9 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
The only thing on that list that seems "out of the range of normal" is the 2 pairs of sheets/pillowcases. We generally change the sheets once a week or once every 2 weeks around here. Does she wet the bed?
Nope, not since she was 4 or so. (And wet/pukey sheets don't get sent here, because, well, eew at letting them fester in a wicker laundry basket for a week.)

I just find interesting the differences between laundry at our house and laundry at Mom's house. (When SD is here during the summer, she still usually does one outfit for day camp, and one for night. Maybe we're just less picky about just how dirty constitutes time for a change.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#10 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 AM

my DD goes through a bunch of clothes...not quite as much as she used to but she definitely goes through about 15 pairs of underwear in 4 days.
#11 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM

My 5-year old boy has about 7 shirts, 7 pants, 8-9 underwear, 8 pairs of socks, and 2-3 sweatshirts per a week in the wash. We all wear our pajamas a few days before washing them. So, I usually wash about 2 sets of pajamas a week for him. (I must say that I was pretty surprised that the rest of you all wear clean pajamas every night. I had no idea people did that!!! I only own one pair of pajamas for each season.) Other than that, I wash his towel once a week. His bed is incredibly hard to make, so his sheets only get washed once in a while or if they get wet.
#12 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Well, we have school uniformsk, which probably changes things a bit. They never stay clean enough to use twice between washes, but I do have them change as soon as they get home so they don't increase the risk of torn or stained. So, in a 5 day week, each child would probably go through:

5 uniform shirts
5 uniform jumpers/shorts
1 sports uniform (taken to school on Monday, home on Thursday for launry)
10-15 pairs of undies (at least 2 each day, plus DS wears them at night)
5-10 pairs socks/tights
5 play skirts/shorts/pants
5 pairs PJs or something similar
5 play shirts
2 sport uniforms (varies by season, but always something)
Add sweaters or sweatshirts during the winter
1 dressy outfit for something or other
1 specialty uniform (Daisy Scouts, Adventure Guides...) because they always get snack on them
1 set of sheets
1 set of towels
1 swim suit

In other words, we do lots of laundry!
#13 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 AM

That sounds like about what my kids go through, except the sheets - we only change those once every two weeks unless dd1 pees. Or one of the cats does. Don't ask. Dd2 still sleeps with us, so she doesn't generate sheets yet.

On average, my older dd will wear one outfit during the day, and jammies at night. BUT, sometimes there is an extra outfit, like if she changes to go outside and get muddy, or if she has worn a nice dress to school and I don't want her lying around on the floor in it, etc.

So we would probably average say 10 outfits in a seven day week. That said, it is sometimes higher during changing seasons, when it is cool in the morning and hot in the afternoon, or on days when dd1 just hasn't accepted that summer is over and insists on shorts only to get cold and change later. Or on days we have soup and dh forgets a bib... you get the drift.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#14 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
Nope, not since she was 4 or so. (And wet/pukey sheets don't get sent here, because, well, eew at letting them fester in a wicker laundry basket for a week.)

I just find interesting the differences between laundry at our house and laundry at Mom's house. (When SD is here during the summer, she still usually does one outfit for day camp, and one for night. Maybe we're just less picky about just how dirty constitutes time for a change.)
She might just be a little more bored at her Mom's house. My girls changed clothes a lot on days when we didn't have much planned - they could generate some impressive piles of laundry quickly. On days or weeks when we were pretty busy, much less laundry. That sounds like an average amount
#15 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 AM

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I wouldn't think anything of it.
#16 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM

I sprained my ankle last week and was not able to anything for a whole week! yesturday was my first up and I spent the whole day doing nothing but laundry!!! I usually have to do about 2 loads a day (1 of clothes, 1 of towels or blankets) to keep up with things, so a whole weeks worth was really hard, I'm still not done!! But there are also 6 of us and my kids love playing and getting dirty, and they refuse to use the same pj's more than once?.?.? As for towels, I usually have to mop up the floor of the bathroom with them after the kids are out of the tub so they go straight in the laundry each time... Then I have to wash blankets and sheets at least once a week in hot water and borax because my kids are allergic to dust mites and it can trigger a reaction so bad I end up in the ER with them. I also have to do the same with stuffed toys, so I have more than the normal load of laundry.
#17 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM

I don't know exactly because ds's stuff gets washed with ours. But I'd say in one week he generates 7-10 shirts, 7 pants, 7 undies, 7 pairs of socks, 5-7 long sleeve shirts (in winter), and one set of sheets.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#18 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM

DS goes through a lot more, DD goes through a lot less. DS probably goes through 3-4 pairs of shorts/pants and underwear a day as he has lots of accidents (we homeschool, not really a big deal). Plus he often goes through a couple shirts a day at least as he's really messy. DD is a lot neater and cleaner. Sometimes she wears the same clothes for a second day.
#19 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Not nearly that much laundry here, less than a full load for a kid.

We don't use different pajamas every night, maybe one pair last 3 or 4 nights. So two pairs a week.

Underwear gets changed every morning, so 7 a week.

Sheets every couple week.

Sweaters you wear over something else don't get washed unless they're visibly dirty.

My kids have never been interested in changing clothes mid day so whatever they wear, they wear it from morning to bedtime.
#20 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

a typical week
5 sets of uniform "bottoms (whirts pants or jumpers)
5 uniform shirts
10-14 sets of underware (she ussally changes at night)
5-7 other pants or shorts
5-7 other shirts
5 pair of socks
1-3 dresses
2-3 sets of PJs

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#21 of 23 Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Gosh, I'm not sure.
Uniform pants and shirts 5 days per week
different outfit for each for soccer practice 2 times per week
soccer uniform on Saturdays as well as clean clothing for afterward
1 outfit typically on Sundays
pjs get worn twice, 3-4 pair per week
socks and underwear for each day
sheets once per week
towels we use more than once, maybe 3 towels per week

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#22 of 23 Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
DS changes the following daily:
tops
bottoms (although jeans will usually get worn twice before washing)
underwear
socks

Every other day:
PJs
bath towel
sweatshirt

Once a week:
bed sheets

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#23 of 23 Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 AM

Just today my 4 year old dd wore: undies, a tank top & jeans, layered with a long sleeve shirt and shorts, and on top of that another long sleeve and soft pants ("to be pretty for the voting party"), on top of that a sweater, and one pair of socks. Somehow she didn't feel the need to change clothes today. I guess three outfits at once did the trick.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page