Fine Motor Skills 6 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 6 and he is just starting to read. His comprehension is excellent (has been for some time) but his writing/fine motor control is not. He is just starting to be able to print letters so you can actually read them.
It took him a long time to be able to draw a circle that was round, and his coloring has improved since starting kindergarten, he pretty much stays within the lines, unless he's rushing.

Is it normal for the motor skills to be behind the cognitive skills like this? He has sensory issues and is not very physically coordinated.
He is doing tae kwon do and I think it's really helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM

My 5.5 y/o daughter is the same. She is extremely verbal and has a great memory, but is either unable or uninterested in coloring and/or forming letters neatly. I figure she'll get there eventually. I think 6 is still pretty young and it will come. Although, honestly, I know plenty of really smart adults who have bad handwriting.

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
Is it normal for the motor skills to be behind the cognitive skills like this? He has sensory issues and is not very physically coordinated.
He is doing tae kwon do and I think it's really helping.
I don't think so. Have you thought about Occupational Therapy for his sensory issues?

Our son has sensory processing disorder, and with that some motor planning issues. His handwriting is considerably behind his reading ability. OT helped his motor planning tremendously. It got his fine motor skills/writing from about 1 1/2 behind his age to the sloppy side of 'typical'. But I still have to explain to his teachers that they can get EITHER content or neat handwriting, but not both.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM

It certainly couldn't hurt to get OT or more info. I have a little boy like this in my first grade class this year (I'm the assistant not the teacher), and the fine motor issues are making it very difficult to keep up with the class. The longer it takes him to do simple writing tasks, the farther behind he gets. Good luck
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM

I would look into OT for him. You can ask for an evaluation through the school system if you would like. My ds sounds at the same level. He will be 6 tomorrow and is in first grade. This is his third year in school and it has been a struggle. We are finally getting the ot he needs because we have fought the school system on it. I do think that some kids just are made that way and need a little help. This is his first year his writing is legible. His teacher this year has a lot of experience teaching younger kids who have problems too so that is a big advantage.

The schools will try to not give you help for the sensory issues because they will say there is no educational need. you can try to get it for the fine motor skills and if you get a good therapist, they will work on the sensory issues also.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!
He just started Kindergarten in September, so I wanted to give him a chance first. He is the contrary type who doesn't like to be pushed, so last year during preschool if I tried to get him interested in a writing or coloring exercise for practice, he'd refuse. I figured once he got in the habit of writing (which he only started in September), he'd get better, and I have seen an improvement since then.
I really need to talk to his teacher again, I spoke with her a few weeks ago and she said he was doing fine.

His sensory issues have been escalating lately, he is having a hard time getting dressed in the morning due to clothing intolerance, and is also getting even more picky than usual about his food. We've always been able to get around his issues with food but now it's starting to limit his diet to the point where I feel intervention is necessary. He is thin, so that makes me worry more than I normally would.

I also have health issues myself (going through chemo) so that is definately stressing us all out and I haven't been able to focus on his issues. I guess I'll be asking his ped for an OT consult.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Good luck. I have a friend whose daughter had clothing issues and I know she was really frustrated by it.

My son is 4.5 and his preschool teacher is trying to get him an OT consult due to his fine motor skills. It's not like he should be writing much at this age but he has this really funky grip on his pencil and is having some trouble even tracing letters, etc.

Good luck as well with your chemo. I bet that is a big stress for everyone. My SIL just went through 8 treatments for ovarian cancer.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM

My 6 yr old has the same problem. I don't think OP is necessary. I homeschool so have been able to help him a little more, but I just help him develop his fine motor skills by giving him activities that strenghthen those muscles. I bought some clay that was fairly hard to work with and I use dry beans to mix into the middle of it and hand it to my son and he has to treasure hunt to find the beans. I also use the same clay and squash it down in a cookie sheet and have my son write shapes and letters, or draw pictures in it. It has helped a lot, and is a lot cheaper than OP.

Sorry, I just finished reading all the posts, I had just read the first few before. I'm sorry about what your family is going through. Chemo can be tough on everyone. I hope everything turns out for the best. (lots of hugs and prayers)
Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
mama you seem to have a lot going on in your life. chemo and then all his coming up.

an OT will at least bring a little structure in your life so you dont feel guilty when you are not able to do it.

also he just might have upper body weakness that some PT might help strengthen which may or may not be related to SPD.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM

My almost 6 yr. old has terrible handwriting. It's improving with practice, but is remarkably bad still. I think it's just normal for kindergarteners.

User Tag List