Does your 5/6 year old still wet the bed/or where something at night - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im just wondering how many kids who are 5/6 still wet at night? My son still pee's at night at least twice a week. The reason im asking is because my daughter just turned 2 and is dry most nights.
My 6 year old is a boy and I've read that it takes them longer. Luckily he has cloth pull ups so I dont need to buy anything.
#2 of 44 Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
yes, my 6 yo. boy occasionally wets the bed.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 AM

My 6yr old can go weeks without peeing the bed, then pee twice in a week. It's really random.
#4 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 01:17 AM

My 6 year old hasn't since she turned 6 but that was last Sunday LOL she didn't even fully train till 4.5 years and we do occasionally get nighttime accidents but its pretty rare now. He'll stop when his body is ready.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 AM

Nope, both of my boys have been fine since right before they turned 4. So for Evan that was just in the past few wks he's been o.k. most nights. Last night he wasn't o.k. I've read several times it can take to age 8 or so for the bladder to catch up. Were you or your SO bedwetters? It seems to be genetic just from talking to other moms who have gone through this.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 01:25 AM

My 6yr old dd has a soaking pull-up every morning. I hope she grows out of it soon, but Im not holding my breath

Decluttering 500/2010
#7 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 02:47 AM

My kids don't but I attribute that to E/C don't know for sure if that's true but it's my guess.
I however wet the bed nightly probably until 11 or 12 and even had a couple accidents into my teen years. It was horribly embarassing but I cold not help it.
I was just a kid who slept like a rock and nothing could wake me.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#8 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 02:55 AM

my boy is 6 next month and still wets every night. He does have developmental delays though, and his 3yo sister wets the same.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#9 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 05:55 AM

Both of mine were dry-ish at 3/4 and then got worse at 6. Don't use disposable pull-ups: one of mine came up with the wonderful, wonderful game where he would see how much a pullup could hold and deliberately hold his urine until bedtime : They were both dry by 7.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 AM

DS (developmentally delayed also) will be 8 on the 19th and he still wets every night (I usually take him potty once, but he sometimes still soaks). He wears pull-ups and I am just praying for the day he stops.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#11 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 AM

My son who will be 6 in February still has a full pull up almost every night. His (male) cousin who is a year older than him still wets as well. Since his cousin is the only person who my son ever does sleepovers with, my son has no idea it isn't normal to wear a pull up to bed at this age.
#12 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost-5 daughter just started wetting (she'd been dry at night for several years) after a growth spurt. She has more accidents some weeks, less others. She HATES pull-ups, but sometimes we sneak one on her after she falls asleep. I'm guessing it will ease up as her bladder catches up. Otherwise, I may look into Hyland's homeopathic bedwetting remedy in the future. (http://www.hylands.com/products/bedwetting.php) HTH!!

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#13 of 44 Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
My 6yr old can go weeks without peeing the bed, then pee twice in a week. It's really random.
Same with my DS who is 6.5yrs. So he stills wear a goodnight just in case

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#14 of 44 Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 AM

My 6 year old just started waking up dry at times. He is wet most mornings. He is autistic and does have other developmental delays. My 4 year old has been dry at night for close to two years and has only had a handfull of accidents at all when potty learning(very quickly due to sensory issues). Ds2 nurses at night still too. He can hold his pee like no other during the day and only likes going at home so he has some issues involving that(to say the least).

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#15 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 AM

My DS 5 1/2 still wets occasionally-especially if sick or anxious (first month of school). Also if I forget to remind him to go before bed. We don't do pull-ups. I just wash a lot of sheets some days. It's very sporadic.
#16 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 AM

I've read that 50% of little boys age 5 still wet the bed occasionally.

I know my almost-five son does. We have mother of eden nighttime training pants that he wears to bed, so we don't worry about it.
#17 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 AM

My 4.75yo wets nearly every night. If we can wake him up enough to "go" around 10pm, he will almost always make it dry to the am, but that's not always successful. I'd love to hear if anyone has a cloth solution for a really heavy nighttime wetter, I hate buying all these pullups when I work hard to keep the little ones in cloth most of the time.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#18 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 AM

My dd is 5 and she wets the bed every single night. She does not wear anything like pull ups (she says they make her feel like a baby so I'm not going to push that with her) so I wash her sheets each day. I get up 3 times a night....at midnight, at 3am and again at 6am to take her to the restroom, change her clothes, whatever.....and no matter how often I take her to use the restroom, she is still soaking wet each time I get up.
#19 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 AM

Gromero,
You should probably stop waking your kid up in the middle of the night and accept is not ready yet for this.
Kids have control over this when they can spend the night without going to to the loo. Waking them up is contrary to the objective and just disturbs everybody's sleep.
There is a lot of information about this. You can try http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40002178/
#20 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 AM

My 4 year old has only wet the bed once since coming home from school at 3 years old and declaring he didn't want to wear dipes any more and that was when he was sick. My 7 year old probably would wet the bed, but she partially sits up and screams and cries and we know then to hurry and put her on the toilet (otherwise she probably would still wet the bed). We have found that when our DD eats sugary items in excess or drinks milk in the evening that this happens more frequently.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#21 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM

My ds (5) doesn't wet the bed at night and hasn't since he potty learned at 3 1/2 (did it completely on his own, I was fine with nighttime diapers but he kept telling me "that's not the way we do it", meaning he needed unders instead of a diaper. He's been dry since!). My 6 1/2 year old sister still wears pull-ups/underjams/goodnights and is wet most mornings.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM

My dd is 8 and still needs a pull-up. She does not wet the bed every night but it is still wet more often than not. My neice wet the bed until she was 9 and even after that still had the occasional accident util she was 12.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#23 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM

My 8 year old ds still frequently wets the bed. He won't wear anything. I double layer his bed, so when he wets, he strips off the first layer, changes and then goes back to bed.
#24 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Nuala, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was not willing to accpect the fact that my dd was not yet ready to night train, because it's quite opposite. I don't wake her because *I* want to...trust me, I'd rather be sleeping. But she wakes irregardless....if she wakes by herself, she wakes up screaming crying freaking out because she is wet . She does not like waking up soaking wet.....sometimes it is head to toe. After lots of trial and error (and talking with our pedi and reading lots of info as well), we found that what works best for us was to wake her up, take her potty and change her undies and sheets (I just pull the wet ones off and throw a new blanket on top of the bed....she also has a waterproof mattress cover), and she is back to sleep in seconds.

I do realize that this won't normally work for other families, but like I said, we have found that this works best for us.

Dh wet his bed until he was 13, and 8 out of 24 cousins on dh's side of the family have wet their bed till the average age of 9.

But thank you for the info....I will read it later tonight after I put the kids to sleep.
#25 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM

my 5 yr old does every great once in a while. Usually it's when he has drank a ton of milk before bed without using the bathroom or he falls asleep super early.

He doesn't wear a pull-up or diaper though as it's not too often and we just change the sheets and wash his jammies when it happens.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#26 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have any six years olds anymore, but none of mine were wetting at that age. My eldest was in pull-ups at night until she was around 4.5, but my other two were dry at night at the same time they were out of diapers during the day, 2ys 9 mos (DD) and 2 1/2 yrs (DS). My eldest was out of diapers during the day on her 2nd birthday.

Have you considered this might be food intolerance, diary and gluten are the major culprits.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#27 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 06:55 PM

DS is a month shy of 6, and we just started wearing underwear at night instead of pullups because he was waking up dry most of the time. He has had a few accidents the first week of it (I am guessing nervousness and adjusting to it), but since then seems to be doing fine. I myself was still sometimes wetting the bed at night at age 6, maybe even 7.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#28 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM

My DS who will be 7 in 2 months is still wets the bed if we don't take him to the bathroom in the middle of the night. He gave up the Goodnights a long time ago because they make him feel like a baby. DH was a bed wetter until puberty so he and I are very careful not to make a big deal about it when he does have an accident.
#29 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 PM

My son was still wetting every single night at age seven until we finally tried the bed-wetting alarm and that thing was a miracle! After just a few weeks he was accident free. I only wish I had bought it earlier. It was not cheap, but it ended up being cheaper than continually buying Goodnights.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#30 of 44 Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 PM

I'll join the chorus of voices.

My eldest dd still needs a diaper at night, and she is 6.5. Dd2 is dry most nights, but she turned 3 in July. I continued to pee while sleeping until my teens, so dd1's peeing at night isn't setting any red flags for me. We don't do any kind of waking them up at night, since that didn't work for me either (nothing did). We much prefer the stance of just accepting what is going on and knowing it will stop eventually. And man, am I thankful for goodnites!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page